Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Numbers question---AGAIN!

Started by lakecityhog, February 07, 2018, 08:44:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

I am so screwed up on the numbers available for the 2018 season. I thought that with Rogers and Heinrich we had as many as 3 slots open after the early signing period. Yet reading this article has me really confused:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/feb/07/state-hogs-chavis-caldwell-glad-be-re-united/

"With 16 on the books, Morris said the Hogs could still add six more. There are 22 slots open after crossing off the three - Ty Clary, Hayden Henry and Gary Cross - that were signed last year as "blue shirts." However, he said they would only sign perfect fits and that might only be another two or three."

What does that statement mean? Are those 3 kids still on the roster? Do they have scholarships?

RebelW

He will make room. Not everyone on the roster right now will be here by fall camp. Transfers are coming

lakecityhog

I'm asking about those 3 in particular because the comment expressly said "crossed off".

PorkSoda

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 07, 2018, 08:50:03 pm
I'm asking about those 3 in particular because the comment expressly said "crossed off".
with 6 slots left, those 3 take 3 slots leaving 3 open slots
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ArkansasI

He's saying 22 available in this class after those 3 get scollys. You may sign 25 each year. Of course, that's just a message to go to work or leave if you don't want to be here. We don't have room for 25.

jgphillips3

I read that as "buy in" or we'll find someone who wants that scholarship.  But yes, the three blue shirts leave us 22 slots and 16 have signed.  So, 6 left under the 25 but unless transfers come, there aren't really 6 slots available when we hit fall camp.

Bash

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 07, 2018, 08:44:14 pm
I am so screwed up on the numbers available for the 2018 season. I thought that with Rogers and Heinrich we had as many as 3 slots open after the early signing period. Yet reading this article has me really confused:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2018/feb/07/state-hogs-chavis-caldwell-glad-be-re-united/

"With 16 on the books, Morris said the Hogs could still add six more. There are 22 slots open after crossing off the three - Ty Clary, Hayden Henry and Gary Cross - that were signed last year as "blue shirts." However, he said they would only sign perfect fits and that might only be another two or three."

What does that statement mean? Are those 3 kids still on the roster? Do they have scholarships?

You forgot to carry the 1 and you forgot the transitive property.  Then PERMDAS to get the variable needed for the basic f(x). Once you have that it's simply a matter of using the quadratic equation.

Now, I'm sure some math smarty pants will come along and correct my verbiage and/or presentation, but it's been years since I passed my College Algebra CLEP exam, so I'm a little rusty.

Just know that CCM is a math major.  Following recruiting has gotten a little harder.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

lakecityhog

Ok, so as of right now we are 3 over the 85 and that is counting Rogers and Heinrich, correct?
Morris is saying possibly 1 or 2 more by Friday which means possibly 5 over the 85 limit.

I have seen mention of at least 1 or 2 grad transfer O'Linemen that Morris is looking at which could us up to 7 over. That is a LOT of kids coming out of the system, so much for "4 year guaranteed scholarships"!!!

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Bash on February 07, 2018, 10:05:20 pm
You forgot to carry the 1 and you forgot the transitive property.  Then PERMDAS to get the variable needed for the basic f(x). Once you have that it's simply a matter of using the quadratic equation.

Now, I'm sure some math smarty pants will come along and correct my verbiage and/or presentation, but it's been years since I passed my College Algebra CLEP exam, so I'm a little rusty.

Just know that CCM is a math major.  Following recruiting has gotten a little harder.

Thanks Sheldon...

nwahogfan1

Quote from: lakecityhog on February 07, 2018, 08:44:14 pm

I know what you mean.  It is tough to figure out because it is so fluid and because coaches make decisions all the time to change the numbers so they can sign who can help the team.  Numbers will change again after spring practice and some kids will be asked to transfer.  I just sit back and let the coaches do what they need to do to help us win.   I hate as much as anyone that coaches have to ask kids to vacate a scholarship but it is usually best for the kid because they find a place for him to land where he can contribute and that is the just the way it is done to compete in the SEC. 

Bash

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Quote from: Bash on February 10, 2018, 09:49:43 pm
Sheldon can actually do math.  I just make stuff up.
Looks about right to me... ;)
If at first you don't succeed,
then skydiving is not for you...

ricepig

It's simple, we're at 90 players either on scholarship, or scheduled to be by summer school/fall camp. We still need 5 guys to leave this spring.

Bash

Quote from: Dr. Sheldon Cooper on February 11, 2018, 08:47:42 am
Looks about right to me... ;)

You remember that uncle you had when you were a kid that thought he knew everything about everything and you thought he was the smartest, coolest and funnest guy ever?  But then you grew up and realized he was a complete idiot that knew nothing about anything?  I'm that uncle.

Seebs

We need five players to participate in the Brey Cook school of tweeting and we have no issues.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

NuttinItUp

Can a kid that is on scholarship voluntarily give up a scholarship and become a walk-on player for the same team he previously had a scholarship for?