Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[MERGED] Hogs vs TAMU - Discuss why the game changed to a Home and Home series for 2012/2013 seasons

Started by Westcoasthog, February 18, 2012, 03:27:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Murr

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 19, 2012, 04:26:03 pm
Didn't they win a title just a couple years ago?
Some dude named Tebow I think?  After he left the program fell apart and Urban Meyer resigned for health reasons (Butthurt Loss Syndrome I believe).

hogrox

Quote from: Fatty McGee on February 19, 2012, 04:18:04 pm
Yeah, that never happens in college football.  It's morality and honesty all the way.  By the way, who is our coach again?  I love BP as much as anyone, but let's not start yammering on about integrity and commitments in high level D-1 sports.

If Cowboy stadium hosted some dog fights and Jerry Jones got busted for tax evasion, I think your comparison would make sense. But Arkansas has done nothing wrong and Dallas Cowboys Stadium has done nothing wrong. Texas A&M thought they would travel better and win more. They aren't so they don't like the deal anymore.

The best point here is that if Arkansas wanted to move the games as well, then there would be a mutual agreement, but Arkansas doesn't. So Texas A&M is basically taking their ball and going home.

It isn't about morality or anything like that, and in all honesty it isn't really even that big a deal. It's about HOW they are going about it. The whining about every little thing is growing tiresome and they've yet to officially even compete in the SEC.

Quito

If you go on texags, aggieyell, or agtimes, there isn't a single thread about the sitting in the first 25 rows behind the visiting bench.  seriously, go check it out yourself.   

Judging by this thread and a couple others, I think the only "whining" is here. 

Ags will have a top 5 atmosphere regardless who sits behind the bench. 

Herbstreet says, "This is the best student section in college football":

Musberger says, "no student body enjoys their football team like A&M does:

CBS (SEC network) ranks Kyle Field #1:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/6436849

Maybe your cheerleaders should step it up a bit?  Maybe if y'all cared more about RRS instead of going on the road to play, you too would get compliments like those? 

I love the Hogs...not as much as the Ags, but I do think y'all are wasting a lot of time trying to not play games at home for some unknown reason?  Only whining you will see on this topic, is on Hogville. 

You have a great team, great coach, beautiful facilities that nobody knows about.  Not sure what the problem is? 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: hogrox on February 19, 2012, 04:39:20 pm
If Cowboy stadium hosted some dog fights and Jerry Jones got busted for tax evasion, I think your comparison would make sense. But Arkansas has done nothing wrong and Dallas Cowboys Stadium has done nothing wrong. Texas A&M thought they would travel better and win more. They aren't so they don't like the deal anymore.

The best point here is that if Arkansas wanted to move the games as well, then there would be a mutual agreement, but Arkansas doesn't. So Texas A&M is basically taking their ball and going home.

It isn't about morality or anything like that, and in all honesty it isn't really even that big a deal. It's about HOW they are going about it. The whining about every little thing is growing tiresome and they've yet to officially even compete in the SEC.

Again, who cares "how" they are going about it.  People in college football break promises all the time.  And people only complain when it's the other guy doing it.  Again, look how our coach left his last job. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hogrox

Quote from: Douglas on February 19, 2012, 04:11:47 pm
Aggies and Tigers³, pay attention to this right here. hogrox speaks the ABSOLUTE truth.

Bama brings: Poisoning historical treas and teabagging.

The Burning Plains (Auburn) brings: Paying for recruits, running off coaches (see Arkansas), infesting competing school fan sites like vermin, crybaby sense of overinflated entitlement.

Arkansas brings: Running off Coaches (Nolan Richardson, Houston Nutt (rightfully so), etc), full page ads to voice displeasure, hiring plans to fly banners on game days, FOI requests for cell phone records. Arkansas may not have the stature of these so called large schools, but they have money and time to burn.

Florida brings: unwarranted and unjustified swagger due to having a good program in the mid to late 90's and *very* early 2000's.

LSU brings: hurtled bottles of Miss at opponent fans, crowd noise so thunderous it actually triggered seismic monitors into thinking there was an earthquake.

Mississippi State brings: Cowbells that are beyond raucous and can cause problems for many opponents and fans. You damn well better bring GOOD ear plugs if attending a game at Starkville.

Tennessee brings: Absolutely bat sh*t crazy fan bases, especially when the program is doing well.  Neyland is beyond intimidating when packed to the hilt. Let's not forget that some player's... legal standings... are questionable.

Those are the big boys you're up against, TAMU and Mizzou.

Think about Arkansas. They are a perfect example.

Arkansas has one of the 25 largest stadiums in college football. They have the 8th largest, soon to be 9th largest in the SEC.

Arkansas is habitually one of the 25 best recruiting teams in the country. They are usually 8th or 9th in the SEC.

Arkansas has one of the 20 biggest Athletic Budgets in the country... They are 9th or 10th in the SEC.

Arkansas was the third best team in the country going into the last week of the season... and were a clear third in their own division.

I loved that line from 40 minutes of hell. Larry Johnson told Nolan, "You better go get you some men."

Boys don't win a lot of games in the SEC.

hogrox

Quote from: Quito on February 19, 2012, 04:39:41 pm

Maybe your cheerleaders should step it up a bit?  Maybe if y'all cared more about RRS instead of going on the road to play, you too would get compliments like those? 

We do...
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/19299/secs-top-5-game-atmospheres-in-2010

Quito

hogrox

Quote from: Quito on February 19, 2012, 05:06:46 pm
Then why don't y'all like playing there?

We do. I'd prefer to move all the WMS games to Fayetteville and continue to play one non-conference game in Dallas. But that wasn't happening this year because A&M wouldn't crap or get off the pot. Having a game in Dallas is still a recruiting advantage. And for next season, having 8 home games and an additional neutral site game would mean an even easier run at a national title.

Next season A&M has ZERO shot at that, Arkansas is poised to make a run. But now, they have to deal with A&M being ornery for ornery's sake.

A&M fans - "We don't wanna play in Dallas, we wanna play in BFE College Station! We don't wanna move our student section and band, we don't wanna abide by the rules. We wanna have advantages and play by our own rules. We want you to accommodate our 1,912 traditions and cow-tow to our every need and whim! Waaa waaa waaa!"

Quito

Judging by all the whining on this board about the game in Dallas, it doesn't seem like y'all like playing at RRS.  After all, if it weren't for Jeff long and your athletic department working out a deal to play the next 2 games on campus, Hogs would only play 3 games at RRS in '13.

Again, go check out the Aggie boards...not 1 thread about the student seating issue.  Yes, it appears the SEC fans can't control themselves.  Only school in the Big 12 that had trouble controlling their fans was T Tech.  First year after graduation, former students get 12Man membership for $112. Look for those seats to go to them.  What difference does it make?  Still don't see what the issue is?  Ags have the largest student section in NCAA, 30,000+.  Students make up 90% of the east side of the stadium (visiting team side).  Does it really make a difference if a 21 year old Sr is there versus a 22 year old former student?   

hogcard1964

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 18, 2012, 03:27:34 am
     After hearing Jeff Long's news conference about the Arkansas' game with Texas A & M Jeff Long said no decision with Texas A & M has been made as of yet - as to playing the game at Cowboy Stadium, or a home and home basic.  From his reply the Arkansas
Texas A & M game could go on a home and home for 2012 and 2013, and said he was
hoping that the Arkasas Texas A & M game could resume in 2014 in Cowboy Stadium.
He said if that is not the decision, Arkansas would be looking at a major opponent to
play to play in Cowboy Stadium in 2014.

I don't have too much of a problem with it as long as we get the first home game of the series this year. Seeing we've basically been in their backyard for the past three years.

hogwild77

Quote from: Quito on February 19, 2012, 04:39:41 pm

Maybe aTm should go back to the big 12.

Anybody

Murr

Quote from: hogcard1964 on February 19, 2012, 05:34:44 pm
I don't have too much of a problem with it as long as we get the first home game of the series this year. Seeing we've basically been in their backyard for the past three years.
We got 'Bama and LSU at home this year.  If we add aTM at home too, next year all those games would be on the road (if this schedule survives as is).  Let's go ahead and play them down there.

Iwastherein1969

I must be missing something here....in fairness, the Aggies should play 1 more game at Dallas in order to bring about the home vs visitor to 2 homes and thus 2 visitors for each side....what is basically happening is simply because we wore RED jersies last year while traveling 270 miles to Dallas while the Aggies had 100 miles less of a journey and wore road uniforms, the Aggies get to have a home game ?  maybe this is much ado about nothing, but I'm already sick of AGGIE whining
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

SoonerInSpringdale

The Aggies are your weirdos now.  You can't give them back either.  Enjoy.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: FootballAllTheWay on February 19, 2012, 02:23:46 pm
The general vibe here seems to be we want it moved out of Dallas because we are tired of getting beat.  That's not the reason. We want the game out of Dallas because:

1. Our home schedule will suck unless we get another good team on there so take that as a compliment. Without adding Arkansas to our home schedule our home schedule is horrible. ( Florida, So Carolina State, LSU, Sam Houston Sate, Missouri) Would you want to fork out big bucks for those? Even with adding Arkansas to our home schedule we will only have 6 home games.

2. we did not make the money we thought we were going to make on the deal. It's not been anywhere close. 

Finally as far as it being a recruiting advantage for yall to play in Dallas why do you care if it's A&M or some other team?  It's still a game for you in Dallas. Go for it.

3. You are a bunch of whiney female dogs.

Get ready.  Ya'll will get your asses kicked in the SEC.  An ass kicking in Dallas, College Station, or in Fayetteville is still an ass kicking.  Welcome to the SEC.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

Quito

Wow, arkpigdiesel, how long did it take you to come up with that?  I'm guessing you were on the deans list back in your day? 

SoonerInSpringdale

Quote from: Quito on February 19, 2012, 07:12:28 pm
Wow, arkpigdiesel, how long did it take you to come up with that?  I'm guessing you were on the deans list back in your day?

He's right.

Arkapigdiesel

Quote from: Quito on February 19, 2012, 07:12:28 pm

Actually, I was.  Appreciate you for stating the obvious, queef-o.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

hogcard1964

Quote from: Murr on February 19, 2012, 06:33:50 pm
We got 'Bama and LSU at home this year.  If we add aTM at home too, next year all those games would be on the road (if this schedule survives as is).  Let's go ahead and play them down there.

Life's a bi^(h.  We've been there (in their proximity) three times.  It's their turn to travel here.

Quito

rickm1976

Personally, I'm excited to go back to Kyle Field, with all the history of our years in the SWC.  Playing home and home is just part of being in the same conference.  We'll win anyway, so who cares where it is!

jkstock04

Quote from: hogrox on February 19, 2012, 02:37:39 pm
It is kind of whiny regardless of the reasons on A&M's part. You committed to something, now you are complaining. The reasons to motivate it are irrelevant. You are backing out of something because it isn't what you thought it would be.

Kind of like us backing out of playing the Longhorns 2 or 3 years back? 

His point #1 makes sense to me.  IMO if we had been playing LSU in Little Rock this year our home schedule would have been pretty abysmal. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Agent of Chaos

Quote from: Quito on February 19, 2012, 05:26:17 pm
Judging by all the whining on this board about the game in Dallas, it doesn't seem like y'all like playing at RRS. 

I stopped reading after this sentence.
You know the thing about Chaos.....it's fair.

http://halftimehennessy.com/

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Andrew Hogfan on February 18, 2012, 03:57:47 am
They're tired of getting their asses beat in Dallas. They think playing a home and home will help them win...it won't .

Amen I hope we hang 40+ on them at College Station.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DeltaBoy

The Aggies failed to make the money because the DFW Aggie Fans rather stay home and watch the butt whipping on TV.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

tiber

Quote from: FootballAllTheWay on February 19, 2012, 02:23:46 pm
The general vibe here seems to be we want it moved out of Dallas because we are tired of getting beat.  That's not the reason. We want the game out of Dallas because:

1. Our home schedule will suck unless we get another good team on there so take that as a compliment. Without adding Arkansas to our home schedule our home schedule is horrible. ( Florida, So Carolina State, LSU, Sam Houston Sate, Missouri) Would you want to fork out big bucks for those? Even with adding Arkansas to our home schedule we will only have 6 home games.

2. we did not make the money we thought we were going to make on the deal. It's not been anywhere close. 

Finally as far as it being a recruiting advantage for yall to play in Dallas why do you care if it's A&M or some other team?  It's still a game for you in Dallas. Go for it.

No aggie has made a single compelling point as to why we should want to move away from the Dallas game... and no one here really cares about the things your program considers important.

Your problems are not our problems, and that's the bottom line.  You can spout reason after reason, but they all revolve around your program, and don't have a thing to do with ours.  Other than you wanting out of Dallas where you apparently can't win.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: uams1989 on February 19, 2012, 04:18:05 pm
Spin it how you want but aTm wants their home conf games at home...just like half or more if you on this board do.

It sounds more like YOU'RE spinning it however you want to. 

Jimmy

Well here's the mighty Longhorn home schedule for 2012:  Wyoming, New Mexico, West Virginia, Baylor, Iowa St., TCU.   On top of that, they go to the state of Kansas twice to play. 

Tim Harris

Quote from: Jimmy on February 20, 2012, 11:01:02 am
On top of that, they go to the state of Kansas twice to play. 

I hear Kansas is beautiful that time of year......or at least as nice as it is any other time!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Jimmy on February 20, 2012, 11:01:02 am
Well here's the mighty Longhorn home schedule for 2012:  Wyoming, New Mexico, West Virginia, Baylor, Iowa St., TCU.   On top of that, they go to the state of Kansas twice to play. 

Smart on their part.  Because if they win out they're still almost certain to play for the NC. 

Wilbur81

Quote from: Quito on February 19, 2012, 09:17:36 am
Guess you didn't hear the Long interview on the Bo Mattingly show?  Do you really think that Long and CBP are ok with the prospect of only 3 games at RRS in '13?  Think about it, 2 in LR, 1 in Dallas, 1 in Piscataway,  4 SEC road games...that leaves you with 2 SEC home games and a non conference joker like LA Monroe. 

2+1+1+4+2+1=11

Redhogs

Quote from: uams1989 on February 19, 2012, 03:08:05 pm
I don't really have a dog in the fight but how can Hog fans say they want all SEC games in Fayetteville then knock the Ags for wanting the game moved to home and home?

Sounds a little hypocritical to me.
Really??? We are still playing in that dump (WMS) because we have a CONTRACT and are living up to it. Do you see the difference now? AFTER the contract is up, hopefully we get out of there for that very reason...geeze....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: rickm1976 on February 20, 2012, 08:32:42 am
Personally, I'm excited to go back to Kyle Field, with all the history of our years in the SWC.  Playing home and home is just part of being in the same conference.  We'll win anyway, so who cares where it is!
Good, we'll see you in 7 years.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Redhogs on February 20, 2012, 11:53:08 am
Really??? We are still playing in that dump (WMS) because we have a CONTRACT and are living up to it. Do you see the difference now? AFTER the contract is up, hopefully we get out of there for that very reason...geeze....

And if there is one thing we Hogs stand for it's living up to a contract!!! Letting it play out its natural course!!!  Isn't that right Mr. Richardson?  Back me up here Mr. Petrino!

budcampbellfan

If AM doesn't want to play us in Jerrys World so what.  In a state of over 35 million there are lots of other powerhouse football universities with large fan bases to choose from.  I just can't think of one right this minute.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Redhogs on February 20, 2012, 11:53:08 am

And we could get out of it if we want.....our administration has decided they don't so we continue to play in WMS. 

Westcoasthog

As it looks from Sunday's press release the Arkansas-Texas A&M game will moved on a home and home in 2012 and 2013 - Arkansas at Texas A&M 2012, and Texas A&M in
2013 at Arkansas.  Jeff Long and Jerry Jones should not gave given in to their pressure
to move the game out of Cowboy Stadium in 2012 and 2013.  Jeff Long said the game
would return to Cowboy Stadium in 2014, or another team would be playing Arkansas in
2014 at Cowboy Stadium.  Your thoughts.

dynastyhog

Quote from: Westcoasthog on February 20, 2012, 12:29:33 pm
    As it looks from Sunday's press release the Arkansas-Texas A&M game will moved on a home and home in 2012 and 2013 - Arkansas at Texas A&M 2012, and Texas A&M in
2013 at Arkansas.  Jeff Long and Jerry Jones should not gave given in to their pressure
to move the game out of Cowboy Stadium in 2012 and 2013.  Jeff Long said the game
would return to Cowboy Stadium in 2014, or another team would be playing Arkansas in
2014 at Cowboy Stadium.  Your thoughts.

Not sure but another poster posted that Jerry could have alienated some Cowboy fans by holding aTm's feet to the fire.  That makes sense to me. We'll still have a presence in Texas beating aTm's @$$ on their own turf. 
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

Tim Harris

No one gave in.  You do realize every contract has an out no matter what the other party thinks

Doug

It was actually done to accommodate for TAMU's schedule this year (they would have only had 5 home games otherwise) and the Hogs schedule next year (Would have been three games not at RRS/WMS in a row, which is brutal - @Bama, @Rutgers, vs TAMU @Dallas).

Edit to add in: Let's also not forget (yet again) that conference games at a neutral location cannot host any Official Recruit visits. This hurts both TAMU & Hogs if playing in Dallas the next two years.

Trust me, this was a smart move on everyone's part.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

99toLife

Quote from: Douglas on February 20, 2012, 12:44:10 pm
It was actually done to accommodate for TAMU's schedule this year (they would have only had 5 home games otherwise) and the Hogs schedule next year (Would have been three games not at RRS/WMS in a row, which is brutal - @Bama, @Rutgers, vs TAMU @Dallas).

Edit to add in: Let's also not forget (yet again) that conference games at a neutral location cannot host any Official Recruit visits. This hurts both TAMU & Hogs if playing in Dallas the next two years.

Trust me, this was a smart move on everyone's part.

Agree, The Doug Speaks wise...

arcowboy

Are the games going to be at Kyle Field.  I thought they were going to rebuild Kyle Field and their home games would be in Houston at Reliant Stadium.

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

hogfan064

Quote from: arcowboy on February 20, 2012, 12:51:42 pm
Are the games going to be at Kyle Field.  I thought they were going to rebuild Kyle Field and their home games would be in Houston at Reliant Stadium.

I have never heard anything like this.  A&M will without a doubt have all their games at Kyle Field.

DeltaBoy

Jerry still making money off of it some way some how.... He would never play nice with TAMU unless he is going to profit off it.

Tim Harris

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 20, 2012, 12:56:56 pm
Jerry still making money off of it some way some how.... He would never play nice with TAMU unless he is going to profit off it.

He wouldn't play nice with anyone unless he is making money.

Tim Harris

Quote from: arcowboy on February 20, 2012, 12:51:42 pm

Tha thas been covered in every A&M thread on here.  They will be playing their games @ Kyle Field next year.

EastexHawg

Quote from: GalaHawg on February 18, 2012, 12:48:47 pm
If Ole Miss wanted to play us in Little Rock every year just so they can recruit central Arkansas better and kicked our butts every single time we play there - would we wanna continue playing them there?

The Aggies should have thought of that before agreeing to the series.  They signed a contract to play in Dallas.  THEY are chickening out, not Arkansas. 

All the "Jeff Long has reasons to want the game in RRS in 2013, too" is nothing more than Aggies trying to make excuses.  They got tired of getting their butts whipped in Dallas and they think moving the games to campuses will give them a better chance of winning every other year.

I hope we destroy them in Kyle Field next year.  I was...still am...for the breakup of the Bevo 12 conference, but more and more I'm reminded of how irritating and obnoxious the Aggies were back in our SWC days.  They have the arrogance of Texas without the accomplishments.

Doug

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)