Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME THREAD: #1 ARKANSAS (43-18) vs #4 ORAL ROBERTS (43-15)

Started by Razorbacks#1, June 04, 2017, 10:22:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorbacks#1

#1 Arkansas vs #4 Oral Roberts  at Fayetteville, Arkansas
                                    Sunday @3PM Central

WELCOME TO RAZORBACK BASEBALL 2017 - HOGVILLE.net OFFICIAL
                                    ROAD TO OMAHA GAME THREAD

#1 ARKANSAS (43-18) VS #4 ORU (43-15)

First Pitch is set for 3 PM CT and WILL BE TELEVISED ON THE SEC NETWORK. This game will be streamed live online on WatchESPN.com and the WatchESPN app. also.

THIS IS A DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT

Play-by-Play Narrative:
For many years, Hogville members who love Razorback Baseball have come together to produce these game threads with play-by-play narrative for those that depend on it as their only source and for those that just simply enjoy it. These threads have been a foundation for great Hogville discussions and that tradition continues today as this is NOT a read only thread (all Hogville posting rules apply).

Someone will provide the play-by-play narrative for this game.  Razorbacks#1, A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S, Maddhog,  Wisco Pig, sir-pigs-a-lot, JHGiunta, ucahogfan, will assist with stats, back up, and support. We hope that the many other regular posters will join in also and continue to add quality input. If you are new to the Extra Innings - Razorback Baseball Game Threads and you understand the rules, feel free to join in the conversations. If you have questions, read this:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626632.0

Click below for: The Fight Song:
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__Arkansas_Fight_Song__(Play,_Sing,_Play).mp3

Click below for: University Of Arkansas Alma Mater 
http://fightmusic.com/mp3/sec/Arkansas__University_Of_Arkansas_Alma_Mater.mp3

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

:razorback:

0          3:00pm                  0                   
                1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | -  |  R |  H  | E  |LOB
ORU         |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   
ARK         |    |    |    |    |    |    |    |    | -  |  0  |  0  | 0  | 0   

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

THUNDER!

ricepig

HogsonHicks

Pudgepork

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: HogsonHicks on June 04, 2017, 10:32:40 am
What time do we play Mo St after we win this one? 

Missouri State vs. Winner of Arkansas-Oral Roberts | 8 p.m.

THUNDER!

Hogs run wild

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on June 04, 2017, 10:48:15 am
Missouri State vs. Winner of Arkansas-Oral Roberts | 8 p.m.
would we have to beat them twice or just once to advace?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

ricepig

Hogwild

Do they flip a coin to determine home team? 

The last time we played them we were the home team, but last night we were the road team.

ricepig

Quote from: Hogwild on June 04, 2017, 11:41:54 am
Do they flip a coin to determine home team? 

The last time we played them we were the home team, but last night we were the road team.

After the first round, it's a flip of the coin.

fieldturf

Looks like rain today, so it will be Monday before there's any baseball....

jry04

Quote from: fieldturf on June 04, 2017, 11:44:12 am
According to the hourly it will be tonight before the rain actually moves in. The radar looks like it will move in much sooner. Very good chance we can get the first game in at some point. Then the winner will just play a DH tomorrow.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: jry04 on June 04, 2017, 11:57:00 am
According to the hourly it will be tonight before the rain actually moves in. The radar looks like it will move in much sooner. Very good chance we can get the first game in at some point. Then the winner will just play a DH tomorrow.
I think that would be in our favor.

jry04

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on June 04, 2017, 12:05:08 pm
I think that would be in our favor.
I don't. It will give Missouri State an extra day of rest. Tonight they will be limited on who they have out of their bullpen as far as quality arms go. There is zero chance their stud Fromson could go 3 days in a row with as many pitches as he has thrown, but if you give them an extra day of rest he could throw tomorrow in game 1. I like our chances of beating Missouri State tonight if we get past ORU. Always hard to sweep a DH, and we would have to play a DH tomorrow. At this point, the only thing we have in favor is the fans in the seats. We are struggling at the plate, lack pitching depth, and have to face ORU's Friday starter with their bats hot from yesterday. There isn't a run rule after 7 that can save our pitching like it did in Hoover. We are going to have to start swinging the bats and have a few big time games at the plate like we are capable of if we plan on winning this regional. We have to hit ourselves out of here.

Last night was inexcusable. Their starter was not good. At one point he had thrown 50 strikes and 40 balls and we had swung at probably 8 balls in the dirt so really he had thrown more pitches out of the zone than in the zone. Spanberger went to his knees on 1 or 2 pitches against that guy that bounced in front of the plate. Cole had a full count and the guy threw a fastball that bounced off the plate and cole swung at it. He was fooling our guys on stuff that shouldn't really fool them if they are locked in. His stuff was average, and he was wild all night. He was at 70 pitches through 3 innings, and probably 50 of them were outside of the strike zone, we just weren't seeing it well. He started almost every batter off with a fastball down the middle that we took.

MSUDuo

Quote from: fieldturf on June 04, 2017, 11:44:12 am

Not sure why these games aren't being moved up looking at the forecast. That a NCAA thing or an Arkansas thing, or both?

--EDIT--

Looking again, it may not matter...

Hogsmo Kramer

The fact we kept taking first pitch fast balls down the pipe after he kept doing it over and over was driving me freaking nuts.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

hoglady

Bats need to find some life - they've been pretty dead since this Regional started.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: jry04 on June 04, 2017, 12:13:10 pm
I don't. It will give Missouri State an extra day of rest. Tonight they will be limited on who they have out of their bullpen as far as quality arms go. There is zero chance their stud Fromson could go 3 days in a row with as many pitches as he has thrown, but if you give them an extra day of rest he could throw tomorrow in game 1. I like our chances of beating Missouri State tonight if we get past ORU. Always hard to sweep a DH, and we would have to play a DH tomorrow. At this point, the only thing we have in favor is the fans in the seats. We are struggling at the plate, lack pitching depth, and have to face ORU's Friday starter with their bats hot from yesterday. There isn't a run rule after 7 that can save our pitching like it did in Hoover. We are going to have to start swinging the bats and have a few big time games at the plate like we are capable of if we plan on winning this regional. We have to hit ourselves out of here.

Last night was inexcusable. Their starter was not good. At one point he had thrown 50 strikes and 40 balls and we had swung at probably 8 balls in the dirt so really he had thrown more pitches out of the zone than in the zone. Spanberger went to his knees on 1 or 2 pitches against that guy that bounced in front of the plate. Cole had a full count and the guy threw a fastball that bounced off the plate and cole swung at it. He was fooling our guys on stuff that shouldn't really fool them if they are locked in. His stuff was average, and he was wild all night. He was at 70 pitches through 3 innings, and probably 50 of them were outside of the strike zone, we just weren't seeing it well. He started almost every batter off with a fastball down the middle that we took.
Fans lol. We go through the toughest conference tournament in the country and give up 10 runs in 5 games and we lack pitching depth. Those 7 inning games didn't save our pitching. We won 16-0 and 12-0. We could've ran kosty or Loeske out there with leads like that. I just don't get the negative attitudes. Bats will wake up.

seasonhog

You are right....we were getting ourselves out....I think most on this team are looking to hit it out each bat....Koch is not close to a pitch, need to be way down in the lineup.....like what I said before last night....Biggers need to bat in front of Span....first or second.....I think we would have won last night.

hog.goblin

Quote from: HogsonHicks on June 04, 2017, 10:32:40 am
What time do we play Mo St after we win this one? 

We need more of this attitude.

Time to win 3 in a row.  Screw the odds.

jry04

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on June 04, 2017, 12:41:32 pm
Fans lol. We go through the toughest conference tournament in the country and give up 10 runs in 5 games and we lack pitching depth. Those 7 inning games didn't save our pitching. We won 16-0 and 12-0. We could've ran kosty or Loeske out there with leads like that. I just don't get the negative attitudes. Back to my point, I consider our pitching to be stronger than Mo St. therefore the more time we have the better off we are. Bats will wake up. Bring on red goatee.
First off, your condescending "fans lol" comment isn't needed. I have been to literally every home game this year, and have been a season ticket holder for a long time. I am well aware of who we have in our pen. You do realize we had 2 games shortened due to 7 inning games in Hoover, right? That won't happen here because there is no mercy rule. We have to pitch a full 9. Also, we lost 2 games in Hoover in 5 games. That was a great performance, but losing 2 in 5 games here gets you eliminated. You don't think we lack pitching depth when you consider we have to play 3 more games now? Murphy could throw a gem today and we will still need to use someone out of the pen. Right now we have to throw Murphy, Kopps, and probably Taco or Alberius as starters to win this regional. That leaves us with Reindl, Cronin, Lee, Taco/Alberius (whoever doesn't start), and Chadwick as relievers spread out among 3 games. We don't lack pitching depth relative to a 3 game series, but we most certainly do coming out of the loser's bracket having to play 5 games in 4 days against 2 offenses who have 60-70 HRs and each bat over .280 as a team. This scenario is the exact reason why most said they feared regionals more than supers. There is a reason they keep repeating that stat that something like less than 10% of the teams who fail to go 2-0 don't win the regional. It isn't a knock on our pitching, because 95% of the teams in college baseball lack the pitching depth to come out of a loser's bracket.

WilsonHog

The field has been tarped. Gotta hope this stuff moves through quickly.

Pudgepork

Play on top of the tarps.   The field would be in pristine condition for the 2nd game. 

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: jry04 on June 04, 2017, 01:00:41 pm
First off, your condescending "fans lol" comment isn't needed. I have been to literally every home game this year, and have been a season ticket holder for a long time. I am well aware of who we have in our pen. You do realize we had 2 games shortened due to 7 inning games, right? That won't happen here because there is no mercy rule. We have to pitch a full 9. Also, we lost 2 games in Hoover in 5 games. That was a great performance, but losing 2 in 5 games here gets you eliminated. You don't think we lack pitching depth when you consider we have to play 3 more games now? Murphy could throw a gem today and we will still need to use someone out of the pen. Right now we have to throw Murphy, Kopps, and probably Taco or Alberius as starters to win this regional. That leaves us with Reindl, Cronin, Lee, Taco/Alberius (whoever doesn't start), and Chadwick as relievers spread out among 3 games. We don't lack pitching depth relative to a 3 game series, but we most certainly do coming out of the loser's bracket having to play 5 games in 4 days against 2 offenses who have 60-70 HRs and each bat over .280 as a team. This scenario is the exact reason why most said they feared regionals more than supers.
We went through 5 games last week against much better overall competition and our pitching held up. We threw Johnny Wholestaff against LSU and had a chance in the 9th. I addressed the run rule comments in my previous post. I stand by this team and I think we have the pieces to fight until the bitter end. If you enjoy nothing but having a negative attitude....have a great day.

jry04

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on June 04, 2017, 01:12:30 pm
We went through 5 games last week against much better overall competition and our pitching held up. We threw Johnny Wholestaff against LSU and had a chance in the 9th. I addressed the run rule comments in my previous post. I stand by this team and I think we have the pieces to fight until the bitter end. If you enjoy nothing but having a negative attitude....have a great day.
How is speaking the truth having a negative attitude? Check my post history, I am far from negative. Where did I say we cannot win or won't win? This is going to be tough to come back from, not impossible, but difficult. There is a reason so few do it. I said if we are going to win this regional we are going to have to hit out of it, because the likelihood of us throwing 27 more innings of low scoring ball is pretty slim. Also, Kostyshock isn't on the travel roster, so no we couldn't have rolled him out there. There is a reason we were recycling pitchers and throwing guys 3 times in that tournament despite large leads, because those were the guys eligible to pitch.

WilsonHog

If we're going to win this regional, it'll be because over the next three games we averaged 7 or 8-plus runs per game. Not likely to be any 3-1 or 4-2 wins moving forward.

Knot2brite

The key to winning this regional is this game with ORU. Murphy has to be able to give us six and maybe seven innings of work for it to happen. I don't know who is going to throw the next game if we win but we have to ride Murphy as far as we can in the first game. Lee could be a dark horse as well. Rogers is going to have to put in some work somewhere as well. Stephan and knight are done. There is very little if anything to get from them. These guys are not Charlie Boyce...he knew he wasn't going pro...these two are. To be honest...it looks bleak but sometimes that is where you find that kid that has it in him but hasn't shown it until now. Our bats will decide who wins this regional. We will literally have to score big runs in order to win this regional. Not disparaging our pitchers but we may see some church league softball scores in the next games. Best part about that...we have shown the ability to score like that in the past...we just have to do it
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: jry04 on June 04, 2017, 01:22:06 pm
How is speaking the truth having a negative attitude? Check my post history, I am far from negative. Where did I say we cannot win or won't win? This is going to be tough to come back from, not impossible, but difficult. There is a reason so few do it. I said if we are going to win this regional we are going to have to hit out of it, because the likelihood of us throwing 27 more innings of low scoring ball is pretty slim. Also, Kostyshock isn't on the travel roster, so no we couldn't have rolled him out there. There is a reason we were recycling pitchers and throwing guys 3 times in that tournament despite large leads, because those were the guys eligible to pitch.
Bottom line pitching held up last week, it can happen this week. Against much better teams loaded with pro prospects. Whether you choose to admit that or not that's on you. Is it going to be easy? No, but we are more than capable and have the pieces. I envision starting Murphy then whoever, if we don't play two today Taco then whoever, and all hands on deck for the last one. Just like LSU. Of course we need some run support but we're not gonna roll over and die. Regardless of what the numbers say I think this team can get it done.

jry04

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on June 04, 2017, 01:37:59 pm
Bottom line pitching held up last week, it can happen this week. Against much better teams loaded with pro prospects. Whether you choose to admit that or not that's on you. Is it going to be easy? No, but we are more than capable and have the pieces. I envision starting Murphy then whoever, if we don't play two today Taco then whoever, and all hands on deck for the last one. Just like LSU. Of course we need some run support but we're not gonna roll over and die. Regardless of what the numbers say I think this team can get it done.
Well, let me know where I said we cannot get it done. You taking offense to me saying it is going to be difficult to come out of the loser's bracket because of pitching is really odd. It is literally what every coach says entering a regional. "You want to start 0-2 so you don't have to test your pitching depth, etc..."

Also, to be fair, Missouri State is going to have a higher position player drafted than anyone we faced in the SEC Tournament more than likely. You could argue top to bottom, Missouri State's lineup and bullpen is better than Auburn and Mississippi State's. Eierman and Burger are two of the best hitters in the country.

You can have the last word on this. I think we can do it, but it won't be as easy as you make it sound. I was responding to the guy who said a delay favors us. All I was saying is nothing is in our favor at this point. We have to win 3, and MSU has to win 1.

bulldog04

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 04, 2017, 01:31:29 pm
If we're going to win this regional, it'll be because over the next three games we averaged 7 or 8-plus runs per game. Not likely to be any 3-1 or 4-2 wins moving forward.
This is the key IMO.  We need to score 10+ this first game and get out to a big lead so we don't have use our best arms.  Also Koch needs sit or DH one of the games today.  I know he's struggling but he can come out of it and carry a team like he has before. 

jry04

Quote from: WilsonHog on June 04, 2017, 01:31:29 pm

Quote from: Knot2brite on June 04, 2017, 01:31:36 pm
The key to winning this regional is this game with ORU. Murphy has to be able to give us six and maybe seven innings of work for it to happen. I don't know who is going to throw the next game if we win but we have to ride Murphy as far as we can in the first game. Lee could be a dark horse as well. Rogers is going to have to put in some work somewhere as well. Stephan and knight are done. There is very little if anything to get from them. These guys are not Charlie Boyce...he knew he wasn't going pro...these two are. To be honest...it looks bleak but sometimes that is where you find that kid that has it in him but hasn't shown it until now. Our bats will decide who wins this regional. We will literally have to score big runs in order to win this regional. Not disparaging our pitchers but we may see some church league softball scores in the next games. Best part about that...we have shown the ability to score like that in the past...we just have to do it

Quote from: bulldog04 on June 04, 2017, 01:50:34 pm
This is the key IMO.  We need to score 10+ this first game and get out to a big lead so we don't have use our best arms.  Also Koch needs sit or DH one of the games today.  I know he's struggling but he can come out of it and carry a team like he has before. 
Don't say that, our pitching depth is just fine according to some and no cause for concern.

onebadrubi

My idea on pitching

Obviously Murphy today, pray he gets us through 7 with a nice lead and go to the very end of the pen. 

Kopps or alberius next then the other for the last game.  These two games everyone is available for an our or inning in my opinion except knight and Murphy, and of course whoever started the game. 

What I don't know is how many taco threw yesterday?   He may be a no go for anything on Sunday, but either way he should be good for 50ish pitches on Monday or less.   Stephan I think could be used for up too 3 outs on Monday. 

We have a lot of bodies, do they pitch like Cronin of the regional or Cronin of the sec tourney will determine where we go, in my opinion.  Run ruling one of the two games today would be nice as well

onebadrubi

Do we even know who all made the NCAAT roster?   Do we have ability to even be flexible?  Reason I ask is who are the arms we aren't use to seeing that might have to eat some outs.

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 04, 2017, 01:53:17 pm
My idea on pitching

Obviously Murphy today, pray he gets us through 7 with a nice lead and go to the very end of the pen. 

Kopps or alberius next then the other for the last game.  These two games everyone is available for an our or inning in my opinion except knight and Murphy, and of course whoever started the game. 

What I don't know is how many taco threw yesterday?   He may be a no go for anything on Sunday, but either way he should be good for 50ish pitches on Monday or less.   Stephan I think could be used for up too 3 outs on Monday. 

We have a lot of bodies, do they pitch like Cronin of the regional or Cronin of the sec tourney will determine where we go, in my opinion.  Run ruling one of the two games today would be nice as well

No run rule in effect.

jry04

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 04, 2017, 01:53:17 pm
My idea on pitching

There isn't a mercy rule in the NCAAT, which makes it a little more difficult for us. I think we go Murphy, Kopps, and Taco unless something happens and we have to go to one of them in a situation before their start. Dave won't worry about saving Taco for a game 3 if we need him to get a ground ball in game 2, etc.

I would love to see:
Murphy for 5-6 innings, Chadwick/Lee/Alberius combine for the last 3-4 innings
Kopps for 4-5 innings, Alberius/Chadwick/Cronin/Lee combine for the last 4-5 innings.
Taco for 3-4 innings, then Reindl/Cronin/Lee/ combine for the rest of the game. I think at least 1 game we are going to need Reindl to come out and dominate for 3-4 innings like he has shown the ability to do at times. I think it is unrealistic to expect every starter to give us 5-7 innings from here on. One or two pitchers may end up having to go 3-4 innings in relief to give us a shot. Cronin, Alberius, and Reindl need to bring it these next 2 days. If any of our starters give us a start like they have on Sundays where they only last 2-3 innings, this is going to get dicey.

AlmaHog2011

Good post. We wouldn't let the guy walk us about 10 times. There bottom of the order was trying to get on we were over aggressive and it cost us the game. But, if Koch would actually get a hit once in a long while we win that game easily.

jry04

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on June 04, 2017, 02:05:08 pm

Good post. We wouldn't let the guy walk us about 10 times. There bottom of the order was trying to get on we were over aggressive and it cost us the game. But, if Koch would actually get a hit once in a long while we win that game easily.

I agree with that on Koch, but I think it is hard to blame him. I am just speculating here, but I think he is tired. He has caught more innings this year than I can remember anyone under DVH doing. Walker, McCann, Wise, and Pennell all had quality backups that we trusted behind the plate. McCann was relieved in a lot of midweek games by Wise. Wise relieved by Tucker. Tucker relieved by Koch, etc. This year Koch was catching 5 games a week at time. I think him being a sophomore in his first year of full duty is taking a toll on him. We had a lot of extended road trips this year, and a lot of games in a short period of time at points in the season. I loved the competitiveness of our schedule this year, and it clearly benefitted the RPI, but I think some of these road trips weren't really thought out at the time.

seasonhog

Quote from: jry04 on June 04, 2017, 02:01:46 pm
There isn't a mercy rule in the NCAAT, which makes it a little more difficult for us. I think we go Murphy, Kopps, and Taco unless something happens and we have to go to one of them in a situation before their start. Dave won't worry about saving Taco for a game 3 if we need him to get a ground ball in game 2, etc.

I would love to see:
Murphy for 5-6 innings, Chadwick/Lee/Alberius combine for the last 3-4 innings
Kopps for 4-5 innings, Alberius/Chadwick/Cronin/Lee combine for the last 4-5 innings.
Taco for 3-4 innings, then Reindl/Cronin/Lee/ combine for the rest of the game. I think at least 1 game we are going to need Reindl to come out and dominate for 3-4 innings like he has shown the ability to do at times. I think it is unrealistic to expect every starter to give us 5-7 innings from here on. One or two pitchers may end up having to go 3-4 innings in relief to give us a shot. Cronin, Alberius, and Reindl need to bring it these next 2 days. If any of our starters give us a start like they have on Sundays where they only last 2-3 innings, this is going to get dicey.
[/quote

Yes, everyone on deck......if we make it to Monday....we may have to use Murphy a inning or to.....I am more concerned about our bats & defense.....no walks.....go right at the batter..

trippigs

woodhog14

Quote from: MSUDuo on June 04, 2017, 12:19:04 pm
Not sure why these games aren't being moved up looking at the forecast. That a NCAA thing or an Arkansas thing, or both?

--EDIT--

Looking again, it may not matter...

It's an NCAA thing. They are in charge this weekend.

trippigs

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

jry04

Rain should be out of the area in the next hour. Field prep would probably take an hour. We probably start around 5, maybe sooner if we are lucky.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: jry04 on June 04, 2017, 02:07:44 pm
I agree with that on Koch, but I think it is hard to blame him. I am just speculating here, but I think he is tired. He has caught more innings this year than I can remember anyone under DVH doing. Walker, McCann, Wise, and Pennell all had quality backups that we trusted behind the plate. McCann was relieved in a lot of midweek games by Wise. Wise relieved by Tucker. Tucker relieved by Koch, etc. This year Koch was catching 5 games a week at time. I think him being a sophomore in his first year of full duty is taking a toll on him. We had a lot of extended road trips this year, and a lot of games in a short period of time at points in the season. I loved the competitiveness of our schedule this year, and it clearly benefitted the RPI, but I think some of these road trips weren't really thought out at the time.

I think you are right on with your assessment. Koch just seems worn out. We need him to make a difference. It's not all on him but we need him to bounce back to all SEC caliber.  I wonder if the whole team is suffering from the high from the SEC Tourney. Our at bats were not good against their starter. And no HRs? I hope they come out intense today they will have to play great. ORU will score runs and maybe a lot.

TX HOG