Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Going for it on 4th and 2??? DO WHAT????

Started by synthartist69, November 18, 2017, 02:21:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

N HOG

Quote from: rhames on November 18, 2017, 02:29:25 pm
Going for it was correct

The play call though.......woof

You are kidding, aren't you? Going for it in that situation was absolutely ridiculous.

HogSkinsDisease

Quote from: duckman on November 18, 2017, 02:33:02 pm
I was screaming punt, followed by words that will get filtered here....

My 12 yo son, who relentlessly goes for every 4th down in Madden, even asked why in the world he went for it.

PORKULATOR

When we got up 14 - 0 & had the ball, we should have gone deep every play. Damn the consequences. We were bound to get 1.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

elksnort

If Pettway keeps running the route it would have been a touchdown or drawn an interference.

jm

Horrible play call
If you go for it you have to run some kind of rpo or play action not a poorly run 2 man route.

HogPharmer

Quote from: elksnort on November 18, 2017, 03:09:28 pm
If Pettway keeps running the route it would have been a touchdown or drawn an interference.

I agree. I just don't understand the play call to begin with. Our personnel have not proven any capability to pull that play off all season. Much less to try it during a tie game on 4th down on your own 45.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Razor1997

Quote from: PORKULATOR on November 18, 2017, 03:02:30 pm
When we got up 14 - 0 & had the ball, we should have gone deep every play. Damn the consequences. We were bound to get 1.

That's what Paul Petrino said in the La-Monroe game.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jm on November 18, 2017, 03:11:26 pm
Horrible play call
If you go for it you have to run some kind of rpo or play action not a poorly run 2 man route.

AA was not going to be running at that point. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

BadHog

Further evidence of the ineptitude of this coaching staff
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

HogPharmer

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 18, 2017, 03:14:15 pm

If he ran, he could've gotten hurt... then we could kiss the season goodbye.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

upperdeck_hawg

Season in the dumpster I dont mind going for it. I dont like the one WR route and that WR is Pettway? A guy who cant have more than 5 catches in his career.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Jackson_64

Quote from: 31to6 on November 18, 2017, 02:31:26 pm
About as dumb as putting storey in on the QB keeper. Why do you put the ball in the hands of guys who have NEVER RUN THAT PLAY in a game this close?

You have to know your personnel.

Stupid play calling robbed the defense of a great effort.

Yes, I think the "steamboat" play was the dumbest play of the game; the 4th down was a close second.

Next weekend can't come soon enough...
Lane Kiffin.

And it is way closer to happening then you think.

Way closer.

PRJ

31to6

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on November 18, 2017, 03:16:24 pm
Season in the dumpster I dont mind going for it. I dont like the one WR route and that WR is Pettway? A guy who cant have more than 5 catches in his career.
Every other coach on the planet tries to connect his QB with the best player on the team. The go to guy.

Once again, Enos doesn't understand the importance of having the right players in on big plays.

zebradynasty

That was a call if you had absolutely NOTHING to play for. A chance at a trip to a no-name bowl was something. Punt and make state execute their way to victory. State executed poorly all day make them actually drive the field get it to OT who knows....

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 18, 2017, 03:16:20 pm

He is already hurt.  Why he wasn't going to be running. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

elksnort

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 18, 2017, 03:13:01 pm
I agree. I just don't understand the play call to begin with. Our personnel have not proven any capability to pull that play off all season. Much less to try it during a tie game on 4th down on your own 45.
Well, fair enough. It is what 4-6 teams do.

BoogaHog

HogPharmer

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 18, 2017, 03:19:44 pm
He is already hurt.  Why he wasn't going to be running.

Clearly you don't understand sarcasm.

Hoggiedawg

If he ran, he could’ve gotten hurt... then we could kiss the season goodbye.

I see what you did there.....

HogPharmer

Sow Lancelot

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

twistitup

Just got home....miserable game

They tried to give it to us- we couldn't take it.

Terrible coaching
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Rayzback

Miss State was not moving the ball well in the second half giving it up on downs and 3 punts before they managed to tie it up given a short field. We just came off a 3 and out where AA was showing signs of wear and tear. On 3rd and 3 we pick up one but almost lose the ball. So he decides to go for it on 4th down, giving them an even shorter field with 3 minutes left?  I don't get it.
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on November 18, 2017, 02:24:27 pm
Worst call I've seen in a long time.
since the Cole Kelley call where he "acted" like he dribbled the dang football.
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

Pecos Hog

Quote from: rhames on November 18, 2017, 02:29:25 pm
Going for it was correct

The play call though.......woof

Never the right call there.     4th and 2 on our side of the field with 3 minutes left, game tied - and we cant' even get 100 yard rushing on 34 carried.    You punt and put them deep in their territory.   Either stop them and force OT, or there's a chance you can get the ball back with a little time.    Odds are slim that Misstake could have driven the length of the field to score.   

Whoever called that play is retarded and does not deserve to be coaching football at this level....and probably any level.   

rhames

I have no problem going for it with the correct play call

The defense was without 2 of the better players at the time and were tired.

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 18, 2017, 03:53:26 pm
Never the right call there.     4th and 2 on our side of the field with 3 minutes left, game tied - and we cant' even get 100 yard rushing on 34 carried.    You punt and put them deep in their territory.   Either stop them and force OT, or there's a chance you can get the ball back with a little time.    Odds are slim that Misstake could have driven the length of the field to score.   

Whoever called that play is retarded and does not deserve to be coaching football at this level....and probably any level.   

Weren't we also going against the wind and had a huge mishap on a punt before?

The actual call was dumb.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

mhuff

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on November 18, 2017, 02:24:20 pm
Coaches suck. Another 4th quarter meltdown.

Helluva job guys. Thanks.

Should have run on first down. Passing on fourth down and two has cost us a bunch of games the last two years

Rayzback

Quote from: Pecos Hog on November 18, 2017, 03:53:26 pm

The whole reason they ran the wildcat on 3rd was because how banged up AA was. Why put the game on his shoulders there?

Hoggish1

rhames

Quote from: Hoggish1 on November 18, 2017, 03:58:18 pm
Wrong and Right

Agree to disagree.  The punt would have been horrible and Mississippi State would have bled the clock.

The coaches had nothing to lose and played for the win. The call was horrible though.

jm

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 18, 2017, 03:14:15 pm

Then you have to punt!
We do not have the line to hold up or the receivers to make the play. No line play + injured QB + questionable receivers =  punt/ quick kick/ anything not max protect throw & deep to guy with few catches all  year.

LJHOG

Quote from: The Boar War on November 18, 2017, 02:35:01 pm
But Enos is a great play caller.......
He is actually.  But, there is not a good play to call when you have one of the worst offensive, if not the worst, in college football.

Pecos Hog

Punting is probably the call 95% of the time.   It MIGHT make sense only if you have a great offensive line and you proven you can always get 3+ yards on the ground whenever you need it.    BUT, we happen to have the worst line in the history of our program.   

TheEnemy

Quote from: rhames on November 18, 2017, 03:53:29 pm
I have no problem going for it with the correct play call

The defense was without 2 of the better players at the time and were tired.

Even a poor 30 yard kick moves them back to 25 yard line.

Fitz had already almost thrown a pick 6.  Make them work for it. Giving it to them on the 45 made it easy to just line up and run the ball, bleed the clock and play it safe.

You put them back and they have to worry about losing the game due to a turnover.

Going for it basically gave them the game.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: MartinGit on November 18, 2017, 02:39:42 pm
You have to understand, punting it would have almost assured overtime and Ben's Apartment opens at 2:30 - didn't want to be late

This shouldn't be dismissed. Underrated post.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Rayzback

Quote from: rhames on November 18, 2017, 04:00:25 pm

Agree to disagree.  The punt would have been horrible and Mississippi State would have bled the clock.

The coaches had nothing to lose and played for the win. The call was horrible though.

Granted, we already had one punt meltdown....  MMQB :)  I still would have liked to see us attempt to pin them deep.

code red

Think we win if he punts.  That was imho the last nail in the coffin.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hog golf

I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

HoopS

First of all- the third down call was dumb AF.

But you punt on 4th. With no hesitation.

MSU faces a 4th down on the last possession and would have punted back to us had that played out.

Anyway. Dumb. Fireable. Unfair to the team. Not worth paying money to watch.

aloha_kid

Quote from: synthartist69 on November 18, 2017, 02:21:01 pm
Are you kidding????  What a stupid play call.

And if they didn't that would have been a stupid play call.  The dumber play call was the 3rd down call.

Martygit

RIP OTR, REV

twistitup

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: synthartist69 on November 18, 2017, 02:22:18 pm
Who knows..... but it was the dumbest call of the game

Going for it was understandable, the play call was insane. Still, I think the Ty Storey 3rd and two call was by far the dumber of the two. That play took the air out of us, and we never got the momentum back from that point.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

twistitup

November 18, 2017, 06:34:10 pm #94 Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:08:24 pm by twistitup
Quote from: Pigsknuckles on November 18, 2017, 06:31:34 pm
Going for it was understandable, the play call was insane. Still, I think the Ty Storey 3rd and two call was by far the dumber of the two. That play took the air out of us, and we never got the momentum back from that point.

Equally ridiculous play call...unbelievable

Hogwarrior

Quote from: shshark00 on November 18, 2017, 02:30:19 pm
Hilarious. Before the play there wasn't a single person in the game thread that said punt, but there were numerous "go for it". Gotta love Arkansas fans

Go back and check the thread.  I said he should punt!  There was no way that putrid offense was going 80+ the way these young men were playing D!

HarrisonHog

It's questionable to go for it even if it was Tecmo Bowl.

Hogwarrior

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 18, 2017, 02:37:38 pm
No.

You punt it and make Miss St pass the ball to beat us.

Going for it and failing gives them a short enough field to just move the ball down the field with their option  game.

It was stupid.

I agree!  Their O struggled at best most of the day.  The QB didn't trust the young receivers and didn't show many signs of accuracy.  The D was playing great and we give them the ball at our 45.  REALLY?  Why?  I'd take OT with AA and our receivers from the 25 versus them with their top 4 receivers and us bottling up their QB all day any day of the week!  Dumb call!

HoggyCat

Then throws out the hot potato when he easily could've thrown at least one pass to sideline, maybe two. Get a little closer, look for the heave, if it's not there, THEN start the hot potato. Not with 0:13 left.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HogFoo

Quote from: TheEnemy on November 18, 2017, 02:26:54 pm
No you punt it and play  defense
yes. This.  They were 10 yards from FG range!! We had 2 timeouts left in a tie game with less than runs to go.  You punt that damn ball ,play defense try to score when ya get the ball back, and if not go to overtime!  But no, we go for some crazy ass pass play that didn't even come close to being completed.  Geez.  All MSU had to do after we didn't make 4th was go 10yards to be FG range!!  lineup their kicker and go for it.  They instead just ran it, killed all the clock, got the controversial RD and won.  Man, I felt n.a. for our team, our defense played pretty good.  Our coaches lost that one.  Yes, I'm ready to be rid of Bert and these horrific playcalls!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............