Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Unpopular Question

Started by SemperHawg, February 08, 2017, 09:12:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 10, 2017, 03:00:48 pm
I was saying that Bielema making the rose bowls, while current recruits or recent recruits saw him making rose bowl after rose bowl he is responsible for.

Why is mike responsible for his teams complete failure in year 5 and 6, but Bielema is NOT responsible for Wiskys success in his year 5 and 6.  This is not complex thought here.  I personally believe mike is responsible for this failure and Bielema, as I said, was seen as responsible by talking heads and other people for Wiskys run of rose bowls.

I clarified for you, in a very direct sentence actually. I'm not all over the place, in providing a reasoning why your original comment was innaccurate and you can't successfully make your argument. Since then you've deflected by pulling out what was the first sentence and dissecting it to move goal post (to pull a term often used in politics discussions)

I haven't moved any goalposts, and I'm not deflecting.

I'll make this simple. 

True or false?  UW's winning percentage has gone up since CBB left.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Ironhawg

Arkansas is always going to have a hard time competing in the SEC in football.  We're a small, rural state with a small recruiting area.  The number of quality D1 football players required to be competitive in the SEC West is a hurdle for us compared to LSU, Bama, A&M which are all located in the middle of prime recruiting country.  We might rise up once a decade, but I just don't see us being much more than we are. 
We can, however, be competitive in basketball.  We just need the right coach.  I no longer think the one we have now is the right guy.

gchamblee

I have found no reason to date to be displeased with the job Jeff Long has done.

I admire the fact that he had the courage to take responsibility for the coach that he hired, a winning coach, and fire him once that coaches behavior became detrimental to the overall health and public opinion of our university.

I admire the fact that he was able to hire a successful football coach away from a quality program in a major conference. A coach that had multiple trips to a prestigious bowl and was winning conference championships. A coach that was committed to building a program the right way, with the right personnel and the right work ethic. A coach that was good at building a brand and someone that the media liked.

I admire his ability to recognize the fans desire to bring one of our basketball coaches home and give him a shot at building the hogs BB team back to where we wanted it. I admire him for making that happen and sticking with it long enough to give the coach a legitimate chance.

I admire the way he represented Arkansas in his very public position as the first head of the playoff committee.

I admire his dedication to keeping our facilities top notch so that our coaches do not have to struggle with that while recruiting.

I feel fortunate that we have a man with integrity, business smarts and is respected within the industry in charge of our athletic department. I understand that some feel as though his best accomplishments were easy and anyone could have done it, but I disagree with that theory. I feel confident that when the time comes to make a change within our coaching, he will recognize it, have the courage to do it and will successfully replace them.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: gchamblee on February 10, 2017, 03:21:29 pm
I have found no reason to date to be displeased with the job Jeff Long has done.

I admire the fact that he had the courage to take responsibility for the coach that he hired, a winning coach, and fire him once that coaches behavior became detrimental to the overall health and public opinion of our university.

I admire the fact that he was able to hire a successful football coach away from a quality program in a major conference. A coach that had multiple trips to a prestigious bowl and was winning conference championships. A coach that was committed to building a program the right way, with the right personnel and the right work ethic. A coach that was good at building a brand and someone that the media liked.

I admire his ability to recognize the fans desire to bring one of our basketball coaches home and give him a shot at building the hogs BB team back to where we wanted it. I admire him for making that happen and sticking with it long enough to give the coach a legitimate chance.

I admire the way he represented Arkansas in his very public position as the first head of the playoff committee.

I admire his dedication to keeping our facilities top notch so that our coaches do not have to struggle with that while recruiting.

I feel fortunate that we have a man with integrity, business smarts and is respected within the industry in charge of our athletic department. I understand that some feel as though his best accomplishments were easy and anyone could have done it, but I disagree with that theory. I feel confident that when the time comes to make a change within our coaching, he will recognize it, have the courage to do it and will successfully replace them.

I admire you for having so much admiration for him.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 08, 2017, 10:14:08 am
1. The SEC is much more competitive now than when BP was HC
2. Every fan thinks their school think they are doing it the right way. It's more a function of boosters than it is the program.
3. Optics are just optics. All those feel good metrics only sound good when included with winning.

Really?   What do you base that on? I haven't really thought about it much but I would think the opposite is true.  This year, the SEC seemed to be the weakest its been in 20 years to me.   Nowhere near as strong as it was when Petrino was here.  No?

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on February 10, 2017, 03:04:52 pm
I haven't moved any goalposts, and I'm not deflecting.

I'll make this simple. 

True or false?  UW's winning percentage has gone up since CBB left.

Maybe you aren't reading everything I've typed. Already went over this.

So you are fine then of a sports team playing nobodies, losing to the rank teams, and Calling it a success, similar to our basketball team.

I mean look at the yahoo's defending Mike because he has the best winning percentage this year and that's why we should keep him.  You are doing the same man

Wildhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 10, 2017, 03:40:10 pm
Maybe you aren't reading everything I've typed. Already went over this.

So you are fine then of a sports team playing nobodies, losing to the rank teams, and Calling it a success, similar to our basketball team.

I mean look at the yahoo's defending Mike because he has the best winning percentage this year and that's why we should keep him.  You are doing the same man

If there was a huge discrepancy in SOS between the Bielema era and the post-Bielema era, you'd have a point.  But there isn't.
1909/1964/1965/1977

onebadrubi

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 10, 2017, 03:59:47 pm
Seems you're describing what happens on here with our football team. 

...and basketball team.

Our football team plays nobodies?  You might should look up our recent SOS'a

onebadrubi

Quote from: Wildhog on February 10, 2017, 03:45:58 pm
If there was a huge discrepancy in SOS between the Bielema era and the post-Bielema era, you'd have a point.  But there isn't.

Somewhat similar, yes but if you go back and look over the schedules there are a few more quality wins in Bielemas tenure which is why I saying all of this. Off of memory, didn't he beat the Ohio St we lost too in the sugar bowl?  By the way, Paul chryst could very easily end up being better than Bielema, not saying he isn't. Just think your method at arriving to that conclusion at this point based on winning percentage alone is flawed, which is what I've been saying all along and was the original debate.

Chryst however has blown a first half lead vs pen at this year. So maybe they are eerily similar

HamSammich

Let's get back on topic. I admire how Jeff Long has hoodwink you sheep while he has underperformed at a historic level at Arkansas. I admire how some people can be shoveled hog crap and then ask for more over and over. I admire the way I refuse to make paragraphs at this time. I admire Jeff long for hitting his head against a mike Anderson wall and then does it each year expecting different results. I admire that Jeff Long is the JJ Watt of ADs... complete attention whore. I admire how Jeffs mother had him when she was a virgin. I admire the folks that carve Jeff Long action figurines out of pine wood and pit him against their old hulk hogan figurines with Jeff long coming out the victor. All hail the admiration from narrow mindless sheepdog. Narrow minds and admiration rule this thread! Huzzah!

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Wildhog on February 10, 2017, 01:07:17 pm
I didn't say CBB didn't do a good job at Wisconsin.  I'm saying he didn't build it, and others have done just as well, if not better, in similar situations.

Sorry, but I'm really not seeing your point.

You need glasses then.....  or maybe you simply have agenda blinders on.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Wildhog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 10, 2017, 04:32:49 pm
You need glasses then.....  or maybe you simply have agenda blinders on.....

I have glasses.  No agenda, though, other than wanting us to win more games.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Quote from: HamSammich on February 10, 2017, 04:16:06 pm
Let's get back on topic. I admire how Jeff Long has hoodwink you sheep while he has underperformed at a historic level at Arkansas. I admire how some people can be shoveled hog crap and then ask for more over and over. I admire the way I refuse to make paragraphs at this time. I admire Jeff long for hitting his head against a mike Anderson wall and then does it each year expecting different results. I admire that Jeff Long is the JJ Watt of ADs... complete attention whore. I admire how Jeffs mother had him when she was a virgin. I admire the folks that carve Jeff Long action figurines out of pine wood and pit him against their old hulk hogan figurines with Jeff long coming out the victor. All hail the admiration from narrow mindless sheepdog. Narrow minds and admiration rule this thread! Huzzah!

Now this is good stuff right here.

HamSammich

Quote from: Wildhog on February 10, 2017, 04:40:13 pm
I have glasses.  No agenda, though, other than wanting us to win more games.

No man, people like you and I that are successful in life because we demand excellence are just meddling portrayers of all that is wrong with Arkansas here. It amuses me. In two years these people with turn on CBoB like they did on Smith.... and that too, will amuse me.

DLUXHOG

You need a fifth of Macallan 12 & a good witch doctor (aka a shrink).....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

ricepig

Quote from: HamSammich on February 10, 2017, 04:46:55 pm

No man, people like you and I that are successful in life because we demand excellence are just meddling portrayers of all that is wrong with Arkansas here. It amuses me. In two years these people with turn on CBoB like they did on Smith.... and that too, will amuse me.

And in 4 years, you'll be telling us again why Coach XYZ isn't getting it done and how you know better because you're so successful, whatever that is suppose to imply.

Jackrabbit Hog

All hail the admiration from narrow mindless sheepdog.

I think you meant sheep, but since you appear to be on a roll...
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

factchecker

Quote from: Hogwild on February 10, 2017, 02:57:58 pm
Not only do we have a losing conference record (29-43), we have the worse conference record during his tenure in the division, a 25% decrease from the Nutt era.

Ole Miss has the same record as us vs. the SEC in that time span (29-43) despite them paying players.  Mississippi State is 31-41.  They've had a good run (for Miss State) under Mullen.

AnM during that span is 21-24 vs. the SEC but 21-19 since joining the SEC in 2012.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 05:00:07 pm
I think you meant sheep, but since you appear to be on a roll...

I always admired a good sheepdog.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on February 10, 2017, 03:34:17 pm
I admire you for having so much admiration for him.

I admire people that admire other peoples admiration.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on February 10, 2017, 04:49:18 pm
You need a fifth of Macallan 12 & a good witch doctor (aka a shrink).....

Macallan 12 is to good for him..............do they make a 6 month?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogwild

Quote from: factchecker on February 10, 2017, 05:02:25 pm
Ole Miss has the same record as us vs. the SEC in that time span (29-43) despite them paying players.  Mississippi State is 31-41.  They've had a good run (for Miss State) under Mullen.

AnM during that span is 21-24 vs. the SEC but 21-19 since joining the SEC in 2012.

So you are confirming that no team in the SEC West has a worse record conference record during the Jeff Long era than the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I haven't advocated the firing of CBB or Anderson, 2017 is a pivotal year for both.   I have however seen enough of Long. 

He has done a great job of separating rich people from their money. And that is a good thing for the program. However that counteract the sheer number of disappointing seasons.

The coaches he has hired have not gotten the job done on the field or court.  I'm not a believer in that adage that he hired who the fans thought was good hire at the time.  When you are getting paid over $1 million in salary, which over 10 years can add up to some real money, it isn't to hire who the average fan thinks is a good hire at the time.  It is to actually look over everything and make the best hire.

Their is no justifying giving a coach with a 2-10 conference record, an extension with that type of buyout. 

APR for the football program has been horrible, the last time we finished in the top 10 in conference is back when the SEC only had 12. 
I applaud job that CBB is doing to improve in this area.  But it is a 5 year rolling average and Long is in his 10th year, it happened under his watch.

When the worse OOC schedules has the Razorbacks on the list, posters bring up the facts that we play 10 straight weeks without a bye and play 2 home games away from campus. Remember Jeff Long is the one that put a schedule together that has playing on three games in Fayetteville before November.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on February 10, 2017, 06:10:40 pm
So you are confirming that no team in the SEC West has a worse record conference record during the Jeff Long era than the Arkansas Razorbacks.

I haven't advocated the firing of CBB or Anderson, 2017 is a pivotal year for both.   I have however seen enough of Long. 

He has done a great job of separating rich people from their money. And that is a good thing for the program. However that counteract the sheer number of disappointing seasons.

The coaches he has hired have not gotten the job done on the field or court.  I'm not a believer in that adage that he hired who the fans thought was good hire at the time.  When you are getting paid over $1 million in salary, which over 10 years can add up to some real money, it isn't to hire who the average fan thinks is a good hire at the time.  It is to actually look over everything and make the best hire.

Their is no justifying giving a coach with a 2-10 conference record, an extension with that type of buyout. 

APR for the football program has been horrible, the last time we finished in the top 10 in conference is back when the SEC only had 12. 
I applaud job that CBB is doing to improve in this area.  But it is a 5 year rolling average and Long is in his 10th year, it happened under his watch.

When the worse OOC schedules has the Razorbacks on the list, posters bring up the facts that we play 10 straight weeks without a bye and play 2 home games away from campus. Remember Jeff Long is the one that put a schedule together that has playing on three games in Fayetteville before November.

The SEC mandates the conference schedule. We do have some say on when the OOC games are scheduled.

factchecker

Quote from: Hogwild on February 10, 2017, 06:10:40 pm

SEC dictates the conference schedule which in turn impacts where we have our bye.

I do agree that we should be playing at least one more game in Fayetteville before November but we are tied to a contract that keeps us in WMS till after 2018.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

Thanks, I like this post.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2017, 05:02:38 pm
I always admired a good sheepdog.

Now that's a quality looking animal right there.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Regarding the schedule: TCU looked like an upper elite OOC team just 2 years ago. Hard to argue with having one game like that and three rent-a-wins.

We need to be sure and ignore the Michigan thingy with scheduling, and the fact that Texas keeps kicking that game down the road.

ricepig

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 11, 2017, 04:25:29 pm
Regarding the schedule: TCU looked like an upper elite OOC team just 2 years ago. Hard to argue with having one game like that and three rent-a-wins.

We need to be sure and ignore the Michigan thingy with scheduling, and the fact that Texas keeps kicking that game down the road.

Well, to be honest, we both kicked the game down the road at one time or another.

Bubba's Bruisers

I'm with you except for the MA part.  It always felt like nothing more than giving in to a pretty dumb fan base.  Hated the hire then, hate it now.  There was nothing about MA that suggested to me he could move the program forward.  Just a bad hire.

The rest, yeah, really have no problems with Long.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 11, 2017, 04:25:29 pm

I don't get the scheduling crap.  Don't even care if our schedule is with 4 obvious OOC cupcakes.  our conference schedule pretty much guarantees our overall schedule is top 10 regardless of OOC. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

HoggyCat

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 08, 2017, 09:39:30 am
Bret Bielema and Mike Anderson were good hires when they were brought in. If they fail, it won't be because the administration didn't support them.

It's incredibly silly to blame the AD when a team collapses in the second half, or the second half of the season.

Especially when, by your logic, this AD was also responsible for the highest ranked Razorback football team in the modern era.

Also, there are programs similar to size and whatever you said as Arkansas, and programs bigger than us, that have seen WAY worse results. So...idk man.

Maybe yelling at the AD isn't the answer?

Jeff Long was forced to hire Petrino (thank God for Carl Johnston). Had he gotten his way, we'd have Grobe.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Athog

Quote from: Razorbackers on February 08, 2017, 09:59:12 am
We have a losing record since joining the SEC.

We've had some dang good coaches on our sidelines.

I'm not saying that Arkansas can't be great, we know that can.

I'm saying that you can't go around firing coaches every 3 or 4 years and expect it to work out for you. Stability is crucial when every team around you is a top 25 program.

Have all coaches we had been failures?

ricepig

Quote from: Athog on February 12, 2017, 08:18:00 pm
Have all coaches we had been failures?
One way or another.......