Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pat Dye wants Auburn, Missouri to switch divisions in SEC

Started by jbcarol, May 16, 2017, 07:42:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/864249976825753601

Quote"We touch Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. We need to be in the East, and Missouri needs to be in the West. If we played nine [conference] games, we could do that, because we could still play Alabama every year, and then we'd have our meeting with Tennessee and Florida and Georgia."

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/864240204122607616

QuoteCan you imagine how much easier it would be for Mizzou fans to travel to places such as Ole Miss and Mississippi State regularly? Plus, the annual meeting with Arkansas would have more meaning, and a true rivalry could develop. Meanwhile, the advantages for Auburn are obvious.

However, it doesn't seem likely that the SEC's divisions will change soon.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

mizzouman

I'd be for it.  Playing A&M every year would help Missouri.  Plus Missouri's record against Ole Miss, A&M and Arkansas is favorable.

JonClaudeVanHam

I've thought this from the beginning. Honestly, I've never understood why Vandy was in the East and Auburn was in the West. It makes a lot of sense to have one of the Bama teams in the east.
"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently." - Nietzsche

tusksincolorado

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

mizzouman

Quote from: JonClaudeVanHam on May 16, 2017, 08:37:42 am
I've thought this from the beginning. Honestly, I've never understood why Vandy was in the East and Auburn was in the West. It makes a lot of sense to have one of the Bama teams in the east.
As long as these two teams play each other every year.  But agree.  Imagine an Auburn/Alabama SECC game.

Kevin

will not happen. bama wants to play tenner every year

what bama wants, bama gets
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

tigerinhogtown

Quote from: Kevin on May 16, 2017, 11:01:48 am
will not happen. bama wants to play tenner every year

what bama wants, bama gets

He also wants 9 SEC games which would allow BAMA to play both

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: tigerinhogtown on May 16, 2017, 05:45:44 pm
He also wants 9 SEC games which would allow BAMA to play both

Nine conference games a year would be bad for the conference... 8)

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/864979848015609856

Quote"It works. I think you can look at the competitive success. It works, and it has worked really well. We have done a couple deep dives, the last one I think back in [20]13-14, looking at every possible scheduling format. As we talked to our member institutions and looked at advantages and disadvantages, we said, 'Let's play eight conference games.'"

The topic gained attention this week when former Auburn coach Pat Dye made the argument that Auburn should move to the SEC East and Missouri to the SEC West. He said Auburn could maintain its Iron Bowl rivalry with Alabama as a member of the SEC East if the SEC had nine conference games per season.

It's unlikely that this topic will go away.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/868099358901899265

QuoteColumbia, Mo., is farther west than Auburn, Ala. But Missouri borders two states that contain three SEC East teams (Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Kentucky) compared to bordering one state with an SEC West team (Arkansas).

Moving Auburn to the East also complicates SEC scheduling. In that scenario, Alabama would have to choose which cross-divisional opponent it plays every year — Auburn or Tennessee —

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/884470949059448832

QuoteGreg Sankey continued to indicate that the idea was more fantasy than reality.

"That has not been an agenda item at any meeting," Sankey said when asked about the possibility of realignment.

He went on to explain that he most often has to address the topic at large gatherings with a microphone, indicating that it may be more of a media creation than a backroom talking point.