Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Signing Day at the Rock" story

Started by Biggus Piggus, February 03, 2017, 11:50:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JaketheSnake

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 12:34:34 pm
For all we know, it's the same celebration when every recruit commits to being a Hog, only difference is there isn't camera crew there watching them watch on live TV.
And the staff already knew what was happening when the video was playing. Was completely staged for TV!  Some people will never get it tho

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 01:47:15 pm
Jim was an established Razorback beat reporter for the Gazette when I first began covering the Hogs back in the 1980s. His opinion is well grounded in knowledge gathered close to the action.

This. I value his opinion on the Hogs over anyone.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 01:58:55 pm
Really? I've read on three different boards, and I'd say that it was 90%-10% on it was nothing, and a good bit of them said, "I'm no facts of Bret, except they didn't spell it that way. They ones there said everyone was laughing at it, except the 11yr old and he thought they were laughing at him.

Hmm, probably time for a scathing Sportslife article on the evil Bret Bielema, I'm sure will get the proverbial plug for it on here.

I'm glad someone will write a scathing article on him. Some of us refuse to embrace mediocrity  ;D

Hell... we're far below mediocrity in the SEC  >:(

luke hawg

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 03:48:58 pm
I would not concur with your opinion of my opinion. My opinion is: I think Bret Bielema needs to change a lot of things to succeed here, though, beyond a 7-8 ceiling (pretty much HDN's ceiling over 10  years). He's doing that on the defensive side. They need more players, though. He needs a defensive staff that is all in starting with spring practice. He needs to demand more from the entire 105 starting NOW to improve on 7-6. He needs to self-evaluate and ask himself if he is setting the type of example he wants to set for the players from which he asks much in the way of discipline, clean football, etc.

As a fan that doesn't have access to the program like a media member, I can only judge the program on objective stats. We are doing fantastically academically, 2nd lowest attrition rate in the SEC, 3 consecutive bowl games, most players drafted in 4 consecutive years in razorback history, and 247 number 1,2, and 4 rated classes last 3 years. When a position group or coordinator is not performing at a high level, he is quickly replaced.

BIelema does try and spin things in his favor and usually over sells his team preseason. He seems to feel there is value in always marketing a program that has a relatively small market. I take it with a grain of salt. It seems you've gained recognition with a portion of the fanbase for "telling it like it is". The truth is Bielema could be a failure but he hasn't proven that to be a fact yet. I think your writing will have to slant towards the positive next season. We shall see.

southeasthog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 03, 2017, 10:08:18 pm
I would give that nod to Mike Irwin. But that's just me. :)

goshog

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on February 03, 2017, 02:46:01 pm
It's a 10yo kid, not some 16yo smart mouth. I think he's doing the right thing under the circumstances. From what I'm told the dad didn't put him up to it. He just reads alot. No doubt he was parroting what he hears when grown people are talking about the Hogs.

I agree,  if the kid was embarrassed then it would be cool for him to have coach b call and apologize. Sometimes adults, especially adults who don't have kids don't realize how easily kids get embarrassed when you're just joking around with them. Coach is a pretty funny guy and I'm sure didn't mean any harm.

ricepig

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 03, 2017, 10:08:18 pm

Worth as much as his.   8)

tophawg19

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 01:26:38 pm
No. 1, my son wouldn't have dared ask it or anything else, so I wouldn't have to worry about it. Second, I'm just reporting what people who know the father and were sitting nearby say. I also understand two UA coaches were sitting at the the same table as these boys who asked questions. I guess these folks are just taking up for the dad and you know better.
The boy is apparently about as die-hard an 11-year-old Hog fan as any other his age and, these people say, was asking what he thought was a pertinent question. Obviously among myraid messageboarders, it wasn't, or the place was inappropriate for it.
I wonder if his dad is on here. Maybe he could give his story. And, like I said, maybe the kid should join Hogville. An 11-year-old would fit in perfectly.
Why report on anything without having facts ? maybe CBB can send him an Autographed something to ease the kids pain. This generation is too easily offended . Most kids would be thrilled CBB spoke to them or gave them a chance to speak. If you weren't there then why report what was supposedly said ? If coaches were at the table and they did nothing to ease the situation , then the kids weren't to upset . Sounds like a FCJ moment where folks are looking for the bad and digging for it.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The NewEra

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 01:04:57 pm
Email me and I'll tell you who I am. Read more other than when Factchecker or a few others pull selected posts out that fit their agenda and you will see I'm not "negative at all times." You don't have to value my opinion at all.

I've seen you on channel 11 numerous times and I Don't Value your opinion.  You always seem so have an agenda and I don't care for pundits with an agenda.

Jim Harris

Quote from: tophawg19 on February 04, 2017, 08:42:52 am
Why report on anything without having facts ? maybe CBB can send him an Autographed something to ease the kids pain. This generation is too easily offended . Most kids would be thrilled CBB spoke to them or gave them a chance to speak. If you weren't there then why report what was supposedly said ? If coaches were at the table and they did nothing to ease the situation , then the kids weren't to upset . Sounds like a FCJ moment where folks are looking for the bad and digging for it.

Have you ever worked as a reporter? Do you even know what reporters do? With small staffs on newspapers these days, reporters don't always see what happens at an event. They have to ask various sources what happened and then develop an objective report on the event.

Anyway, I didn't report on anything. The only thing I knew for certain, I addressed way up there with the OP: The boys weren't brothers. And there were two UA coaches sitting at the same table. That is all I know. You all took the rest and ran with it, just like Hogville always does.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

SemperFi

I'm sorry that I've wasted 20 minutes of my lunch break reading this garbage. Could have been staring blankly at the wall for those 20 minutes, but I found myself oddly stuck to this train wreck of a thread that has nothing to do with anything except for some child having his feelings hurt. Big freaking deal! He might want to get used to disappointment because life can be ruthless and if my son asked a stupid question like that I would tell him that he just earned what he got.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Biggus Piggus

Funny how some people come to dislike Jim because he's not a cheerleader in the early season. Then we end up 7-6, and they still dislike Jim because he "has an agenda." Horseshit.
[CENSORED]!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 06, 2017, 05:07:21 pm
Funny how some people come to dislike Jim because he's not a cheerleader in the early season. Then we end up 7-6, and they still dislike Jim because he "has an agenda." Horseshit.
He aight I guess.

Ironhawg

By and large I enjoy what Jim writes.  He generally seems to be less negative than say, Harry King.  He is much easier to read than Nate Allen, who often writes in a language that closely resembles English. 

ckhawgu

I'm actually digging that the kid asked him the Froholdt question! Coach B's answer probably would have gone way over this kid's ability to understand his reasons why though. It was hard to watch at times, no doubt about that! At any rate, we've got another experienced OL we can throw in the mix for next year!  ;)

And, in other news, the word Agenda:  Everyone has an agenda.  Getting up and getting dressed is an agenda.  We all do whatever we do for some reason, some kind of agenda.  I suspect in the case of getting dressed in the morning, it has more to do with not getting charged with either decent or indecent exposure, thus, an agenda.  Why do we seem to call nearly every OPINION that doesn't jive with our OPINION, an AGENDA.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 11:50:06 am
But why do we have fans who are so desperate to attack Bielema that they invent reasons to hate him?
May I pose this same question about Mike Anderson? Sorry, I just couldn't resist... ;)
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Razorbackers

hogcard1964

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 03, 2017, 01:19:57 pm
Signing day is the wrong time and place for that type of stuff. Having said that CBB should have been fired at the end of his first season. He's that bad.

I can't argue against either of these points.

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 07, 2017, 09:38:04 am
I can't argue against either of these points.

lol really? Not even the 2nd one?

BadHog

HV posters dislike anyone who:

1) expresses an opinion that doesn't align with their opinion
2) is a media member
3) is a pretend media member (Robert Shields)
4) supports the HC
5) hates the HC
6) uses incorrect grammer
7) uses facts in a post
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Ironhawg

Quote from: BadHog on February 07, 2017, 09:58:34 am
HV posters dislike anyone who:

1) expresses an opinion that doesn't align with their opinion
2) is a media member
3) is a pretend media member (Robert Shields)
4) supports the HC
5) hates the HC
6) uses incorrect grammer
7) uses facts in a post

Re #6 proper spelling is grammar. 

P.S.  I dislike you because you misspelled grammar.

BadHog

Quote from: Ironhawg on February 07, 2017, 10:02:07 am
Re #6 proper spelling is grammar. 

P.S.  I dislike you because you misspelled grammar.

Didn't get the pun obviously - just rediculous (the most misspelled word used on this board)
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Piggfoot

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 01:29:46 pm
It doesn't matter what YOU think, it's what the kid thinks, no? Several people around the boy say that, especially when the event was over, he felt like he was ridiculed for his question and had done something wrong and didn't know why it hard turned out that way. I hope you were there to tell him, "Suck up it, kid, you weren't ridiculed. Join Hogville if you want to see what ridicule is like."
The Event was about signing day. Questions should have been about the incoming recruits. No matter who the Kids belonged to their questions about last years happenings were inappropriate. They should be reprimanded . If not actually prompted to ask their questions I believe they where parroting negative things they had over heard  their parents talk about.
If the kids thought they were ridiculed they should put their big pants on or better yet ask their adult friend or parent to ask questions for them.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 06, 2017, 10:34:39 am
Have you ever worked as a reporter? Do you even know what reporters do? With small staffs on newspapers these days, reporters don't always see what happens at an event. They have to ask various sources what happened and then develop an objective report on the event.

Anyway, I didn't report on anything. The only thing I knew for certain, I addressed way up there with the OP: The boys weren't brothers. And there were two UA coaches sitting at the same table. That is all I know. You all took the rest and ran with it, just like Hogville always does.
As a reporter anything you say on line or in the printed media is reporting.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 01:47:15 pm
Jim was an established Razorback beat reporter for the Gazette when I first began covering the Hogs back in the 1980s. His opinion is well grounded in knowledge gathered close to the action.

I am confused how this story became more about Jim and less about the Dad and those kids????
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Piggfoot

Quote from: factchecker on February 03, 2017, 12:05:29 pm
This was discussed in the trash thread but how do you feel about this:

https://twitter.com/jimharris360/status/827350481345314818

I'm guessing this in response to our coaches landing Chevin Callloway.  Yeah, I'm sure the coaches are happy because of the star rating...... let's forget about the hours and trips and calls, and effort put into developing a relationship with a great kid and prospect who they've been recruiting for years.  A kid who picked us over Texas and Ole Miss on ESPN.

Yeah Jim it's just the stars.
I really don't understand why Jim felt the need to make a snarky comment about the recruiting.
Very disappointing.

Al Boarland

I did find it interesting now that Pittman is gone CBB is saying they are going for more "meat and potatoes" in recruiting. There are two ways to look at that. 1. They were recruiting just on ratings when he was on staff 2. They can't land them now that he's gone.

UGA brought in a very good o line class this cycle.

ricepig

Quote from: Al Boarland on February 07, 2017, 03:24:13 pm
I did find it interesting now that Pittman is gone CBB is saying they are going for more "meat and potatoes" in recruiting. There are two ways to look at that. 1. They were recruiting just on ratings when he was on staff 2. They can't land them now that he's gone.

UGA brought in a very good o line class this cycle.
UGA brings in a good o-line class every year.

Piggfoot

Quote from: ricepig on February 07, 2017, 03:32:11 pm
UGA brings in a good o-line class every year.
With Georgia's talent,  I don't understand why they are not in the playoff every year.

code red

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 03, 2017, 11:50:06 am
During Q&A at Signing Day at the Rock, some guy used his young son to ask Bret Bielema negative-toned questions.

He asked what Bielema was going to do about the recent tendency to collapse in the second half of games.

He also asked why Hjalte Froholdt started all season.

Bielema kinda laughed it off. Some people online tried to spin it into a huge deal, fabricating Bielema's answers and claiming he humiliated the kid / his dad.

You don't hold a signing day event to take questions that are nothing more than backhanded insults. Who knows why the young man asked those questions - unlikely they were his own ideas.

But why do we have fans who are so desperate to attack Bielema that they invent reasons to hate him?
Because..they are sick of losing.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ricepig

Quote from: code red on February 07, 2017, 04:09:04 pm
Because..they are sick of losing.

So, that's a reason to invent something?