Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tell us about your playing days.....

Started by SPAL, May 30, 2017, 09:02:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

What position, what level, we're you know for offense, defense, pitching.....best baseball playing memory, etc.

Should be a fun and informative way to pass the time.

I was known for my defense. I had an uncanny ability to judge a ball off the bat. I played center, left, and middle IF. I LIVED to rob the other guy....I was cocky about it.

One time as a freshman in high school, I was playing left in regionals. Bases loaded, tie game, 2 outs....dude smashed one to the wall...I ran back, timed it, leaped, reached over the fence and robbed a granny....

Never could hit much. I was so susceptible to the breaking ball. Because of that, I played mostly for my high school and legion. Played against Rhett lashlee and Roby Daniel my senior year in state tourney. We finished in the semi finals. It was the best times of my life.

HogFansReunited

I played in little league, does that count? I was never good at baseball.
My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

ricepig

Quote from: HogFansReunited on May 30, 2017, 09:06:06 pm
I played in little league, does that count? I was never good at baseball.

I had one hit as 12 year old, my last year to play baseball, but I could hit a golf ball about 230 yards, which was pretty good for a 12 year old with persimmon woods.

ThisTeetsTaken

We moved around a lot when I was growing up but everywhere we went I would find out where to go for tryouts and a lot of the time ride my bike to wherever the park was by myself.  The new coaches would always ask what position I played and I would tell them pitcher.  They would say "yea ok" go take short stop or 3rd base.  Never failed, they would hit the ball to me and I would fire it to first base so hard they would look right back at me and tell me to take the mound.  All I could throw was heat and straight change but I could throw strikes all day long.  Couldn't hit a lick though. Always had bad eyesight. Played until high school and then focused my time on football and track and I still regret that. 
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

Porked Tongue

Hit 3 out of the park the second game of the season as a 14 year old.  Then only 2 more the rest of the season but one was in the league semi's.

Made legion team as a 3B but rode the pine and quit to take a summer job.  Only got 2 AB's in the first 21 games and my dad made that call.

Mr.Swine89

Played from the age of 5 through Jr college. Struggled hitting but defense and pitching was my calling card. Played 1st base and pitched in high school and legion. Then just stayed on the mound in college. Hit 87 on the gun my sophomore year.

Logan Williams hit a homer off of me in high school haha. He went to ol' piss in 06 I believe. Faced off against Matt Shoemaker on a legion team based out of the Chicago area when I was 17. We beat them 2 to 1. That's still the highlight of my personal baseball career. I think Shoemaker is pitching for the Angels now.

I now coach a high school team so I get to be around it all the time. Im living the life haha. Great thread btw!

Birminghog

I loved baseball like life itself. Was a little guy who was fast but didn't have good depth perception. In the outfield, I could get a good jump on the ball and run it down if it was hit at an angle to me, but not as so much if it was hit directly toward me. Didn't have much of an arm, so I didn't belong in the outfield anyway. Was a much better middle infielder - arm didn't have to be as good and I could get to it and get it away quickly. Couldn't pitch for crap and had NO desire to be behind the plate where other uncoordinated children were swinging a piece of wood close to my head. My favorite player in the majors? Yadier Molina, of course.

Major weakness was hitting. Many years later discovered I am right handed and left eyed, which explained why I was also a terrible shot. Finally started batting left handed as an adult playing softball and discovered I could hit with power.

We didn't have a high school team, but because I couldn't hit well, I wouldn't have made a team, anyway. Love learning from others in EI who really know their stuff.

PintailKiller

Played at Westark and then UALR (had committed to Tennessee, but my dad had a heart attack and I felt I needed to be home for my family).  TJ at the end of my Jr year ended my career.  I was a catcher.
Scouting report was: ++arm. + power, + hitter, average defense, -speed.
I remember when I was at Westark, we played a fall schedule.  We played at UA and I hit a ball of the HYPR building off Britt Shoptaw.
Also, hit a homer in the game that was Coach Crowders 700th W as a coach.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

Hatleyville454

I kind of have a baseball family, not prestigious, just a baseball family. Dad played 4 years DII, Uncles played high level JUCO and DII, Wife has played in 2 DII Super Regionals (could have went to world series but she walked in the winning run on a HPB!), father in law played D1 and got drafted (94 mph!) had a bad wreck that ended his career early though.

Myself, tried DII for one year and hung it up. Team wasn't very good and a coaching change was enough to put the fire out.

CF, fast, average arm, high bat and hand speed, but a lot of swing and miss in my stroke. Favorite year was probably senior year of HS. Hit .400+ with 9 HRs (3A classification at the time).

Hatleyville454

Quote from: PintailKiller on May 30, 2017, 09:41:39 pm
Played at Westark and then UALR (had committed to Tennessee, but my dad had a heart attack and I felt I needed to be home for my family).  TJ at the end of my Jr year ended my career.  I was a catcher.
I remember when I was at Westark, we played a fall schedule.  We played at UA and I hit a ball of the HYPR building off Britt Shoptaw.

Wow, committed to Tennessee? Impressive!

SPAL

Quote from: PintailKiller on May 30, 2017, 09:41:39 pm

Awesome

LRHawg

Southpaw, played first base through high school. Average batter on my best days but could catch just about anything thrown at me. I'm 6ft and all arms and legs. Have a 3 year old that loves the game and can already hit better than me!  ;D

TexasDad

Little League (11-12) - In going through my dad's stuff, I came across a photo of the my 11U team - the photo is more than 40 years old. The sponsor was Anthony's Carpets and Drapes and the owner Tony was the coach (he had no children - just loved baseball). He was sort of a Greek version of Walter Matthau in the original Bad News Bears. I check the web and the company was still in business? I give them a call thinking they might like to have a digital copy of the old photo. An old guy answers the phone – I'm thinking it can't possibly be Tony... I tell the guy I have a photo of a youth baseball team his company sponsored in 1974 and asked for an email address so I could send it to them. He immediately asks "Who the hell is this?" I tentatively tell him my name and he shouts into the phone "You dented my f'ing car!" and then starts to laugh. And I remember a high popup that landed on the roof of his brand new Volvo... We talked for about an hour – there's a magic to baseball, regardless of the level...

razorkev

I played Baseball from little league until legion ball at 17..I either pitched or played SS..my fastball topped low 80's..my strikeout pitch was a mean curveball. It was aimed at the batters head. I threw it as hard as i could..I had a whole bunch of batters bAIL OUT OF THE BOX..AND IT WOULD CURVE RIGHT IN FOR A STRIKE...IT WAS FUNNY TO WATCH. I never hit a batter with it ether.
In God I Trust

MissippHog

Played from the age of 6 until 14.  I don't know if it was the girls, curve balls, my dad yelling at me, or football, but I had enough and quit.  I was an average player, played mostly 3B / OF, average bat, decent arm.  Best baseball memory?  I don't know if I would say this is my best memory, but it's one my dad and I still laugh about to this day.  I was about 10 and we were leaving practice.  My dad had this ugly green hatchback at the time and as we were leaving he saw a baseball laying by the field.  So he says, as were driving along, "open the door, reach out and grab that ball."  Seemed easy enough.  So, as we got close to the ball I opened the door, reached out, and all I remember at that point is being dragged along the grass and dirt on my face.  My foot was caught under the seat somehow, and even though we probably only went about 10 feet with my arms and head dragging along the ground, it felt like we went over 100 yards. 

Now we enjoy watching my 7 year old and 12 year old play  :) 

HighcountryHog

I gave up baseball at 17 after one year of Legion ball.  I was bullied extensively because I was/am a small guy.  Bullied by my teammates, other players, coaches, and even some parents.  I never told anyone about it during that time, but now I wish that I had.

I was always the fastest guy on the team.  Played 2B and CF.  Leadoff hitter.  I was HBP a lot, especially from this one pitcher that just got frustrated because my strike zone was so small.  He also liked to bully me in school. One game, I caught a fly ball in CF and threw him out at home on a one hopper.  I followed that up with a game-winning double(unfortunately, he wasn't pitching). 

The game of baseball taught me more about life than about the sport itself.  I hope those guys are all doing well, and have kids of their own to protect from bullies.

no bumps, no fat chicks

HAWG MAFIA

Struck out 27 in an epic wiffle ball game!!!!! does that count?

Kevin

catcher, first base, second base, 5-14, called it quits to chase the dream of playing basketball.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TNhawgfan

I played CF in high school. Had a good glove, arm, and some wheels, but couldn't hit the offspeed to save my life and it really got in my head when i got to two strikes. Now i coach high school baseball and spend a lot of time working with the boys on their mental approach to hitting. I want them to learn from my mistakes
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

BigBrandonAllenFan

Played from 6 y/o to 15 y/o at Rose City Ballpark.  Almost CF always.  I wasn't very big, just average skinny, but I could chunk a ball from the outfield fences clean over the backstop. 

We had some really good players back then. Quite a few went on to college ball. Jim Fink was drafted by the Royals and declined to play pro.  Jeffrey Holt was a hustler and Dennis Whitlock was a dandy player. Den went on to QB at ASU but was perma sidelined due to injury. Another good one was Timmy Hartwick.  Heckuva lefty pitcher. In babe ruth we won two state championships with Curtis Harris Refrigeration.

ImHogginIt

Played little league thru Babe Ruth. I was a very good hitter but average first baseman on defense. I was not a power hitter but I did not have a lot of muscle those years. Going 3 for 4 (mostly singles) or something like that was what they could count on every game from me.

Going into the first year I was eligible for legion ball my dad's drinking became a problem around the time we were supposed to begin practice. I did not get to play that year. I then had a growth spurt the next year and decided to concentrate on basketball which helped me play college basketball one year before health issues forced me to stop.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on May 30, 2017, 09:09:31 pm
I had one hit as 12 year old, my last year to play baseball, but I could hit a golf ball about 230 yards, which was pretty good for a 12 year old with persimmon woods.

They had golf balls that long ago?

Hawgzilla

Was always skinny and not really strong...High School didn't have baseball but I played in town from Pee Wee till one year playing for Texarkana Legion before I gave it up...Was State Champion in the 2 mile run in 1978 with a 9:55 time...

onebadrubi

I usually had one of the bigger arms.  So younger I played catcher and as we got older I went to outfield depending on who we played and so forth.  Started to pitch a little too.  Was a chunk SOB as I got older too so that pulled me back in from the outfield as it got more competitive. 

I use to be lethal in center on a guy stealing second and the throw go in the of and throwing them out at third. 

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 31, 2017, 08:53:45 am
I played CF in high school. Had a good glove, arm, and some wheels, but couldn't hit the offspeed to save my life and it really got in my head when i got to two strikes. Now i coach high school baseball and spend a lot of time working with the boys on their mental approach to hitting. I want them to learn from my mistakes[/b]
I like it.

LRHawg

Quote from: TexasDad on May 31, 2017, 12:05:09 am
Little League (11-12) - In going through my dad's stuff, I came across a photo of the my 11U team - the photo is more than 40 years old. The sponsor was Anthony's Carpets and Drapes and the owner Tony was the coach (he had no children - just loved baseball). He was sort of a Greek version of Walter Matthau in the original Bad News Bears. I check the web and the company was still in business? I give them a call thinking they might like to have a digital copy of the old photo. An old guy answers the phone – I'm thinking it can't possibly be Tony... I tell the guy I have a photo of a youth baseball team his company sponsored in 1974 and asked for an email address so I could send it to them. He immediately asks "Who the hell is this?" I tentatively tell him my name and he shouts into the phone "You dented my f'ing car!" and then starts to laugh. And I remember a high popup that landed on the roof of his brand new Volvo... We talked for about an hour – there's a magic to baseball, regardless of the level...

Haha love it. Great story.

JHicks3636

I came from a baseball crazed family. My Dad had played semi pro ball and after joining the military became an Army fast pitch softball All-Star. He started my brother and me on ball I think before we could walk. My brother was a super ball player until he was injured. My Dad was stationed in Lawton, Ok. during my brother's high school days. College and pro scouts were following him. He was a 3 sport athlete and in his senior year he dislocated a shoulder playing football. It never healed properly and he never got back full range of motion. After 50 years it often still bothers him. With that his throwing and batting went in the tank. I was the runt of the litter but the great thing about baseball is a small guy can play it. I had good range, decent arm, decent speed, but I could really hit a baseball. I didn't have a lot of power but I could single you to death. Like anyone I would get the occasional ball in the gap or down the line for extra bases, but I had a better chance of getting an inside-the-park homer than I did of putting it over the fence. Over the years I played almost every position except pitcher, first and shortstop. I preferred center or 3B. I usually led off and I got on a good bit by hit or walk. I played through high school and then played over 20 years of softball.
My memory is not really one of glory but rather life lesson. I'm in a high school game and I'm hit right on the left hand with a fastball. Before I can move the ump yells "Strike-foul ball". The ump was a well known guy from a local YMCA who officiated every sport. His name was Amos and he was just a good ole boy. I turned and told him the ball hit me. He told me it hit the bat first and to get back in the box. My coach was coaching 3rd base and he called time and met me halfway down the line. I showed him my hand and the seam marks were  clearly visible. He practically drug me back to home plate and held out my hand to Amos. Amos said the ball had hit my bat and crawled up to my hand. Amos obviously was not a physics whiz. I ended up walking. A few days later I saw him at the Y and mentioned it. He looked at me and said "Jerry, I've never missed a call in my life. If you don't believe me look at the score book." I've always remembered that and it makes me understand the futility of arguing about officiating. Until he died whenever our paths crossed I would hold up my left hand and we would exchange smiles.
  One other thing was I was not bat blind so I could catch if I had to. I hated it although I was usually the back-up catcher. At least once each practice I had to catch while the regular catcher took batting practice. During the season no one prayed harder than me for the catcher's continued good health. I have always thought it was the most difficult position in baseball and catchers get my utmost respect.

bosshog84

I love the game of baseball. I played from age 5 in tee ball to age 16 legion ball and quit because I wasn't getting any playing time. Didn't play high school ball because it interfered with high school golf. I was an average player. I was a decent contact hitter and played 3B/LF/RF. No real speed and not a huge arm or anything.

My greatest memory was actually a game we lost in little league when I was 11. We were an average .500 team and we were beating the #1 team (this team was creaming everybody) in our league by a run in the last inning. I was actually playing SS this game. They had 2 outs and a runner on first. The runner on first attempts to steal and I run and cover 2nd. The catcher fires a strike to me and I apply the tag on the elbow. He was clearly out and our team starts to celebrate. The ump (we only had 1 each game) was in no good angle whatsoever to make a call yells "safe!" My dad was our coach and he went ballistic! He chunked our whole water jug out on the field and got ejected. The same batter that was up homers on the next pitch and we lose.

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 31, 2017, 09:22:58 am
They had golf balls that long ago?

We just used the most round rocks we could find, definitely made it harder.

woodrow hog call

I played through high school, mostly left field, some third base, never could hit like I should have been able to. Had good speed and could steal on most catchers, but as they say, you can't steal first.

Really never learned any of the finer points of the game while I was young enough to play so I was never that good, but I was a real good hay hauler, so I went pro in that. Fifty bucks or so a day was more enticing than playing ball for me at that time.

Got older and had to learn a lot about the game so I could teach it to kids, the more you get around guys that played at high levels, college or pro, the more you see how much teaching there is to do, really a great game.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Gerald Gilber

I played from the time I was 5 thru college then many years of slow pitch softball, was probably know more as a hitter but was not bad as a fielder, mostly played first base and dh in college, family was very involved in the game all those years, my dad was a very good player. My best game was a 5 for 5 performance in little league in California with my grandfather visiting from Clarksville, Arkansas. I also pitched that game which was not my forte but I pitched the whole game and had a couple of dingers. My dad complained about my pitching but my grandfather, who I really admired, raved about my hitting that day. in his day he stole bases off of Bill Dickey which was not easy to do, Bill Dickey told him he was slick and that was his nickname from then on.
Can we play all our games at home????

Pig Papi

I was the rare LH hitter that could hammer the curve but couldn't catch up to quality fastballs.  Once scouts figured that out my college career didn't pan out the way I had hoped.  However, I was picked up by a slow pitch softball team and actually got paid to play for a few summers.  There are no fastballs in slow pitch softball.

There was this hot cleat chaser who attended one of my games.  I hit 4 homers that game.  She tracked me down.  We've been married for 25 years and have a son that can hit the curve....and the fastball.  I hope good times are ahead.

SPAL

bulldog04

I played through high school and started my sophomore year on. Played a little everywhere but mostly stayed at first base. I had a knack for scooping balls out of the dirt and developed the nickname "Scoop". Wasn't a great hitter just average. I was the kind of player that could play any position but wasn't great at anything.

hogbud

Decent player until I got golf bug which consumed about 20 years. Now I'm about 10 years into fishing bug....life is funny.

Hooter

I played from 9 years old through college.  I loved baseball with a passion and like every boy that grew up in my era 60's - 70's I wanted to be a pro ball player.  I was a pitcher and played in the field when I did not pitch at 1st base or outfield.  I had a good fast ball in the low 90's in high school and college but never had a pitching coach to teach me how to pitch....mostly a thrower but it served me well.  I only had two home runs hit off me in all my years, one in little league and one in Legion ball.  A couple of my best memories was the fact that I hit three home runs in my last Legion game in Taylor Field in Pine Bluff and we still lost the game.  My coach was saving me to pitch after we won that game.  Still waiting to pitch.  Also talked my college coach in to letting me hit when I didn't pitch and hit a three run home run in my first at bat.  Got to hit from that day forward.  Great game that I am sharing with my grand children now....making great memories.

RazorPiggie

I played from 5 to 14 then started golf. I wasn't too good at the plate and honestly was scared I'd get hit. Wasn't a bad outfielder. I do play church league softball now.

Hooter

One other memory that I forgot about.  I played for our local 9 year old all star team and we turned a triple play.....very unusual for 9 year olds.  I was playing second base and jumped higher than I had ever jumped before and snagged a screaming line drive, doubled the runner off first base, and the first baseman threw out a runner trying to go home on the play.  Clean triple play....everyone went crazy and my dad bought me a gallon bottle of Dad's Root Beer as a reward after the game.  I drank it all......

BigSexyHog

Played 1st base and catcher.  Quit pretty much after legion ball.  Baseball was my best sport but didn't love it like football, which I wasn't to shabby in football since I was an all-conference QB.   I was a switch hitter and hit over. 750 in little league.  Remember one game we hit the time limit but it was a championship game.   I was first up and our coaches were like 1 more batter,  the other team was like it's a tie.  The umps and league said we need to finish.  First pitch put it over the fence and walked around the bases and flipped off the other teams coach.  Needless to say that didn't go over well.....lol.  I was a little cocky back then.

Move forward 30 years I can still switch hit but the bat speed is slow and the power is gone.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hawg1221

TNhawgfan

Quote from: hawg1221 on May 31, 2017, 12:05:53 pm
Played catch in the backyard.
Nothing wrong with that. I remember learning how to play in the backyard with my father more fondly than any high school tournament or regional i played in
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

bigdaddy7X

Don't post much anymore but gotta get in on this most excellent thread. Played through 15 year old Babe Ruth. Just average for the most part.  Tall and lanky and could catch pretty good so played first mostly. Was taught at early age by rock and cotton boll throwing wars that if something is thrown at you...you better get out of the way cause it hurts like hades if it hits. So needless to say i bailed on any hint of curveball...couldn't help it...just natural instinct I suppose. Did ok with the rest.

My fondest memory of my entire baseball career is one night we were to play the late game in Babe Ruth, I was 14, and our team was warming up just outside the first base dugout. We had finished and was standing next to the fence waiting for the first game to finish. One of the Dads of the boys playing in first game was standing there and he looked at us standing there and said, "I'd give a $20 bill to see somebody hit that ball over the fence."  Course none of us had really come close as we were playing on the big boys field as we called it and didn't say hunk much about what he said.

Time passed and we were well into our game when my turn to bat came around...well I'm just praying this pitcher doesn't throw the curve and low and behold he throws one right down the middle. Somehow I more or less stuck the bat out there made contact with the ball and it went over the right field fence. Wasn't sure what to do but finally realized I better run the bases. Oh the bliss and joy of hitting your first home run...I still remember it well. Wound up being the only one I ever hit as most opposing coaches soon learned all they had to do was have someone holler curve when a pitch was thrown my way and I was an easy out. And by the way when game was over and as I left the dugout the gentleman who had said he would give a $20 to see a homerun was waiting for me and gave me a $20 dollar bill. Oh my what a wonderful memory. Many thanks for the thread!!

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: RazorPiggie on May 31, 2017, 11:36:02 am
I played from 5 to 14 then started golf. I wasn't too good at the plate and honestly was scared I'd get hit. Wasn't a bad outfielder. I do play church league softball now.
Those can be more cutthroat than any other type of league.

JHicks3636

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 31, 2017, 11:05:39 am
Great stories....I'm enjoying this.

Yeah, you did pretty good thinking this one up, but is it Friday?

woodrow hog call

Quote from: TNhawgfan on May 31, 2017, 12:08:15 pm
Nothing wrong with that. I remember learning how to play in the backyard with my father more fondly than any high school tournament or regional i played in

^^^^^^^This is what I tell dads now, make it fun for your kids so they will want to play next year, don't try to make them into the next all star. My dad had never played baseball so we didn't have that opportunity, but he always supported me and my brothers in whatever sport we played.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

jacobp

Played through high school, had the opportunity to play at a couple small d1 colleges but the scholarship money wasn't enough to make me move that far away so I gave it up to go to the u of a.

Always an excellent fielder and good hitter for average, not much power (hit around .450 senior year). Went through a stretch my sr year where nothing was physically wrong with my arm but it felt like a noodle when I tried to throw. Still baffled by it, so I DH'ed for 11-12 games until it magically disappeared.
Played 3rd base for a 7A team whose best pitcher topped at about 80...still have a couple dents in my shins to show for it

NoogaHog

Played a couple of years at the Boy's Club back in the 70's. Never very good (Chubby and slow, with a limp), but loved it. I grew up at the baseball field and softball field. My dad and uncles played softball when I was little and I played a lot of cup ball at the park with my cousins. My brother and cousins played a lot of baseball (Babe Ruth, Legion, and High School) and loved to go to the field after school and watch them in the high school games.

I was a scorekeeper for the parks & rec in high school. Easy money and usually fun. I still say the best job I ever had as a teen was at 16 as a scorekeeper for a 14-15 year old girls softball league. 
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

BroyledNutts

Played a couple years in Tee Ball and a couple in Little League. Played mostly second base, because playing soccer even as a very little kid helped develop quick reflexes, with some time spent in RF cause I had an arm. Even as a youngster I could throw a ball from the fence in right to home plate without a bounce - a product of playing catch with my brothers in our cow fields at home. They'd hit the ball a mile out and a mile up, and it was my job to retrieve it and send it back.

I couldn't hit too well as a lefty, but I was taught by my brothers to take a lot of pitches, so I walked a lot... was a terror on the bases cause I had speed to burn. My one shining moment came my last year of Little League. Our team played in a tournament against a team from Canada ... got struck out my first at bat, by a kid that seemed like he was throwing a hundred mph, but after a resounding butt chewing from my brother about how I was playing I went off - two triples, one double, scored twice, stole a base...I don't like getting chewed on. We lost on a walk off by a Canadian kid I swear was 25 ... that ball is still flying. He was probably drafted into the MLB the next year.

The next season my dad began volunteering at the Boy's Club as a basketball coach, I discovered my jump shot, and I never played baseball again. I've always regretted not returning to baseball.

V-town Hog

This may be my favorite thread of all time. I love this game and your stories are great!

I played from the age of 5 through high school. I was always that big kid that batted clean up and I embraced that role. I hit 24 HR from 9th grade through 12. I was also great hitting for average, at one point in my Jr year I was around .750, but I finished the year over just .600. I played the corners and pitched. I could occasionally hit low 90's, but mostly relied on placement and a 12-6 curve.

My favorite memory is blasting a home run off a pitcher that was being scouted by the Rays. My coach told me that he was almost tripping over himself to find out who I was. He backed off when he found out I was a JR. He said he would be back, but I never saw him again. I had one other shot at getting some exposure, but I showed up late to the camp and then I was so nervous that I accidentally hit one of the coaches in the back while throwing in the bullpen. Problem was he wasn't IN the bullpen.

What is funny is that I have more memories of the practices than anything else. All the teams I played on made it fun with competitions and races and a lot of laughs.

hawginbigd1

May 31, 2017, 03:13:58 pm #49 Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:26:45 pm by hawginbigd1
Played from 8-14 in youth ball, and then 3 years legion and 4 years HS. Played the corners mostly 3rd, OF mostly corners but lots of CF, and Catcher. Hated catching early on because of the gear, but I was good at it. I was a +++defender at all. I didn't play a lot of middle IF I just never was really comfortable there, I dabbled pitching maybe reached high 70s on my best day, in high school and legion I turned into submariner, loved the drop on the fastball and the 2-8 movement on the CB, but couldn't really develop a good change up from the side, so I just went with a palm ball in those rare occasions to show something different.

As a hitter I hit for average and OBP, I hit very few home runs, I had almost no lift on my swing, when I squared one up it was squared up, it left the infield at the same height it was pitched, that doesn't get out of the park that often. I was an average guy, I took every walk a pitcher gave me unless I needed to get a ball to the right side to score a deciding run. I don't have exact numbers but my HS and Legion career tallied maybe 10 K's, I was going to get walked or put the ball in play. I would bet half those K's were bad calls by blue on ball 4.

I coached my first little league team with my dad at 15, trust me I was the coach, he was the responsible parent ;D Pop's is a race car and engine builder/crew chief, not a ball coach. I have coached my baby brothers and all my kids for the last 30 years. That first team, we had 2 real players, a couple others who could hit a little, and a couple others who could catch a ball ;D we got beat by Staley Electric out of LR in the semi's of the state tournament by 1 in Dover, Ar. Back around 1985. If my brother hadn't been pitching with a 101 temp we might have one that title!
I could go on for days, I have always loved the game!

Back to my hitting and not striking out I read an article from a former MLB player and hitting coach, named Joe Sewell back from a long time ago. It was simple, there is no excuse for striking out, any body can watch the ball hit the bat. I took that to heart, and myself and the teams I have coached I have used that philosophy. A 2 strike swing is a real thing, and it is totally different than a normal swing, it has one objective put the ball in play. There is only 1 opportunity to get on base if you strike out, there are several if you make the opponent field the ball!