Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs are no.1 in sec for...

Started by razorbacker3, February 09, 2017, 08:20:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Boarland

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 10, 2017, 04:54:48 pm
Crawl into your hidy hole and watch.....  this will pay the Hog program big dividends in recruiting.....
The parents of the real talent will be more concerned with getting to the league which is something CBB can sell. However, there are a long line of programs these players will pass that can say the same on the way to the U of A.

hogfan58

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 10, 2017, 10:43:04 am
Umm, what do you think we have been doing? Have you paid attention to recruiting? We aren't recruiting to beat Vandy in the classroom. We are recruiting to beat Bama on the field. We are developing those players to work hard and be responsible human beings. A side effect of that is they work hard and take care of business on the classroom as well as on the field.

And how is that beating Bama on the field working out? I wonder how Bama fared in the SEC football GPA?

Answer me this....would you rather keep our current record and current 3.0 GPA OR have a 2.85 GPA and 2 more wins a season?
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

ricepig

Quote from: hogfan58 on February 10, 2017, 08:56:12 pm
And how is that beating Bama on the field working out? I wonder how Bama fared in the SEC football GPA?

Answer me this....would you rather keep our current record and current 3.0 GPA OR have a 2.85 GPA and 2 more wins a season?

So, when you figure out how correlate those two, let me know. Which guys to keep, which guys to pass on, you know the substance of it.

thebignasty

everyone chant it with me:

"Our student athletes are working too hard in the classroom!"

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

hogfan58

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 09:05:22 pm
So, when you figure out how correlate those two, let me know. Which guys to keep, which guys to pass on, you know the substance of it.

How would I know who we passed on, do you? Are you a coach on the team? Were you in the room when they decided to pass on someone because the kid might be not as strong a student as another kid, but a better player?

We'll never know these things but I'm not the person that said that we are trying to recruit to beat Bama on the field by having higher GPA players. I'll ask again....how is that working out for us?
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

rickfahr

no point in keeping score anymore; hell, the team with the better gpa "wins"; course, everybody gets a trophy and an orange slice, so doesn't really matter;

ricepig

Quote from: rickfahr on February 11, 2017, 02:34:25 pm
no point in keeping score anymore; hell, the team with the better gpa "wins"; course, everybody gets a trophy and an orange slice, so doesn't really matter;

Or we talking about these;

Or these?

bennyl08

Only game we haven't been extremely competitive with them was the first year here. We've come closer to beating them than Petrino ever did. The talent on our team is objectively higher. Higher caliber recruits, increase in NFL production, and so on and it continues to trend upwards.

Your question makes no sense. Where does it show that our team has a 3.0 GPA? I saw that we had 39 players with a 3.0 or higher. Meaning that we have at least 46 players with a GPA lower than that (and possibly more if this is including walkons instead of just scholarship players). Further, how many of those students have exactly a 3.0 GPA? The question as currently framed is non-sensical.

However, I'll try to answer some similarly themed questions that do make sense. Would I have any of these students do worse in class in order to win an extra game? No, and emphatically no. Would I be okay with having more wins and fewer students above a 3.0 GPA? Yes. Yes I would. Is GPA related to winning football games? Not directly at least. It is a measure of a human who is responsible and works hard.

As I stated earlier, having good academic success is just as important a recruiting tool as is having a shiny gym or players in the NFL. Maybe you say that the good players are only worried about the NFL. Welp, there isn't a single school that has even 1/2 of their recruits be good enough to get drafted. Not even Bama. So, unless you think we are going to be able to put in 20+ players to the NFL every season, academics are important.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

FANONTHEHILL

February 11, 2017, 05:03:25 pm #109 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 05:53:51 pm by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: Al Boarland on February 10, 2017, 05:53:20 pm
The parents of the real talent will be more concerned with getting to the league which is something CBB can sell. However, there are a long line of programs these players will pass that can say the same on the way to the U of A.
Check out the list below.  Razorbacks on rosters during camp at the end of last summer.  The oldest player is Jason Peters.  His first year in the program was 2001.  He's had a long, Hall of Fame caliber career.  Hocker and Loewen were both cut.  Peters is a Hall of Famer and had had a much longer than average career so he is the one exception and that's is rare.. Exclude those three from the list and the 26 in the article drops to 23. So go back and look at  players that came out since 2007. Darren was the 2005 signee class.  So from 2005 to 2011, if the Razorbacks brought in 25 players a year that's 175 scholarships in that timespan.  The 23 in the NFL is just over 13% of of the 175 that entered the program from 2005-2011.  These are the numbers that are shared with all players and their parents.  The "real talent" is told that one play can end your entire career.  You better be prepared for life.  The NFL says the average NFL career is 6 years.  The NFLPA says it's 3.3. Either way, even if you make it to the league, the optimistic average has you out before you're 30.

A lot of people on these boards probably don't care that academics are a focal point. But a program that does everything it can to win while preparing its players for the rest of their lives is something that parents (no matter how many stars their son has) pay attention to when being recruited.  The number of players in the league will increase under Bielema as will the level of academics.  My point is Bielema has put players in the league AND has an academic track record.  He markets his product,(Razorback Football) very well to player families.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/01/razorbacks-have-26-former-players-nfl-training-cam/
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

thebignasty

Quote from: rickfahr on February 11, 2017, 02:34:25 pm

YEAH!

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

twistitup

navyhog24

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 10, 2017, 04:54:48 pm
Crawl into your hidy hole and watch.....  this will pay the Hog program big dividends in recruiting.....

Yes, because Vandy is tearing it up in recruiting using this exact same sales pitch for years ::)

bennyl08

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/recruiting-column-why-academics-matter

http://www.forbes.com/sites/aliciajessop/2012/12/14/the-surprising-factors-driving-college-football-recruits-decision/#372c5bc76395

QuoteA recent survey conducted by Galain of 179 college football players sought to identify the factors most important to college football recruits in making their college decision.  Of the fifteen choices participants had to select from, the participants ranked a school's academic reputation as the most important factor to their decision.

A recruit's opinion of a team's playing facilities ranked as the fourth most important factor, while campus living facilities and team facilities ranked sixth and eighth, respectively.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/3945275-college-football-recruiting-2013-recruiting-survey-phantom-calling-pitches

Quote3. When coaches try to sell you on their school, what do they generally mention first, academics or how many players they've sent to the NFL?
Answers

Academics: 54

How many players they've sent to the NFL: 20

Both equally: 11

Depends on the school: 5

Depends on the conference: 1

http://universitysports.com/how-important-academics-recruiting-process/

http://www.ncsasports.org/blog/2013/08/30/nfl-importance-academics/
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

thebignasty

February 11, 2017, 09:38:08 pm #115 Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 11:43:54 pm by thebignasty
Serious for a moment- if your response to kids getting good grades is to be mad because you think it means they arent trying hard enough to win football games and make you happy.... Lord have mercy on you.

Gladstonesmoans

I wonder if classes at Vandy are as tough as academic classes at Arkansas?

HoggyCat

#25-26

Seriously though, who actually cared about grades until we sucked, and Jeffi told you to care?
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Iwastherein1969

Most people who know me on Hogville would think I would make some flippant remark about not caring about grades and wanting more wins. Well, you'd be wrong. I think it's great that we have kids who can do well in the classroom. One of these days when everything comes together, the brains along with the athleticism, well that's the year we win the SEC West, the SEC Championship and maybe the National Championship....athletic kids who are also smart, are tough to beat....its just a matter of CBB getting the right mix
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

bennyl08

Quote from: HoggyCat on February 11, 2017, 11:12:23 pm
#25-26

Seriously though, who actually cared about grades until we sucked, and Jeffi told you to care?

I did. And apparently Petrino did as well. To use the terminology that another poster used, the department was just as loudly screaming the student's academic achievements when we won 10 games just like it is now that we won 7 this year. Our grades have continued to improve, our recruiting has continued to improve, and our output to the NFL has continued to improve.

W-L's don't tell the whole story. Now, the Miss schools are a lot better than they were as are the aggies. We've also struggled more in the coaching department, finding the right guys and the right fits.

However, judging solely off of Wins and Losses is like judging your improvement by what others around you do. If you can only squat 180 one year and that puts you in 3rd, and the next year you squat 250 and you are in 8th place, do you stop what you are doing because it isn't working?

Al Boarland

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on February 11, 2017, 05:03:25 pm
Check out the list below.  Razorbacks on rosters during camp at the end of last summer.  The oldest player is Jason Peters.  His first year in the program was 2001.  He's had a long, Hall of Fame caliber career.  Hocker and Loewen were both cut.  Peters is a Hall of Famer and had had a much longer than average career so he is the one exception and that's is rare.. Exclude those three from the list and the 26 in the article drops to 23. So go back and look at  players that came out since 2007. Darren was the 2005 signee class.  So from 2005 to 2011, if the Razorbacks brought in 25 players a year that's 175 scholarships in that timespan.  The 23 in the NFL is just over 13% of of the 175 that entered the program from 2005-2011.  These are the numbers that are shared with all players and their parents.  The "real talent" is told that one play can end your entire career.  You better be prepared for life.  The NFL says the average NFL career is 6 years.  The NFLPA says it's 3.3. Either way, even if you make it to the league, the optimistic average has you out before you're 30.

A lot of people on these boards probably don't care that academics are a focal point. But a program that does everything it can to win while preparing its players for the rest of their lives is something that parents (no matter how many stars their son has) pay attention to when being recruited.  The number of players in the league will increase under Bielema as will the level of academics.  My point is Bielema has put players in the league AND has an academic track record.  He markets his product,(Razorback Football) very well to player families.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/aug/01/razorbacks-have-26-former-players-nfl-training-cam/

I guess we'll see next recruiting cycle. If it's another 25ish class it's not a very strong selling point. It doesn't matter how many make it to the league. The elite guys think the can get there. CBB need more elite guys. Hopefully these new coaches can make that happen.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 12, 2017, 04:31:33 am
I guess we'll see next recruiting cycle. If it's another 25ish class it's not a very strong selling point. It doesn't matter how many make it to the league. The elite guys think the can get there. CBB need more elite guys. Hopefully these new coaches can make that happen.

We could have Gunslinger Archie Cooley, Bagman Taylor, Snoop Dog, Drake, and Bo Jackson recruiting for us, we aren't going to get a top 5 class to Fayetteville. If you're counting on the new guys to improve recruiting, you'll be sorely disappointed.

SemperFi

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2017, 08:52:56 am
Good.  You have to be able to count on your players being eligible.  This is a good sign of discipline and maturity.  Hopefully it translates into good roster retention and player development. 

Well said Atlhog. Minus those that wish to demean this accomplishment this is a huge achievement and is something that Razorback Nation should be proud of.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

lefty08

This is an embarrassing thread. I wish this site wasn't free so outsiders couldn't see just how stupid arkansas fans are when hiding behind anonymity. How someone could care more about wins and losses than what happens when these guys leave the program is beyond me, and to think these guys only represent the University while wearing shoulder pads is ignorant. These guys will always be hogs and will support and be the future developers of everything this program does for its existence
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

FANONTHEHILL

I am able to attend lots of practices and have met numerous recruits and their parents.  I introduce myself and welcome them to Fayetteville.  I am asked consistently asked the same three questions.

Is the family atmosphere they talk about really true?
What year and position group is your son and what is his opinion of his position coach?
What is his major and how much emphasis do they really place on academics?

I think people underestimate the recruits families.  Of course they want their sons to make it to the league, but they realize that it's a long shot no matter how talented they are. There has to be a plan in place for either outcome and that is clearly communicated by the staff very early in the recruiting process.  The fact the staff cares about the players future on and off the field combined with the a history of great academics while putting players in the league is a tremendous selling point.  I don't see how people can't understand this.

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

lrcentral

Are we now giving out trophies for doing what is part these coaches job descriptions? They are not personally walking these guys to class. They are sending an assistant to keep tabs on them. Let's all golf clap and give each other pats on the back because little Johnny made a 4.0 in basket weaving. Arkansas has been mediocre in basketball and football for well of 25 years and fools in the state still hand the university money hand over fist. I don't see how our 0 conference titles in football or 5 tournament appearances in basketball could be worse with a no name coach. We pay millions for so called named coaches to trick fools into buying season tickets to lost causes. 

ricepig

Quote from: lrcentral on February 12, 2017, 09:08:19 am
Are we now giving out trophies for doing what is part these coaches job descriptions? They are not personally walking these guys to class. They are sending an assistant to keep tabs on them. Let's all golf clap and give each other pats on the back because little Johnny made a 4.0 in basket weaving. Arkansas has been mediocre in basketball and football for well of 25 years and fools in the state still hand the university money hand over fist. I don't see how our 0 conference titles in football or 5 tournament appearances in basketball could be worse with a no name coach. We pay millions for so called named coaches to trick fools into buying season tickets to lost causes. 

I guess you've never been to a Razorback basketball or football game? If you're not going or donating, what difference does it make to you?

WilsonHog

In my view, the Razorbacks are not a professional team or a semi-pro team. To the contrary, they are attached to and part of a university. As such, it is incumbent on our coaches - as university employees - to emphasize academics and recognize academic achievements of our student-athletes.

Because I feel that way, I have come to view what both Bret and Mike are doing - emphasize academic performance and accountability for off-field behavior - as a non-negotiable point of emphasis.

ricepig

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 12, 2017, 09:49:43 am
In my view, the Razorbacks are not a professional team or a semi-pro team. To the contrary, they are attached to and part of a university. As such, it is incumbent on our coaches - as university employees - to emphasize academics and recognize academic achievements of our student-athletes.

Because I feel that way, I have come to view what both Bret and Mike are doing - emphasize academic performance and accountability for off-field behavior - as a non-negotiable point of emphasis.

Correct, and if they don't win at an acceptable level, they will be fired. Now, the crux of the matter is what is "acceptable".

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: lrcentral on February 12, 2017, 09:08:19 am

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Tennessee are the 6 schools that have won an SEC championship in football in the past 25 years. So it's a common frustration for every SEC program.

Also, belittling student athletes makes you nothing more than an ass.   

Al Boarland

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2017, 08:13:22 am
We could have Gunslinger Archie Cooley, Bagman Taylor, Snoop Dog, Drake, and Bo Jackson recruiting for us, we aren't going to get a top 5 class to Fayetteville. If you're counting on the new guys to improve recruiting, you'll be sorely disappointed.
I don't. That's why I keep my expectations in the 7-9 win range.

WilsonHog

The reality of being a fan is, for too many, a very simplistic and stripped down experience that is too often reduced to one simple measure: did we win?

I suspect that the young men who are privileged to be Razorbacks have a much deeper and richer experience based on far more than the outcome of the game.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 12, 2017, 10:09:27 am
I don't. That's why I keep my expectations in the 7-9 win range.

Correct, elated when we exceed it, disappointed when we don't reach it.

twistitup

Quote from: ricepig on February 12, 2017, 09:53:54 am
Correct, and if they don't win at an acceptable level, they will be fired. Now, the crux of the matter is what is "acceptable".