Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New DL Coach?

Started by Peter Porker, February 01, 2017, 03:08:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Porker

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/jerry-montgomery/5545a09c-2e80-4cf6-b384-981bd8c76974

The reason why I posted that is CBB mentioned in his news conference about meeting with a coach that just lost in the NFL conference games. This one makes the most since.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ricepig

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 01, 2017, 03:08:16 pm
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/jerry-montgomery/5545a09c-2e80-4cf6-b384-981bd8c76974

The reason why I posted that is CBB mentioned in his news conference about meeting with a coach that just lost in the NFL conference games. This one makes the most since.

Yeah, people are saying that, but he was quoted as saying it was a dream to work in the NFL, he was also Co-DC at OU. I'd love it as he's a great recruiter, too, but I don't see it.

hogfan14

Did he specifically say it was for the DL? Technically Segrest isn't gone yet. Thought it could be a DB coach too.

Hugo Bezdek

Joe Whitt, Jr. is also a coach for the Packers that might be interested in a return to the college game. He has also been noted as a great recruiter from his time at Louisville.

King Kong

Jerry makes all of sense. He didn't get along with Mike Stoops.

Experience in th 3-4 that PR talked about

a0ashle

Safeties for GB were good, our CBs were atrocious, but they were also dropping like flies so it's hard to judge how much of that is on coaching (outside of Dom Capers desire to call WAAAAAY to exotic blitzes and coverages which only exacerbated their weakness.

As for the DL coach? Yes please! Agim could be our Mike Daniels, and while some of you might not recognize the name, the dude is a beast and pure disruption on the interior.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: a0ashle on February 01, 2017, 05:27:53 pm
Safeties for GB were good, our CBs were atrocious, but they were also dropping like flies so it's hard to judge how much of that is on coaching (outside of Dom Capers desire to call WAAAAAY to exotic blitzes and coverages which only exacerbated their weakness.

As for the DL coach? Yes please! Agim could be our Mike Daniels, and while some of you might not recognize the name, the dude is a beast and pure disruption on the interior.

I like what I read about Montgomery. Sounds like he'd be a good one, and an outstanding recruiter it seems.

Couldn't help but notice that Ron Zook is the Special Team Coordinator for GB. Not sure what I'd think of him returning to the college game at Arkansas.

rljjr

Quote from: a0ashle on February 01, 2017, 05:27:53 pm

Our CBs were VASTLY improved this season. How do people not see this?

hawgdavis

Don't know about coaching but Zook can flat out recruit

HamSammich

Quote from: rljjr on February 01, 2017, 05:52:15 pm

No. I have every game recorded and have been watching them  again... our safeties are completely lost. The cornerbacks sometimes cover the wrong assignment.

Scott7703

Montgomery has been rumored before CBB mentioned anything today. We shall see if anything comes of it

onebadrubi

Quote from: HamSammich on February 01, 2017, 05:58:46 pm
No. I have every game recorded and have been watching them  again... our safeties are completely lost. The cornerbacks sometimes cover the wrong assignment.

You don't know their assignments, but nice guess.  In the back 7 of a defense, CB's pass of guys all the time or sometimes don't pick up coverage on a guy until the OLB passes him off. 

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

axedawg

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 01, 2017, 03:08:16 pm

Since when...go on, please finish your thoughts...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Listening to the CBB quote it sounded like coach he wanted to talk to was no longer and option.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: rljjr on February 01, 2017, 05:52:15 pm
Uhhh you missed it he was talking about Green Bays CBs ;D

HamSammich

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 01, 2017, 07:35:01 pm
You don't know their assignments, but nice guess.  In the back 7 of a defense, CB's pass of guys all the time or sometimes don't pick up coverage on a guy until the OLB passes him off.

I absolutely know their assignments. It's easy to spot when there is an error

Beardog

Quote from: HamSammich on February 01, 2017, 09:36:15 pm

It's not always that simple. With each gameplan, players had different responsibilities. Sometimes a player will see someone's blown assignment and it looks like another's error. I'll say, it appears the safeties this year were asked to do more than they could handle. Hoping to simplify their roles and be more agressive.

Peter Porker

Quote from: axedawg on February 01, 2017, 07:50:48 pm
Since when...go on, please finish your thoughts...

Since I used the wrong sense.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HogShat

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on February 01, 2017, 07:42:06 pm
Who is not in this video?

https://twitter.com/razorbackfb/status/826957488742400001

I'm not face familiar with the whole staff. Who is that beside Rhoads that showed zero emotion?

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I honestly don't care who it is as long as they can develop talent. When you have the ability to bring in several 4*'s along the defensive line but are unable to develop them, you end up where we are right now.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

rljjr

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 01, 2017, 08:53:15 pm

Oppps!!! My bad! Sincere apologies.

secfan30

Quote from: HamSammich on February 01, 2017, 05:58:46 pm

Recorded TV gives you no idea on a teams assignments and what was missed in the defensive backfield. Tv follows the ball, so the only time you see the defensive backfield is on a big play.

On a side note, I love my hogs and never miss a game, even will turn on a replay in the back ground, but the amount of time it takes to study game film, brother you need to get laid.

onebadrubi

BS, you are just making this up to try and put this staff down.

azhog10

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on February 01, 2017, 07:42:06 pm
Who is not in this video?

https://twitter.com/razorbackfb/status/826957488742400001
Didn't see Enos, and not sure who the bald headed guy is next to Michael Smith. Segrest? Herbs? Not sure.

King Kong

Quote from: azhog10 on February 02, 2017, 09:00:11 am
Didn't see Enos, and not sure who the bald headed guy is next to Michael Smith. Segrest? Herbs? Not sure.

Lunney

jackflash

I think Ron Zook would be a good hire here

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: HogShat on February 02, 2017, 07:22:09 am
I'm not face familiar with the whole staff. Who is that beside Rhoads that showed zero emotion?

I believe that is Vernon Hargreaves who helped recruit the kid.  The video I saw it looked like VH was more relieved than anything like thank God we got that kid I may get to keep my job.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Oklahawg

According to FANONTHEHILL, the entire offensive staff is there along with Hargraves and Rhoads. No Segrest.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: HogShat on February 02, 2017, 07:22:09 am

In the longer version shown Hargreaves is smiling and shaking hands like the rest of them.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Bielema says the moment he knew Robb Smith was leaving, he let the recruits know. What if he knew something about Segrest and notified DL commits/guys that wanted to commit as well? It makes sense
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AugustaHog

Could we steal Zook as STs coach/assoc. head coach and add Montgomery as the DL coach?  Would that be too much to ask?  That'd be a pretty stacked staff and great additions as recruiters.  Pipe dream, obviously. 

Tusks

Quote from: AugustaHog on February 02, 2017, 11:53:25 am
Could we steal Zook as STs coach/assoc. head coach and add Montgomery as the DL coach?  Would that be too much to ask?  That'd be a pretty stacked staff and great additions as recruiters.  Pipe dream, obviously. 

yeah I don't get the lack of focus on recruiting ability.

If you're gonna have 'edges' in what you want in an assistant coach, how can recruiting not be an 'edge'.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

The_Bionic_Pig

If Montgomery comes it's to be Co-Defensive Coordinator not D-Line Coach (imo)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

King Kong

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 02, 2017, 12:34:38 pm

Yeah he would have to atleast get Co-DC but would probably still work with DL

ricepig

That's why I don't think it's him.

a0ashle

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 01, 2017, 08:53:15 pm

Confirmed :) I think I mixed my pronouns a little being both a Packer fan and Razorback fan.

Razorback CBs were much better this year.

For GB at one point opposing QBs had a QB rating of 131 when targeting our corners.

Scott7703

February 02, 2017, 03:51:19 pm #39 Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:06:56 pm by Scott7703

I don't see any scenario where this happens.

And I do think Montgonery is one of the the people in the running.

a0ashle

What about the steelers staff? They run the 3-4 too and lost the AFCCG.

Dwight_K_Shrute

So Ms State hired Ron English today as their safeties coach.  I thought standing rule was if hiring from the outside you had to wait at minimum two weeks after NSD.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

aar0n

We've snuck some guys in for interviews. Being on the road is a good time to do things under the radar. One of the guys I wanted to interview was just eliminated from the NFL playoffs and another is still involved. I don't want to speculate on when it's going to happen.

- CBB during his NSD presser

Sounds like Belichick is coming to be our D-line coach, but I'm sure we'll have to give him an associate HC title or something too.

But for real, these are the only coaches in the SB with college ties that would even come close to leaving for AR, and neither are d-line coaches:

Chad Walker - LBs/Defensive assistant with the Falcons

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches/Chad-Walker/aa00b721-1537-4f60-af5a-0c8d04df9ecc?qwr=fullsite_temporary

Looks like he has strong Louisiana ties, started coaching under Saban at LSU, and has only been around the south.

Doug Mallory - D-backs/defensive assistant with the Falcons

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/coaches/Doug-Mallory/f76ae18c-6838-49ba-a011-db5da93efd3e?qwr=fullsite_temporary

This dude has 25 years of college coaching experience and was at LSU for 4 years.

Could we end up with another coach making his way here from ATL?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: ricepig on February 02, 2017, 12:39:37 pm
That's why I don't think it's him.

I think it's him CBB wanted to talk to.

However, I agree I doubt he will come

jackflash

what do you think about moving  Hargraves to DB and hiring a DL and LB coach

clutch

It's extremely hard, if not impossible sometimes, to spot what the correct coverages  or errors that occurred by the DB's by watching regular TV footage. Unless you have access to cameras showing all 22 players, I doubt you "absolutely know" what their assignments were.

RedyorNot

ricepig

Quote from: RedyorNot on February 05, 2017, 11:49:34 am
Says it won't be either Montgomery or Partridge according to source-

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-defensive-line-coach-search

Well, hopefully their source is the same one that had Barry Odom as DC 3 years ago.

King Kong

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: RedyorNot on February 05, 2017, 11:49:34 am
Says it won't be either Montgomery or Partridge according to source-

https://www.seccountry.com/arkansas/arkansas-defensive-line-coach-search

Doesn't cross out Partridge as 2nd LB/ special teams...
Food for thought.