Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Excuse For the Loss

Started by yraciv, March 16, 2018, 04:43:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UA1985

MA thinks rebounds are undesirable. Not sure why, but there is no indication that the players want to get rebounds, or know how to do it.

OzarkRazor

Overconfidence, and standing around watching shots go up without even attempting to block anyone out.

Gonzo

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2018, 04:47:38 pm
Shooting 35% will lose a game EVERYTIME, but let's complain about coaching when we have Jones missing wide open threes and Gafford air balling turn around hook shots.

Let's see. Shooters are stone cold all day, team is in the bonus with almost 12 minutes to play in the second half, double bonus with about 7 left IIRC, and they're still shooting jumpers rather than taking the ball to the rim and trying to draw contact and take advantage of the bonus. Yeah, I think coaches can be (damn well should be actually) held accountable for not addressing that. Inexcusable.

Go Hogs!

Ugly Uncle

Basketball team wanted to get back to watch the Diamond Hogs play.
Retired Radio Host

rude1

Quote from: UA1985 on March 16, 2018, 11:12:10 pm
MA thinks rebounds are undesirable. Not sure why, but there is no indication that the players want to get rebounds, or know how to do it.
He knows the importance, he stresses it all the time. The problem he hasn't addressed is that how he has them playing defense leaves them out of position to rebound the basketball. Having your big go out 25' to switch a ball screen on a ball handler breaks the defense immediately leaving your small guard on their big, guess who wins that battle when the shot goes up? Then there's the double teaming of a post player who is no offensive threat that leaves the defense scrambling trying to rotate when the ball gets out and by the time the shot goes up nobody is in position to rebound a miss.

LumberBacks

Quote from: orvillesghost on March 16, 2018, 04:48:02 pm
We play no organized defense..we press, trap, sometimes it works, when it doesn't we are in the soup.

See last seven years for examples.
CMA just needs the right players for his system.   But someone is gonna have to determine what his system is before he can recruit those right players.

Sivad

Best excuses?
That they haven't named the court for Mike's mentor Nolan yet.
Or built him the statue he requested.

moses_007

I thought Nolan lifted his curse when we hired Mike.....

AflacHawg

Bert gave them a pregame pep talk.

atom hog

Quote from: alohawg on March 16, 2018, 04:47:48 pm
Lot's of reasons, but no excuse for this in year 7 with a senior laden team. The number 1 reason is the head man.
^^^^^^^^^^^^;;
This is the most embarrassing part! This was a "senior laden team"! Low b-ball IQs across the board, poor fundamentals and no plays to generate points when needed.

atom hog

Quote from: Gonzo on March 16, 2018, 11:27:51 pm
Let's see. Shooters are stone cold all day, team is in the bonus with almost 12 minutes to play in the second half, double bonus with about 7 left IIRC, and they're still shooting jumpers rather than taking the ball to the rim and trying to draw contact and take advantage of the bonus. Yeah, I think coaches can be (damn well should be actually) held accountable for not addressing that. Inexcusable.

Go Hogs!
Uh yeah...coaching is shouldering the responsibility of steering the team through that adversity. It's about having a Plan B when the Plan A of throwing up outside shots didn't work. It's about exploiting mismatches. It's about generating points and defense. (This wasn't the first day our defense and rebounding was bad...those are facing characteristics of this team.) It's about knowing that the other team is going to work to take away your best assets. It's planning and preparation...areas where our players are woefully underserved. So yes...coaches can and should be held accountable for that.

Pigsknuckles

We got the worst from our best.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

HogBreath

We had earth, wind, but no fire.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

DeltaBoy

They were not mentally prepared regardless of what Coach told them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Jim Harris

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on March 16, 2018, 04:47:38 pm
Shooting 35% will lose a game EVERYTIME, but let's complain about coaching when we have Jones missing wide open threes and Gafford air balling turn around hook shots.

For some reason, Arkansas showed up with the same game it had at Houston and against LSU at home. Those were the two worst games of the regular season. The folks who say, "You're only as good as your worst game," well, there it was.
I'd never seen anything at home as worse as how Arkansas looked against LSU, not with Heath coaching or Pel coaching either. I'm not sure what the mindset was that you can play that badly, but Arkansas did. Arkansas, like being down 21-2 to Butler, was down 25-4 to LSU in the first 8 minutes or so. Anyway, somehow that same mindset resurfaced on the worst possible day.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

HF#1

Quote from: Jim Harris on March 19, 2018, 12:22:01 pm
For some reason, Arkansas showed up with the same game it had at Houston and against LSU at home. Those were the two worst games of the regular season. The folks who say, "You're only as good as your worst game," well, there it was.
I'd never seen anything at home as worse as how Arkansas looked against LSU, not with Heath coaching or Pel coaching either. I'm not sure what the mindset was that you can play that badly, but Arkansas did. Arkansas, like being down 21-2 to Butler, was down 25-4 to LSU in the first 8 minutes or so. Anyway, somehow that same mindset resurfaced on the worst possible day.

It pops up 3-4 times a season under Mike. And then you have 3 or 4 other games that aren't beat downs but they are 11, 12, 15 point losses usually road games.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Jim Harris

Quote from: AflacHawg on March 18, 2018, 01:58:33 am
Bert gave them a pregame pep talk.

No, Bertie was busy telling Cincinnati it had its game with Nevada wrapped up ahead 22 with 11 minutes left.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson