Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Preferred walkons

Started by oldfart, February 09, 2018, 04:20:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfart

can someone who is more knowlegeable about the subject give a listing of the preferred walkons to date, similar to what has been listed for the signees?  i see blogs on several but often dont include measureables, possible positions, etc. looks like a good group but id like to know a bit more

Con el Cerdos

I read somewhere that Morris has 7 preferred walk-ons coming in.  I have six names so far but I don't know who the other one is.

Peyton Ausley, 6'3" 180 WR, Austin, Tx Vandergriff
Matthew Phillips, 5'11" 183, punter, Brentwood, Tn
Nathan Parodi, I think about 5'9" 156, CB and returner, Lake Travis High School
Reid Bauer, 5'11" 195, punter, Magnolia, TEXAS
Chad Stephens, 6' 205, punter, Dodge City JC
Cameron Vail, 6'1" 185, safety, Bryant, Ar

Hogindasticks

MP24

Might be Preston Stanford a kicker from Catholic High School in Baton Rouge.
January 01, 2019, 08:53:32 am »
I love me some Chelsea Dungee.

elviscat

We picked up some great speed out of these walk-ons. I am impressed by how many are coming from Texas. We have the connection now to mine Texas and I've been saying that for years, it's about building relationship and we now have it. We will be a world class program in a very short period of time. Coach Morris reminds me of Frank Broyles, he is focus on what it will take to build a winner. The hogs are back.

oldfart

thanks for the info.  looks like competition for punter. i think some of these are also good athletes for other positions or special teams

bphi11ips

Quote from: MP24 on February 09, 2018, 06:28:24 pm
Might be Preston Stanford a kicker from Catholic High School in Baton Rouge.

That's right.

Otis Kirk listed Matthew Phillips as a punter, but he is a combo kicker.  Here is a skills tape taken by James Wilhoit:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nW_k0W1Oe6g
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

lumphog

Quote from: oldfart on February 09, 2018, 06:40:37 pm
thanks for the info.  looks like competition for punter. i think some of these are also good athletes for other positions or special teams
Hey Old Fart , Go check out Cameron Vail's hudl video in the other thread, It's impressive Dude's a THUMPER

perfectgame

Thomas Muldrow from prescott, my guess is he was the best athlete on the field in every game he played this season. otis kirk did a story on him

bphi11ips

Quote from: perfectgame on February 09, 2018, 07:15:52 pm
Thomas Muldrow from prescott, my guess is he was the best athlete on the field in every game he played this season. otis kirk did a story on him

Great get!

https://247sports.com/Player/Thomas-Muldrow-46052501

Cambridge Hog

World Class, huh?  Does the Cartel sell that darn cheap in your town.  We are MAYBE, state class right now and State may have something to say about that. 

rljjr

Quote from: 12247 on February 10, 2018, 02:05:06 pm
World Class, huh?  Does the Cartel sell that darn cheap in your town.  We are MAYBE, state class right now and State may have something to say about that. 

So, just for your edification, the sentence was future tense.

BIGSKY

Sure wish they would extend a preferred walk on offer to PA's Brett Lynch. Kid catches everything that touches his hands.

oldfart

pretty sure there is a maximum on preferred walkons but im probably wrong. the number10 seems to be lingering back there hiding somewhere

ricepig

Quote from: oldfart on February 10, 2018, 03:56:57 pm
pretty sure there is a maximum on preferred walkons but im probably wrong. the number10 seems to be lingering back there hiding somewhere

I believe it's 20?? You can have 105 in fall camp, the others have to wait until school starts.

rude1

Any day 1 starters in that group? Oh never mind wrong staff............

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: perfectgame on February 09, 2018, 07:15:52 pm

Don't know if you are wishing or know that he has been offered.  I hope it's offered because I really like him.  He's got the speed and quicks that we need on offense.  He would be a handful in the slot position.

perfectgame

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on February 10, 2018, 04:40:19 pm
Don't know if you are wishing or know that he has been offered.  I hope it's offered because I really like him.  He's got the speed and quicks that we need on offense.  He would be a handful in the slot position.
will be a walk on

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on February 10, 2018, 04:16:48 pm
I believe it's 20?? You can have 105 in fall camp, the others have to wait until school starts.

This is pretty much correct. 105 players can participate in Fall Camp. A team can have no more than 85 scholarship players in camp, so that means a full squad includes at least 20 non-scholarship players.  But, as I believe happened at Arkansas last year, not all 85 scholarship players dressed for Fall Camp, so the 105 will be filled under those circumstances by non-scholarship players.

Based on what I think I learned this year, "preferred walk-on" is not a term defined by the NCAA and does not mean the same thing at every school. Not every school has a preferred walk-on program, but most do. Arkansas follows what I believe is the most common definition of PWO, i.e., a player who accepts a PWO will have a place on the 105 roster at the beginning of Fall Camp of his freshman year. He is treated as a member of the team for all purposes other than the scholarship. He has to earn the right to stay on the roster.

PWO's are especially common for kickers at the P5 level, where schools typically only allocate one scholarship each for a punter and a kicker, and sometimes for a deep snapper.  PWO kickers compete for those scholarships when they come open understanding that coaches are constantly recruiting to find someone better. But scholarship athletes deal with the same situation for playing time. 

The roster at Arkansas expands to 120 on the first day of classes.  Last year that extra 15 players included a couple of scholarship players who did not participate in Fall Camp.

oldfart

thanks that answers my question above. I knew the "preferred" logo indicated that they would be on the 105 roster at the start of camp and not have to wait until  classes began.  its always good to be able to have guys that might have been overlooked, came from a small school, hadn't been able to go to camp, etc., to be able to have a chance to try out.  some come on to make some good contributions to the team in some way or another, even if to serve as tackling dummies...