Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just remember this..

Started by synthartist69, February 21, 2018, 09:49:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

synthartist69

Pelphrey... Stan Heath.... this could be a lot worse. We are still over 50% in the SEC this year.. chill out.

PharmacistHog

And that's the problem. Right there. Settling for mediocre because "it could be worse than a knee jerk public relations hire and a last minute hire after losing out on your other targets". Sad.
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

The_Iceman

If Mike misses the tournament this year, he definitely won't make it next year. That will be

Pelphrey- 1 NCAA Tournament in 4 years. One win.
Heath- 2 NCAA Tournaments in 5 years. No wins.
Anderson- 2 NCAA Tournaments in 8 years. 2 wins.

How much better are we under Mediocre Mike if he can't get us to the NCAA Tournament this year? Really.....

jst01

One of the worst takes to have.  If your argument is pointing out that we are at least not absolutely terrible, then you have lost your argument.

razorback1829

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 21, 2018, 09:54:44 am
If Mike misses the tournament this year, he definitely won't make it next year. That will be

How much better are we under Mediocre Mike if he can't get us to the NCAA Tournament this year? Really.....

He won't miss the tournament this year. So that will be 3 out of 4 years. And we haven't even gotten to play a game in it yet. Used to think you knew what you were talking about. Not anymore. Ignorance always shines through.

The_Iceman

Quote from: razorback1829 on February 21, 2018, 09:56:36 am
He won't miss the tournament this year. So that will be 3 out of 4 years. And we haven't even gotten to play a game in it yet. Used to think you knew what you were talking about. Not anymore. Ignorance always shines through.

Most of us thought we were for sure in the NCAA Tournament in 2014 as well, then Mediocre Mike choked against two sub .500 teams. We are not for sure in the NCAA Tournament yet. If we finish 1-3 here on out, we won't be in.

Cotton

You're shinning liking a diamond.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hulk hog

Quote from: synthartist69 on February 21, 2018, 09:49:56 am
Pelphrey... Stan Heath.... this could be a lot worse. We are still over 50% in the SEC this year.. chill out.

The assumption is when you make a coaching change you go toward not backward.

The difference in Mike and Heath and Pelphrey is that Mike is winning about 70% of games against the lower to mid level teams in the conference. Mike has a very average to mediocre record against ranked SEC teams and the other power 5 conference teams. If you make the argument that it could be worse I can throw two names out and say we'll it could be a whole lot better.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 21, 2018, 09:53:18 am
And that's the problem. Right there. Settling for mediocre because "it could be worse than a knee jerk public relations hire and a last minute hire after losing out on your other targets". Sad.

Ummm...MA was not a knee jerk reaction hire...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

Cotton

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2018, 10:10:04 am

I don't think you understood his post... re-read it and try again.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

HogInThaGrove

What's worse than having a talented roster and having a coach that has no idea how to play to that teams strengths?  If all we care about is our overall record and the amazing "haven't had a losing season" horsecrap, then we are hosed.  Mike hasn't had a losing season cause he schedules the school of the blind for non-conf games and then proceeds to go .500 in conference.  Win most at home, lose almost every road game.  All the while making no adjustments and expecting no fundamentals out of his team.  I'll be $10 that most of those dudes blocked out way better in high school than they do now, because most High School coaches emphasize it and make it a priority. 

Many things bug the hell out of me, but a team that won't do the small, fundamental intangibles that good teams do, that drives me nuts.  Rebounding and Free Throws are about as fundamental as it gets, and we suck something awful at both.  Very telling.  And when you struggle to score for long stretches of time, having guys who understand rebounding angles and blocking out and guys who can knock down free throws is very important and will keep you in a game through the cold spell. 

Mike's a great man of high character.  He is an average coach at best. 

liljo

Pretty sure we'll make the tournament.

Sometimes the other team is just on, and you are just not. There is a winner and loser in every matchup. Last night, the long and lengthy Wildcats were just too much for the Hogs. I think the team played hard. Sometimes shots just don't fall. I bet nobody feels worse about it than they do.

I'm proud of them, still think Mike Anderson is a fine coach. I'm behind 'em all the way. It's not about settling for mediocre. I think this team is a lot better than mediocre. A LOT better. A record of 19-9 in this year's SEC looks pretty good to me! They just wasted too many possessions last night, especially when they had the slim lead. They gassed out trying to go for the throat WAY to early, I thought.

I know everyone is critical of Mike's substitution patterns. I don't understand them either, but I'm absolutely sure Coach wants to win as badly as anyone. I'm not throwing the team under the bus after a loss. That may actually be when they need the support of the fans more than ever.

Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

Kevin

counting this season cma will only have 3 years were he lost less than 10 games
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

He won't miss the tournament this year. So that will be 3 out of 4 years.

NO NO NO. It will be 3 times in 7 years. By your logic Heat was fired after going to the NCAAT twice in 2 years.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GoHogs1091

Stan Heath took us to back-to-back NCAATs, which Anderson hasn't done.

John Pelphrey's win against Indiana in the NCAAT is a better win than Anderson's Wofford and Seton Hall wins.

Kevin

yeah that is a ringing endorsement. our fans have become a bunch of snowflakes.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

steveaustin69

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on February 21, 2018, 10:10:04 am

Ha. Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

hamARchy in the USA

It's worse with MA than Heath and Pel.  It was known that Heath and Pel would get fired for sucking.   It's been known for 7 hopeless years that MA would not.

rude1

Stan Heath actually done as well and probably better than MA. So Pelphrey maybe. Heath went to back to back tourneys and was headed for a 3rd when he got the axe.

cityhog

Aim high Arkansas. Aim high. smdh.

farfromgroovins

I remember this coach we once had that won a lot. What was his name?
Rolan or Colon or Bowling??
Oh, Nolan! That's it!

I guess expecting a consistent top 25 team doesn't fly in today's "everybody gets a ribbon" society.

Mjs84

Lol at everybody saying chill out and bragging about playing .500.  Forget the fact we only cracked the top 25 two times in the last 8 years.

Mjs84

Are you trying to say Mike has found his sweet spot?  There are bigger goals for our program that involve more than making the tournament. By your rate of measure Mike will be runner up for an SEC championship in 15 years.  Some hogvillians don't have that much time.  Judging by your ineptitude, you don't either.

jgphillips3

Basketball was dead.  Mike brought it back to life.  However, he's been here for six years.  If he isn't going to take that next step and move us from a perpetual bubble team to sweet 16 and beyond, then we need to be watching the coaching ranks looking for that next coach to elevate us to the next level.  However, Mike is not terrible.  He is a good coach.  If rankings extended all the way out, under Mike we would be pretty consistently between about 25th to 50th in the Country.  We want to improve that and not return to the depths of Hell Pelphrey had sunk to in his years.  Basically, it's a delicate situation that needs to be handled just right and not with a knee-jerk reaction unless he goes full Bielema and just disintegrates.

Torqued pork

I think Bielema won a little more than Otis Douglas so I guess we should've been happy with Bret, I suppose.

razorpimp

Should have kept Bielema!   We might lose every game under Morris...

Yea that logic makes sense

sickboy

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on February 21, 2018, 04:24:18 pm
It's worse with MA than Heath and Pel.  It was known that Heath and Pel would get fired for sucking.   It's been known for 7 hopeless years that MA would not.

It's worse with MA? He's averaging 21 wins per year. Heath averaged 16 and Pel averaged 17.

rude1

Quote from: sickboy on February 21, 2018, 07:02:23 pm
It's worse with MA? He's averaging 21 wins per year. Heath averaged 16 and Pel averaged 17.

Ummm Stan Heath took over a much much much much worse situation than Anderson or Pel, but I think you know that.

razorpimp

Quote from: sickboy on February 21, 2018, 07:02:23 pm

Heaths 2005-2006 team was not a bad team at all...they lost 10 games but by an average of 4.5 per game....lost to national champion Florida by 4 pts and 3 pts, SEC was a better league that year with a good LSU, Tenn, Florida of course, Kentucky was better than they are this year

That Heath team would beat this years team in my opinion

CMA loses Portis and Qualls then the next years team collapses, Heath lost top two players in Brewer and Modica and the next year still made the tourney though barely, and he would have definitely made it the third year

Tweeter

So be grateful we're not as bad as we used to be?  That's the standard now!

solitons

it's so sad for us, the hog fans

solitons

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on February 21, 2018, 10:17:08 am
What's worse than having a talented roster and having a coach that has no idea how to play to that teams strengths?  If all we care about is our overall record and the amazing "haven't had a losing season" horsecrap, then we are hosed.  Mike hasn't had a losing season cause he schedules the school of the blind for non-conf games and then proceeds to go .500 in conference.  Win most at home, lose almost every road game.  All the while making no adjustments and expecting no fundamentals out of his team.  I'll be $10 that most of those dudes blocked out way better in high school than they do now, because most High School coaches emphasize it and make it a priority. 

Many things bug the hell out of me, but a team that won't do the small, fundamental intangibles that good teams do, that drives me nuts.  Rebounding and Free Throws are about as fundamental as it gets, and we suck something awful at both.  Very telling.  And when you struggle to score for long stretches of time, having guys who understand rebounding angles and blocking out and guys who can knock down free throws is very important and will keep you in a game through the cold spell. 

+1, go hogs

solitons

Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 21, 2018, 09:53:18 am
+1, sad

Boardon Hamsay

My key takeaway from this thread is that we're definitely still sharting the bed but we need to determine if it's better on the nights we wake up from it a little earlier, have a more binding dinner, or just deal with it in the am.  ???
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

sickboy

Quote from: rude1 on February 21, 2018, 07:04:56 pm
Ummm Stan Heath took over a much much much much worse situation than Anderson or Pel, but I think you know that.

I think I know that I don't give a crap what anyone inherited. Heath didn't win, so he got fired. Neither did Pelphrey, so he got fired. Mike Anderson is winning more games than his predecessors, so he has a job. It's not rocket science, Galileo.

Now, you want Mike Anderson to win more games, fine. But to say the program was better under Heath or Pelphrey isn't even healthy disillusionment. It's willful ignorance.

MikePiazza

Quote from: sickboy on February 21, 2018, 10:25:23 pm
I think I know that I don't give a crap what anyone inherited. Heath didn't win, so he got fired. Neither did Pelphrey, so he got fired. Mike Anderson is winning more games than his predecessors, so he has a job. It's not rocket science, Galileo.

Now, you want Mike Anderson to win more games, fine. But to say the program was better under Heath or Pelphrey isn't even healthy disillusionment. It's willful ignorance.

God I want to give this post a hug.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

synthartist69

Relax guys, the SEC is tough this year. We are in the middle of the pack. Its not the end of the world.

hawg66

Anyone who was paying attention knew Heath was a better coach when Arkansas fired him than he was when they hired him. But the academic stuff was serious, and enough for serious concern.

If as so many say the season is judged by the tourney, here's an idea. Let's wait until the season is over before we decide how the season went. Blowing up HV with every loss ( heck, after half the wins) gets really old.

hogsanity

Quote from: sickboy on February 21, 2018, 10:25:23 pm

Heath didn't win? Yet in 5 years he went to as many NCAAT's as Mike did in 6 ( and who knows maybe 7 ) seasons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

PonderinHog

Quote from: synthartist69 on February 21, 2018, 11:33:16 pm
Relax guys, the SEC is tough this year. We are in the middle of the pack. Its not the end of the world.
But you can see it from there.

hogsanity

Just remember this - every great coach was once a up and comer that someone had the foresight or just plain good luck to hire. You don'f find the next great one by standing pat with one that has proven to be average.

mbgrulz

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on February 21, 2018, 10:17:08 am

Talented roster compared to who? Other than the two against LSU & @MSU, I think the argument could be made that in all of our losses, the other team had at least as good and likely better talent than us.

Think about it...Macon, Barford, and Gafford would play for all the SEC teams and be starters for 9 out of 10 teams, but after that who else would see the floor?

Tennessee
Auburn
Kentucky
Alabama
Texas a&m

All of those teams are clearly more talented than Arkansas.

Florida
Mizzou

Both of those teams have arguments for having better talent. I'd personally rather have UF's roster, and if Mizzou can get Porter Jr. back, then they go up into that top group.

We are possibly the 8th most talented team in the league, and sitting in a 6 way tie for 3rd.

I don't think anybody thinks Mike is a GREAT coach, but he is dang sure not average.

hogsanity

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 22, 2018, 09:13:02 am
Talented roster compared to who? Other than the two against LSU & @MSU, I think the argument could be made that in all of our losses, the other team had at least as good and likely better talent than us.

We are possibly the 8th most talented team in the league, and sitting in a 6 way tie for 3rd.

I don't think anybody thinks Mike is a GREAT coach, but he is dang sure not average.

Well then, who's fault is it that in yr 7 Mike has the 8th most talented team in the league?

He dang sure is average. Great coaches win conferences and go to Final 4's.

HogInThaGrove

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 22, 2018, 09:13:02 am

Think about it...Macon, Barford, and Gafford would play for all the SEC teams and be starters for 9 out of 10 teams, but after that who else would see the floor?

Tennessee
Auburn
Kentucky
Alabama
Texas a&m

All of those teams are clearly more talented than Arkansas.

Florida
Mizzou

Both of those teams have arguments for having better talent. I'd personally rather have UF's roster, and if Mizzou can get Porter Jr. back, then they go up into that top group.

Ok.  If we accept your statement as fact..... who recruited that extremely un-talented roster?  After 7 years that we are left as the 8th most talented team in the SEC is ok to you or others?  Should we not strive to do better? 

Sorry, Mike is just average.  It's not personal.  But his recruiting is average, his results are average, and the product on the court is average.  Name one thing that mike is excellent at?  Most good/great coaches have at least one thing that are awesome at.  Calipari coached circles around Mike the other night, and coaching isn't his great thing, his is recruiting.  Someone like Brad Stevens or Mark Few or Gregg Marshall, those guys are X's & O's geniuses.  There's nothing I can think of, basketball wise, that Mike is excellent at.  Now, is he a great man of high character?  Absolutely, and that's why this whole thing stinks so badly.  Firing a great man because he is an average coach hurts, but he knows what his job is and he gets paid very handsomely to do it. 

HognotinMemphis

How many are done with eligibility this year? 4?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

mbgrulz

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2018, 09:23:30 am
Well then, who's fault is it that in yr 7 Mike has the 8th most talented team in the league?

He dang sure is average. Great coaches win conferences and go to Final 4's.
No argument about the recruiting. It has to be better.

As for the coaching, I guess I leave some room for people to be in between average and great.

mbgrulz

Quote from: HogInThaGrove on February 22, 2018, 09:39:03 am
Ok.  If we accept your statement as fact..... who recruited that extremely un-talented roster?  After 7 years that we are left as the 8th most talented team in the SEC is ok to you or others?  Should we not strive to do better? 

Sorry, Mike is just average.  It's not personal.  But his recruiting is average, his results are average, and the product on the court is average.  Name one thing that mike is excellent at?  Most good/great coaches have at least one thing that are awesome at.  Calipari coached circles around Mike the other night, and coaching isn't his great thing, his is recruiting.  Someone like Brad Stevens or Mark Few or Gregg Marshall, those guys are X's & O's geniuses.  There's nothing I can think of, basketball wise, that Mike is excellent at.  Now, is he a great man of high character?  Absolutely, and that's why this whole thing stinks so badly.  Firing a great man because he is an average coach hurts, but he knows what his job is and he gets paid very handsomely to do it. 
I don't totally discount what you're saying, I don't agree with all of it, but you're not out of line.

k.c.hawg

WTH do you state things as fact. You are consistently wrong with things you predict. Do you work as a political election pollster?
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

sickboy

Quote from: hogsanity on February 22, 2018, 08:42:57 am
Heath didn't win? Yet in 5 years he went to as many NCAAT's as Mike did in 6 ( and who knows maybe 7 ) seasons.

Heath won 82 games in five years. Anderson won 102. Again, not rocket science.

code red

Losing the next 3 is a real possibility.  1 road win all year.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou