Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

v Kentucky

Started by flippinhogmana, February 13, 2018, 01:38:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

February 13, 2018, 01:38:03 pm Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:43:13 am by flippinhogmana
This is a rematch from when they came to our place and got like a 25 point lead on us midway through the third quarter before we started playing, particularly before Devin Cosper starting playing.  They had a freshman 6-3 center that scored ten points over her season average in this game as well.

Monk was pretty much shut down in this game partially because until midway of the third quarter Devin didn't display much mobility as she was still coming off her injury and Kentucky just clogged the lane and shut down Malica's drives.  From mid way of the third quarter we outplayed them.  Weaver picked up some dubious fouls (she had four and played quite a bit with three fouls, and then four)  and didn't foul  our but because of her foul trouble was tentative.

So its a question of how well will Cosper come out, can Bailey Zimmerman build on her late season success, how well can Williams, Weaver and Thomas contest inside, can Monk play better, etc.  Its a must win game as Kentucky is just ahead of us (as is Auburn and Bama) in the standings, they all play potentially a tougher schedule and we would finish where we are, or ahead of all three of them.  But the continuing emergence of Zimmer and Weaver will have a lot to do to decide that.

Game time will be at 6:00 cst and it will be at their place, it will not be televised, but it will be on SEC+ via internet.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

from the school site:

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The University of Arkansas women's basketball team is looking for some inspired play on the road in Southeastern Conference action at Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky, on Thursday.

GAME INFORMATION
Game Notes
Live Scoring
SECN+
Razorback Sports Network (Listen)
The rematch between the Razorbacks (11-12, 3-9 SEC) and Wildcats (12-14, 4-8 SEC) is scheduled for a 6 p.m. tip and streams live on the SECN+. A win for Arkansas could move the Razorbacks up two spots in the SEC standings with the season winding down.

Arkansas is currently in 11th place, one game ahead of Florida (2-10) and Vanderbilt (2-10). Kentucky is tied for ninth and a Razorback win would even the series between the teams. Auburn, a team Arkansas defeated on the road, is also tied for ninth with a 4-8 league record.

Scouting Arkansas
Junior Malica Monk has led the team all season and averages 16.0 points per game. Graduate student Devin Cosper checks in with 15.3 ppg followed by sophomore Jailyn Mason with 10.6 ppg. Sophomore Kiara Williams leads the team with 7.1 rebounds per game.

In the first meeting this season Devin Cosper scored 17 points and Arkansas got 13 points from Jailyn Mason and 11 points from Malica Monk. The Razorbacks made more 3-point field goals (9-5) but were outrebounded (35-33) and committed more turnovers (18-13). It was Kentucky's quick start that doomed Arkansas as the Razorbacks trailed 43-26 at the half. A 24-point fourth quarter got Arkansas close, but they could not overcome the early deficit.

Scouting Kentucky
The Wildcats are coming off back-to-back losses to No. 15 Missouri and No. 2 Mississippi State. Kentucky fell behind early as the Bulldogs hit eight 3-pointers in the first 20 minutes to open a lead.

Maci Morris leads Kentucky with 16.1 ppg. Taylor Murray is second averaging 12.1 ppg while Alyssa Rice is the team's leading rebounder with 6.2 rpg.

In the first meeting in late January, Kentucky had five players in double figures paced by Dorie Harrison with 16 points. Kentucky shot 45.8% in that game and got 31 points from its bench.

Up Next
The clock is ticking on the season with just three regular season games remaining. Arkansas returns home hosting LSU on Feb. 18. It is Senior Day and the annual Play4Kay day. The Razorbacks host No. 17/18 Texas A&M on Feb. 22 and travel to Vanderbilt on Feb. 25 before beginning SEC Tournament play the following week.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

DeltaBoy

I hate Big Blue.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

flippinhogmana

I am looking for a good game today.  Hogs have lost two straight, the wildcats have lost three straight.  they both score about the same, and they have similar teams in a lot of respects, the vols are one game ahead of the the hogs in the standings.

Sow’sEar

Would love to see Hogs beat Kentucky...

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Lulu Hog on February 15, 2018, 04:57:32 pm
Would love to see Hogs beat Kentucky...

as would we all!

broadcast time is about fifteen minutes away.  On away games some of the schools use such sorry graphics on the live stats that its a pain getting those things to you.  Kentuck has one of those sites, so bear with me.  Usually I dont do final stats until after the game because of it.

flippinhogmana

the starting lineup for the hogs is the same as it has been for almost all year (I think Thomas started one game and rnb started when cosper was injured): it is monk, williams, mason, cosper and zimmerman.

flippinhogmana

player introductions going on now
tipoff eminent

flippinhogmana

kentucky with th etip
hits a two
cosper misses a long three
hogs in black unis tonight
wilimas misses inside ut zimmer gets the board and misses
still cats by two
they hits anothe rtwo 4-0 cats
monk loses the ball on a double team and fouls on the drive
cats to the line, hits the first, and the second 6-0 cats
williams blocked inside but fouled, will go to the iine for two, misses the first, and hits the second, 6-1 cats with two  minutes gone

flippinhogmana

cats come up empty that trip
zimmer hits a three, 6-4
cats come up empty, and zimmer misses a three
williams called for a foul, dubious call
6:28 to go, cats will inbound and hit inside, 8-4

flippinhogmana

hogs miss but long board goes to mason
mason hits a three, 8-7
cats hit again inside, and they need to bring in weaver
10-7 cats
mason throws the ball out of bounds and its media time out,

flippinhogmana

mason with three, zimmer with three and williams with one for the scoring so far
cats score again inside, 12-7
hogs miss the three
williams pick up her second foul
thomas in

flippinhogmana

casts score again inside, we need weaver!
14-7 casts
csoper misses a three, but zimmer with the board
monk gets the three, 14-10

flippinhogmana

cats come up empty and the casts pick up a  non shooitng foul
2:19 to go
hogs miss anothe rthree
cats turn it over
monk drives and is blocked, ball out of bounds to the hogs
swinson in, thomas scores inside
cats get a three, 17-12
mason misses a three but the hogs get the offensive board and monk hits a three, 17-15

flippinhogmana

ccasts score inside, swinson answers, 19-17 with thirty seconds to go
cats come up empty with have the last shot with 16 seconds to go
mason hits a three, to give the hogs a lead at the end of the first quarter 20-19

flippinhogmana

different game than from our place, we were down seven at the end of one and it wasnt really that close.

flippinhogmana

cosper hasnt scored yet, but mason and monk with six points each to lead the way, zimmer with three, thomas with two and swinson with two, williams with one.

flippinhogmana

hogs with the ball to open the quarter
monk drives and misses a turnaround jumper
cats leading scorer hits another three, 22-20
hogs miss
I lost my feed
22-20 now so I missed a hog score
rnb airballs a three
cats hit a free thow and the second, now 24-20
two minutes gone in the quarter
cosper hits a two, 24-22

flippinhogmana

cats score again inside, 26-22
monk hits a driving jumper 26-24
cats lose the ball out of bounds but they give them possession
cats hit a two pointer from outsdie, 28-24 and the hogs lose the ball
six minutes to go in the half
casts miss and cosper gets the board
csoper misses a three, and the casts come up empty on the other end, nearing five minutes to go
mason his a three (ruled a two) 28-26
cats hit a three, 31-26
williams misses inside

flippinhogmana

having trouble with my laptop and hogs having trouble inside score now 37-26

flippinhogmana

immer hits a three to end a hogs drought, to pulle the hogs to 37-29
cats hit on th eohter end, and then zimmer hits another three to pull the hogs ot with seven 39-32
fifteen second to go in th ehalf
and that is how the half ends, cats 39-32

flippinhogmana

zimmer leads with nine, monk with eight and mason with eight, but the hogs have given up way too many points inside.

flippinhogmana

cosper leads with three boards but has not been shooting well (1-4) and only has two points
hogs with four turnovers
monk has two fouls.  it shows williams with only one, but I think they dont have that right, but if that is the way the official scorer has it, that is the way it is

flippinhogmana

harrison the freshman who scored 16 on us at home has eight, rice anothe rof their centers has four, we have scored only 3 points inside

flippinhogmana

we need a different game plan the second half, we need more height and we need cosper to get hot

Dr. Starcs

Thanks for the updates. Cmon Hogs

flippinhogmana

cats score on their opening possession and a charge is called on cosper disallowing a basket
41-32 cats
williams scores inside, 41-=34

flippinhogmana

casts miss a three but get the board and score inside
hogs miss
43-34
hogs give up another inside board and williams fouls, cats to the line
should have been to the line, but non shooting but the cats get a three instead
45-34 and the hogs turn it over
hogs need more height inside
cats come up empty and then monk hits a three, 45-37
seven minutes to go in the third

flippinhogmana

hogs foul
hogs give up another offensive board, but dont score
monk hits another three (14 points) 45-40
cats turn it over and we are to a media turnover on a cats timeout

flippinhogmana

6:17 to go in the quarter
hogs with the ball, cosper misses a three, but thomas fouled on the offensive board, hogs ball out of bounds and mason hits a three, 45-43
casts turn it over

flippinhogmana

monk drives, misses a layup but ball out of bounds to the hogs
cats foul again on the rebound
ball out to hogs
thomas hit in the face, williams in

flippinhogmana

review of the elbow, not flragrant
cosper with a jumper that misses, but zimmer boards and scores and the one to follow on the foul,misses the shot and the score remains tied, 45-45, hogs on a 11-0 run

flippinhogmana

hogs come up empty
cats fouled will go to the line
time out on the court, cats will be at the line when we return
4:23 to go in the third

flippinhogmana

cats leading scorer to the line, hits the first, and the second to break the hogs run, cats by two
47-45
hogs turn it over
cats miss but get the board, but are tied up, hogs ball
cosper is one of nine, and zimmer misses a three
cats ball
cats hit a three, now up by five
50-45
williams misses inside
2:44 to go

flippinhogmana

cats scores again inside
52-45
cats foul, zimmer to the line
misses the first, and (thomas back in) hits the second, 52-46
cats hit a three, 55-46

flippinhogmana

zimmer gets blocked but the cats step on the end line on the board,
hogs to inbound, zimmer misses
cats turn it over
swinson comes in
cosper fouled on the drive, will go to the line
hits the first, and misses the second, 55-47
cats get the ball inside and will go to the line
hit the first, and the second for a ten point lead
57-47

flippinhogmana

thomas misses inside, but ball out of bounds on the cats
monk misses a three
hogs have gone cold
ball tied up but should go to the cats
cats inbound, and miss a three, at the end of three, its cats by ten

flippinhogmana

I dont understand not playing weaver at all

flippinhogmana

hogs should have the ball when play resumes opening the fourth
mason scores from the foul line area, 57-49
cats turn  it over
monk misses, ball out on the hogs
cats turn it over again
swinson air ball a three, but thomas turns it over, mason misses and the casts boards
cats score inside, 59-49
swinson missess a three

flippinhogmana

cats hit a three
62-49
monk misses a jumper
cats score inside, hogs call a timeout
zimmer and williams come back in
6:32 to go in the game

flippinhogmana

64-49 cats
mason missess a three
williams gives up another bucket inside, 66-49
fouls on the feed to williams, out of bounds to hogs
swinson misses a three, weaver finally in, gets the offensive board will go to the line
misses the first, hits the second, 66-50
weaver fouls the cats player and gives up the bucket, and one coming, 69-50
monk misses, foul on cats, ball out of boudns to the ogs, imzer misses a three
cats hit a three
71-50

flippinhogmana

February 15, 2018, 07:44:38 pm #41 Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 10:03:04 pm by flippinhogmana
mason hits a two, 71-52 with undef four to go and the cats turn it over
cosper misses an in and out
cats miss and mason iwht the board
cosper misses, weaver with the offensive board and put back, 71-54
weaver blocks the cats shot but they call  a foul
cats to the line, hits the first, and second is good as well, 73-54
stout in
cosper missess a three
swinson fouls
spangler in
cats ball out of bounds
cats score inside
mason hits  a three, 75-57
1:36 to go
spangler with the offensive board but loses it to the cats
swinson with the board off a cats miss
and they call the foul on swinson, bad call not that it makes much difference (it was called an off the ball foul on spangler
cats hit a three, 78-57
spangler with a charge but they call it on the cats, hogs ball
41 seconds to go
spangler with the airball (or mcclure, not sure)
kentucky going to dribble it out

ladybackfan

They HAVE got to get Weaver in the game more. She is the only one strong enough not to get shoved around.

flippinhogmana

February 15, 2018, 09:45:22 pm #43 Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:39:20 am by flippinhogmana
Quote from: ladybackfan on February 15, 2018, 09:37:08 pm
They HAVE got to get Weaver in the game more. She is the only one strong enough not to get shoved around.

not playing Weaver more may be the only thing I have disagreed with Mike on all year.  I would have brought her in in the first quarter

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on February 15, 2018, 09:45:22 pm
not playing Weaver more may be the only thing I have disagree with Mike on all year.  I would have brought her in in the first quarter

I also keep struggling with this issue - especially after games where she has clearly been helpful.  Thomas played pretty well but Williams was clearly not having a good game.  We have to win Sunday and at Vanderbilt.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on February 16, 2018, 08:11:00 am
  I also keep struggling with this issue - especially after games where she has clearly been helpful.  Thomas played pretty well but Williams was clearly not having a good game.  We have to win Sunday and at Vanderbilt.

Most of the time I think I understand Mike, but I just dont on this one.  And yes we do if we are to entertain any hope for playing after the SEC tournament.  But I think this team is giving it all they have.  Maybe they are playing over their heads more than I have realized.  Hats off to Mason last game too!

LadybackBBFan

Clearly Mason and Zimmerman have continued to improve throughout the season. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on February 16, 2018, 10:23:57 am
Clearly Mason and Zimmerman have continued to improve throughout the season.

yes they have, its not such a big step up for Mason (she does shoot the three more though) but for zimmer it is.  we have both also observed that the team plays better when Macy Weaver is in.  Why is that? 

I think this team is wound so tight knowing that they have to be nearly perfect to win, especially with 6-1 post players.  When Weaver comes in at 6-3, long and strong enough to not get pushed around, and who is also a good offensive rebounder, I think they relax a little bit.  They know she is a freshman, they know she needs to improve herself.  But just about everytime she has come in in a long time, we have played better.

LadybackBBFan

And coach has stressed that she is working hard to get better.