Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

171 Banks ....

Started by john c, November 25, 2008, 06:17:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

john c

listed by FDIC as troubled.  Can anyone give me a perspective on this?  Is 200 normal? Five?  Don't follow banks, so I don't know.  Never used to worry about bank failures or the insured amount.  Now I'm considering taking some fairly aggressive action moving money around.  But, if so, to where?

majestic

As long as your accounts are under 100k (or 250k, recently) you don't really need to worry. 
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

john c

Know that.  I want to know if the FDIC saying 171 banks are in danger is a big deal, so-so deal, normal deal ....

majestic

You said you were "moving money around" which I assumed meant you were worried about your funds. 

FWIW, look back to around 1995 to see the last time this many banks were in trouble.  Big deal?  I guess it could be.  Banks of this size will likely be absorbed by the "bailout" that you and I are paying for.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Snort and Squeal

Quote from: majestic on November 25, 2008, 07:35:36 pm
You said you were "moving money around" which I assumed meant you were worried about your funds. 

FWIW, look back to around 1995 to see the last time this many banks were in trouble.  Big deal?  I guess it could be.  Banks of this size will likely be absorbed by the "bailout" that you and I are paying for.

They will be absorbed by the "bailout" that banks are borrowing from the Fed.  It's a capital infusion that must be repaid.  Further if a bank fails it is handled by the FDIC which is funded through the premiums that banks pay. 
Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!