Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

[RUMOR] - Texas A&M gets the nod to join the SEC, announcement tmw!

Started by Doug, September 06, 2011, 09:44:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

Okay, two different sources, two different items, both corroborate each other, though.

Item #1:  Texas A&M was reportedly unanimously approved, 12-0, to be accepted into the SEC.

Item 2: Texas A&M Campus Transportation Department has closed Lot 62 (Adjacent to Kyle Field) to all motor traffic for tomorrow. I have two sources confirming this.  One is at http://transport.tamu.edu/construction.aspx#363 (See for yourself, scroll down a little bit to first advisory).  This lot is directly adjacent to the old Media Entrance. While the site above is listing it for construction, the timing is entirely too coincidental.

Due to most conference agreements requiring 365 days advance notice, I expect the 2012-13 SEC conference to carry 13 teams (unless another team has already been lined up and received approval, retroactive to the 1st of this month, which wouldn't surprise me). Do not be surprised if we roll out a 9 conference game schedule next year to accommodate TAMU.

Baylor is pissed, but does anyone honestly give half a crap about 'em?

Some other very very unconfirmed things that I'm hearing/feeling:
Oklahoma will announce departure to Pac 12 in 2 months or less (we already knew this one).
If PAC12 won't take Okie State as a package deal, expect OSU to move to Mountain West.
Kansas & Kansas State are looking very heavily at Big East.
Don't be surprised if Iowa State moves to Conference USA.
Texas might not get a Pac 12 bid. This leaves them with the ACC (which won't happen), forcing Texas to go Independent.
Missouri is still hanging on for a Big 10 bid. SEC *might* take 'em IF we can shore up a 16th team on the east side (WVA is a last ditch resort).
Baylor and Texas Tech are left out in the cold. I could see both going to Sun Belt, though TTU might go to C-USA.

Let's see how things shake out the next 24-48 hours. :D
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

NaturalStateReb

Baylor and Texas Tech aren't going to the Sun Belt.  Sarcasm, right?
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Steef

Quote from: Douglas on September 06, 2011, 09:44:10 pm

Not me!  ;)

Doug

NSReb, dead serious about TTU and Baylor. Something inside me says this feels like a good move for them.

Hawghiggs, need it from a more credible source than Scout. Nothing will be announced until biz hours. :)
--Doug

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

redeye

September 06, 2011, 09:56:37 pm #5 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:00:23 pm by redeye
Okay, two different sources, two different items, both corroborate each other, though.

Item #1:  Texas A&M was reportedly unanimously approved, 12-0, to be accepted into the SEC.

Item 2: Texas A&M Campus Transportation Department has closed Lot 62 (Adjacent to Kyle Field) to all motor traffic for tomorrow. I have two sources confirming this.  One is at http://transport.tamu.edu/construction.aspx#363 (See for yourself, scroll down a little bit to first advisory).  This lot is directly adjacent to the old Media Entrance. While the site above is listing it for construction, the timing is entirely too coincidental.

Due to most conference agreements requiring 365 days advance notice, I expect the 2012-13 SEC conference to carry 13 teams (unless another team has already been lined up and received approval, retroactive to the 1st of this month, which wouldn't surprise me). Do not be surprised if we roll out a 9 conference game schedule next year to accommodate TAMU.

Oklahoma will announce departure to Pac 12 in 2 months or less (we already knew this one).
If PAC12 won't take Okie State as a package deal, expect OSU to move to Mountain West.
Texas might not get a Pac 12 bid. This leaves them with the ACC (which won't happen), forcing Texas to go Independent.
Missouri is still hanging on for a Big 10 bid. SEC *might* take 'em IF we can shore up a 16th team on the east side (WVA is a last ditch resort).
Baylor and Texas Tech are left out in the cold. I could see both going to Sun Belt, though TTU might go to C-USA.

Did you mean to say:

QuoteSEC *might* take 'em IF we can shore up a 14th team on the east side

If not, then who are the 14th and 15th teams?

update: I think I understand what you're saying now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're saying that Mizzou is not the 14th team, but could be the 15th if a 16th team can be found. Is that right?

So now I'm left wondering who the 14th team is?

TNhogfan

No way Baylor and Texas Tech would go to the Sun Belt.  Too much history, pride and money for either of them to fall that far.  Texas Tech would fit with the MWC and Baylor with their old SWC foes in C-USA.

razorbackkid

Texas needs to join the Mexi-American league.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on September 06, 2011, 09:56:37 pm
Did you mean to say:

If not, then who are the 14th and 15th teams?

He's saying the SEC will take a team from the east at #14 before going after Mizzou.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Doug

September 06, 2011, 10:00:44 pm #9 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:03:32 pm by Douglas
As I said, I suspect the SEC already has Team #14 in the wings... just waiting for everything else to fall into place (TAMU needed to be secured and freed of any contractual obligations to Big12/LHN/etc).

I could see WVA being the 16th team, though personally, that's not who I would have gone after.

Quote from: Bubba's BruisersHe's saying the SEC will take a team from the east at #14 before going after Mizzou.
Almost, but not quite.

IF the SEC does go for Mizzou, they'll be team #15, and it will be contingent on Team #16 (WVA?!) being ready to move at the same time.  The SEC is only going to do the unbalanced conference structure ONE time.

Then again, they could sweep 14, 15 AND 16 all at the same time.  Who knows. This whole Conference Musicle Chairs is so dizzying, it even messes Ole Miss By Damn up!
--Doug

redeye

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on September 06, 2011, 09:59:45 pm
He's saying the SEC will take a team from the east at #14 before going after Mizzou.

Makes sense. That would work much better, imo.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Douglas on September 06, 2011, 10:00:44 pm
As I said, I suspect the SEC already has Team #14 in the wings... just waiting for everything else to fall into place (TAMU needed to be secured and freed of any contractual obligations to Big12/LHN/etc).

I could see WVA being the 16th team, though personally, that's not who I would have gone after.

What is your prediction of the 14th team?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Doug

I've outlined that in the past, but posts get buried so quickly on here, haha!

Miami (prior to their fiasco) was my #1 choice and made sense logistically.

I could see South Florida surprising everyone and sneaking in, though I put them at a VERY long shot of actually making this kind of a jump.

Smart money would be Florida State.
--Doug

Inhogswetrust

I haven't cared what they thought ever since Grant Teaff made his comment when we left the SWC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

online-with-swine

Quote from: Douglas on September 06, 2011, 10:00:44 pm

Almost, but not quite.

IF the SEC does go for Mizzou, they'll be team #15, and it will be contingent on Team #16 (WVA?!) being ready to move at the same time.  The SEC is only going to do the unbalanced conference structure ONE time.

Then again, they could sweep 14, 15 AND 16 all at the same time.  Who knows. This whole Conference Musicle Chairs is so dizzying, it even messes Ole Miss By Damn up!

So who is the real number 14 team if WV and Mizz are #s 15 and 16?  NC state?  Maryland?  VTech?

Bubba's Bruisers

September 06, 2011, 10:07:59 pm #15 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:10:01 pm by Bubba's Bruisers
Quote from: redeye on September 06, 2011, 10:01:33 pm
Makes sense. That would work much better, imo.

And I just can't believe Mizzou would be that high of a priority for the SEC.  Especially considering they can't possibly have that much leverage in all of this.  I have to believe they would come sprinting to the first offer from either the SEC or the Big10.  The SEC can look around for a while, and then offer Mizzou if all else fails.  Seems to me, Mizzou fits geographically, but that's about all they offer.  I just wouldn't think their TV market is that substantial.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Douglas on September 06, 2011, 10:06:01 pm

I could see South Florida surprising everyone and sneaking in, though I put them at a VERY long shot of actually making this kind of a jump.

That seems to be the common assumption.  Besides a very good FB team, what do they offer the SEC financially?

deucea729

Douglas, your bottom scenarios seem to leave the PAC-12 only expanding to 13 teams (adding only OU). This seems highly unlikely, which is why I would imagine that at least Texas gets an invite to make 14. But the PAC-16 scenario with UT, OU, OSU, and Texas Tech makes the most sense to me.

If your OU-only scenario plays out, who else do you see the PAC adding?

Doug

Quote from: KnilesKankleSo who is the real number 14 team if WV and Mizz are #s 15 and 16?  NC state?  Maryland?  VTech?
Reply #12.

Quote from: Bubba's BruisersAnd I just can't believe Mizzou would be that high of a priority for the SEC.  Especially considering they can't possibly have that much leverage in all of this.  I have to believe they would come sprinting to the first offer from either the SEC or the Big10.  The SEC can look around for a while, and then offer Mizzou if all else fails.  Seems to me, Mizzou fits geographically, but that's about all they offer.  I just wouldn't think their TV market is that substantial.
Mizzou and WVA are not first choices for #15/#16. Both teams would jump to the SEC, if offered.  But they're not the desired first dances the SEC wants.

BTW, you're wrong about Mizzou.  They have two major TV markets and I believe three minor ones, across 4 states.
--Doug

hawganatic

Texas is the reason why the Big 12 is falling apart.  Why would anybody invite a selfish/conference destroying program like Texas into their conference?  That's inviting the thief to dinner just before he robs you blind...

Independent is probably going to be their only choice.  And even then I hope every major program refuses to play them...

Porked Tongue

I just don't see Fl St as #14.  Do not go to sleep on VT.

Pigsknuckles

FSU is my guess too. And while were not giving a crap, I could care less if that pisses off Florida. Sure hate this for teams like Okie State though. It's just food chain thing. I'm from Tulsa, so (unlike OU) I hold no animosity for them. Still, T-Bone can pour more millions into that program, and they will still be just Oklahoma State. Hope they have a soft landing.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

oppybrit

If OU is invited by it self ,who's to say the SEC would not take Okie lite too?

Doug

Quote from: deucea729If your OU-only scenario plays out, who else do you see the PAC adding?
I'll make a post about super conferences shortly... cause the answers to this is going to create a lot of questions, haha!
--Doug

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Douglas on September 06, 2011, 10:13:43 pm

Mizzou and WVA are not first choices for #15/#16. Both teams would jump to the SEC, if offered.  But they're not the desired first dances the SEC wants.

I pretty much already said that.

Quote from: Douglas on September 06, 2011, 10:13:43 pm

BTW, you're wrong about Mizzou.  They have two major TV markets and I believe three minor ones, across 4 states.

I get that, but MO is first and foremost a pro-sports team state.  Chiefs, Cardinals, and Rams are ahead of Mizzou anything.  Heck, St. Louis is probably more U of Illinois than Mizzou.

HOGSWEAT

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks FSU is SEC bound. To be honest Douglas, I'd be suprised if theres not a deal in place already.

Doug

Quote from: Bubba's BruisersThat seems to be the common assumption.  Besides a very good FB team, what do they offer the SEC financially?
A solid TV market base that seems to be lacking around the Tallahassee area/region.

Quote from: hawganaticIndependent is probably going to be their only choice.  And even then I hope every major program refuses to play them...
They'll become the Anti-Boise State (Boise demands a $1M price tag for OOC games). Texas will have to PAY to get people to play 'em.  There will always be a demand for 'em, though it may not be the caliber of big names that Texas wants. :)

Quote from: Porked TongueI just don't see Fl St as #14.  Do not go to sleep on VT.
I already shot down VT (They would be my logical choice, of course).  Got solid confirmation from a pretty connected ACC guy that VT ain't going nowhere outside of the ACC.  I'll put a Benjamin on that one.  Take that to the bank.

Quote from: oppybritIf OU is invited by it self ,who's to say the SEC would not take Okie lite too?
They have the money, but not the ardent hard core fan base nor the TV market to sustain an SEC type market.

Quote from: AR Taco04Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks FSU is SEC bound. To be honest Douglas, I'd be suprised if theres not a deal in place already.
Agreed. It wouldn't surprise me if they're #14, but due to the gentleman's agreement between the SEC/ACC, the  ACC/FSU may be waiting to announce until ACC has a school (or five) to replace them.  Long standing agreement between ACC/SEC: They won't raid each other's teams without having everything lined up nicely and cleanly (there's a lot of mutual respect between ACC/SEC staffers).
--Doug

josh_sec33

ok, scary about Douglas getting the scoop on everything lately. Apparently he's got the pipeline to the real info lately.

Popcorn's ready. Going to be a FUN season while it's playing out and everyone is worrying about where they are going.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

HawgPound

September 06, 2011, 10:53:02 pm #28 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 10:55:20 pm by HawgPound
I read on another board the votes were actually 10 for, 1 against (Ole Miss?) and 1 abstained.  Regardless it looks like A&M will be in the SEC.

If the rumors are to be believed the Presidents also gave Slive permission to talk to WVU and Missouri. I have read nothing about him talking to other schools. IMO, I think it would make Missouri the first choice since the Big 12 is toast. I can't see Slive taking a shot at another conference unless the opportunity presents itself or out of desperation.

redeye

Ahh... okay. I thought you were stating all facts. Didn't realize you were giving us your opinion.

Personally, I can't see Miami or USF. I actually believe USF would be more likely than Miami, but other than an up-and-coming alumni base, I'm not sure what else they'd have to offer.

My best guesses are WVA and then FSU, but I wouldn't bet on anyone, specifically. VT would be a good guess, but I find it hard to imagine VT accepting an invitation, after they've been so adamant on having no interest. It's one thing for a school to deny any interest once, but when they repeatedly deny interest, and sound irritated that they keep being asked, then I start to believe them.

Doug

September 06, 2011, 10:58:42 pm #30 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:01:02 pm by Douglas
Quote from: josh_sec33ok, scary about Douglas getting the scoop on everything lately. Apparently he's got the pipeline to the real info lately.

Popcorn's ready. Going to be a FUN season while it's playing out and everyone is worrying about where they are going.
Proof positive that more people need to follow me (on both the GH account and my own Twitter account). (Assuming you're not being sarcastic, rofl).

I've made some great connections via Twitter and interact with some really dynamic people.  And because of the research I'm doing via GH on CFB Historical data, I am and have learned a lot about different schools histories.

I love the work that I do for Hogville and GH, because it's helping educate me and getting connections that I've not had in the past. The trust/respect goes both ways.  Gotta give respect/trust in order to earn it... and always have credible/verifiable sources (Even Lanny asked me about some of my sources tonight regarding TAMU).

I want to go places in the CFB world and to use my passion for everything that I do to benefit the every day fan.  At the end of the day, if I can provide something insightful and get people excited or more passionate, then my job for that day is done. :D

Quote from: ItcouldBworseI know you are working on another post Douglas but if Mizzou is the backup 15/16 for the west who is the #1?  Or have I gotten confused and you've already said?  My head is spinning........might be the late night beer though.
Got my ordering wrong, apparently, though the teams themselves are correct.  And what I said about the ACC/SEC agreement/respect was bolstered by what I heard from yet another person just a few moments ago. The SEC nor the ACC will willingly take a team from the other's conference without having everything ironed out and replacement teams lined up.
--Doug

murfvol

I'd rather take OSU (assuming we have to take them if we want OU) than WVU. Quite frankly WVU should not EVER be on the list.

PorkerOinker

New SEC divisions for the 2013 football season.

West:
Arkansas
Alabama
Auburn
LSU
Miss St
Ole Miss
Tex A&M
Mizzzou

East:
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
South Carolina
Kentucky
Florida St.
Clemson

I think WVU and possibly South Florida get flirted with, but in the end I think Clemson gets the nod. I agree with Douglas on the gentleman's agreement with the ACC. I look for the ACC to have two of the following 3-4 teams lined up to replace Florida St. and Clemson. Those teams are WVU, Louisville, South Florida, or PITT.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Philip Seaton

Good info Douglas, but Oklahoma is NOT going anywhere without Oklahoma State. The two are married at the hip regardless of which conference they end up.

Doug

I think that marriage is about to break up.... I really think that Oklahoma State would flourish in the MWC very well and be able to forge its own identity after all these years.  Who knows... they could eventually be bigger than Oklahoma (Okay, I know i'm reaching here, but stranger things have happened).
--Doug

YeeeeHawg

Hold, Hold,,, please stay at 12!!!!!

Grunt

ou vs tx & ou vs osu ain't goin' away, ever
The above is likely to be highly biased and may not be defensible.

snoblind

Quote from: YeeeeHawg on September 06, 2011, 11:24:35 pm
Hold, Hold,,, please stay at 12!!!!!

Get with the program, man.  12 is so 2010...

HogNuttz

September 06, 2011, 11:33:37 pm #38 Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 11:41:59 pm by HogNuttz
I'm sick of the expansion crap already.  We have 12 teams which is what it takes to have a conference championship game.  I enjoy playing the east teams on a rotating schedule.  OU ain't comin', I don't want Texas, and no other teams will help build the SEC brand.  Why in the world are we expanding?

Think about how good the Tennessee games were in 97 - 98,  the Florida game shortly thereafter, beating Georgia last year.....all that will go away if this expansion crap continues.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

YeeeeHawg

sick of the expansion crap already.  We have 12 teams which is what it takes to have a conference championship game.

Thats what Im talkin' about!!   ???

josh_sec33

Quote from: Douglas on September 06, 2011, 10:58:42 pm
Proof positive that more people need to follow me (on both the GH account and my own Twitter account). (Assuming you're not being sarcastic, rofl).

Nope, I was dead serious. You went from a message board coder to a person with verifiable sources. and that's nice because it's great to see the depth of resources growing at hogville. I just teach at a high school. I got the inside scoop at my school, which would help with recruiting at one school, but beyond that...I gots nothing.
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Torqued pork

September 07, 2011, 12:04:37 am #41 Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 03:18:42 am by Bubbaswinestein
I spent more time reading OU and Okie St. boards over the weekend than I care to admit. It was surprising to read how many OU fans think the Sooners are better off being in the same league with T. Boone U. even if it means trying to salvage the Bevo Conference again. Even the presidents of both schools are pretty much saying one isn't going anywhere without the other.

Pyotr Tchaikhogsky

You guys have got to follow @PeterBurnsRadio on twitter.  Dude's hilarious.

"Texas A&M to the SEC is not official until we see white smoke emanating from the Waffle House chimney in Birmingham"

"Big 12 = Titanic. Texas was the iceberg. Neb, CU & A&M got the lifeboats. Baylor/Tech/ISU are playing in the band."

"RT @BarkingCarnival Oklahoma is Unsinkable Molly Brown"

"If the Big 12 is indeed the Titanic, you can rest assure it's not Kansas that's getting the nude portrait painted."
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink.  When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."  -Frank Sinatra

pedrothelion

I can't see OK St.,Texas Tech, and Baylor going to a non-BCS conference.  You would think they would do everything they can to get into the Big East or ACC.  There's too much money at stake...not to mention that it would devastate there recruiting.  Especially for OK St., who are now starting to build a respectable program.  I suppose they may not have any other choice though.

DeltaBoy

Scruggs reported the vote was 10-2 last night on the 10 pm news.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

josh_sec33

ESPN reported unanimous, but held up pending Baylor's butthurt tantrum.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Tim Harris

And it looks like Baylor is not going to pursue legal action.  Time to find that 14th team now.....

DeltaBoy

GuvHog

Quote from: Ar_Hog on September 06, 2011, 11:24:24 pm
Of course Okie Lite would flourish in the MWC, but no more Bedlam ???
Your reaching way out there Douglas, just sayin!

What in the world leads you to believe that there would be no more Bedlam if they went to different conferences?? Be serious. They would without a doubt continue it as a yearly non-conference game. Douglas isn't reaching at all, he's absolutely correct.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!