Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hypothetical...assume Anderson is here another 7 seasons

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 19, 2018, 11:04:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 19, 2018, 12:19:58 pm
Yep it has been, but it isn't anymore and MA has still kept Arkansas near the top of the conference.

The rest of the SEC is basically passing by Anderson.

With the addition of Crean at Georgia, that will eventually be another tough SEC opponent.

Arkansas is stuck in a time warp trying to replicate 1994 and 1995, and the rest of the SEC is saying "see you in the rear view mirror Anderson/Arkansas" because the rest of the SEC is improved regarding coaching and recruiting.

HogBreath

Quote from: root_hawg on March 19, 2018, 11:56:47 am
He is here until he retires.
Maybe he'll retire next week then.  He's done enough, go enjoy life Coach.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

texas tush hog

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on March 19, 2018, 12:40:24 pm
If this is truly the case im done with the bball team. You can call me fairweather but if we dont commit to trying to find a coach who can win then I wont commit my time or money.

Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. Same with all you Mike haters. Mike ain't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, so just suffer.

cal34

I'm not gonna write off next season til the players coming in have some games under their belt.  If they put out the effort Hall played with this year we might be a pretty good team.  Mike might even wake up & make some adjustments.  No way to know until they play some games.

If we suck then Mike needs to go.

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Nickle-Pig

Not much of a stretch to put him at Arkansas through 2025. Your portrait of the future however is of a glass half empty. This season should tell you something. Not everything gained in measured in wins. If you can't see the sun on the rise then take off the sun glasses. We did many things this year that had either never happened before or not in a long while. Look at the sell outs and the excitement from this season. If you were there at BWA you may have noticed it was like old times at times. This isn't the middle of mediocrity as some would have you think. Things were different this year enough to be compared to the golden years. Mike Anderson will retire here.
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

steveaustin69

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on March 20, 2018, 06:36:43 am
Not much of a stretch to put him at Arkansas through 2025. Your portrait of the future however is of a glass half empty. This season should tell you something. Not everything gained in measured in wins. If you can't see the sun on the rise then take off the sun glasses. We did many things this year that had either never happened before or not in a long while. Look at the sell outs and the excitement from this season. If you were there at BWA you may have noticed it was like old times at times. This isn't the middle of mediocrity as some would have you think. Things were different this year enough to be compared to the golden years. Mike Anderson will retire here.

Then what is it measured in? What did we gain? Actual attendance was not that high. Compared to the golden years? Are you serious? I don't get what planet some of you live on.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 07:42:16 am
Then what is it measured in? What did we gain? Actual attendance was not that high. Compared to the golden years? Are you serious? I don't get what planet some of you live on.

Arkansas finished Top 15 in the nation in NCAA attendance for the last 3 years in Basketball. While they haven't released metrics for this season yet, I seriously doubt there is a fall off considering the last 2 seasons have had similar results.

Atlhogfan1

You aren't going to get them to acknowledge actual attendance figures. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

steveaustin69

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 08:10:44 am
Arkansas finished Top 15 in the nation in NCAA attendance for the last 3 years in Basketball. While they haven't released metrics for this season yet, I seriously doubt there is a fall off considering the last 2 seasons have had similar results.

Great; I'd assume that figure is also sold attendance and not actual attendance. Do I also need to explain how that's going to be inflated with the size of BWA? There were plenty of open seats.

Care to address the rest of the post?

Kevin

Quote from: texas tush hog on March 19, 2018, 11:06:46 pm

Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. Same with all you Mike haters. Mike ain't going anywhere for the foreseeable future, so just suffer.

there is plenty of suffering going on
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 08:13:22 am
You aren't going to get them to acknowledge actual attendance figures.

Yeah, so I just found them. Home attendance was the highest on Avg. in the last 4 years.Just over 16k a game on official stats. Arkansas finished 12th in the NCAA last year, should be right there again.

For more context Avg. attendance was 34% higher than Pelphrey's last season. He avg. just over 12k a home game while this year we avg. over 16k. So if your hoping MA will be fired, those attendance numbers will have to fall a lot first.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 08:19:27 am
Yeah, so I just found them. Home attendance was the highest on Avg. in the last 4 years.Just over 16k a game on official stats. Arkansas finished 12th in the NCAA last year, should be right there again.

For more context Avg. attendance was 34% higher than Pelphrey's last season. He avg. just over 12k a home game while this year we avg. over 16k. So if your hoping MA will be fired, those attendance numbers will have to fall a lot first.

Not the actual attendance numbers. You obviously didn't find those.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 20, 2018, 08:17:01 am
Great; I'd assume that figure is also sold attendance and not actual attendance. Do I also need to explain how that's going to be inflated with the size of BWA? There were plenty of open seats.

Care to address the rest of the post?

I added more context on attendance in another post. I measure success in wins and recruiting. So I'm not arguing that point, just giving stats that attendance is actually good.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 08:22:18 am
I added more context on attendance in another post. I measure success in wins and recruiting. So I'm not arguing that point, just giving stats that attendance is actually good.

But you didn't use the actual attendance numbers.  Have to go to the box scores to get those.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 08:20:41 am
Not the actual attendance numbers. You obviously didn't find those.

Well, the attendance metrics that the University uses are all listed in the link below. That's the important stat, if people buy tickets and choose not to attend it doesn't hurt the bottom line. So even if that stat is on tickets sold it shows we are 34% above the ticket sales in Pephrey's last season. Significant because in less ticket sales drop he won't be on the hot seat. For other comparison, attendance in this last football season fell over 9% from the previous year. If you want to know if a coach is on the hot seat, attendance is the best metric and ticket sales have been going up under MA.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/sport/m-baskbl/stats/

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Nickle-Pig on March 20, 2018, 06:36:43 am

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 08:26:09 am
Well, the attendance metrics that the University uses are all listed in the link below. That's the important stat, if people buy tickets and choose not to attend it doesn't hurt the bottom line. So even if that stat is on tickets sold it shows we are 34% above the ticket sales in Pephrey's last season. Significant because in less ticket sales drop he won't be on the hot seat. For other comparison, attendance in this last football season fell over 9% from the previous year. If you want to know if a coach is on the hot seat, attendance is the best metric and ticket sales have been going up under MA.

The university also lists the actual attendance in the box scores.  steve's reply to Nickel was in regards to the supposed excitement from the all of those sell outs and how BWA was like old times.  Old times and excitement but with thousands of empty seats.

Sure revenue is important.  Not what it once was in relation to the whole athletic department since football and SEC money pays a higher percentage of the bills now. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 08:26:09 am

Football attendance did fall.  Couldn't have a lack of excitement with an expansion happening.  One of many reasons to have made change.

To compare the two though using your attendance numbers as far as ticket sales:
Football in RRS avg 67,752 which was 93.96% of official capacity.

Basketball avg 16,181 = 84.27% of capacity. 

And where are all of the sellouts?  Tenn was the highest "attended" game according to your link at 18,696.  BWA capacity shrink?

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 08:35:24 am
The university also lists the actual attendance in the box scores.  steve's reply to Nickel was in regards to the supposed excitement from the all of those sell outs and how BWA was like old times.  Old times and excitement but with thousands of empty seats.

Sure revenue is important.  Not what it once was in relation to the whole athletic department since football and SEC money pays a higher percentage of the bills now.

It's not revenue, ticket sales are a direct indication of fan support for a program. If ticket sales are rising than the program/coach has support. For comparison ticket sales were rising under Bielema until last season when he had a sharp decline. Thus he had lost support of the fan base. Easy to make a change at that point, regardless of revenue.

Second, I'm linking to stats that are recorded by the university, I don't know if that is from the box score or ticket sales but it is at least actual data beyond the assumption of an anonymous message board poster. You choose what you want to look at, I'm going to default to the data that shows attendance is still rising under MA rather than some poster throwing a statement out without any data to back it up.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 08:48:05 am
Football attendance did fall.  Couldn't have a lack of excitement with an expansion happening.  One of many reasons to have made change.

To compare the two though using your attendance numbers as far as ticket sales:
Football in RRS avg 67,752 which was 93.96% of official capacity.

Basketball avg 16,181 = 84.27% of capacity. 

And where are all of the sellouts?  Tenn was the highest "attended" game according to your link at 18,696.  BWA capacity shrink?

How many football games are played on Tuesday night?
Stats still show attendance is on the rise, that's not refutable, no matter how badly you want it to be true.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GlassofSwine on March 20, 2018, 08:50:34 am
It's not revenue, ticket sales are a direct indication of fan support for a program. If ticket sales are rising than the program/coach has support. For comparison ticket sales were rising under Bielema until last season when he had a sharp decline. Thus he had lost support of the fan base. Easy to make a change at that point, regardless of revenue.

Second, I'm linking to stats that are recorded by the university, I don't know if that is from the box score or ticket sales but it is at least actual data beyond the assumption of an anonymous message board poster. You choose what you want to look at, I'm going to default to the data that shows attendance is still rising under MA rather than some poster throwing a statement out without any data to back it up.

The is no assumption when reading an actual boxscore:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/mbb/2017-18/AR30.pdf

Attendance: 15733
Estimated Actual Attendance: 13,898

Senior Day vs the SEC regular season champions with a team going to the NCAAT.  Nearly 2,000 no shows and over 5,000 empty seats. 

Atlhogfan1

Attendance: 13404
Estimated Actual Attendance: 6,477

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/mbb/2017-18/AR02.pdf

Season opener on a Sunday vs a program who often makes the NCAAT and did this season.  In your attendance list the university promotes: 13,404.  In their estimation, the actual attendance was less than half that.  But this won't be stated anywhere else. 

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 20, 2018, 08:56:35 am
The is no assumption when reading an actual boxscore:

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/mbb/2017-18/AR30.pdf

Attendance: 15733
Estimated Actual Attendance: 13,898

Senior Day vs the SEC regular season champions with a team going to the NCAAT.  Nearly 2,000 no shows and over 5,000 empty seats.

Again, I'm not saying there are not empty seats. I'm simply pointing out that data shows ticket sales are on the rise, plus this again was a Tuesday night game in an arena that seats almost 20k. For comparison let's look at Tenn last home game on a weekday. There arena seats almost 22k. They had 16k in attendance vs. Florida on a Wed. night. Almost 6k empty seats and they were fighting for first place in the SEC. So weekday attendance numbers for Arkansas are easily inline with other teams.

http://floridagators.com/boxscore.aspx?path=basketball-men&id=13860

hawgball40

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 03:46:03 pm
Thing is you don't know until you ask.

Dude can coach. Took over a WKU team that went 18-16 the yr before he came and in two years had them win 24, most since 80/09 season.
He's never been past the second round in the tourney. Also, the way he pulled in talent at MSU(and still lost with it!) and now at WKU, begs the question, does the man cheat or is he just so good of a coach that players will come anywhere to play for him?

hog.goblin

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 12:21:42 pm
Settling for mediocrity because a change MIGHT make things worse is something.

Settling for mediocrity?  Heck, we just got to mediocrity for the first time 20 years.  Let me enjoy some mediocrity before you gamble it away.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 19, 2018, 11:04:12 am
for a total of 14. 3 more than Sutton but 3 less than Nolan.

If in 14 years the Hogs under Anderson have been to the NCAAT 6 times and have 4 wins and 6 losses in the NCAAT, never making it past the 2nd round of 32 but never having an overall losing season, and never finishing higher than 3rd in SEC, would you look back and think that Arkansas should have had him as its head coach for 14 seasons?
If Mike stays another 7 years I will be to old to care. Let's hope Mike chances his style so he can win conference titles and more games in the NCAAT.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 19, 2018, 10:17:39 pm
The rest of the SEC is basically passing by Anderson.

With the addition of Crean at Georgia, that will eventually be another tough SEC opponent.

Arkansas is stuck in a time warp trying to replicate 1994 and 1995, and the rest of the SEC is saying "see you in the rear view mirror Anderson/Arkansas" because the rest of the SEC is improved regarding coaching and recruiting.

Passing by but Arkansas continues to finish ahead of these teams.

golfinpig

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 12:24:54 pm
Mike's Conference Finishes: 8, 7, 5, 2, T8, 3, T4

Zero Tourney Championships

In what many would argue was a pretty poor SEC aside from this year.

What an astounding track record of monumental success
You are absolutely right. Glassofswine can put as much lipstick on this pig as he wants but it's still a mediocre pig. Mike can't recruit, which is why we end up giving scholarships to juco bodies like Cook and Thomas. Next year the savior at point guard is a cast off from New Mexico st. Also, does MA even know an offensive set other than the one where our guards take turns handin the ball off to each other.

Porked Tongue

I'll admit I've not read the thread.

If Anderson is here 7 more years, then that's a sign we made a F4 or two and have had a few conference crowns

MikePiazza

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 20, 2018, 08:37:44 pm
I'll admit I've not read the thread.

If Anderson is here 7 more years, then that's a sign we made a F4 or two and have had a few conference crowns

Yeah, he won't get another extension past the one he signed for 2021-22 if he hasn't made the second weekend by 2020-21.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.