Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What did you grill/Smoke this week???

Started by BR, July 15, 2012, 08:42:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Pork chops are back on the grill and the menu set for The weekend.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

theFlyingHog

First competition today at Brickfest in Malvern. Ribs. Came in fourth place, which obviously doesn't get a prize. Super stoked though. Making plans to do the Go Hog Wild at Timberfest

DeltaBoy

We cooked Brawts, hot dogs and Hamburgers for the 4th .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PharmacistHog

Inspired by BR, pork belly burnt ends.

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

ImHogginIt

BR

BR's pulled pork, baked beans, cucumber salad and coleslaw... That's what's for Dinner.
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

BR

"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

PharmacistHog

Millennials suck...

Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

Boarcephus

Made this today.  Been wanting to try corn on the cob on the egg, Walmart had them on sale and that's all the encouragement I needed.  ;)  Soaked them for around 45 minutes then cooked them at 350 for around 50 minutes.  Did small lobsters and shrimp.  Ate well.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Nice!  Lobster is one thing I have NEVER cooked.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 13, 2017, 10:06:16 pm
Nice!  Lobster is one thing I have NEVER cooked.

You need to because they're really easy to do.  I split them, baste them with a garlic/butter mixture, start them off meat side down and flip them a couple times basting as I go.  I cook them at 350 and it doesn't take long.  These were the 5oz tails we picked up at Fresh Market.  There is a definite difference between the Maine tails and the ones you pick up at Sam's. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 13, 2017, 09:18:27 pm
Made this today.  Been wanting to try corn on the cob on the egg, Walmart had them on sale and that's all the encouragement I needed.  ;)  Soaked them for around 45 minutes then cooked them at 350 for around 50 minutes.  Did small lobsters and shrimp.  Ate well.

I was just about to ask you Boar how the lobster and corn fest went. Glad to see your post when I logged in.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 06:20:38 am
You need to because they're really easy to do.  I split them, baste them with a garlic/butter mixture, start them off meat side down and flip them a couple times basting as I go.  I cook them at 350 and it doesn't take long.  These were the 5oz tails we picked up at Fresh Market.  There is a definite difference between the Maine tails and the ones you pick up at Sam's. 

Leaving tonight for a week in florida. Gonna be a week of seafood goodness!
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 10:47:32 am
Leaving tonight for a week in florida. Gonna be a week of seafood goodness!

Have a fun and be safe.  I booked a condo for 10 nights the other day in Sandestin so I know what you mean about the seafood goodness.  What we plan on doing this year is taking my cast iron skillet I use on the BGE, swing by Shrimpers and try different kinds of fish on one of the grills they have by the pool.  That way we can see which ones we like the best and stock up on it for our trip home.  Our entire menu while we're there revolves around stuff we can't get fresh up here.  Plus, we'll probably go through 2-3 boxes of oysters while we're there.  ;) 

PharmacistHog

Last trip I took my small green egg and we cooked fresh fish on it most nights. Pretty good stuff. This trip we are staying at miramar beach. We are in a condo but have friends with a house across the parking lot. I figure we will do a lot of cooking at their place.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on July 14, 2017, 10:27:10 am
I was just about to ask you Boar how the lobster and corn fest went. Glad to see your post when I logged in.

Boog, turned out pretty darn good. I'll make a few changes and do it again in the next couple days.  I was a little surprised how long it took to cook them.  I was expecting 30 minutes or so but took close to an hour.  May not use all the husk, will chop off the ends and maybe put a hunk of butter in each one.  Just screw around with it. The idea was good but man, they took up some room!  Not sure I can talk the wife into letting me by another egg just to cook corn on!  ;) 

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 03:24:59 pm
Boog, turned out pretty darn good. I'll make a few changes and do it again in the next couple days.  I was a little surprised how long it took to cook them.  I was expecting 30 minutes or so but took close to an hour.  May not use all the husk, will chop off the ends and maybe put a hunk of butter in each one.  Just screw around with it. The idea was good but man, they took up some room!  Not sure I can talk the wife into letting me by another egg just to cook corn on!  ;) 

I've met your wife, she seems very reasonable to me.....if you promise to cook even more for her!

Gotta say, I'm surprised it took so long to cook. 35 mins always does it for me, but maybe I like mine a little under cooked, not sure.

I have another trick that I've been using for a couple of years. I will melt my butter into a small container and add just as much fresh squeezed lime juice to it as there is butter. I do add a little salt also. Brush it on after you've pulled back the husks. It's like a flavor burst in your mouth biting into good sweet corn and having that lime and salty flavor mix with it. Unless you don't like lime juice, humor me and try it just once.

PharmacistHog

The lime and butter corn sounds great!
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

I'm not at all opposed to trying that.  Actually sounds pretty darn good.  Trying to empty out the freezer so we can bring fish back from Destin so we're grilling out again tomorrow.  I'll swing by Walmart and pick up the corn.  One more question, when the husk just starts to burn, it's about ready isn't it?

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 05:52:17 pm
I'm not at all opposed to trying that.  Actually sounds pretty darn good.  Trying to empty out the freezer so we can bring fish back from Destin so we're grilling out again tomorrow.  I'll swing by Walmart and pick up the corn.  One more question, when the husk just starts to burn, it's about ready isn't it?

I turn my corn once, about halfway through the 35 minute cook. And yes, the husk will start to burn.

I'm getting a woody just thinking about my meal tomorrow. Ribeye, and the corn we've been talking about.....but also.... the first purple hull peas of the season. I've got a lady at the farmers market that is giving her first bag full to me tomorrow morning early. Will have some Cherokee purple tomatoe slices. The only thing that could add to this is if someone has some early okra I can buy also.

Boarcephus

May see you down there in the morning.  There's a lady selling oyster mushrooms I like to buy from.  Did you grow your tomatoes or buying them?

PharmacistHog

Which fishmarket do yall buy fish from to take home?
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

I buy all of my seafood from Shrimpers.  He flies an Arkansas flag in front of his business so he can't be all bad!  He told me it was gift from Huckabee who lives not far from there.  He has quality stuff and have always treated me great.  If you're going to be Destin, it's 3-4 miles east of 30A on the north side of the road.  He can get oysters with a day or so harvest date for around $56 a 30 pound box.   

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 06:56:22 pm
May see you down there in the morning.  There's a lady selling oyster mushrooms I like to buy from.  Did you grow your tomatoes or buying them?

I think I know your mushroom place and yeah, they look good.

Where I live, under all these oak trees, I can't grow anything that has to bloom and then turn into something. Not tomatoes, not peppers, not anything. I have to buy them all.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on July 14, 2017, 07:22:07 pm
I think I know your mushroom place and yeah, they look good.

Where I live, under all these oak trees, I can't grow anything that has to bloom and then turn into something. Not tomatoes, not peppers, not anything. I have to buy them all.

Swing by and I'll give you tomatoes.  I've got more than I can eat. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 07:03:49 pm
I buy all of my seafood from Shrimpers.  He flies an Arkansas flag in front of his business so he can't be all bad!  He told me it was gift from Huckabee who lives not far from there.  He has quality stuff and have always treated me great.  If you're going to be Destin, it's 3-4 miles east of 30A on the north side of the road.  He can get oysters with a day or so harvest date for around $56 a 30 pound box.   

We are staying at miramar beach. Not sure where that is in relation to where you mean. But its gotta be close.
Millennials suck...

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 07:25:25 pm
Swing by and I'll give you tomatoes.  I've got more than I can eat. 

Will do. Thanks man. I'll text you beforehand.

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 07:26:24 pm
We are staying at miramar beach. Not sure where that is in relation to where you mean. But its gotta be close.

Miramar Beach is Destin/Sandestin area.  Are you renting a condo or house?

PharmacistHog

Condo. Windancer. Have friends that are staying in a big house within walking distsnce of our condo. We are on the beach and they are just north of us across the parking lot.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 07:32:35 pm
Condo. Windancer. Have friends that are staying in a big house within walking distsnce of our condo. We are on the beach and they are just north of us across the parking lot.

Gotcha.  I know exactly where you're staying.  We're staying at Sandestin about a mile from where you'll be.  Shrimpers is about 6-7 miles dues east of the Silver Sands Outlet Mall on 98.  There is also one of our favorite restaurants a couple miles down the road from you. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 07:37:54 pm
Gotcha.  I know exactly where you're staying.  We're staying at Sandestin about a mile from where you'll be.  Shrimpers is about 6-7 miles dues east of the Silver Sands Outlet Mall on 98.  There is also one of our favorite restaurants a couple miles down the road from you. 

Which is?  We dont really have but one "favorite" which is louisiana lagniappe in destin. So Im all about something good and CLOSE. We like to go to baytown wharf each trip, too, and hang out a while.
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on July 14, 2017, 07:30:09 pm
Will do. Thanks man. I'll text you beforehand.

The sooner the better.  I've got a bunch ready right now. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 07:41:01 pm
Which is?  We dont really have but one "favorite" which is louisiana lagniappe in destin. So Im all about something good and CLOSE. We like to go to baytown wharf each trip, too, and hang out a while.

Ocean Club at Tops'l.  It's no more than a mile or so from where you're staying.  Check out their website.  We always go for their early bird dining which is from 5-6.  They have a 2 for one menu and we always get the Grouper Almondine.  It's a very nice, elegant restaurant.  You will not be disappointed.  Whatever the appetizer is, get it!  ;)  It's the first road to the right past the stoplight at the Sandestin entrance.  Need to try Stinky's Fishcamp.  It's 3-4 miles on the east side of the road off 30A.  We always go for lunch because dinner is too crowded. 

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 07:42:08 pm
The sooner the better.  I've got a bunch ready right now. 

I'll yell at you mid morning.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 07:51:05 pm
Ocean Club at Tops'l.  It's no more than a mile or so from where you're staying.  Check out their website.  We always go for their early bird dining which is from 5-6.  They have a 2 for one menu and we always get the Grouper Almondine.  It's a very nice, elegant restaurant.  You will not be disappointed.  Whatever the appetizer is, get it!  ;)  It's the first road to the right past the stoplight at the Sandestin entrance.  Need to try Stinky's Fishcamp.  It's 3-4 miles on the east side of the road off 30A.  We always go for lunch because dinner is too crowded. 

What kinda of dining attire is required?
Millennials suck...

PharmacistHog

Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 08:19:21 pm
What kinda of dining attire is required?

I wear a nice pair of shorts and a golf or button down shirt.  Definitely no tank tops and cutoffs!  Lot of people in slacks and button down shirts, some in dinner jackets.  It's a very nice place.  We always request a seat by the aquarium and watch the fish.  Even at 2 for 1 we still drop $70-75 but well worth is.  Grouper Almandine is around $35, appetizers run $12-15, plus tax and tip. If you get a chance, google their early bird menu.  We've been going there for 30 years.  What I like about it, besides the food, is we can walk to it from our condo. 

Boarcephus

PharmacistHog

Jeans and a polo would suffice then?  Sounds great!
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 08:33:02 pm
Jeans and a polo would suffice then?  Sounds great!

Should be fine.  I'd call for reservations though.  We always go in either April or October so it's not a problem for us but July is another deal. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 08:38:01 pm
Should be fine.  I'd call for reservations though.  We always go in either April or October so it's not a problem for us but July is another deal. 

Okay thanks a LOT!
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 08:44:10 pm
Okay thanks a LOT!

When you get back, let me know what you thought about it.  Safe travels.   

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 14, 2017, 08:49:49 pm
When you get back, let me know what you thought about it.  Safe travels.   

I'll
Probably update you from down there. I will have the whole family so restaurants are "fun". Wife and three boys (9,6, & 1 yr old).
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 08:53:15 pm
I'll
Probably update you from down there. I will have the whole family so restaurants are "fun". Wife and three boys (9,6, & 1 yr old).

LOL!!  Bet they are!  :)  Just Deb and I because the boy and grandkids are knee deep in baseball season in Texas.  One of these days we'll work out a deal to take the grandkids but until then, just us and that's not a bad gig. 

PharmacistHog

We finished baseball last week. I coach my 9 year old. We won state!
Millennials suck...

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 14, 2017, 09:17:39 pm
We finished baseball last week. I coach my 9 year old. We won state!

Congrats!  I think the boy's team came in 2nd or 3rd in the state but I understand he's been picked for a traveling team so it continues.  I know that can run into $$$ for mom and dad.   Certainly has changed since I was that age,  You guys have fun and if you have any questions on where to eat, holler.  We've been going every year since the mid 80's so we've been there a time or two.  I can even show you how to get to Jerry Jones little shack which is about a half a mile down the beach from where we stay. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on July 14, 2017, 03:45:42 pm
I have another trick that I've been using for a couple of years. I will melt my butter into a small container and add just as much fresh squeezed lime juice to it as there is butter. I do add a little salt also. Brush it on after you've pulled back the husks. It's like a flavor burst in your mouth biting into good sweet corn and having that lime and salty flavor mix with it. Unless you don't like lime juice, humor me and try it just once.

Tried this today and it's a winner!  Think I got my corn wrapped a little better today (cut the end off)  and it cooked in about 30-35 minutes.  That stuff is hard to beat.  Hope the tomatoes were good. 

Boog41

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 16, 2017, 12:59:14 pm
Tried this today and it's a winner!  Think I got my corn wrapped a little better today (cut the end off)  and it cooked in about 30-35 minutes.  That stuff is hard to beat.  Hope the tomatoes were good. 

Glad the corn worked out!! I had some myself Saturday along with the yummy tomatoes you gave me. Especially like the grape ones. Thanks man, I owe you one!

Boarcephus

Quote from: Boog41 on July 16, 2017, 06:09:03 pm
Glad the corn worked out!! I had some myself Saturday along with the yummy tomatoes you gave me. Especially like the grape ones. Thanks man, I owe you one!

Holler if you need more.  We had bacon and tomato sandwiches for breakfast and dinner today.  ;) 

PharmacistHog

Just got back from stinkys. Good eating!  Oysters rockefeller, crawfish tamales, grilled amberjack and fried shrimp.
Millennials suck...