Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Zeke Pikes Final FOUR

Started by RazorCrackFan, April 18, 2011, 05:51:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

I wouldn't feel bad if he ends up at Michigan, they are my 2nd favorite team. Pro style offense, good tradition, easier path to playing time; I could make that sell.  I agree that Auburn just makes no sense. Sure you can put up video game numbers running Malzahn's offense, which will get you drafted. But with the combo of having the impossible task to beat out KF, and the fact Malzahn wouldn't be there by the time you see the field. Possible sanctions, no preparation of complex plays for future preparation, the plains...you'd have to pay me to go there.

IronHog

OK lets think this through for just a second:

Dad is a former NFL player........

Purdue:  All I can think of is big boned midwestern co-eds.  Fit:  ?

Michigan:  Historical producer of NFL QB's.  Program is historically good, but unstable at this time.  Can be "the man"  Fit:  "good"

Auburn:  Just won the NC in a fit of controversy and a unbelievably easy schedule fortified by SEC officiating.  The OC is not long for that school and he just signed a 5 star QB from his own recruiting service and HS program in NWA.  The offensive system is good, but literally a HS system based on WR sweeps, zone reads, and flash cards to send in the play.  Fit:  "horrible"

Arkansas:  Prostyle system currently stockpiling skill and WR talent.  Former NFL OC HC is locked in for years.  One 4* QB currently the starter with two probably never going to play QB's as backup.  Asst. coaches son to be on campus as  true frosh QB in the fall.  Fit:  "high risk, high reward"

I'd say Michigan......Auburn could only be a WTH moment.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

hogwild210

Quote from: IronHog on April 18, 2011, 11:18:24 pm
OK lets think this through for just a second:

Dad is a former NFL player........

Purdue:  All I can think of is big boned midwestern co-eds.  Fit:  ?

Michigan:  Historical producer of NFL QB's.  Program is historically good, but unstable at this time.  Can be "the man"  Fit:  "good"

Auburn:  Just won the NC in a fit of controversy and a unbelievably easy schedule fortified by SEC officiating.  The OC is not long for that school and he just signed a 5 star QB from his own recruiting service and HS program in NWA.  The offensive system is good, but literally a HS system based on WR sweeps, zone reads, and flash cards to send in the play.  Fit:  "horrible"

Arkansas:  Prostyle system currently stockpiling skill and WR talent.  Former NFL OC HC is locked in for years.  One 4* QB currently the starter with two probably never going to play QB's as backup.  Asst. coaches son to be on campus as  true frosh QB in the fall.  Fit:  "high risk, high reward"

I'd say Michigan......Auburn could only be a WTH moment.

He first says he wants to commit in the Fall. He then takes a weekend trip to Auburn, and suddenly decides he wants to commit in the Spring. Would you really be surprised to see him go there?
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

IronHog

Quote from: hogwild210 on April 18, 2011, 11:23:02 pm
He first says he wants to commit in the Fall. He then takes a weekend trip to Auburn, and suddenly decides he wants to commit in the Spring. Would you really be surprised to see him go there?

No.  The fact that he has Auburn in his top schools probably means he isn't a good fit for Arkansas anyway.

I couldn't think of two more opposite programs.

jkstock04

I will not be surprised...in fact I am sort of expecting it.  However I still think it is DUMB.  That is the most tainted program in the country.  Those wanting to be associated with it after everything that has happened are a different breed.  I guess I'm just old fashioned.

I guess money does talk.  That is the only way I can see them still being able to recruit outstanding OUT OF STATE.  How much longer will they get away with it?  If Pike commits to Auburn I will absolutely believe he or his family and or friends (or whatever form of freakish type channeling money/assets is going on) are getting paid in some form or fashion. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

rogersvillemohog

Don't get your hopes up. All I'll say is, Auburn has a lot of good money just lying around.
:razorback: :razorback:
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

yraciv

Well he hit all schools on a list in a two week period. He said all these visits were as close to officials as can be. Good QB always seem to commit early, and if he has seen all these schools and been in contact with these coaches for a year, why wait?  Auburn was his last visit on this vacation no matter what, it's not like he cancelled the rest of his trip.  Yeah it's fresh on his mind, and he might have just said I'm sold. It's also a possibility that he went home weighted everything we've been talking about, and decided this school is the best fit.

Hogz87

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on April 18, 2011, 10:34:56 pm
Why the heck is there "4 hats" anyway?  The kid obviously knows where he is going to school, hence the reason he is announcing his decision.  I don't understand why he has to have 2, or 4, or 8, or 64 hats out on the table.  Just bring one hat, the school at which you plan to pursue your undergraduate education, and put it on when you say "I will be attending... to get a degree in..."

I think some kid, just to have fun with the whole thing, should bring out like 50 or 60 hats (even from schools that didn't offer him) and just eliminate them in some sort of creative manner.  Or, get like 5-10 hats, turn them upside down, get some ping-pong balls, put a line down on the ground about 20 feet from the hats blindfolded, and just start throwing ping-pong balls.  Whichever hat you make a ping-pong ball in is where you're going to school.  Then, of course, just tell everyone you're kidding because this a very important life-decision, walk over, and pick up the hat of the school you're really attending.

Or, have someone fashion a dartboard with the 5-10 schools you've narrowed your list down to, take a handful of darts, and go out throwing them (blind-folded of course) and whichever school you hit first is where you're going.

If you don't want to get that crazy with it, then maybe just have someone blind-fold you, walk you out to the table, then have someone lay the hats out in random order, and pick a hat blind-folded.  But, like with the last one, you say you're just kidding and make your real decision. 

Yes, these are the type of immature and stupid things I've thought of over the years when I watch kids do "cutsy" things while picking a school via putting on a hat.

systemroot

Personally, I'm tired of reading the comments about Auburn being dirty. Get over it; they will get caught and will be punished eventually and then we all will get to point and laugh.

What are the chances of this kid picking Arkansas? You think he's looking at the fact that all of the big-time receivers will be gone at Arkansas by the time he gets here? (Just wondering what everyone thought here)

31to6

Quote from: systemroot on April 19, 2011, 12:54:49 am
What are the chances of this kid picking Arkansas? You think he's looking at the fact that all of the big-time receivers will be gone at Arkansas by the time he gets here? (Just wondering what everyone thought here)
If he starts as a sophomore he'll throw to Wade, Herndon, Humphrey and Funderburke probably until he goes pro after his Junior season.

I don't think that is a concern.

Foshodo

dang... lot quicker than i hoped for.... hope he REALLY liked it on the Hill.

chortle

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 18, 2011, 11:30:33 pm
I will not be surprised...in fact I am sort of expecting it.  However I still think it is DUMB.  That is the most tainted program in the country.  Those wanting to be associated with it after everything that has happened are a different breed.  I guess I'm just old fashioned.

I guess money does talk.  That is the only way I can see them still being able to recruit outstanding OUT OF STATE.  How much longer will they get away with it?  If Pike commits to Auburn I will absolutely believe he or his family and or friends (or whatever form of freakish type channeling money/assets is going on) are getting paid in some form or fashion. 

Two things about ZP and his recruitment.

If you watch his highlight videos, he does more running over 5'10", 180 pound guys than he does passing the ball, ala Scam Newton. If you take your cardinal colored glasses off for just a second, Auburn is a perfect fit in terms of his style. Can ZP throw the ball? Yes. Is he the reincarnation of Ryan Mallett? No.

For those that say Auburn isn't a good fit because of his potential in the NFL, it's hard to argue that point when, right or wrong, Scam will be drafted in the first round, maybe ahead of Mallett.

The second point, is that if ZP is on the take, ala Scam Newton, then there is a pretty clear road map that the NCAA ain't gonna do jack $h!t to Allbarn and he can take the money and run. Despite all the smoke with Scam, the NCAA has proven that some programs aren't gonna be touched. Hell, look at Tressell and tOSU.

Music City Hog

April 19, 2011, 07:58:26 am #62 Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 08:01:49 am by Music City Hog
Both Bill King and JC Shutburtt said they believe Pike to Auburn. It's been pretty obvious but looks like it's just a formality now.

It will be interesting to see who wins out longterm between Frazier and Pike. One will have a short collegiate career.

hogwild210

Personally, I'm tired of reading the comments about Auburn being dirty. Get over it; they will get caught and will be punished eventually and then we all will get to point and laugh.

I've tried that before. Didn't work out so well.
Quote from: Steef on May 26, 2017, 12:28:23 pm
Still, one can never go wrong with excrement at a time like this.

EastexHawg

Quote from: ChildPlease... on April 18, 2011, 10:41:32 pm
????

Jason Campbell didn't do a damn thing in college until 2004, his SR season, when CBP was at Lousiville. (And, in fact, Campbell's OC those last seasons? None other than Michigan's own Al Borges...)

Mark Brunell?
I have no clue what you're talking about. He played college at Washington...a place CBP has never been.

Why waste words?

SemperFi

I hope Zeke Pike doesn't take the short term dollars that allbarn offers as incentives, but instead considers his long term goals of making millions in the NFL. Scam Newton is an amazing athlete, but does anyone here actually believe that he's going to have a long and productive NFL career? The offenses that he's going to see are extremely complicated and after the Gruden QB camp it's obvious that he will be nothing more than a project and after everyone realizes that he is a bust then GM's offense will be seen for what it is.....gimmicky.

If he does not end up at Arkansas then I hope he does not choose AU, because he appears to be a solid character kid and deserves not to be on a team that is on probation for cheating.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

wholehog92

I don't care if you are tired of it or not.  I am tired of them blatantly cheating and nothing happening.  They are scewing the system dramatically by doing things like this and it affects our program.  That game would have looked very different without $cam on their team.  How would that have changed our season?  What about the other high priced guys on their team?  I'm pissed and I'll bitch about it as often as I feel led wether you are tired of hearing it or not.  This kid is another prime example.  There is no reason this kid should even consider attending there.  Assuming he goes to the cheating bastards, It will greatly affect our team.  Either by subtraction from us or adding to our opponent.  This will be true for at least 3 years and has been true for 2 all because the NCAA isn't doing their job.  Five years we are directly affected by cheating as a program and you think we should just shut up and wait.

To hell with that.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

TeedupHigh

The HOG Board, We are poor little ol' ARKANSAS, we don't have a chance to land players of ZP's type, because of teams like AU and all of their money and Michigan because they have Barnett and all of his requiting talent and then Clemson and that great winning tradition and all we have is HEAD COACH BOBBY PETRINO and we all know what a loser he is because he left the ATL with 3 games left to play to come to ARKANSAS and he was so stupid he played RM over TW because he could not see all of RM's problems and trouble and everyone in America could see it but him, Oh my what a shame to be poor little ol ARKANSAS!

IronHog

Quote from: chortle on April 19, 2011, 06:47:13 am

For those that say Auburn isn't a good fit because of his potential in the NFL, it's hard to argue that point when, right or wrong, Scam will be drafted in the first round, maybe ahead of Mallett.

When Newton is a complete bust the NFL won't be in such a hurry to make the same mistake twice.............

ChildPlease...

Right, because anyone unaware of CBP's brief relationship as an asst coach with Mark Brunell is clearly a moron.

I'm still wondering what a couple years with Mark Brunell when he was already a pro does to dispute the fact that Michigan has been an absolute QB factory over the last 20 years and Ark/CBP have collectively sent the altogether unsuccessful trio of Stoerner, Matt Jones, and Brian Brohm to the league.

(Again, CBP is an awesome QB coach and I love him. This is for the folks who want to act like going to Michigan would be career suicide for Zeke as compared to coming here)

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 19, 2011, 09:07:01 am
Why waste words?

ChicoHog

Michigan is perfect if he wants to step in and possibly play right away or have one redshirt year.  Great QB tradition, new coach with proven assistants and pro style offense and chance to lead the Wolverines back to prominence.  His skill set may fit Auburn's spread style offense better but UM seems to be the place for immediate playing time as long as he has the QB passing skills/reading defenses. 

aloha_kid

Quote from: regi on April 18, 2011, 06:28:47 pm
If his dad (who I think played in the NFL) is watching this Cam Newton joke of an Interview with Gruden, he should no better than to send his son to AU, if he wants him in the NFL. Gus' offense is effective, but very simple. Cam couldn't even come up with a play call, he said "36" when Gruden asked him for an AU play call. Cam himself said it was simple, one read on pass plays mostly. Cam is going in the 1st round because of his size and talent, not because he is a well schooled NFL QB prospect. Pike is good looking athlete, but his not on Cam's level. If he commits to AU? hell yes he or somebody in his family is being paid. Period.

No joke, Newton sounded like he was completely lost.  Gus may have a pretty good offensive scheme, but I question just how much it prepares QB for the next level.  See Mustain from Springdale to USC (sure he had success at Arkansas, but not much afterwards) and now Cam sounding like an unpolished QB whose tremendous athleticism was responsible for Auburn success.   

yraciv

Quote from: ChildPlease... on April 19, 2011, 12:35:23 pm
Right, because anyone unaware of CBP's brief relationship as an asst coach with Mark Brunell is clearly a moron.

I'm still wondering what a couple years with Mark Brunell when he was already a pro does to dispute the fact that Michigan has been an absolute QB factory over the last 20 years and Ark/CBP have collectively sent the altogether unsuccessful trio of Stoerner, Matt Jones, and Brian Brohm to the league.

(Again, CBP is an awesome QB coach and I love him. This is for the folks who want to act like going to Michigan would be career suicide for Zeke as compared to coming here)

Again I am a Michigan fan, and think it would be a good decision for him, but their history of quarterbacks has nothing to do with the current situation. The best quarterback Hoke ever coached is Nate Davis, he did recruit Top Brady, but his background is defense.  The QB development will come from Al Borges, whose resume includes Cade McNown & Jason Campbell, although you can argue Petrino started Campbell's development.  Sorry, but that list isn't going to impress 1 person.

Your CBP list has slighted a couple guys he had a hand in. The list also includes Jake Plummer, Chris Redman, Stefan Lefors, & obviously Ryan Mallett. Not filled with all pro players yet, but it is a much more impressive bunch.  I'd also like to point out that Jay Fidler turned into a servicable NFL starting QB for 3 or 4 years, after working with Petrino as Brunell's backup.

mhuff

I just think that it is not too smart to indicate that a top quality person is being paid by anyone. Makes me suspect of your motives. I am sure that his parents would not appreciate reading that crap. Way to make a "good" impression. People that care about our program can't be that dumb. Go back to your own board.

Stang1970

Quote from: ChildPlease... on April 19, 2011, 12:35:23 pm

I honestly dont think it would  be career suicide for Pike to go to Michigan.  The way I look at is that Arkansas or Michigan is more fitting of an offense for what he came from in high school than to go to Auburn.

I was listening to 247Sports on Sirius this morning and Bill King said that Pike is a great fit for Auburn's spread offense.  After seeing Cam Newton's thing with Gruden it shows me that they dont develop their QB's to be smarter when they leave college to be successful inthe pros.

Cam Newton even said that Malzahn's offense was about simplicity to move fast.  So basically he said that I dont need to be able to make reads on the defense at all.  I bet it will take longer for Newton to learn a PRO style offense than Mallett will be able to because Mallett showed he knows where EVERY WR is on just 1 play that he was diagraming and even know that if the defense was in a certain converage that certain WR's are going to break off their routes to a different route.

Not to say I have proof but for Pike to change from announcing in the Fall to right after visiting Auburn already makes me very suspecious of what went on while he was on his visit.

But of course the NCAA will  turn a blind eye and let Auburn do what they have been doing for decades to win games.

ChildPlease...

I'm sorry, but I think it does matter. All of those former UM QBs played for a defensive-minded HC as well (Bo, Moeller, Lloyd). Bottom line is that it is a school that people associate with drop-back pro-style QBs. Whether its Scot Loeffler (former UM QB coach now at FL) or Al Borges, that doesn't change Michigan's tradition of producing pro QBs. And Michigan will provide a pro-style system (just like Arkansas will) that will help in preparing blue0chip QBs for the NFL.

Quote from: yraciv on April 19, 2011, 11:59:12 pm
Again I am a Michigan fan, and think it would be a good decision for him, but their history of quarterbacks has nothing to do with the current situation. The best quarterback Hoke ever coached is Nate Davis, he did recruit Top Brady, but his background is defense.  The QB development will come from Al Borges, whose resume includes Cade McNown & Jason Campbell, although you can argue Petrino started Campbell's development.  Sorry, but that list isn't going to impress 1 person.

Your CBP list has slighted a couple guys he had a hand in. The list also includes Jake Plummer, Chris Redman, Stefan Lefors, & obviously Ryan Mallett. Not filled with all pro players yet, but it is a much more impressive bunch.  I'd also like to point out that Jay Fidler turned into a servicable NFL starting QB for 3 or 4 years, after working with Petrino as Brunell's backup.

Professor Pig

Quote from: 31to6 on April 19, 2011, 01:01:03 am
If he starts as a sophomore he'll throw to Wade, Herndon, Humphrey and Funderburke probably until he goes pro after his Junior season.

I don't think that is a concern.

And Kane Whitehurst...