Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The sky is not falling

Started by SquidBilly, January 20, 2008, 06:08:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

Before everyone goes off the deep end with the news that a couple of guys have decommitted we need to all step back and take an objective view of the situation.  The players that so far have decommitted were Nutt recruits not Petrino recruits.  Petrino said when he got here that he would honor all scholarship offers of  instate recruits but at no point did he say he wanted all of them.  As far as the out of state guys go, so far the ones that have decommitted seem to have not been visited by Petrino.  This tells you something doesn't it?  Let's not forget that since Petrino has gotten here we have picked up a five star QB and a 4 star QB, and all of the in state talent that Petrino has made a big push for, the Camden and Warren guys, are still onboard.  He did not get a 41-9 record at Louisville by accident.  He knows what he is doing and knows what type of players he needs.  We have to trust him on this.  What have we won with Nutt's talent in the past, never a SEC championship and never made a BCS bowl?  And before anyone says Nutt recruited Mcfadden, no he didn't.  Mcfadden wanted to be a Razorback so badly that he would have come even if Oklahawg was coaching the team.  Well maybe not but you know what I'm saying.  :)   

forrest city joe

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 20, 2008, 06:08:01 pm
Before everyone goes off the deep end with the news that a couple of guys have decommitted we need to all step back and take an objective view of the situation.  The players that so far have decommitted were Nutt recruits not Petrino recruits.  Petrino said when he got here that he would honor all scholarship offers of  instate recruits but at no point did he say he wanted all of them.  As far as the out of state guys go, so far the ones that have decommitted seem to have not been visited by Petrino.  This tells you something doesn't it?  Let's not forget that since Petrino has gotten here we have picked up a five star QB and a 4 star QB, and all of the in state talent that Petrino has made a big push for, the Camden and Warren guys, are still onboard.  He did not get a 41-9 record at Louisville by accident.  He knows what he is doing and knows what type of players he needs.  We have to trust him on this.  What have we won with Nutt's talent in the past, never a SEC championship and never made a BCS bowl?  And before anyone says Nutt recruited Mcfadden, no he didn't.  Mcfadden wanted to be a Razorback so badly that he would have come even if Oklahawg was coaching the team.  Well maybe not but you know what I'm saying.  :)   
Right on the money. it's much ado about nothing.

Hawgvillain

I agree.  It's too bad we are losing some of these guys but I'm not overly concerned yet.  I have a feeling that BP brought in most of the guys he thought were solid Hogs this weekend (with the exception of JA and AD) and we will start to pick up some commits next weekend when more of the guys that are not already committed start coming in.  In other words, BP wanted to make sure these guys were solid and now he knows what holes he needs to fill in the next few weeks. 

I will wait until signing day to pass judgment...

Hog Fan from Camden

I think Petrino has definate plan.  This year more that any he will be forced to make some tough choices!  I for one will not by into this 'sky is falling' attitude because a few recruits decommitted.

Hog Fan from Camden

Anyway, +1 for the post ATLpiggie!

hawgwash

Not to quibble, but didn't BP say he would honor ALL of the scholarship offers extended by the Nutt staff, both in-state and out-of-state?  I get the difference between saying you will "honor" scholarship offers and "showing love" so that someone knows they are REALLY wanted, and I know he said he something to the effect of building a fence around the state, but I don't recall him making that distinction in terms of honoring offers.

ntubjr

Wait till next weekend when we have over 23 coming;most of whom are not committed

HamShank

Quote from: ntubjr on January 20, 2008, 06:23:15 pm
Wait till next weekend when we have over 23 coming;most of whom are not committed

23?  Where's that list?  I've only read of 6 or 7.

silverhawg

I know for a fact that McFadden would"ve come even with me coaching

Hogaliciousness

I thought he said he will honor all the prior Ark. commitments.  That is a far cry from chasing or encouraging a recruit he really doesn't think is a fit in his system.  So some that fall off the hook may actually help out in the long run by opening up schollies for guys that fit his system.  The last two weekends will be critical and will likely involve some "do you want to be a Hog or not"...type decisions.

With only two weeks on the trail and negative hype used by HDN and others, expect this.  One's a coach and one's your BFF.  We'll see really soon.  However, this is like a day-trading mentality versus a long term investor...Some are getting caught up in all the movement as opposed to waiting until signing day and evaluating the class of recruits. 

At the end of the day, celebrate the incredible recruits who are here and want to win for the Hogs.  Don't sweat those who choose to go elsewhere.  Good luck to them.  Good coaching to ours. 
I am ready for some football!

txkrazorback

Mcfadden wanted to be a Razorback so badly that he would have come even if Oklahawg was coaching the team.  Well maybe not but you know what I'm saying.  :)   
+1 That is SO FUNNY!
The weakest thread post I know of in the history of Hogville: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=207820.msg3219371#msg3219371

BTW: If you need to remember the rules...http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?action=rules

Torqued pork

January 20, 2008, 06:34:37 pm #11 Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 06:46:16 pm by Bubbaswinestein
Getting Joe Adams and/or A. Dean from Katy, Texas would more than make up for the recruits that commited to TCTWF instead of the U of A.

And let us not forget there's no way Mallett would be a Hog had TCTWF still been here. :)

COCHISE

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on January 20, 2008, 06:34:37 pm
Getting Joe Adams and/or A. Davis from Katy, Texas would more than make up for the recruits that commited to TCTWF instead of the U of A.

And let us not forget there's no way Mallett would be a Hog had TCTWF still been here. :)
A. Dean from Katy

Demaghog

WTH?  A 3-star lineman switches and all of the sudden Nutt is kicking our ass? 

There is a strong possibility of landing Joe Adams, Aundre Dean, and Aaron Boyd-- all four star players that would not have signed with Nutt.  We have a good chance of signing the best class we have ever had, and that doesn't even include Mallett in the rankings!  Our recruiting is improving.

Also Mallett + Petrino >>>>> Mallett + Nutt

Torqued pork

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on January 20, 2008, 06:47:16 pm
My bad. So many recruits and such little time.

Well D-mac is doing his part....
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

PigPusher

Quote from: TheHOGDog_111 on January 20, 2008, 06:14:15 pm
I think Petrino has definite plan.  This year more that any he will be forced to make some tough choices!  I for one will not by into this 'sky is falling' attitude because a few recruits decommitted.

Fixed that for you.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 20, 2008, 07:20:17 pm

Care to elaborate?  Was he on campus this weekend to help with recruiting?

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hog Waller

Amen...Thank goodness for a voice of reason.  So many posts today are all about gloom and doom.  Doesn't anyone think that Coach Petrino a) has a plan and b) is evaluating current commits to see if they really fit into the Hogs future system or he can recruit better?  To many posts about recruit x decommiting when in reality the only commitment was a verbal (that doesn't matter, especially as these impressionable kids make their visits).  Look at the other side of the coin where we have 3 & 4 stars coming to visit that we have never heard of...we've been hearing about these all week long.  There is a post today of some OL from FT. Worth, TX rated as a 4 or 5 star, depending on the source, coming to visit next week...he wasn't on any of our radars as possible recruits.  If we are going to sign some of these higher rated players, we need to cut bait with some of the ones with verbal commits to Nutt.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on January 20, 2008, 07:20:17 pm
D-mac commited to the Hogs early in the recruiting process and never even visited another school so I'm not surprised.

Hog Fan from Camden

LJHOG

I am thinking Aundre Dean is UCLA bound.  Big city kid looking for a big city in which to play.

Razorvet

LA is big and dirty. If he walks down the wrong street he will get harrased by the cops bc he is young and black. I lived in LA for a few years and saw alot of things I would just as soon forget. My job required me to travel almost every street in LA from the richest to the scariest. Believe me it gets scary. I would compare certain parts of the city somalia. If thats big city then I will take the hill anyday.

Torqued pork

Quote from: LJHOG on January 20, 2008, 08:15:21 pm
I am thinking Aundre Dean is UCLA bound.  Big city kid looking for a big city in which to play.
Also, Aundre has said he doesn't like cold weather. The bad things about UCLA are its apathetic fan base and the Bruins are a distant second to the Trojans within LA concerning all things football.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on January 20, 2008, 08:46:52 pm
Also, Aundre has said he doesn't like cold weather. The bad things about UCLA are its apathetic fan base and the Bruins are a distant second to the Trojans within LA concerning all things football.

I bet he'd take cold weather over an earthquake anyday.  I lived in Silicon valley for a while and went through a minor earthquake and that was one of the scarier things I've ever experienced.  They are about due for another big one in the LA area.  Cold weather just means more running the ball.  He'd be wise to consider that.

LAHOGG

Quote from: Razorvet on January 20, 2008, 08:39:17 pm
LA is big and dirty. If he walks down the wrong street he will get harrased by the cops bc he is young and black. I lived in LA for a few years and saw alot of things I would just as soon forget. My job required me to travel almost every street in LA from the richest to the scariest. Believe me it gets scary. I would compare certain parts of the city somalia. If thats big city then I will take the hill anyday.

This may be true about USC but not UCLA.  Its in Westwood right next to Brentwood not too far from Santa Monica and about 10 miles from Malibu.  In other words, its a nice area for wondering around drunk in the middle of the night.  He would have to drive to get to the shady areas.

LR wins vs NWA

SquidBilly

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 20, 2008, 07:38:21 pm
Thanks, ATL, I think. :)

Don't mention it.  I figure that working a mods name into a post, regardless of how, has to be worth a few applause points.  :)

Oklahawg

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 20, 2008, 10:17:51 pm
Don't mention it.  I figure that working a mods name into a post, regardless of how, has to be worth a few applause points.  :)

Now, we're not being a karma whore, are we?  ;)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Its that time of year, folks. 17- and 18-year olds making up their mind and then changing it again. Hard to ride the rollercoaster but fine nonetheless.

The Coletrain

Nothing really means anything until the LOI is signed and faxed in on NSD.  Lot of stuff will transpire between now and then.   
Razorbacks, Cardinals, and Cowboys!!  A 30+ year addiction.

method_hog

Kevin

we as fans have spent the last 5 or so years complaining about nutts recruiting.  now we are worried about him taking his commitments away from us.  why?

this class will be ok

then, i look for this staff to kick into a gear, we have not seen here.

please, don't sweat this class.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jgphillips3

No matter what happens, we are going to have a lot of good young men sign with this program in a couple of weeks.  We may lose a few, but I feel that once Petrino has a full year to work on getting the players he wants, it will all be fine.  If Nuttjob steals a kid or two that were his recruits anyway, fine.  His time is limited.  When his act wears off in a couple of years he will be over and we will be whipping them all over the field on a consistent basis.  I am looking down the road and the future looks really bright from where I sit.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Erockster20

The only reason I am worried, is because we are losing guys and we are not replacing them.  Hopefully we get some guys to committ fast, but it is "looking" like a sinking ship.

Big Austin

ComeonHogs!!!

Guys, Recruiting is about building a relationship. CBP has been on the trail 3 weeks. It will be amazing if he can salvage a top 30 class. These kids comitted to another coach with a totally different style. Players that like CBP style will start showing up on the radar. this year and the years that follow. We will get beat out some this year but less next and so on. IMHO CBP gets a total pass this year on recruits. i like what has allready shown up on campus this year. That is something to build on.

State Pride!!!

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: LAHOGG on January 20, 2008, 09:14:21 pm
This may be true about USC but not UCLA.  Its in Westwood right next to Brentwood not too far from Santa Monica and about 10 miles from Malibu.  In other words, its a nice area for wondering around drunk in the middle of the night.  He would have to drive to get to the shady areas.

What you fail to mention is traveling that 10 miles can take upwards of 2 hours.  Take it from someone who lived in Malibu ;D

hawgtime

Quote from: Kevin on January 21, 2008, 11:03:31 am
we as fans have spent the last 5 or so years complaining about nutts recruiting.  now we are worried about him taking his commitments away from us.  why?

this class will be ok

then, i look for this staff to kick into a gear, we have not seen here.

please, don't sweat this class.

i agree.  IF (very large IF) Nutt can get some this year, next year the product will sell itself and Petrino will be just fine.

once recruits see Nutt can't (won't) change, we will get the recruits that BP will bust his rump to get.

go hogs go