Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mack Brown to possibly retire?

Started by Billy Bayou, December 01, 2011, 02:58:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominicanhog

I suggested on this site a year ago, to much ridicule, that he wouldn't last more than a year, Texas gave him an extra year because of his past performance, but now the time has come for him to "retire."  You can bet had he gone 10-2 he would not be retiring.  The POB have had enough. I would not be surprised if Saban goes, they will pay what is necessary to restore Texas to top shelf and they don't care about buyouts, heritage, history, big names, conference affiliation or anything else. Money talks.

1CavHog

Texas is the best job in college football. I hope CBP is not on their short list.

Hawgon

Well, he probably could have named his price at Florida, USC, and possibly Michigan in the last few years.  None of those programs are too far back, if any, to Texas and his response was to ask the AD to increase his buyout to $18 million so that it would squelch ALL RUMORS of him wanting to leave and discourage ALL suitors.  So, I'm fairly confident.

Yeah, Texas could pay the buyout if it wanted, but since BP proposed the buyout and it is insanely high, I think the buyout is more indicative of his desire to stay at Arkansas no matter what than it is of a an actual price someone could pay to get him.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 01, 2011, 05:34:45 pm
Well, he probably could have named his price at Florida, USC, and possibly Michigan in the last few years.  None of those programs are too far back, if any, to Texas and his response was to ask the AD to increase his buyout to $18 million so that it would squelch ALL RUMORS of him wanting to leave and discourage ALL suitors.  So, I'm fairly confident.

Yeah, Texas could pay the buyout if it wanted, but since BP proposed the buyout and it is insanely high, I think the buyout is more indicative of his desire to stay at Arkansas no matter what than it is of a an actual price someone could pay to get him.
imo CBP proposed the buyout to show recruits and media he was not the carpetbagger many had portrayed.... 6,7,8 million dollars pyr would be hard to turndown, though I think he would, but I would not, if in that position.  My point is Texas will pay what is necessary to get as close to a guarantee as they can.

GoBucks

If Texas wanted him Texas could have him.  Period.  That isnt a knock on Petrino or certainly on Arkansas.  Be hard pressed to find any coach in the country who wouldnt take that job.

Dominicanhog

Florida, USC, and possibly Michigan in the last few years.  None of those programs are too far back, if any, to Texas
one other thing that I wanted to comment on Hawgon, I don't think their reputation is any less than Texas but the resources, ease of recruiting, competition and talent in the state, make Texas the best job in America for a good coach.

bplease

Bad for the rest of football. Mack is the most underachieving coach in the history of any football.

Minus HDN with DMC,Felix,& Hillis of course
Quote from: Feralhog on April 09, 2012, 07:30:33 pm
Didn't respond to the poll.  If a football coach is responsible for teaching my son morality, I'm not much of a Father.

Torqued pork

Saban to Texas would make Sooner nation pee their pants including Stoops. It needs to happen.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on December 01, 2011, 05:57:28 pm
Saban to Texas would make Sooner nation pee their pants including Stoops. It needs to happen.
What if it is Stoops to Texas, what would sooner nation do then?

kaiserhog

Quote from: 1CavHog on December 01, 2011, 05:24:46 pm
Texas is the best job in college football. I hope CBP is not on their short list.
No he isn't.  They won't want the controversy and will not pay 18 million for it.  Even the mini-controversy at LSU makes it unlikely.

Hawgon

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 01, 2011, 05:53:55 pm
one other thing that I wanted to comment on Hawgon, I don't think their reputation is any less than Texas but the resources, ease of recruiting, competition and talent in the state, make Texas the best job in America for a good coach.

Except success.  Texas in it's entire history has not had a single coach as successful as two different coaches have been at Florida within the last 20 years.  Texas isn't as good or as easy of a job as some would have it to be.

HogFan219

I think CBP knows from personal experience that there is more to happiness than money, especially when you're already making $3.5MM give or take. The UT job is one of a handful of college jobs that is awfully similar to the pressures of a NFL gig. Why voluntarily jump back into that type of a pressure cooker?

If, and that's a HUGE "if", any of this is true, I wouldn't blame him for trying to take care of his family to the fullest extent possible, but I would be mildly surprised if he left us for UT or anything similar at this time.

kaiserhog

Quote from: Hawgon on December 01, 2011, 06:48:33 pm
Except success.  Texas in it's entire history has not had a single coach as successful as two different coaches have been at Florida within the last 20 years.  Texas isn't as good or as easy of a job as some would have it to be.
Notice how difficult it is to win at these "dream" jobs.

jbcarol

He said he wasn't going to leave but if he did, I wonder if Tejas would be interested in "Mack Brown light"?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Sterling

Those who have said UT is the best job in the country are absolutely correct. Any year they aren't in a bcs bowl is an underachieving year

Murr

Mack Brown is a Legend in Texas only eclipsed by Chuck Norris; a legend of Mediocrity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :) hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I hope he stays longer than that Penn State coach and sucks twice as much!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

ThreeWayInn

According to a family member who  works for a large Microelectronics corp in Austin...whose boss is a big time Longhorn booster, if Texas had lost to A and M, Brown was gone.  He won, so he now will leave on his own because he knows they were going to get him.  This booster says Saban is first on their list and money is no object with LHN now up and runnning.  The scary part is, this same person says BP is second on the list...and the arrogance of the teasippers is they will get Saban or BP.

reddierazorback

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on December 01, 2011, 03:09:03 pm
You know this might sound crazy but I have alway thought that Miles would be a good pro coach. The problem with him going is John Chavis would become the head coach, and Chavis who has built this defense!  Saban is not going anywhere, why would he?  Btw Texass is not the big bad ass it thinks she is!  Their tradition is great but she is not Bama!

Bama had not been Bama for a while before Saban got there. 
Go HOGS!

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: ur on December 01, 2011, 04:07:01 pm
I would rather play saban and texas for the nc every year than saban and bama for the sec west championship every year. Go saban. Make this a two horse division.

Bama would get someone good to replace Saban.  It would be business as usual in the SECW.

GoBucks

Quote from: reddierazorback on December 01, 2011, 07:59:06 pm
Bama had not been Bama for a while before Saban got there.

Very true.  If I had to give an objective list of best CFB jobs, based on variety of factors ($, resources, recruiting, history, etc) there is no doubt that Texas is #1 and Bama would probably be closer to #10.  Saban totally resurrected that program into a powerhouse.  Still be damn good if he left, but would not stay at same level. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: GoBucks on December 01, 2011, 08:03:34 pm
Very true.  If I had to give an objective list of best CFB jobs, based on variety of factors ($, resources, recruiting, history, etc) there is no doubt that Texas is #1 and Bama would probably be closer to #10.  Saban totally resurrected that program into a powerhouse.  Still be damn good if he left, but would not stay at same level. 

I'd say USC #2.

Quote from: ThreeWayInn on December 01, 2011, 07:33:59 pm
According to a family member who  works for a large Microelectronics corp in Austin...whose boss is a big time Longhorn booster, if Texas had lost to A and M, Brown was gone.  He won, so he now will leave on his own because he knows they were going to get him.  This booster says Saban is first on their list and money is no object with LHN now up and runnning.  The scary part is, this same person says BP is second on the list...and the arrogance of the teasippers is they will get Saban or BP.

No doubt BP would be on the short list, but they'll get Saban if they want him.  Saban is on track to win a 2nd NC at Bama and already has a statue there, so time to move on to easier pastures and win some more NC's for an unprecedented 3rd program while maybe making an 8-figure annual salary. 

It fits Saban's SOP to a tee.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

GoBucks

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 01, 2011, 08:12:34 pm
I'd say USC #2.

No doubt BP would be on the short list, but they'll get Saban if they want him.  Saban is on track to win a 2nd NC at Bama and already has a statue there, so time to move on to easier pastures and win some more NC's for an unprecedented 3rd program while maybe making an 8-figure annual salary. 

It fits Saban's SOP to a tee.

Agree on all.   

PonderinHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 01, 2011, 08:12:34 pm
I'd say USC #2.

No doubt BP would be on the short list, but they'll get Saban if they want him.  Saban is on track to win a 2nd NC at Bama and already has a statue there, so time to move on to easier pastures and win some more NC's for an unprecedented 3rd program while maybe making an 8-figure annual salary.  It fits Saban's SOP to a tee.
Nice little nest egg builder-upper.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

IF this happens, keep in mind the Longwhorn coach must be a back-slapping, networking, glad-handing good ol' boy politician. Like Mack Brown or DKR.

Can anyone picture Petrino playing that suck-up-to-the-media-and-boosters-game? Won't happen.
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

ThreeWayInn

Can't imagine Saban being that coach either any more than BP.  BP would win a national championship in Texas and he would win it quickly with very little competition to get there.  Saban is winning his anyway.  My opinion, BP is the better coach given the same players.

Smokehouse

Quote from: RAZORBACKER60 on December 01, 2011, 03:09:03 pm
You know this might sound crazy but I have alway thought that Miles would be a good pro coach. The problem with him going is John Chavis would become the head coach, and Chavis who has built this defense!  Saban is not going anywhere, why would he?  Btw Texass is not the big bad ass it thinks she is!  Their tradition is great but she is not Bama!

I can't see Miles as a pro coach at all. Much harder to get those guys to play for you than college kids - can you imagine what they would do if he started eating grass in front of them?

I'm guessing the media scrutiny on all of his 4th down gambles would get ratcheted up significantly as well.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

One thing no one is mentioning here.  The Adminstration at Texas gets involved in the football program more than usual.  When Royal retired he wasn't allowed to pick his replacement or have very much input.  My memory was he wanted his DC to be moved up and the Admin refused and picked someone else.  I can't even remember who replaced Royal except it wasn't someone Royal wanted.  The Football coach at Texas does not have the influence one might believe.  Broyles and Royal were good friends.  Broyles was the talk of Arkansas,  Royal wasn't even the talk of Austin.

If Saban left Bama for Texas, the Big whatever would all be behind the 8 ball.  That D that OU and OSU offers up would show up just as porus as ours does.
And Bama would miss Saban too.  There aren't any Sabans out there right now.   Bama does not have a great record picking coaches.  The Saban choice followed several not quite up to par choices.  Can you imagine those B12 teams trying to dial something up against a Saban defense. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: 12247 on December 01, 2011, 08:50:34 pm
One thing no one is mentioning here.  The Adminstration at Texas gets involved in the football program more than usual.  When Royal retired he wasn't allowed to pick his replacement or have very much input.  My memory was he wanted his DC to be moved up and the Admin refused and picked someone else.  I can't even remember who replaced Royal except it wasn't someone Royal wanted.   The Football coach at Texas does not have the influence one might believe.  Broyles and Royal were good friends.  Broyles was the talk of Arkansas,  Royal wasn't even the talk of Austin.
Fred Akers, U of A grad.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 12247 on December 01, 2011, 08:50:34 pm
One thing no one is mentioning here.  The Adminstration at Texas gets involved in the football program more than usual.  When Royal retired he wasn't allowed to pick his replacement or have very much input.  My memory was he wanted his DC to be moved up and the Admin refused and picked someone else.  I can't even remember who replaced Royal except it wasn't someone Royal wanted.  The Football coach at Texas does not have the influence one might believe.  Broyles and Royal were good friends.  Broyles was the talk of Arkansas,  Royal wasn't even the talk of Austin.

I tried to make a similar point when the Saban rumor surfaced.  While I found it smart of the Texicans to covet Saban, I found it very odd that those egomaniac, rich, good'ol boy Texicans could co-exist with a personality as powerful as Saban's.  Brown has survived so long because he knows how to play politics and plays ball with the big money boosters, likely strokes their egos, and doesnt flinch at all when administration or boosters interfer.  By all accounts, Brown fit right into the culture in Austin, and the big money adored him...until lately. 

Saban is the exact opposite.  He doesn't play games or stroke egos.  He wants everybody to get out of his way, so he can run the program on his terms.  He has zero interest in being a buddy and even less interest, or tolerance, with any administration or booster interference.  That's all fine and dandy in Tuscaloosa where those crazies would sell their sisters into slavery for a championship.  But would his style work in Austin?  Would the big boy Texicans check their egos at the door, and sit back and just let Saban run the show as he sees fit?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The Boar War

December 01, 2011, 09:22:41 pm #80 Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 09:24:26 pm by The Boar War
Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on December 01, 2011, 08:33:50 pm
IF this happens, keep in mind the Longwhorn coach must be a back-slapping, networking, glad-handing good ol' boy politician. Like Mack Brown or DKR.

Can anyone picture Petrino playing that suck-up-to-the-media-and-boosters-game? Won't happen.

I could see Pete Carroll taking this job when it opens.

johnny cash

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on December 01, 2011, 04:39:27 pm
It's a real bitch when your good quarterback graduates. Ask Urban Meyer.
[/quote correct

Gonzo

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 01, 2011, 08:02:19 pm
Bama would get someone good to replace Saban.  It would be business as usual in the SECW.

Kinda like it was during the 25 years between the Bear and Saban? Bryant won 82% of his games, Saban has won 77%. The 7 guys in between won 62%. No matter how great the advantages, it DOES matter who the coach is. See Bama, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Ohio St, Nebraska, OU, and, yes, texass. While it would likely help the Hogs if Saban left the SEC, I hate the whorns plenty to not want to see them get a coach of that caliber......or of BP's.

Go Hogs!!

The Fort

As far as the Petrino linked to a possible/alleged TX HC opening

all yall have one thing in common...none of you know petrino's thoughts on TX

TX is way off base.  IMO, with his recruiting ties/history in FL...that was the ONE job that I thought he would leave AR for if it ever came open

(obs: Petrino agreed in principle to the largest buyout in CFB history right before FL hired Muschamp because of rumors of him to FL)

razorjack12

arkansasbred

judgeroyswine

Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Pig In The City

Apparently he has already sent out letters to player's families that the retirement rumors are false. 

lechon

If Baylor beats Texass Mack won't retire, he will get fired....
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Sir Winston Churchill                                                                                  
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true. -  Sir Winston Churchill

Pa-Paw

Quote from: razor9 on December 03, 2011, 03:51:57 am
If Baylor beats Texass Mack won't retire, he will get fired....
Though wins are important down there Mack Brown is still the best recruiter around, puts 100,000+ butts in the seats, and brings in boat loads of money. He will be gone only if he falls off on the butts and money.

Steef

Is it still called retirement if you have boot prints on your butt?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Pa-Paw on December 01, 2011, 03:04:07 pm
I would seriously doubt an unnamed source. However, there would be a huge shake-up in the coaching community it this did indeed happen.

There is a shakeup every year in college football.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 01, 2011, 03:21:44 pm
Yes, I begrudgingly admit TX and probably USC are probably the programs best positioned to be dominant year in and year out with the right coach. 

Scholarship limits somewhat offsets that premise. There is also talk of reducing football scholarships even more. Certain areas by population numbers obviously have an advantage with ease of recruiting just based on geogrpaphy. That's why schools like us and Tenner have large recruiting budgets.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on December 01, 2011, 03:59:12 pm
Not surprising, if true. The UT faithful are not pleased with these last two seasons.

All of this justs proves how extremely important it is having the right head coach AND assistant coaches.

Inhogswetrust

December 03, 2011, 07:05:16 am #94 Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:17:04 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Dropkick on December 01, 2011, 04:05:47 pm
Please be right about his interest or lack of same.

If we are always scared of losing our head coach to other schools then we will always underachieve.
I WANT other schools to want to hire our coach away from us. THAT means we are being successful.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: El Puerco on December 01, 2011, 04:43:45 pm
Saban is worth 10 million a year.  Do you think Alabama wants a refund on the 5 or so they're giving him now?
Imagine Texas with a coach who knows what he's doing.  A coach that knows exactly who he wants to recruit.

NOBODY is worth 10 million a year in ANY job.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Dominicanhog on December 01, 2011, 05:46:53 pm
imo CBP proposed the buyout to show recruits and media he was not the carpetbagger many had portrayed.... 6,7,8 million dollars pyr would be hard to turndown, though I think he would, but I would not, if in that position.  My point is Texas will pay what is necessary to get as close to a guarantee as they can.

There is NO such thing as a guarantee or even close to it in college sports. There are WAY too many variables involved.

Roadrunner

Quote from: Gonzo on December 01, 2011, 09:59:46 pm
Kinda like it was during the 25 years between the Bear and Saban? Bryant won 82% of his games, Saban has won 77%. The 7 guys in between won 62%. No matter how great the advantages, it DOES matter who the coach is. See Bama, Michigan, Notre Dame, USC, Ohio St, Nebraska, OU, and, yes, texass. While it would likely help the Hogs if Saban left the SEC, I hate the whorns plenty to not want to see them get a coach of that caliber......or of BP's.

Go Hogs!!

And bryant and saban have the same modus operandi.
Buying players.
Employing relatives in jobs with high salaries.
Giving girlfriends & siblings 'scholarships'.
Buying new cars.
And coming up with neat schemes for them to make money, like selling their autographs.
just to name a few

another unique tidbit, both bryant and saban had/have friends in high places at the ncaa

on texass, we'll see today if the retirement rumors are true
of course everyone in this state is complete denial that anyone could ever afford saban lol
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.