Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ziemba and Burns my take

Started by Shizzle, October 12, 2006, 03:45:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Shizzle

I think it is a must to land Ziemba and Broderick Green but I personally could care less if we get Kodi Burns and I could care less if he reads this and is offended. He has not taken his team to the next level in high school I don't think a QB is a must in this class anyway. I think we have a great chance to land a true bigtime QB next year and Burns would simply be in the way. This is just my opinion, I hope Auburn and Oklahoma pull him right away from us.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

killamon

QB not a must???  i must be mistaken b/c i swear the only backup we have is Casey Dick, and he might be gone after this season, who knows.....RoJo's at WR.........not only do we need a QB in this class, but IMO we might need 2

ArkHogJason

Thay both are a must. You don't let 5 star players out of your back yard.

sowmonella

Kodi has a tremendous up side. Size, great arm, speed and more. FS Northsides problems are NOT with the QB. We will very happy to have KB in a Razorback uniform. He's one of the most prized recruits in the nation.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hog_fan

I think Casey is basically gone at seasons end. He can transfer to a division 1-A school, redshirt and have two years left. I also see RJ leaving and going down to division 1-A or Division 2. For that matter Mitch could even live, if HUNH doesn't happen soon. We need a QB this class. We are putting it all in 1 basket for Burns. if he says no it will be december and by then it will be tough to get in on someone else.

bigred7987

311Hog

Something you might want to think about in your "take" is Matt Jones senior year.  He was a great player, but he was the only returning starter and that team struggled mightily despite his abilities. Sometimes 1 player cant do it all no matter how good they are.

Shizzle

I guarantee you we can get a better QB than Burns that wants to be a Razorback and we can possibly do it this year. If he wanted to be a Razorback deep in his heart he would be jumping at the chance. His situation is very different than MM was last year in my mind. MM is barring injury going to be a sure fire 1st rounder in a few years Burns will be lucky to be a productive D1 QB. I hope Gus catches an out of state star to fill the spot after Mitch is gone. I just don't feel comfortable about Burns.

killamon

Quote from: Shizzle on October 12, 2006, 05:10:19 pm
I guarantee you we can get a better QB than Burns that wants to be a Razorback and we can possibly do it this year. If he wanted to be a Razorback deep in his heart he would be jumping at the chance. His situation is very different than MM was last year in my mind. MM is barring injury going to be a sure fire 1st rounder in a few years Burns will be lucky to be a productive D1 QB. I hope Gus catches an out of state star to fill the spot after Mitch is gone. I just don't feel comfortable about Burns.

how can you guarantee that we can get a better QB when Kodi Burns is the only QB we've offered...

gopigsgo

Kodi is a must get. He has the whole package and said in sept. that it was always Ark. then everyone else. Aubie isn't that impressive of a place, reminds me of a Conway with a huge warmemorial in it. Go with your first instincts Kodi and wear the helmet with a hog on it!

northsideHog03

Burns will be lucky if he is a productive D1 QB?  Are you kidding me?  I'm pretty sure Alex Wood and Gus Malzahn can evaluate talent way better than you can.

Shizzle

Like I said this is just my opinion.

hogfan47

Someone has not taken the time to see kodi play ...
I would put kodi ahead of lee if i had to chose between them..
I would rather have both but????????
C L martin

Fort Smith Ark    

start the healing process now

HedgeDweller

Well Shizzle, who ya got in mind?

craigr417

I think Kodi and Lee are must gets.  I think Broderick is a high priority aswell, especially if Dmac and fellix go pro following their jr. year

mbgrulz

1. Lee Ziemba
2. kodi burns
3. broderick green

i think you gotta land the big fella either way. we saw last saturday what a good line does for ya.

KB would be a great pickup for us. it looks like CD will split (just based on what ive heard on hogville) and we REALLY need him. KB is a big time QB. talk to any coach and they'll tell you. yeah he is athletic, yeah he is fast, and that makes him any less of a QB how?

BG is also a major desire for us. presuming DMAC is gone after next year, felix the year after that, that leaves mike smith with 2 years of playing time. thats good, but he needs some thunder to go with his lightning.

bottom line, arkansas puts out very few top notch players and the ones we do have we HAVE to keep in state.

Love those Hogs

You have a right to your opinion, but I can't say I agree with it at all.  K Burns is a 5 star QB right here in Arkansas, what in the world would make you not want him?  He can throw the ball 70+ yards, runs a 4.5 in the 40 and from what I hear seems to be a pretty good kid.  He may be the best on campus when he gets there, who knows.
Hogs 4 Life!

Sow’sEar

Quote from: Shizzle on October 12, 2006, 03:45:33 pm
I think it is a must to land Ziemba and Broderick Green but I personally could care less if we get Kodi Burns and I could care less if he reads this and is offended. He has not taken his team to the next level in high school I don't think a QB is a must in this class anyway. I think we have a great chance to land a true bigtime QB next year and Burns would simply be in the way. This is just my opinion, I hope Auburn and Oklahoma pull him right away from us.
I disagree with you Shizzle.  Burns is the real deal.  Will be a great college quarterback, not athlete but quarterback.

bigguy551122

I disagree completely, I think Kodi can be a good college QB, not great but good, and even if QB doesn't work then he is such a great athlete that he can contribute at other positions. Its not a matter of if we need him or not, it's a matter of I would rather have him on my team rather than maybe having to play him when he is on Auburn in the years to come.
perfection is all i expect.

Shizzle

Good to have different opinions. I will stick beside mine and 3-4 years down the road we will see who was correct.

Gushugger

I've only briefly said anything about this.  But this seems to be an opportunity.  This is simply my take on the Burns situation.  No inside info, just an opinion.  I think there is more to the story than meets the eye.  If you remember, as some of you have stated, Kodi was a "done deal" early on.  He wanted to be a hog and said he always wanted to play for Gus.  I've seen Gus' offense up close and personal.  I don't think Gus' offense meshes with the style of QB Burns is.  Not saying he isn't a good QB.  I don't think he is as good as most think either.  In a nutshell, I don't think Gus wants to sign a "Dual Threat" QB.  He wants the pocket passer, the Manning, the Mitch, etc.  I think they have completely backed off of him and will go hard after a pocket passer.  I think they will offer an instate kid who is starting to get some big time attention.  He doesn't have a lot of offers but some big time programs are knocking down his door right now.  The offers will come soon.  But I've said all that to say this.   I don't think Gus is very high on Kodi compared to some pocket passers he is looking at.  Just my opinion.

killamon

Quote from: Gushugger on October 12, 2006, 10:41:20 pm

I've only briefly said anything about this.  But this seems to be an opportunity.  This is simply my take on the Burns situation.  No inside info, just an opinion.  I think there is more to the story than meets the eye.  If you remember, as some of you have stated, Kodi was a "done deal" early on.  He wanted to be a hog and said he always wanted to play for Gus.  I've seen Gus' offense up close and personal.  I don't think Gus' offense meshes with the style of QB Burns is.  Not saying he isn't a good QB.  I don't think he is as good as most think either.  In a nutshell, I don't think Gus wants to sign a "Dual Threat" QB.  He wants the pocket passer, the Manning, the Mitch, etc.  I think they have completely backed off of him and will go hard after a pocket passer.  I think they will offer an instate kid who is starting to get some big time attention.  He doesn't have a lot of offers but some big time programs are knocking down his door right now.  The offers will come soon.  But I've said all that to say this.   I don't think Gus is very high on Kodi compared to some pocket passers he is looking at.  Just my opinion.

yeah, you're right.....gus does not want that Kodi at all ....that's why they made it a priority to let him know that he is the only QB they've offered and the only one they want.....

Gushugger

I think that happened earlier in the spring and summer.  I'm pretty sure they didn't say that to Kodi in the past week or so.  Could be wrong though.

bigred7987

I've thought before, that we wouldnt go after him unless it was opportunity,  but who is the other QB you are referring to

pigture perfect

Not only should they stay on Kodi, but also go after Ryan Mallett. I agree with the earlier posters who said we may even need 2 QB's in this class.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Gushugger

I think Mallett is solid.  He just took a trip to Michigan and loved it.  His commitment seems firm.  I think Loucks is going to be good too but TT has a commitment from him.  I think the guy flying under the radar is Matt Simpson from Shiloh Christian.  FSU has contacted him recently.  I've seen him play and the kid puts the ball on the money.  I went to the Greenwood game and was sold.  I think bigger schools have waited to see how his season went since the competition is weak in their conference.  Now that they've had a chance to see him they are knocking down the door.  He had something like 4200 yards 50 td's and 10 ints as a junior.  I don't care what level you are on, those are stud numbers. 

I also think having Mitch scares the top QB prospects away just a bit.  It would me.  But Simpson isn't as intimidating.  The 08 crop might have a stud considering us that thinks he can redshirt, back up Mitch a year and have 3 left to play without Simpson being in the way.  I think Simpson is a GREAT backup to have to Mitch.  Plus Gus coached him.  Gus brought HDN up to watch him practice at one point.  I think they are on him.

pigture perfect

Quote from: Gushugger on October 12, 2006, 11:04:47 pm
I think Mallett is solid.  He just took a trip to Michigan and loved it.  His commitment seems firm.  I think Loucks is going to be good too but TT has a commitment from him.  I think the guy flying under the radar is Matt Simpson from Shiloh Christian.  FSU has contacted him recently.  I've seen him play and the kid puts the ball on the money.  I went to the Greenwood game and was sold.  I think bigger schools have waited to see how his season went since the competition is weak in their conference.  Now that they've had a chance to see him they are knocking down the door.  He had something like 4200 yards 50 td's and 10 ints as a junior.  I don't care what level you are on, those are stud numbers. 

I also think having Mitch scares the top QB prospects away just a bit.  It would me.  But Simpson isn't as intimidating.  The 08 crop might have a stud considering us that thinks he can redshirt, back up Mitch a year and have 3 left to play without Simpson being in the way.  I think Simpson is a GREAT backup to have to Mitch.  Plus Gus coached him.  Gus brought HDN up to watch him practice at one point.  I think they are on him.
I'm cool with that. I do believe Mallett to be firm for Mich. but I still think we need to pursue. I trust you if you tell me Simpson is  that good. I hope we get him too.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

northsidegrizzly06

Kodi Burns is the real deal at QB..... If u don't believe take a trip to Fort Smith and see for urself.and if we don't get him it will be a big hit to our recruting class

SonOfMud

"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

FtheDarksiders

why even post something like that?  its a great idea to call out an instate recruit and basically say he sucks and we don't want him....what a joke.  your opinion seems to be a valid one too...all the major recruiting services think he is horrible, some of the best d-1 football programs think he is horrible.  anyone that is recrutied by schools like auburn and oklahoma has no reason playing for the hogs? 

sometimes opinions are best kept to yourself....just my opinion.

northsideHog03

Quote from: Gushugger on October 12, 2006, 10:41:20 pm

I've only briefly said anything about this.  But this seems to be an opportunity.  This is simply my take on the Burns situation.  No inside info, just an opinion.  I think there is more to the story than meets the eye.  If you remember, as some of you have stated, Kodi was a "done deal" early on.  He wanted to be a hog and said he always wanted to play for Gus.  I've seen Gus' offense up close and personal.  I don't think Gus' offense meshes with the style of QB Burns is.  Not saying he isn't a good QB.  I don't think he is as good as most think either.  In a nutshell, I don't think Gus wants to sign a "Dual Threat" QB.  He wants the pocket passer, the Manning, the Mitch, etc.  I think they have completely backed off of him and will go hard after a pocket passer.  I think they will offer an instate kid who is starting to get some big time attention.  He doesn't have a lot of offers but some big time programs are knocking down his door right now.  The offers will come soon.  But I've said all that to say this.   I don't think Gus is very high on Kodi compared to some pocket passers he is looking at.  Just my opinion.

Kodi will sit in the pocket and pass.  He runs only when he is flushed out the pocket or if it's a designed play.  He's a pass first QB.  If they don't get Burns, I think they go after Simpson from Shiloh.

Gushugger

Quote from: northsidegrizzly06 on October 13, 2006, 08:59:07 am
Kodi Burns is the real deal at QB..... If u don't believe take a trip to Fort Smith and see for urself.and if we don't get him it will be a big hit to our recruting class
Never said he wasn't the real deal.  I think he is a good QB.

dudelove

What is the fascination that "dual threat" quarterbacks can't pass in the pocket?  I don't keep up with Fort Smith football, but last I heard his team was scoring 30+ points a game and losing close ones to good teams in shoot outs.  Is he suppose to stop the opposition as well? 

I'm getting off point, but what I'm trying to say is, just because a quarterback has great wheels, it doesn't mean he can't throw it too. We know he has a cannon arm.  Alex Wood did wonders with another "dual threat" guy by the name of Culpepper.  He did pretty well when he was healthy, right? 

Plus, let's assume the best case scenario for Kodi if comes to Arkansas.  He redshirts and Mitch leaves after his Junior season.  He still has three seasons to be the starter and two years to learn the system and work under Wood.  Worse case scenario, he redshirts and still has two seasons to start after Mitch graduates.

I have full faith that if he comes to the U of A, he'll be great.  I just think it's a bit silly to get off a quarterback because he's been labeled "dual threat."  The word "dual" indicates he can do both, right?