Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA TOURNAMENT GAME #1 THREAD: #1 ARKANSAS (42-17) vs #4 ORAL ROBERTS (42-14)

Started by SPAL, May 29, 2017, 01:39:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbell96

Quote from: dotnet on May 31, 2017, 08:29:11 am
So the four seed is throwing their Sunday guy? 

I get matchups, and this guy is clearly in the category of any good pitcher can shut down a good offense on any given day... but if this move scares you as an Arkansas fan, then you don't really think this team is good enough to get by TCU/Virgina/MSU/OSU/etc.

Agree 100%. That said, this lefty really hasn't been tested this year, so I'd like to see what he does on the big stage.

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on May 31, 2017, 08:29:11 am
So the four seed is throwing their Sunday guy? 

I get matchups, and this guy is clearly in the category of any good pitcher can shut down a good offense on any given day... but if this move scares you as an Arkansas fan, then you don't really think this team is good enough to get by TCU/Virgina/MSU/OSU/etc.
Exactly. I read the ORU board and they were saying they should move Ausua to the game 1 role because of how good he has been pitching as of late, but that he hasn't been doing this all year. He has struggled early in the year and some were doubting whether he was going to make it as their Sunday starter.

Through his first 4 starts he had 17IP 4.67 ERA, 23 hits, 15K, 7 BB. Those are his stats v non-conference opponents, 1 of which made the NCAAT. After that, they were in conference and I already mentioned his stats v conference opponents.

bighog2255

Quote from: jry04 on May 31, 2017, 08:40:41 am

Through his first 4 starts he had 17IP 4.67 ERA, 23 hits, 15K, 7 BB. Those are his stats v non-conference opponents, 1 of which made the NCAAT. After that, they were in conference and I already mentioned his stats v conference opponents.

Yes he had back to back bad starts against Hawaii and DBU. Everyone understands the Summit League is poor competition, but you can't knock him for those bad starts and not give him credit for pitching well at Alabama.

Do you recall what Stephan did at Alabama? 1.1 IP, 4H, 4R, 0K's.

No one is saying he is Clayton Kershaw, but let's not completely discredit what he has done. His coach (who may know more about him than anyone else) thinks of him as the "ace" of this staff, or else he wouldn't have moved him to start against us.

And by the way, this team has been hitting all season as well. This game is far from a gimme.

jry04

Quote from: bighog2255 on May 31, 2017, 10:30:26 am
Yes he had back to back bad starts against Hawaii and DBU. Everyone understands the Summit League is poor competition, but you can't knock him for those bad starts and not give him credit for pitching well at Alabama.

No one is saying he is Clayton Kershaw, but let's not completely discredit what he has done. His coach (who may know more about him than anyone else) thinks of him as the "ace" of this staff, or else he wouldn't have moved him to start against us.

And by the way, this team has been hitting all season as well. This game is far from a gimme.
Nobody said it is a gimmie. Not one person. However, some of our fans seems to be legit scared of facing this lefty with a 1.60 ERA, so I was providing information to show that his 1.60 ERA may be a bit misleading. We have fans on here saying ORU doesn't deserve a 4 seed, when in fact their resume isn't even the strongest 4 seed resume there is. We have people saying they are "battle tested and proven." How are they proven when they have faced 1 NCAAT on the weekend all season and lost? That is my only point. I am not saying we will win or it will be easy. I am just pointing out that ORU is not proven, so it is hard to know what to really expect on Friday. I have said a number of times I am more worried about ORU than the other 2, but it isn't for the pitching. While people are freaking out about their pitching they are overlooking that they hit in the .290s as a team, have 60+ HRs, 58 SB in 68 attempts, and a catcher that will go in the top 5 rounds of the draft in a few weeks. Stephan and Knight have shown the ability to miss their spots, and give up crooked numbers at times this year. I definitely think they are in the zone right now, but all it takes is 1 or 2 bad pitches to turn a game upside down, and these guys appear to have a lineup that can do that.

Pig Papi

jry04

Quote from: Pig Papi on May 31, 2017, 10:49:47 am
Quote from: jry04 on May 31, 2017, 10:46:02 am
Nobody said it is a gimmie. Not one person.

We have one poster who has basically said this is a gimmie.
Then I stand correct. Let me rephrase. Not one post that I have read.

dotnet

Quote from: jry04 on May 31, 2017, 10:46:02 am
.290s as a team, have 60+ HRs, 58 SB in 68 attempts,

Look at guys like Jake Arledge, Koch, and even Fletcher (as a freshman) in non conference vs SEC play etc.  If this team played in ORU's league, they would be hitting close to 400. 

Also, there are teams every year who steal 20 bags in non conference and then barely run in conference play.  I'm sure they have some good catchers, but as a whole, I bet that stat doesn't translate.

jbell96

Quote from: bighog2255 on May 31, 2017, 10:30:26 am

I don't think anyone on here is counting this game as a gimmie, ORU has a really good offense, but I think you're giving this kid a bit too much credit IMO. All season he's faced the #3 starter of teams in the Summit League, which is the 5th worst RPI conference in the nation.

It's going to be a big step up for him facing one of the most potent lineups in the country, in front of over 10,000 people, and the other team has a guy on the mound who was 3rd in the SEC with 108 strikeouts in 83 2/3 IP.

dotnet

Quote from: jbell96 on May 31, 2017, 10:52:14 am
I don't think anyone on here is counting this game as a gimmie, ORU has a really good offense, but I think you're giving this kid a bit too much credit IMO. All season he's faced the #3 starter of teams in the Summit League, which is the 5th worst RPI conference in the nation.

It doesn't really matter who he was matched up against.  Its the same offense on Sunday that he would face on Friday....

jry04

Quote from: dotnet on May 31, 2017, 10:52:14 am
Look at guys like Jake Arledge, Koch, and even Fletcher (as a freshman) in non conference vs SEC play etc.  If this team played in ORU's league, they would be hitting close to 400. 

Also, there are teams every year who steal 20 bags in non conference and then barely run in conference play.  I'm sure they have some good catchers, but as a whole, I bet that stat doesn't translate.
I agree with that. They haven't faced many, if any arms like Stephan will throw at them. However, because of our lack of depth in the bullpen I still have trouble fully trusting our staff every night. They definitely did their job in the SEC Tournament, though.

SPAL

jbell96

Quote from: dotnet on May 31, 2017, 10:54:16 am
It doesn't really matter who he was matched up against.  Its the same offense on Sunday that he would face on Friday....

In the Summit League it probably doesn't, but he's facing one of the best offenses in the nation, his offense is facing a guy that has the ability to shut them down, and there will be 10K Hog fans going crazy. You telling me there's no pressure there?

returntoglory

This makes great sense for ORU. We keep talking about possibly starting Murphy just to save our aces (I know van horn won't but it has been discussed). So they throw a crafty left handed which we've historically had trouble with. So they have a chance of winning a game they shouldn't but have saved their two best starters for the next games. Sets up decently for them. I'm still of the mindset we wipe the floor with them and move on to Fort Worth. But it makes good sense for them.

bighog2255

Quote from: jbell96 on May 31, 2017, 10:52:14 am

Please show me where I gave the kid "too much credit". I just posted what he did against Alabama (which jry04 discounted as a crappy offense), so it hasn't all been against cupcakes. I also pointed out that Stephan couldn't get out of the 2nd inning against Alabama.

The bottom line is neither of these pitchers have pitched in a spot like they will Friday night, so who knows what will happen.

jbell96

Quote from: bighog2255 on May 31, 2017, 11:43:56 am
Please show me where I gave the kid "too much credit". I just posted what he did against Alabama (which jry04 discounted as a crappy offense), so it hasn't all been against cupcakes. I also pointed out that Stephan couldn't get out of the 2nd inning against Alabama.

The bottom line is neither of these pitchers have pitched in a spot like they will Friday night, so who knows what will happen.

You were going on and on about a start this kid made, over 3 months ago, against a team that had 2 SEC wins heading in to the first full weekend of May. That is giving him too much credit in my book. Alabama finished in the bottom 4 or 5 in the SEC of every major offensive category so I don't know what makes you think that was a quality win. He's faced better offensive teams in DBU & Hawaii, and both hit him well.

Again, I'm not saying that he can't beat us or shut us down, it's baseball anything can happen, I'm just saying that his numbers are a bit inflated due to the lack of competition he's faced this year.

bighog2255

Quote from: jbell96 on May 31, 2017, 12:28:34 pm
You were going on and on about a start this kid made

Quote from: bighog2255 on May 31, 2017, 07:31:52 am
He hasn't had many opportunities against good teams (their conference is awful), but he did pitch really well at Alabama:

Win, 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 K

You're right. I did go over the top with my praise  ???

BroyledNutts

Whatever Ausau does, someone needs to let the ORU coach not to pitch Spanberger away or off speed - he can kill it away and slow. Tell him to make sure Ausau throws middle-in fast ... Chad is horrible at hitting middle-in and fast ....

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: JHicks3636 on May 30, 2017, 11:02:01 am
I've got this first game for us guys. I'm sending cigarettes, liquor and hookers over to the ORU hotel on Thursday night.

Sounds like Bigdaddio's strategy, from the old Hogbuzz.

As I recall, it often worked well to get at least one opposing player arrested and suspended.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Kevin on May 31, 2017, 08:26:22 am
over the years, soft tossing lefties have given the hogs problems. I remember Arizona state threw a lefty outfielder, at us, the guy threw like 6 shut out innings.

I don't know the stats exactly, but if I can I'm throwing a lefty at C-Span pitching high and away in the zone. I'm not giving him anything at the knees to lift out.

RazorBassin

SPAL

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

Birminghog

Quote from: bighog2255 on May 31, 2017, 07:31:52 am
He hasn't had many opportunities against good teams (their conference is awful), but he did pitch really well at Alabama:

Win, 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 6 K

...and Alabama beat us with Stephan on the hill. All I'm saying is let's not celebrate until it's over.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Absolutely cannot wait for Friday.  I keep checking the weather to see what gear we need to bring.

SPAL

ricepig

HamIAm

Hogs49ers

SCREW Vandy!

Supermark101

The strength of the regional is overrated. Yes, OSU is hot, but none of these teams really scare me. If the bullpen doesn't have a bad night we win easily.

SPAL

swineology

theFlyingHog

Just found out I'll be home in time for the game!  :razorback:

PigWig

arslp

Quote from: Birminghog on May 30, 2017, 09:40:33 pm
90 ft., but whatever.

I guess this is not the right time for me to tell the one about the guy who sent his dog to the Oral Roberts Obedience School?
My name is written twice on the sidewalks at U of A; the first for a bachelors degree in education; and the second for a master's degree in speech-lanuguage pathology. 

Like my friend "ArkieBrat" says, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies".

arslp

Quote from: Birminghog on May 30, 2017, 09:40:33 pm
90 ft., but whatever.

I guess this is not the right time for me to tell the one about the guy who sent his dog to the Oral Roberts Obedience School?

I can understand wanting to beat ORU but why make fun of their sincerely held religious beliefs? I live and die for Arkansas wins but I'm a Christian before I'm a hog fan or anything else
My name is written twice on the sidewalks at U of A; the first for a bachelors degree in education; and the second for a master's degree in speech-lanuguage pathology. 

Like my friend "ArkieBrat" says, "Gettin' old ain't for sissies".

hog_fan86

Can those of you lucky enough to go to the games today (tonight) post pictures of the crowd?

GuvHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 31, 2017, 10:58:09 am
Yeah but GUV doesn't count.

I never said this was a gimmie. I just wondered if DVH might take a chance and Start Murphy on the mound in the first game against a 4 seed. He's not doing that. He's taking no chances and starting Stephan. I don't blame him one bit. I don't consider ORU to be a gimmie, but if the Hogs bats get going they should win this game.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BroyledNutts

Quote from: hog_fan86 on June 02, 2017, 11:38:17 am
Can those of you lucky enough to go to the games today (tonight) post pictures of the crowd?

It might be a good idea to put them in a separate thread, to avoid cluttering the game thread.

MODS please advise - SPAL, if you're coming tonight, or ARK, you guys always take the best pics ...

SPAL

Quote from: hog_fan86 on June 02, 2017, 11:38:17 am

Certainly

SPAL

Quote from: BroyledNutts on June 02, 2017, 11:53:43 am
It might be a good idea to put them in a separate thread, to avoid cluttering the game thread.

MODS please advise - SPAL, if you're coming tonight, or ARK, you guys always take the best pics ...

It's y'all's board. I'm just lucky enough to be a part of it. However y'all wanna do it.

tennesseehogwild

Hope the boys come out focused! One game at a time approach. GHG!

BroyledNutts

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 02, 2017, 12:13:05 pm
It's y'all's board. I'm just lucky enough to be a part of it. However y'all wanna do it.

A pic or two might add a little flavor to the thread ....help set the scene, as it were. 10 might be a bit much.

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on June 02, 2017, 12:13:05 pm
It's y'all's board. I'm just lucky enough to be a part of it.

Right .... and Stonewall Jackson was just one of the boys ...

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Kevin on May 31, 2017, 08:26:22 am
over the years, soft tossing lefties have given the hogs problems. I remember Arizona state threw a lefty outfielder, at us, the guy threw like 6 shut out innings.
I would classify a soft throwing lefty as working 83-85 on his fastball.  Not 86-90.  If he's throwing fastballs at 88 and he leaves them up the Hogs will have balls flying out all over the park.

SPAL

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 02, 2017, 01:02:10 pm
I would classify a soft throwing lefty as working 83-85 on his fastball.  Not 86-90.  If he's throwing fastballs at 88 and he leaves them up the Hogs will have balls flying out all over the park.

I think they mean he is crafty and has good offspeed and breaking stuff.

howie76

BroyledNutts

Just an FYI for anyone monitoring this thread while driving to the game...I just heard a parking attendant say the East Baum parking lot is full ... Redirect to lot 56 and ride the shuttle - pick up is near the soccer stadium ...

SPAL

ThisTeetsTaken

***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***