Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much Carcoal do you use and your favorite brand.

Started by DeltaBoy, July 07, 2012, 04:22:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

We got to buying their products because I developed an allergy to MSG and Gluten and McCormicks are free of both. I will look for it becasue we love the Mesquite and Montery Steak seasonings and the Pork  and Chicken Rub.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DadVader1

I found Ozark Oak lump at Hogg's Meat Market too.  It was $7.99 for a bag, which is about twice what I paid for it at Harps, but it's good to know where I can find some locally in case I run out before I happen to pass a Harps during a road trip.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

Damn Wal-mart went in they are out of Royal Oak and Ozark Oak both nothing but the store brand and several varities of Kingsford.

DeltaBoy

I did do one thing I have seen hear and on the Weber site I got two brick and cut the grill in half and it keeps the heat up and gives me a place to move food to keep warm or smoke.

DeltaBoy

DeltaBoy

The Royal is true to it's name it starts fast and is gets hot when you open those Weber vents up all the way.

DeltaBoy

Going to burn some more Oak this weekend my last grill before the Gall Bladder comes out.

DeltaBoy

I grilled again the past Friday but the wind was so bad my fire never got above 325.

DeltaBoy

I found using Royal Oak that it takes longer some times to get really Hot.  The other night it got rolling good afte I had grilled 6 chicken breast and some brawts. But the time they were done the Oak was glowing red and showing some blue flames.

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 11, 2012, 11:09:49 am
I found using Royal Oak that it takes longer some times to get really Hot.  The other night it got rolling good afte I had grilled 6 chicken breast and some brawts. But the time they were done the Oak was glowing red and showing some blue flames.

I've never been around a Weber which is what I think you cook on. I know that sometimes on my egg it won't get as hot when I'm down to the bottom of a bag. Something about the smaller pieces and dust stopping up the vent holes some. Also, I know if you don't store your charcoal in a dry place it can get damp and not burn as hot. I found this out the hard way. OBTW I use Ozark.

How did the gall bladder surgery go? I had mine out several years ago. The surgery was nothing and really my recovery wasn't either. Went out shopping the next day. What I DIDN"T do though was adjust my diet. I put on an extra 20 lbs almost overnight.

DeltaBoy

I am feeling better but I was off 14 days cause they had some issues with it. My Charcol is just stored out in the barn in it's bag but we have not had any rain since I bought it. Plus I just opened it 2 weeks ago.  I usually grill on Saturdays, so do I need to buy a plastic tub to store it in?

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 12, 2012, 10:10:01 am
I am feeling better but I was off 14 days cause they had some issues with it. My Charcol is just stored out in the barn in it's bag but we have not had any rain since I bought it. Plus I just opened it 2 weeks ago.  I usually grill on Saturdays, so do I need to buy a plastic tub to store it in?

Humidity can still get it in the barn. I keep mine in my laundry room. Never had any problem after keeping it in the house.

DeltaBoy

Thanks I put in the house tonite and let the Central heat and air dry it back out good.

DeltaBoy

I have been going Half Kingsford and Royal Oak and it getting to 650 with no issues!

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 09, 2013, 09:19:57 am
I have been going Half Kingsford and Royal Oak and it getting to 650 with no issues!

Good deal. You had to have done something though to improve airflow???? Just asking.

DeltaBoy

Nothing differant the air vents were open all the way before I guess I just had a bad bag of charcoal or it got water loggged. 
Royal Oak get hot slower and burns longer but when you add the Kingsford it really gets to blowing and going.
I let it wide open for 2 hours and it stayed at 650.
I love this weber 22.5 Silver Grill.

Boog41

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 10, 2013, 11:32:26 am
Nothing differant the air vents were open all the way before I guess I just had a bad bag of charcoal or it got water loggged. 
Royal Oak get hot slower and burns longer but when you add the Kingsford it really gets to blowing and going.
Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 10, 2013, 11:32:26 am

Cool. Glad you have your heat problems worked out.

I personally rarely ever use high temps. I never cook over 350 or about what you would on your inside oven. I keep a fish fry burner on my deck beside my egg. When I'm grilling steaks, I get a cast iron skillet out and put on the fish fryer and heat it up. I then sear my steak on each side till they are darkened. I typically keep moving them around with BBQ tongues so the steak doesn't stick. Then I put the steaks on the egg and let them finish cooking at 350 until they are they way I like them. For me, it keeps the meat soft and tendor with great flavor.

Without a doubt though, the key to any grilling is the cut of meat. I've tried multiple places in NWA for meat. All of my beef comes from Dimes in Springdale. Anything else I will get at Richard's in Fayetteville.

DeltaBoy

I starting raiding my Mexican Super Market El Ahorro  and they have a classic glass enclosed Butcher shop.  I can get custom sized cuts from them.

DeltaBoy

Waiting on WW in my town to get some more Ozark Oak in , Royal Oak been good so far.

Slacker

I've been the proud owner of a BGE for all of a month now. I have done 8 cooks with it. A mix of slow cooks, mid temp cooks and high temp cooks. The BGE came with a 20 lb bag of BGE branded lump charcoal. I still have enough charcoal to do at least 2 more cooks with it.

I'm going to pay for the XL BGE in one year with the savings in charcoal and lighter fluid. Wish I'd done it much earlier.

DeltaBoy

That is great but I only cook out on the weekends during the school year except for the breaks we get.  Also I have been cooking so far are chicken breast, steaks , pork chops and sausages so I usually have about half of my charcoal left because I shut Mr Weber down 10 minutes after I am done.
I use a chimney to start my Charcoal but when I get into doing bigger pieces of meat often enough I am going to get a EGG or an ACORN  cooker.

RazorWild

February 08, 2013, 01:42:01 pm #74 Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 01:53:36 pm by RazorWild
If u get into lump, there are several good ones.  I use Cowboy most the time but go with royal oak when I can get by restaurant depot and pick up HUGE bags for cheap.  Bayou classic is ok but takes awhile to light ( I use a heating element coil).  The best I've heard of is Wicked Good lump.  I haven't tried yet, but here it's great.  If u have an Ace Hardware,  u can order online and have shipped to store for free.  Check this link out for detailed reviews http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

Some reviews are dated though.  Cowboy used to have scrap wood in their bags but now they have cleaned it up and all I get are nice big chunks.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Slacker on February 07, 2013, 06:28:22 pm
I'm going to pay for the XL BGE in one year with the savings in charcoal and lighter fluid. Wish I'd done it much earlier.

You can buy a awful lot of charcoal and lighter fluid for $1000!  ;)
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

ImHogginIt

bigstyx

The Cookshack Fast Eddie pellet smoker is amazing. I'm a BGE guy, but my buddy has one and gets great results. He can put 6-8 Boston Butts on before he goes to bed, punch a couple of buttons like a microwave, and it's done when he wakes up. I tell him that is cheating and not really cooking, but I'm probably just a little jealous. No regrets though, I would never give up my Egg.

Boarcephus

Quote from: bigstyx on February 08, 2013, 07:07:54 pm
The Cookshack Fast Eddie pellet smoker is amazing. I'm a BGE guy, but my buddy has one and gets great results. He can put 6-8 Boston Butts on before he goes to bed, punch a couple of buttons like a microwave, and it's done when he wakes up. I tell him that is cheating and not really cooking, but I'm probably just a little jealous. No regrets though, I would never give up my Egg.

That looks nice and you can smoke a LOT of meat in those things but they have got to be a mother to clean.   I can't do as much on my egg but all I do is fire that mother up, scrape off the grill and I'm good to go.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

bigstyx

I've never witnessed the cleaning process, but I bet you are right. Love the self cleaning aspect of the BGE. Do you just drag your ashes out with the ash tool or do use another method. I was thinking that I might look for an old school Dustbuster at a thrift store to make that process even easier, but I don't know if the ash would be a hassle to dump out of the bag.

Boarcephus

I just use a paper plate and use the tool that came with it to drag them out.   Dump those in a plastic Walmart bag, tie it off and drop it in the trash.  Takes about 30 seconds and I'm good to go. 

Slacker

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 09, 2013, 02:43:26 pm
I just use a paper plate and use the tool that came with it to drag them out.   Dump those in a plastic Walmart bag, tie it off and drop it in the trash.  Takes about 30 seconds and I'm good to go. 

BGE's rule. Took Shag 2 years of nagging to convince me. Glad I finally pulled the trigger. Wish I would have done it sooner.

bigstyx

Quote from: Slacker on February 09, 2013, 11:15:33 pm
BGE's rule. Took Shag 2 years of nagging to convince me. Glad I finally pulled the trigger. Wish I would have done it sooner.
Definitely. We need as many people preaching the gospel off the Egg as possible. Don't know Shag yet, but I'm glad he is obviously a passionate disciple. Life's too short to eat crappy BBQ.

DeltaBoy

Waiting on the weather to settle down so I can uncover and put the Weber back to work. Weather , sickness and business had kept me away from my weber since I cleaned it and put in my hinged grill rack.

Slacker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 15, 2013, 10:09:23 am
Waiting on the weather to settle down so I can uncover and put the Weber back to work. Weather , sickness and business had kept me away from my weber since I cleaned it and put in my hinged grill rack.

I've had my grill i action for the last month. We cook out 4-5 days per week on the BGE.

DeltaBoy

We will get it going again soon but DFW been too windy.

Slacker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 18, 2013, 08:30:13 pm
We will get it going again soon but DFW been too windy.

It blew like hell here today. I cooked a pizza on the BGE. And it was GOOOOOOOD!!!!!

Boarcephus

Quote from: Slacker on February 18, 2013, 09:29:09 pm
It blew like hell here today. I cooked a pizza on the BGE. And it was GOOOOOOOD!!!!!

Way too much trouble for a pizza.  We want one, we call an order in to Gusano's and pick the mother up.

bigstyx

That's a toss up. Love a good Chicago style pizza and love pizza on the egg. When I get Chicago style pizza dialed in on the BGE it will be game over.

Slacker

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 19, 2013, 05:46:30 am
Way too much trouble for a pizza.  We want one, we call an order in to Gusano's and pick the mother up.

Oh, I don't "make" the pizza. I go to Papa Murphy's, have them make it. Then, I when I get home. I fire up the BGE, dress up the pizza to my liking, then throw it on the egg for 12-15 minutes. Awesome.

Its hard to beat an oven roasted pizza. Most joints now days use the conveyor belt ovens. Not good. Gusano's does still use brick ovens, that's why their pizza taste better, IMHO.

DeltaBoy

We are going to use our Pizza stone on the Weber one of these Saturdays after watching 6 differant videos including the one from Weber on making pizza on the grill.

DeltaBoy

Still loving Royal OAK and I am going to give that BDG stuff they have at Academy a Try.

jacobp

Royal Oak is what I usually use. But I always keep a spare bag of Kingsford around just in case.

I go through about a bag a week in the spring/summer. But I grill almost every day when the season hits.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: jacobp on April 16, 2014, 01:18:20 pm
Royal Oak is what I usually use. But I always keep a spare bag of Kingsford around just in case.

I go through about a bag a week in the spring/summer. But I grill almost every day when the season hits.

Same here one school is out for the summer the Weber rarely gets cold.

Filthy_McSwine

Ozark Oak lump and a MAPP torch.  Much easier/faster than my recently retired Looftlighter.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Filthy_McSwine on April 17, 2014, 02:11:08 pm
Ozark Oak lump and a MAPP torch.  Much easier/faster than my recently retired Looftlighter.

I use a Brinkman Torch when it windy or damp.

LAHogfan123

Use char wood, I don't like the taste of charcoal and never, ever use lighter fluid, you may as well just pour it directly onto your meat.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

PharmacistHog

Quote from: cosmodrum on August 13, 2014, 08:31:52 pm
Royal Oak lump and a chimney starter.

If you are ever in Benton, run by harp's and grab a few bags of that Ozark Oak.  It's like 5.49 a bag and it just seems better than royal oak to me. 
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.