Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official statement on Segrest

Started by ricepig, February 04, 2017, 03:10:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gdumont

Arkansas defensive line coach Rory Segrest won't return to the team, Bret Bielema announces. Included is an official statement from CBB

http://www.nwahomepage.com/razorback-nation/segrest-wont-return-to-razorbacks/649811537

JackJohnson

#Pack.  I know we think/hope/pray it is the walk off bottom of the 9th grand slam hire of Jerry Montgomery.  However I wonder if it is this guy

http://gopack.com/coaches.aspx?rc=486

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 04, 2017, 03:14:53 pm
#Pack.  I know we think/hope/pray it is the walk off bottom of the 9th grand slam hire of Jerry Montgomery.  However I wonder if it is this guy

Great guess actually. I could see CBB interviewing Montgomery and him saying "no thanks but this guy...."

LRHawg

Nielsen is an interesting guess, but hope it's Montgomery.

PorkRinds

Well everyone wanted to see CBB fire someone.  Now you got your wish.

BBHog

Quote from: JackJohnson on February 04, 2017, 03:14:53 pm

Think Bielema would steal a coach from someone on his old staff?

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2017, 03:44:32 pm
Well everyone wanted to see CBB fire someone.  Now you got your wish.

No, most everyone wanted Bielema to fire Smith and Segrest. He did. Thank goodness.

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 04, 2017, 04:12:09 pm
No, most everyone wanted Bielema to fire Smith and Segrest. He did. Thank goodness.

Technically Segrest was fired and Smith found another job. 

greenEGnHAWGS

Is this the first assistant he outright let go instead of "losing them to another job" while at Arkansas?
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

kibster

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 04, 2017, 04:24:38 pm
Is this the first assistant he outright let go instead of "losing them to another job" while at Arkansas?

I was trying to remember that as well. I think it might be.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

fieldturf

We gonna keep that linebacker coach?  Figured they would let him go by now!!!

MuskogeeHogFan

You mean making an outright statement to that release? I think so in terms of a direct statement. But Segrest is no different than the others despite how it is phrased. All it may mean is that Segrest hasn't been able to find another job yet. If he had, he would probably have been termed as being, "hired away". Just guessing though.
Go Hogs Go!

aar0n

From 1/19 -

I'm hearing that Segrest is for sure out, will be announced soon but not within the next day or two. Partridge is 100% in the mix and will most likely appear somewhere on our staff, and supposedly we'll have 2 LB coaches.

It's speculated that Segrest is having a hard time finding a new team to latch on to, which is why it's taking a little longer. He WILL be let go if he's not employed somewhere else by NSD, which is why he's not out recruiting. Apparently it's bad enough that they're not even letting him go out on visits pretending like he's not being fired like most coaches do. This makes me think that those locker room and behind the scenes problems amongst the defensive staff are mostly involving Segrest (and Smith to a lesser degree).

menace_hawg3

Quote from: aar0n on February 04, 2017, 06:01:39 pm
From 1/19 -

I'm hearing that Segrest is for sure out, will be announced soon but not within the next day or two. Partridge is 100% in the mix and will most likely appear somewhere on our staff, and supposedly we'll have 2 LB coaches.

It's speculated that Segrest is having a hard time finding a new team to latch on to, which is why it's taking a little longer. He WILL be let go if he's not employed somewhere else by NSD, which is why he's not out recruiting. Apparently it's bad enough that they're not even letting him go out on visits pretending like he's not being fired like most coaches do. This makes me think that those locker room and behind the scenes problems amongst the defensive staff are mostly involving Segrest (and Smith to a lesser degree).

I heard that Segrest didn't care much for Smith.

wachhog

Coach K's two medical leaves from Duke and the w-l when he's been gone are proof positive that it's ultimately at the coach who determines the fate of a team. Segrest's reokacement won't make much difference.

kibster

Quote from: wachhog on February 04, 2017, 07:09:18 pm
Coach K's two medical leaves from Duke and the w-l when he's been gone are proof positive that it's ultimately at the coach who determines the fate of a team. Segrest's reokacement won't make much difference.

Um....ok?
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

hogcam

Different sports. can't compare at all

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: aar0n on February 04, 2017, 06:01:39 pm
From 1/19 -

Makes sense. Thanks.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

HawgTide

I love lamp

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 04, 2017, 04:23:07 pm
Technically Segrest was fired and Smith found another job. 
I assume Segrest was given time to find a job. I'm guessing no offers.

jcbville

Nipsey Mussle

LOL

LJHOG

We can change coaches until the world is level and it won't amount to a hill of beans.  We don't have SEC level talent.  Coaching won't change that.

Beardog

Quote from: LJHOG on February 05, 2017, 08:01:48 am
We can change coaches until the world is level and it won't amount to a hill of beans.  We don't have SEC level talent.  Coaching won't change that.

Brian Early coaches for the A State Red Wolves. Just an idea. #Pack

Tortfeasor

Watching the NSD special, it appeared that Segrest had no interest in being there.

ricepig

Quote from: Tortfeasor on February 05, 2017, 10:08:44 am
Watching the NSD special, it appeared that Segrest had no interest in being there.

He was just in, cleaning out his desk when Clint bothered him for the interview.

Tortfeasor

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2017, 10:10:11 am
He was just in, cleaning out his desk when Clint bothered him for the interview.

I was talking about when he was sitting at the table with Chuck and Quinn discussing recruits.

ricepig

Quote from: Tortfeasor on February 05, 2017, 10:14:46 am
I was talking about when he was sitting at the table with Chuck and Quinn discussing recruits.

Well, I was just being facetious, I'm not real sure why the PR people let him. It was well known in the building he wasn't coming back.

Tortfeasor

I agree and wondered that myself. That had to be an awkward situation.

ricepig

TX HOG

Montgomery is a decent recruiter??

PorkRinds

Montgomery would be a freaking home run. So I doubt it happens. Lol

parallaxpig

Based of BB comments I would say Montgomery has already been interviewed.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Quote from: TX HOG on February 05, 2017, 10:35:58 am
Montgomery is a decent recruiter??
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/jerry-montgomery/5545a09c-2e80-4cf6-b384-981bd8c76974

Montgomery spent two seasons (2013-14) as the defensive line coach at Oklahoma, where he also played a big role in recruiting, earning Scout.com's Big 12 Recruiter of the Year after the 2014 season.
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

TX HOG

Quote from: Dr. Sheldon Cooper on February 05, 2017, 10:52:12 am
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/jerry-montgomery/5545a09c-2e80-4cf6-b384-981bd8c76974

Montgomery spent two seasons (2013-14) as the defensive line coach at Oklahoma, where he also played a big role in recruiting, earning Scout.com's Big 12 Recruiter of the Year after the 2014 season.

Well, there it is. Sounds like a great coach/recruiter combo.

jgphillips3

Since Partridge has that "if he is hired quickly" he loses money clause, it would be a brilliant move to have him lined up to be the 10th coach when approved and hire Montgomery now.  Any idea on the other position coach?

jjdlc

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 05, 2017, 11:11:50 am
Since Partridge has that "if he is hired quickly" he loses money clause, it would be a brilliant move to have him lined up to be the 10th coach when approved and hire Montgomery now.  Any idea on the other position coach?

Wonder if Partridge could be brought in as an analyst, like Bama does, without costing him money?

JackJohnson

East TN HAWG

Quote from: jjdlc on February 05, 2017, 11:16:49 am
Wonder if Partridge could be brought in as an analyst, like Bama does, without costing him money?

I did not know Montgomery was that type of recruiter at OU.  If we got him and Partridge as an analyst until the 10 coach is approved, we hit the jackpot.  And we still would have one DB position to go.

King Kong

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 05, 2017, 11:33:54 am
I did not know Montgomery was that type of recruiter at OU.  If we got him and Partridge as an analyst until the 10 coach is approved, we hit the jackpot.  And we still would have one DB position to go.

Montgomery was even better at Michigan recruiting

King Kong

Quote from: jjdlc on February 05, 2017, 11:16:49 am

I believe Partridge will be taking the DL job at Pitt

tannerstahl

i love the hogs....so very very much