Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs are no.1 in sec for...

Started by razorbacker3, February 09, 2017, 08:20:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbacker3

its 2016 Academic Honor Roll for fall sports. To qualify, football players had to maintain a 3.00 grade average for the 2016 Spring, Summer and Fall semesters.
Arkansas had 39 players, at least 4 more than any other school!

King Kong

Atlhogfan1

Good.  You have to be able to count on your players being eligible.  This is a good sign of discipline and maturity.  Hopefully it translates into good roster retention and player development. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

go hogues

This is Long's main goal and he's achieving it. Gotta give him props for that.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: King Kong on February 09, 2017, 08:22:16 am
Vandy is so pissed right now

Nah they probably think they can beat us in just about any sport.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: go hogues on February 09, 2017, 08:55:00 am
This is Long's main goal and he's achieving it. Gotta give him props for that.

I thought his main goal was $.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2017, 08:59:36 am
I thought his main goal was $.

According to an article Ricepig posted for me awhile back the NCAA is going to make grade point avg about $'s

We ahead of the curve guys!

Oh and can we change the name of the game to,

$ball

Or

gpaball

Bubba's Bruisers

Very nice accomplishment for the program.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

SemperHawg

navyhog24

King Kong

JIHawg

Hopefully will help with recruiting (moms and pops).

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: navyhog24 on February 09, 2017, 09:38:37 am
Yay for moral victories!

Ha Navy, what happens if you ace all you training and get killed on the field?  Do you get ice cream and pickles when you get back to base(ship)?

onebadrubi

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 09, 2017, 09:43:02 am
Ha Navy, what happens if you ace all you training and get killed on the field?  Do you get ice cream and pickles when you get back to base(ship)?

You get a good paying career

Cinco de Hogo

hogcard1964

Anyone know Anderson's graduation rate while he's been head coach of the B-Ball team? 

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 09, 2017, 09:59:14 am
Anyone know Anderson's graduation rate while he's been head coach of the B-Ball team?

Wait, college basketball players graduate?  Kentucky doesn't believe that. 

I don't think we've had anyone fail out have we, some have transferred which doesn't "ding" us. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 09, 2017, 09:50:20 am
And war stories about your glory days.

Maybe a radio show too.  Then you get to listen to FCJ completely stupid calls.

hogcard1964

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 09, 2017, 10:03:20 am
Wait, college basketball players graduate?  Kentucky doesn't believe that. 

Nor did Nolan.

Hoggish1

Quote from: King Kong on February 09, 2017, 08:22:16 am
Vandy is so pissed right now

Yep that's why they shot so well and kicked our assis in the Bud on Tuesday...

Razorbackers

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 09, 2017, 08:52:56 am
Good.  You have to be able to count on your players being eligible.  This is a good sign of discipline and maturity.  Hopefully it translates into good roster retention and player development.

This.

DLUXHOG

Yes..... this is a good thing..... a really good thing.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hogcard1964

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 09, 2017, 11:47:37 am
Yes..... this is a good thing..... a really good thing.....

+1000

It is better to turn out good, decent human beings than making your mark as a good sports program.

cityhog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 09, 2017, 02:04:10 pm
+1000

It is better to turn out good, decent human beings than making your mark as a good sports program.

Is it a foregone conclusion then that these two things are mutually exclusive?

hawganatic

Yay for moral victories!

I don't think moral victory means what you think it does...

hawganatic

Quote from: cityhog on February 09, 2017, 02:07:07 pm

Nobody said they were mutually exclusive, but that doesn't mean we can't celebrate one without the other. 

yraciv

Well I guess the naysayers can admit Bielema and Long are doing something right!

PorkSoda

Yay for moral victories!
Yay for anti intellectualism

way to make fun of kids for working hard and getting good grades.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

bennyl08

Yay for moral victories!

Ask yourself one question, would you trade a kid passing their classes on their way to getting a college degree and using losing like we did to Mizzou and VT for a kid failing their class and us winning both of those games?

A moral victory is when you lose at the most important thing/s but there is a smaller, secondary objective that you succeeded. I.e., you lost to Bama but kept Henry from gaining 100 yards. Or, you lost, but only by one point.

In no way, shape, or form is academics a secondary objective to football. If you would rather have the glory of watching other people win a game than have them actually succeed in something that will impact the rest of their lives, then I'd suggest some soul searching. Though, for those who value football above all else, I hear Baylor could use some more fans.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

The Kig

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 09, 2017, 09:45:44 am
You get a good paying career

No... you get a box and your wife gets a flag in his scenario.
Poker Porker

hogcard1964

Quote from: cityhog on February 09, 2017, 02:07:07 pm

Kind of seems that way, doesn't it?

jkstock04

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 09, 2017, 02:48:45 pm
Ask yourself one question, would you trade a kid passing their classes on their way to getting a college degree and using losing like we did to Mizzou and VT for a kid failing their class and us winning both of those games?

A moral victory is when you lose at the most important thing/s but there is a smaller, secondary objective that you succeeded. I.e., you lost to Bama but kept Henry from gaining 100 yards. Or, you lost, but only by one point.

In no way, shape, or form is academics a secondary objective to football. If you would rather have the glory of watching other people win a game than have them actually succeed in something that will impact the rest of their lives, then I'd suggest some soul searching. Though, for those who value football above all else, I hear Baylor could use some more fans.
So you equate the multitude of Baylor sexual assault accusations to forsaking grades.

Honestly I'm not surprised to see this argument from yourself.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Cinco de Hogo

There is a whole world of opportunity in between winning the SEC academic title and being in the bottom third in sports.  Guess what, the only reason an athletic scholarship is available is because they play sports.  Why even do that?   

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

code red

Good deal.  Now let's start practicing an little harder and studying a little less.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

SemperHawg

SA's receive a ton of extra benefits that normal paying students who make the same grades don't receive. 

And your Baylor comment is laughable.

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 09, 2017, 03:44:43 pm
So you equate the multitude of Baylor sexual assault accusations to forsaking grades.

Honestly I'm not surprised to see this argument from yourself.

You ask a question, convince yourself you know the answer, and then make a snarky comment that only works if you believe your own made up answer.

No, basic reading comprehension in no way suggests that I'm equating the two. I'm suggesting a slippery slope of what happens when you put football on too  high a pedestal.

Honestly, I'm not surprised to see this argument from you though.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

bennyl08

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on February 09, 2017, 03:45:04 pm

There is a whole world of opportunity in between winning the SEC academic title and being in the bottom third in sports.  Guess what, the only reason an athletic scholarship is available is because they play sports.  Why even do that?

The reason they have a scholarship to attend a university is because they are good at sports. No doubt. However, they are there to be students first. Playing football is how they pay for college, and they get more handsomely rewarded than even the top academic scholarship people. Vast majority of these athletes will never professionally play the game. Sure, some may only be there to keep playing the sport a little bit longer and don't care about school whatsoever. Maybe FOTH can chime in, but I'd wager most care a lot of being a student and getting a degree.

Go back to the post I was replying to and re-read my post as well. In no way am I saying the two are mutually exclusive and I look forward to the team continuing to earn more wins in the future. However, in no way, shape, or form is having good grades a "moral victory" as was claimed. Getting good grades is much more important for these humans than winning games.

As far as football is concerned, all you need to do is just enough to remain eligible and anything else beyond that is time you could be spending working out or watching film. So, if they were only football players and nothing more, yes, good grades is a secondary accomplishment to winning and thus would certainly just be a moral victory. However, as human beings who so happen to also be good at football, most won't play football after they are done here. They will be getting jobs, going into graduate programs, and so on. Actually getting a degree will impact their life more than winning a game. For some, the degree may be all that the employer looks at. For others, grades could be the difference between them getting a job or somebody else.

Razorbackers

Quote from: PorkSoda on February 09, 2017, 02:27:43 pm
Yay for anti intellectualism

way to make fun of kids for working hard and getting good grades.

It is INSANE that people would are being so snarky about this.

INSANE.

jkstock04

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 09, 2017, 04:47:27 pm
You ask a question, convince yourself you know the answer, and then make a snarky comment that only works if you believe your own made up answer.

No, basic reading comprehension in no way suggests that I'm equating the two. I'm suggesting a slippery slope of what happens when you put football on too  high a pedestal.

Honestly, I'm not surprised to see this argument from you though.
I didn't ask a question. I stated what you did...which was bring Baylor into the conversation insinuating if one would forsake grades one may as well look the other way at at sexual assault. "Baylor could use some more fans."

Why else would you bring the Baylor situation into the conversation? I don't recall anything about them lately looking the other way at grades. Serious sexual assault accusations is what is going on there and is why you brought them up. You didn't say anything about slippery slope til now, which is a nice dodge.

Some on this board did this same type of thing when Petrino was fired...they equated his situation to the Penn St child molestation stuff which was going on at the same time. Way she goes on the internet I guess.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bennyl08

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 09, 2017, 05:42:36 pm
I didn't ask a question. I stated what you did...which was bring Baylor into the conversation insinuating if one would forsake grades one may as well look the other way at at sexual assault. "Baylor could use some more fans."

Why else would you bring the Baylor situation into the conversation? I don't recall anything about them lately looking the other way at grades. Serious sexual assault accusations is what is going on there and is why you brought them up. You didn't say anything about slippery slope til now, which is a nice dodge.

Some on this board did this same type of thing when Petrino was fired...they equated his situation to the Penn St child molestation stuff which was going on at the same time. Way she goes on the internet I guess.

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt of not just straight up thinking you already knew the answer. Slippery slope isn't a dodge, it is what it always was. I didn't explicitly say it was slippery slope because I forgot that reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of people on the internet.

There was nothing explicit about me equating the two either. So, I do concede that I left it to the reader to draw the correct conclusion and. I admit the reader could make the assumption that I was equating the two just like they could make the assumption that I was talking about a slippery slope as I did not make the connection between the two statements explicit one way or another. I just assumed that because it would make no sense for me to be equating the two, that it would similarly make no sense for the reader to assume I was equating the two.

WELL, THIS SURE AS HELL PROVES ONE OF MY COMPLAINTS WHICH IS THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT BEING TAUGHT FOOTBALL, MENTAL TOUGHNESS, CONDITIONING, ETC.  THEY ARE DAMN SURE SMART ENOUGH TO LEARN IT IF ANY WAS BEING TAUGHT. 

ricepig

Quote from: 12247 on February 09, 2017, 08:22:28 pm
WELL, THIS SURE AS HELL PROVES ONE OF MY COMPLAINTS WHICH IS THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT BEING TAUGHT FOOTBALL, MENTAL TOUGHNESS, CONDITIONING, ETC.  THEY ARE DAMN SURE SMART ENOUGH TO LEARN IT IF ANY WAS BEING TAUGHT. 

Ask FOTH if they aren't, lol.

bennyl08

Quote from: ricepig on February 09, 2017, 08:24:52 pm
Ask FOTH if they aren't, lol.

Maybe somebody else should. That caps lock was so loud think I have tinnitus.

FANONTHEHILL

I will state this as simply as I can.  If you don't care about the academic aspect of the players lives, then you don't care about the players.  Their grades are their future.  If you don't care about the player's future, then you you don't care about their well being. That means you didn't give a damn when Rawleigh was lying on the ground paralyzed.  You didn't care when Frank lost his dad. These young men mean nothing to you.  This type of talk pisses me off more than anything I've seen on these boards.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Torqued pork

Congrats to all who played a part in this.

The_Bionic_Pig

The fanbase is more concerned about whether this team deserves its personal loyalty rather than the achievement of any individual athelete.....so what if the kid is a future engineer or doctor what really counts in life is he missed a blocking assignment.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Al Boarland

That's great news. I would like to see a breakdown of what degrees our SA's are going to for.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 12247 on February 09, 2017, 08:22:28 pm

Is this serious?

goodguytex

People are by nature selfish, and want self gratification. Football fans, many of them anyway that's multiplied times a thousand.

What most self centered football fans think of as a top priority is winning championships so they can wear their team gear, have bragging rights with their friends. That's most important to them. Most of the rest of us good intentioned fans want the best overall for the team, including their physical well being, and being the best they can be on the football field and in the classroom.

But there's a reason we are called fans... It's short for fanatic. And so many of us are exactly that.

As for our football program... Bielema is doing what he set out to do, player development. And hoping over time it does reap major dividends on that football field.

We are coming up on his 5th season as HC, and the time to translate that development to the football field in wins and losses should start coming. If it doesn't, then the fans won't be filling the stadium and won't be supporting the program. Again, that's just how it goes for fanatics.