Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An Open Letter to Trey Flowers

Started by Steef, December 07, 2014, 06:56:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TomBigBeeHog

Cosign all of the above.  Love watching you play Much respect to you Trey.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

intelligence

Thank you for staying Trey, and i'm glad to see you make it to another bowl game to end your college career. We will always remember the way you set the tone for our defense in ending the losing streak in SEC play, and we will for ever be indebted to you for inspiring us all with your gritty play on the field.

Justagp

That really was a great post Steef! I gave you +1 and would have given you +100 if I could :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Oklahawg

Sounds like Steef got a shout out from Trey in the paper this morning. Thanks, too, to Doug for his help retweeting.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

immahog

The single greatest post in my hogville life
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

Doug

Quote from: OklahawgSounds like Steef got a shout out from Trey in the paper this morning. Thanks, too, to Doug for his help retweeting.
Which paper?
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

prattville pig

I've been passing this thread up for 2 days, thinking it was another corny post.  BUT, this was great, and needed said.   +1
Life's too short to last long.

PORKULATOR

Good Luck Trey. Thanks for coming back for your Sr year and helping pull this bunch together. Never yield
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Steef

Quote from: Doug on December 09, 2014, 11:26:22 am
Which paper?

Okla told me it was today's ADG. I'm in NC, so I don't get the paper.

Thank you, Doug...for passing this on to Trey.

phadedhawg

Wow!  That can give ya some feels. 

Thanks for all your hard work Trey!

gmarv

when a lot of us think of great razorbacks trey flowers will be there in that few.
you will always be remembered,for coming back when most would of took the money.

hogs24

Quote from: steefhog on December 09, 2014, 12:18:57 pm
Okla told me it was today's ADG. I'm in NC, so I don't get the paper.

Thank you, Doug...for passing this on to Trey.
yep very end of the article he mentioned it. Well done sir.
Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

staffhog

Steef, I'm right in the boat with you, just couldn't express it nearly as good.  Thanks for putting this out there.

Hard to believe Trey and Martrell are young men in their early 20s; they seem like they're "Big Bad John".

These two as well as Brey, Tevin and the other seniors have one more go in a Razorback uniform and I bet they display the color proudly and impose their will on this thorn in side of all Hog fans.

trashcan maN

Trey Flowers not only risked everything to come back and do something special for this state, he gave it everything he had every single day. Injuries be darned.

Trey Flowers may not have been born an Arkansan, but he will be an Arkansan and Razorback for the rest of his life.

He can have a DE spot on the All-Time Razorback squad as far as I'm concerned. He's an All-Timer

searkhogfan

I'm an Old Hog Fan from way back.  But Trey Flowers is on of my All-time favorite Razorbacks.  I rate him up there with Grovey, Atwater, Brad Taylor, & Matt Jones.  Go out a winner, Son.  Go Hogs

DeltaBoy

God Bless Trey for his commitment to his coach's, team and school. I pray he gets all that he deserves as he goes forward into the NFL.  He is a great young man.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Chief Mac

Quote from: hogs24 on December 09, 2014, 07:33:38 pm
yep very end of the article he mentioned it. Well done sir.

which article?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Boarmonger

I missed this thread somehow but after reading it, it deserves a bump.

I have been a fan since 1967.  During the intervening times the Hogs have given me plenty of joys and sorrows.  I can't remember being as emotionally invested as this year however.  I was so upset with the close losses because I felt they deserved a better fate.  CBB was right though; only when they earned it.  The canyon that these guys climbed out of from these last couple years has been incredible.  They've shut up the naysayers.  The fact that Trey stayed...just means so much to the psyche of the team. 

I have the same place in my heart for Trey as all the rest of you.  Uncommon indeed!

I hope that Trey, Martrell, Brey, and Tevin will get these guys revved up to go beat the hell out of Texas!

ronmahony

+1. Not a durned thing could I add to the OP. Has to be the best post I have read on here. And I agree, my favorite team of all. They didn't know the word quit. And Trey stayed here to help them learn that. Good luck in the NFL buddy, I know you will do well there.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

Razorpigg

Great post! 

Trey Flowers will forever be a true Razorback in every sense of the word!

Sir Oinksalot

...great post Steef, spoken from the heart....well done.
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

PorkSoda

Gonna miss him.  but can't wait to watch him set up camp the Texas back field in a couple weeks.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

hogs24

Quote from: Buff on August 04, 2013, 01:34:19 pm

I am THIS close to raping you right now. 

pearlhogg

Been a hog since I was 10  all the way back to 68.   This game may not
Have the grand luster that so many hogs and horns have had, but what is has is a distinct birth place of when Arkansas returned to the football world in restored it.  Thanks  Trey for being that guy to love the
Hogs over yourself.

john123

Been reading here for years and never post. Couldn't let this go without a comment. Single greatest post I've read on this site. Trey has proven to be one of the greatest leaders the razorback program has ever seen. Thank you young man and God bless you going forward in life, I predict you will be greatly rewarded for the sacrifices you have endured.

the END.

Thank you so much, Mr. Flowers. And the best in your next endeavors. Great post. And deserved.

PigTimePlayer

Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

Maddhog

What an awesomely refreshing thread and nobody deserves the tribute more than Trey Flowers.   I have felt tremendous affection for this team. especially the seniors who have played for three head coaches in four years.  Trey exemplified everything you want in a Razorback - skill, passion, strength, courage, tenacity - and he did it all with class.   I hope all of Trey and Martrell's professional dreams come true.   #wps4ever
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

New Mexico Hog

I have developed a new alternative perspective for evaluating Razorback football this season. I will probably always use the win-loss system because as a fan you want to win every game. This season I started evaluating based on heart, determination, and the ability to go forward in the face of adversity. From this new alternative perspective I have come to the conclusion that this years team is my all time favorite. Trey Flowers with his leadership this season might turn out to be the single most important player in the history of Razorback football. If we turn out to be a contenders a year or two from now, well none of that would be possible without Trey being here this year to steady the ship and keep it on course.    I truly believe that. Thank you Trey!! You are a Razorback hero and Icon for all time. I look forward to watching your future success in the NFL. I have zero doubt what so ever that great things are coming your way. No player in my thirty years of following the Razorbacks deserves it more in my opinion. Sorry for the long post guys. I've been wanting to get that off my chest. Trey is the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!

josh_sec33

Can someone post the quote from the article?

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Steef

Quote from: New Mexico Hog on December 11, 2014, 01:36:59 am
I have developed a new alternative perspective for evaluating Razorback football this season. I will probably always use the win-loss system because as a fan you want to win every game. This season I started evaluating based on heart, determination, and the ability to go forward in the face of adversity. From this new alternative perspective I have come to the conclusion that this years team is my all time favorite. Trey Flowers with his leadership this season might turn out to be the single most important player in the history of Razorback football. If we turn out to be a contenders a year or two from now, well none of that would be possible without Trey being here this year to steady the ship and keep it on course.    I truly believe that. Thank you Trey!! You are a Razorback hero and Icon for all time. I look forward to watching your future success in the NFL. I have zero doubt what so ever that great things are coming your way. No player in my thirty years of following the Razorbacks deserves it more in my opinion. Sorry for the long post guys. I've been wanting to get that off my chest. Trey is the Man!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

Westcoasthog

Thank you Trey Flowers for staying at Arkansas your senior year.

lookawayquick

Trey Flowers & Matrell Spaight.......heart & soul of 2014 Hog football.  We will never forget the sacrifice you made and the risk that you took to help move this program forward.  All the best to the both of you as you move on to the next phase of life.  But before you leave us, beat Texas!  WPS!!

rusvegashog

The risk a player takes coming back for another year can far out way the positives sometimes. So happy for Trey that it has been the other way around. His name, image and future is golden. Thanks cat and good luck. Couldn't be happier for ya. WPS!!!

Misty Mountain Hog

Great post!  Thanks Trey for the sacrifice, each and every year, but especially this one. You will always be remembered as one of my favorite Hogs!

jbcarol

Trey Flowers @III_Flowers

QuoteTo the fans, coaches, my teammates, the whole razorback nation..THANK YOU, for an unbelievable 4 years.

11:33 PM - 29 Dec 2014
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

porkinsons disease

Class act. He was a beast last night, as usual. Immensely talented and gives it his all every play.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

snoblind

Not sure how many of you are aware that Fort Smith Quarterback club gives the Chism Reed award every year to the outstanding senior leader.  Trey should win going away.  I'm proud of and happy for all our seniors, but he personifies what the award is about.

pigture perfect

I was privileged to be at the press conference and see Trey in person. He was and is a perfect example of what we need representing the University of Arkansas. I would hope that after his NFL career is over that he be hired in the Athletic department in some capacity. I left more empressed with his character than with his ability.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

ICEman

"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

RyanLR

If Trey doesn't get picked in the first round it'll be a travesty.

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Steef

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  1 hour ago
Trey Flowers believes decision to return to Arkansas will pay off this year | http://AL.com  http://ow.ly/HJ7Fd

QuoteFlowers said all the credit for the Arkansas defense's transformation from a liability to a strength goes to defensive coordinator Robb Smith.

"He talks about attitude and being a championship defense. He just brought that the locker room, every day preaching that right before the meetings," Flowers said. "The scheme that coach Smith runs, if all the guys buy in, that's what makes a difference. You can look at me, Martrell (Spaight) and (Darius) Philon and say those are great players, but we were using a pretty good scheme and that allowed us to be great."

"It was real good," he added of leaving college with a bowl win. "I actually train with a couple of guys from Texas, so (it's good) just being able to stick my chest out a little bit and have that smile on my face that we handled our business. That was a deep rivalry between Arkansas and Texas, so to be able to get that for our fans and for Razorback Nation was big."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

FATHAWG08

Wow, very powerful message. Trey Flowers you are a Made Man in Arkansas. There is only one Program in this state. You put this University before your immediate gains. For that you will be taken care by the people of Arkansas for the rest of your life. Doors will open up for you for so many successful opportunities. You stand for what the people of Arkansas will support forever. Thank You for being a Hog we will always remember!
I love off season Football!!

PigTales

January 22, 2015, 01:25:02 am #95 Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 01:35:23 am by PigTales
I have a GREAT Trey Flowers story. After the Red White game his freshman year I believe (CBB was are coach)  or it might have been fan day. Anyway My son and I drove down from Springfield, Mo and after the event we hung around campus for awhile then on our way home we stopped at PF Chang's in Rogers. We always eat in the bar area. As we were finishing our meal two buses pulled up. it was the Razorback football team. The restaurant area had been closed for the team. I opened my fortune cookie and knew I wanted to give it to one of the players. Before we left my son and I went into the area where the players were. Setting in a booth were 4 VERY LARGE MEN. They looked like sardines packed in a can. I went up to one of the players and asked "what is your name and where are you from"? He said "I'm Trey Flowers from Alabama". I was shocked and said "Why aren't you playing for Bama"? He smiled and said they didn't recruit me". I said "BIG MISTAKE!!!! I want to give you the fortune from my cookie"; it said "Perseverance and Endurance will WIN THE DAY". Trey and I FOLOW each other on twitter, I asked him if he remembered that day. He said "Yes, I still have the fortune" 

Trey Flowers is no doubt my favorite Razorback of all time (with DJ Williams being a very close 2nd). I'm also an ole timer have been going to Hog games since 1963.  The 2014 Razorback team is my favorite team of all time. My son and I drove to Houston and were over joyed to watch our beloved Hogs beat the horns off TEXAS!!

OT thank you for your amazing post. I too agree with this message! WPS our future is bright largely in part due to players like Trey who bought into what his 3rd Head Coach and 3rd DC (I believe) were teaching. Can't wait to watch him do BIG THINGS in the NLF then return "Home" to once again be a leader of our program. 

hawgmasta

Quote from: PigTales on January 22, 2015, 01:25:02 am
I have a GREAT Trey Flowers story. After the Red White game his freshman year I believe (CBB was are coach)  or it might have been fan day. Anyway My son and I drove down from Springfield, Mo and after the event we hung around campus for awhile then on our way home we stopped at PF Chang's in Rogers. We always eat in the bar area. As we were finishing our meal two buses pulled up. it was the Razorback football team. The restaurant area had been closed for the team. I opened my fortune cookie and knew I wanted to give it to one of the players. Before we left my son and I went into the area where the players were. Setting in a booth were 4 VERY LARGE MEN. They looked like sardines packed in a can. I went up to one of the players and asked "what is your name and where are you from"? He said "I'm Trey Flowers from Alabama". I was shocked and said "Why aren't you playing for Bama"? He smiled and said they didn't recruit me". I said "BIG MISTAKE!!!! I want to give you the fortune from my cookie"; it said "Perseverance and Endurance will WIN THE DAY". Trey and I FOLOW each other on twitter, I asked him if he remembered that day. He said "Yes, I still have the fortune" 

Trey Flowers is no doubt my favorite Razorback of all time (with DJ Williams being a very close 2nd). I'm also an ole timer have been going to Hog games since 1963.  The 2014 Razorback team is my favorite team of all time. My son and I drove to Houston and were over joyed to watch our beloved Hogs beat the horns off TEXAS!!

OT thank you for your amazing post. I too agree with this message! WPS our future is bright largely in part due to players like Trey who bought into what his 3rd Head Coach and 3rd DC (I believe) were teaching. Can't wait to watch him do BIG THINGS in the NLF then return "Home" to once again be a leader of our program.

Wow! What an incredible story. It only adds to the legend of Trey Flowers; a hog for life. I hope he plays 15 years in the NFL and comes back here to mentor and recruit for us!

Steef

Great story, PigTales. Thanks for sharing.

Trey is a treasure for us.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SamBuckhart

Thank you, Trey Flowers. WPS!!!  Look forward to watching you on Sundays.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!