Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New DL Coach?

Started by Peter Porker, February 01, 2017, 03:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: wachhog on February 08, 2017, 09:19:32 pm
You think it was possible this was all he could get? I do. Why else wait for a month to make this hire? Why wait until after signing day?  I think he has struck out for years now. I think 9 innings will soon be over and this gig will come to an end.  Until then...we can paint, I guess.

If you've read any of my other posts, Montgomery turned us down last weekend and Bret moved on. I have no idea if Scott was the next guy or not.  I don't care what you think. Your 9 innings will take two years minimum, and will be extended with a 9 win season next year, paint away.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2017, 09:41:08 pm
If you've read any of my other posts, Montgomery turned us down last weekend and Bret moved on. I have no idea if Scott was the next guy or not.  I don't care what you think. Your 9 innings will take two years minimum, and will be extended with a 9 win season next year, paint away.

Don't let him bother you, Rice.  I read your posts.  :)
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2017, 09:41:08 pm

9-3 next season would be magnificent.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 08, 2017, 09:45:37 pm

Oh, I'm not proclaiming one, just yet, but I suspect we'll be 8-4ish for the regular season, so it's doable as Sean Connery says.

Paul

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2017, 10:49:43 am
And many assistants are retained.  Most programs do not clean house when they replace a coordinator.  That's just a fact.
the DC who brought him in was fired for a DUI.  It was his 1st year.  doubtful most new coordinators  would keep him or someone there for one year when the defense sucked so bad

ricepig

Quote from: Paul on February 08, 2017, 10:06:44 pm
the DC who brought him in was fired for a DUI.  It was his 1st year.  doubtful most new coordinators  would keep him or someone there for one year when the defense sucked so bad

Scott was at Tech for two years.

ricepig

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

ricepig

Yep, go back believing what I told you, haha.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 08, 2017, 10:15:44 pm
Hang on, I think they meant Chris Partridge.....

Yeah, lol.  C'mon CFTalk.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on February 08, 2017, 09:27:48 pm
Dude you have a serious boner for me.  It's really weird.

And you're comparing a head coaching change to a coordinator change.  Also, CBB has done plenty of things that I like.

So do I but it's a totally different kind im thinking.

bennyl08

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 08, 2017, 09:45:37 pm

We were a 9-4 talent team this season. We return the meat of the team from last year as well.

One of the most important players and probably highest draft pick was injured allowing other players to get experience in his stead. We lose two of our more experienced players, one on each side of the ball. However, we upgrade in athleticism a pretty high degree in both cases. The biggest question we have is at WR. First, that is the second easiest position to replace behind RB. Secondly, we have a crop of 3rd WR's who have redshirted and played sparingly behind the talented group we are losing ready to step in and replace them. Stewart and Pettway are easily as talented as Adams and Wright physically. We also have Jordan Jones in his 2nd year who is a prototype #1 receiver who even Bama wanted as a sophomore in HS. Moreover, we bring some really good players in this class highlighted by a Brandon Marshall-esque JUCO in Martin who is a bigger and stronger if a step slower version of Reed. Lastly, we return quite arguably our best receiver in Cornelius to give the group experienced leadership as well.

No reason whatsoever to expect our team to be less talented than they were last year. Further, no reason at all, especially under current coaching staff, to expect our team to not be more developed than they were last year given how many first year starters we played and how few starters we lose. 9-3 regular season should not be a surprise to anybody.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 08, 2017, 10:24:46 pm
So do I but it's a totally different kind im thinking.

Has to be.
1909/1964/1965/1977

LZH

Quote from: wachhog on February 08, 2017, 08:58:25 pm
I think his fate in Fayetteville has been decided for while now. The guys he interviewed probably knew it, too.

You are probably right.

Pork Twain

February 09, 2017, 06:12:24 am #316 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:49:05 am by Pork Twain
I am all about at least giving him one year to coach and recruit before we Hogville fire him
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

King Kong

Quote from: gchamblee on February 08, 2017, 09:35:20 pm
can you name someone who has?

I can. But I'm not going to call other poster when you can simply go back and read their post between the 2 different threads on this topic

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on February 08, 2017, 09:15:12 pm
As I said in another thread, at this point in his Arkansas tenure, Bielema simply isn't able to make a consensus homerun hire.

Homerun hires are only due to publicity at the time. NOBODY knows how ANY hire will perform. Nobody thought Saban was a homerun hire when he got the LSU job. Heck Duke was only year or so away from firing Coack K after he had been there only a very short time. Same for assistants. Some have done great at one place only to be not so great at others. Don't look now but your agenda is showing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hawgon

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 09, 2017, 09:49:55 am
Homerun hires are only due to publicity at the time. NOBODY knows how ANY hire will perform. Nobody thought Saban was a homerun hire when he got the LSU job. Heck Duke was only year or so away from firing Coack K after he had been there only a very short time. Same for assistants. Some have done great at one place only to be not so great at others. Don't look now but your agenda is showing.

Nobody knows how any hire will perform, but there are hires that are consensus homerun hires when they are made.  And you know that. 

Inhogswetrust

February 09, 2017, 05:20:11 pm #320 Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:50:37 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 11:51:04 am
Nobody knows how any hire will perform, but there are hires that are consensus homerun hires when they are made.  And you know that. 

I know people SAY they are home run hires but that is only publicity and their history. Saying it doesn't make it so. If there is one thing I know about ANY hiring it is always a gamble as to if it works out or not. I've hired people and thought it was a home run hire and they did bad and I had to fire them. History AFTER they have been at a place is what makes home run hires that. You and I both know that when Duke hired coach K some fans there probably thought it was NOT a home run hire.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bennyl08

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 11:51:04 am

You admit the problem with "home-run" hires in the first part, but seem to place importance on them anyways.

When was the last time a home run hire of a HC at a P5 school led to anything?

For every Urban Meyer, there's a Charlie Strong. For every Chip Kelly, there's a Will Muschamp. For every James Franklin, a Houston Nutt.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hawgon

Quote from: bennyl08 on February 09, 2017, 06:48:59 pm
You admit the problem with "home-run" hires in the first part, but seem to place importance on them anyways.

When was the last time a home run hire of a HC at a P5 school led to anything?

For every Urban Meyer, there's a Charlie Strong. For every Chip Kelly, there's a Will Muschamp. For every James Franklin, a Houston Nutt.

I don't place anything on them.  I'm just stating the obvious truth that Bielema will not from this point forward at Arkansas he able to hire any assistants wanted by any other Power 5 programs.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 08:19:13 pm
I don't place anything on them.  I'm just stating the obvious truth that Bielema will not from this point forward at Arkansas he able to hire any assistants wanted by any other Power 5 programs.

How do you know that he wasn't wanted by any other power 5 schools? That's not very obvious to me.

hawgon

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 09, 2017, 09:50:38 pm
How do you know that he wasn't wanted by any other power 5 schools? That's not very obvious to me.

Why yes I'm sure there were plenty of other schools waiting until February to hire an assistant to an assistant on one of the worst teams in the NFL.

menace_hawg3

Quote from: hawgon on February 09, 2017, 09:57:01 pm
Why yes I'm sure there were plenty of other schools waiting until February to hire an assistant to an assistant on one of the worst teams in the NFL.

It's hard for a any college team to hire an Assistant coach from the NFL.  Your post assumes that because he was an "assistant to an assistant" that he wouldn't make a good D-Line coach for a power 5 school. If we follow that line of thinking, Jerry Montgomery would make a bad D-Line coach at Arkansas as well.
The Jets' defensive line was definitely not the reason why they were one of the worst teams in the NFL. As a matter of fact, the Jets' defense was ranked 11th in total defense and 3rd in rush defense. Here are the links:

RUN DEFENSE
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2013&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

TOTAL DEFENSE
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

hawgon

Quote from: menace_hawg3 on February 09, 2017, 11:13:53 pm
It's hard for a any college team to hire an Assistant coach from the NFL.  Your post assumes that because he was an "assistant to an assistant" that he wouldn't make a good D-Line coach for a power 5 school. If we follow that line of thinking, Jerry Montgomery would make a bad D-Line coach at Arkansas as well.
The Jets' defensive line was definitely not the reason why they were one of the worst teams in the NFL. As a matter of fact, the Jets' defense was ranked 11th in total defense and 3rd in rush defense. Here are the links:

RUN DEFENSE
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2013&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

TOTAL DEFENSE
http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Rushing defense is an increasingly irrelevant statistic in both the NFL and college.  Nobody runs the ball.

By the way New England and Atlanta were 30 and 31 at rush defense. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hawgon on February 10, 2017, 06:53:35 am
Rushing defense is an increasingly irrelevant statistic in both the NFL and college.  Nobody runs the ball.

25 of the 32 NFL teams averaged more than 100 yards per game. Most of those teams were significantly UP in their rushing yards per game from 2015.

Teams are still running the ball.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

colbs

Quote from: hawgon on February 10, 2017, 06:53:35 am

New England was 4th in rush defense giving up 88.4 yards per game.  Not sure where you got your stats from.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-yards-per-game

hawgon

Quote from: colbs on February 10, 2017, 08:18:13 am
New England was 4th in rush defense giving up 88.4 yards per game.  Not sure where you got your stats from.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-rushing-yards-per-game

From the first link above by the guy claiming the NY Jets were third.

colbs

Quote from: hawgon on February 10, 2017, 08:46:59 am
From the first link above by the guy claiming the NY Jets were third.
Not sure the NFL link is correct.  Here the ESPN link-http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense

hawgon

Quote from: colbs on February 10, 2017, 09:24:24 am
Not sure the NFL link is correct.  Here the ESPN link-http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense

If the NFL link isn't correct, then the Jets weren't the third ranked rushing defense either.

colbs

Quote from: hawgon on February 10, 2017, 10:35:30 am
If the NFO link isn't correct, then the Jets weren't the third ranked rushing defense either.
Yeah but that's a irrelevant stat right?  Just messing with you.  According to one of the links they were 13 which isn't bad.  I don't think you can base how good a DL is based soley on rushing defense.  The LBs have a lot to do with rushing stats too.

The_Bionic_Pig

February 10, 2017, 12:41:57 pm #333 Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 12:55:46 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Jets tied for 1st in forced fumbles....plus he's the DL coach his focus is RUSH DEFENSE not passing defense. (that's also Rhoads responsibility)

If Arkansas fielded a top 50 defense last season were 9-3 headed into a bowl game instead of watching the Aggies QB run for almost 200yds and the LSU (shut down the previous year) & Auburn Running games look unstoppable.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*