hogcard1964

Astonishingly he has Hurts in 2nd.  I would have went:

Fitzgerald
Allen
Bentley
Hurts
Eason

PORKULATOR

Having the most passing yards and touchdown passes means nothing.  4th place Allen... no soup for you.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 03, 2017, 12:58:49 pm
Having the most passing yards and touchdown passes means nothing.  4th place Allen... no soup for you.
guess he is just going to have to go win us an SEC championship to get some respect.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

King Kong

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: King Kong on February 03, 2017, 01:11:36 pm
Bentley 3rd is crazy talk.

Agreed.  I would have put in either Lock or Patterson over him.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Jackrabbit Hog

Bentley had a good game against Tennessee, got the "great freshman" tag from that one game, and then proceeded to stink the rest of the season.  No way he's that high up.  Eason should be ahead of him for sure. (and of course AA)
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

King Kong

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on February 03, 2017, 01:14:01 pm
Agreed.  I would have put in either Lock or Patterson over him.

I can agree with that. I wouldn't have Fitz #1. However it is possible he can reach that next year.

hogcard1964

Quote from: King Kong on February 03, 2017, 01:17:06 pm
I can agree eight that. I wouldn't have Fitz #1. However it is possible he can reach that next year.

Agree, but you just cannot put Hurts over Allen.

PorkSoda

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 03, 2017, 01:22:58 pm
Agree, but you just cannot put Hurts over Allen.
when you win the SEC and almost win the NCG you can.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogcard1964

Biggus Piggus

Returning SEC leaders in passer rating:

1. Austin Allen - 146.0
2. Sean White, Auburn - 143.1
3. Jalen Hurts, Alabama - 139.1
4. Danny Etling, LSU - 135.5
5. Drew Lock, Missouri - 133.3
6. Stephen Johnson, Kentucky - 131.0

Jake Hubenak, aTm - 145.2 (only 2.5 full games)
Jake Bentley, South Carolina - 140.0 (only seven games)
Nick Fitzgerald, MSU - 124.3
Shea Patterson, Ole Miss - 121.0
Jacob Eason, Georgia - 120.3
Luke Del Rio, Florida - 118.6
Kyle Shurmur, Vandy - 111.0

McElroy seems to place great value on a quarterback's rushing ability.

Top returning rushing QB's in the SEC:

1. Nick Fitzgerald, MSU - 195-1,375 16 TD
2. Jalen Hurts, Alabama - 191-954 13 TD
3. John Franklin, Auburn - 46-430 2 TD
4. Stephen Johnson, Kentucky - 97-327 3 TD
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

QBs who can be effective runners is the way to go in college.  Can understand them being valued. 

I look forward to AA as a senior.

Patterson is going to be entertaining.

Eason is going to be an NFL franchise qb. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

1highhog

Just think how high AA's rating would have been if he wouldn't have got hit so many times and got dinged and hurt some, you could tell he was his same self on his throws later in the season.

I have to admit, those Allen brothers have some big ole balls for taking the hits they have and keep plugging away.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 03:11:59 pm
Returning SEC leaders in passer rating:

1. Austin Allen - 146.0
2. Sean White, Auburn - 143.1
3. Jalen Hurts, Alabama - 139.1
4. Danny Etling, LSU - 135.5
5. Drew Lock, Missouri - 133.3
6. Stephen Johnson, Kentucky - 131.0

Jake Hubenak, aTm - 145.2 (only 2.5 full games)
Jake Bentley, South Carolina - 140.0 (only seven games)
Nick Fitzgerald, MSU - 124.3
Shea Patterson, Ole Miss - 121.0
Jacob Eason, Georgia - 120.3
Luke Del Rio, Florida - 118.6
Kyle Shurmur, Vandy - 111.0

McElroy seems to place great value on a quarterback's rushing ability.

Top returning rushing QB's in the SEC:

1. Nick Fitzgerald, MSU - 195-1,375 16 TD
2. Jalen Hurts, Alabama - 191-954 13 TD
3. John Franklin, Auburn - 46-430 2 TD
4. Stephen Johnson, Kentucky - 97-327 3 TD

Drew Lock is going to be really good.

a0ashle

Allen fell off after that low blow from auburn, prior to that he'd be #1-#2

onebadrubi

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 03, 2017, 03:22:13 pm
Drew Lock is going to be really good.

Just like most other spread QB's that fit a system of slinging it around the park.

Paul

Quote from: a0ashle on February 03, 2017, 04:40:19 pm
Allen fell off after that low blow from auburn, prior to that he'd be #1-#2
exactly...he got tentative.  that was a cheap shot by Carl Lawson & should have a least been a penalty

a0ashle

Quote from: Paul on February 03, 2017, 05:41:04 pm
exactly...he got tentative.  that was a cheap shot by Carl Lawson & should have a least been a penalty

I think it is in the NFL, it's the Tom Brady rule about diving at QBs legs.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on February 03, 2017, 12:58:49 pm

we couldnt score a point in the 2nd half of the bowl game.  AAllen turned the ball over.   Yes, he had a lot of yards and TD passes but he had his faults as well and he is not mobile.   Fitzgerald is like 6-5 or 6-6 and can run like a deer.  Reminds me of Matt Jones. Hurts is a dual threat.

Im actually surprised after the way Arkansas finished up the season Allen was even on the list. 

ChicoHog

I'll take Hurts over any of them.  the guy makes plays.  he struggled passing in the last two games but he is such an effective playmaker it doesn't matter that much.  If you are talking just a passer then i would take Allen and maybe Lock second. 

tophawg19

Hurts wouldn't have been good outside of being backed by Bama's defense . He doesn't do well throwing the deep stuff . Clemson showed his weakness . Next year may see all that change with coaching and Maturity . He can run but still has a long way to go as a passer .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

(notOM)Rebel123

What's so special about McElroy's Top 5 list?
I'm being serious. Why should anyone care?
Please explain the significance?...Other than something to talk about in the off season.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

LRHawg

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 03, 2017, 09:33:52 pm
I'll take Hurts over any of them.  the guy makes plays.  he struggled passing in the last two games but he is such an effective playmaker it doesn't matter that much.  If you are talking just a passer then i would take Allen and maybe Lock second.

Hurts would look pretty average behind a mediocre offensive line.

Hogs958

goodguytex

Quote from: LRHawg on February 03, 2017, 11:00:41 pm
Hurts would look pretty average behind a mediocre offensive line.
Hurts would've spent much of the season on his butt with defensive linemen and linebackers on top of him if he'd played with Arkansas ofeensive line most of the year.

ChicoHog

Quote from: goodguytex on February 04, 2017, 09:01:03 am
Hurts would've spent much of the season on his butt with defensive linemen and linebackers on top of him if he'd played with Arkansas ofeensive line most of the year.
Maybe, but also he may have scrambled his way out of it and made a lot of first downs. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

Maybe he thinks Allen will again.... too often be hurried/sacked...more than having the time needed, to throw the ball toward receivers.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: ChicoHog on February 04, 2017, 05:22:37 pm
Maybe, but also he may have scrambled his way out of it and made a lot of first downs.

Doubtful. He's woefully inaccurate when hurried. So that eliminates the deep threat and brings DBs up for containment.

MuskogeeHogFan

Pre-season picks, especially this far in advance, are nothing more than fuel for conversation and clicks on web sites.

I expect AA to be a much improved QB next season and I expect his O-Line to be much improved as well.
Go Hogs Go!