Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Luke Jones and Notre Dame

Started by Tusks, December 18, 2017, 10:54:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogCzar1

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on December 27, 2017, 06:18:52 pm
Nothing guarantees success. However, a degree from Harvard, Yale or Stanford will open up doors not possible otherwise. It's just fact.

Maybe. But, those are most likely out of state.  I know a number of UA grads who work for Fortune 500 companies. Their UA degree was just as valuable as any from ND, Stanford, Yale, Duke, or any other school.

MavND1973

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 07:26:20 pm
Just out of curiosity, do any of your bosses hold degrees from the UofA?

No, I'm self-employed. However, my Girlfriend does and she claims to be the boss.

I have a pretty good idea where that question is leading, and I'll preemptively respond by saying this.....

I largely believe an education is for the most part, regardless of institution of higher learning, exactly what you put into it. I do also recognize that not everyone subscribes to that way of thinking and hence they place a greater emphasis on "Name" schools with a certain pedigree. As I stated in my previous post, I consider the U of A (and especially the Walton School of Business) to be top notch. I also just don't believe it gets the deserved credit or national recognition it deserves.

ricepig

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 27, 2017, 07:34:09 pm
No, I'm self-employed. However, my Girlfriend does and she claims to be the boss.

I have a pretty good idea where that question is leading, and I'll preemptively respond by saying this.....

I largely believe an education is for the most part, regardless of institution of higher learning, exactly what you put into it. I do also recognize that not everyone subscribes to that way of thinking and hence they place a greater emphasis on "Name" schools with a certain pedigree. As I stated in my previous post, I consider the U of A (and especially the Walton School of Business) to be top notch. I also just don't believe it gets the deserved credit or national recognition it deserves.

My only point was that where you received your degree isn't always the determining factor in your success. So, since you are self-employed, your ND degree really made no difference in your success, correct?

MavND1973

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 07:39:01 pm
My only point was that where you received your degree isn't always the determining factor in your success. So, since you are self-employed, your ND degree really made no difference in your success, correct?
Correct and not correct. I'm certain I could have learned the same business, finance, and accoutning skills at any decent university. I have however, watched the Notre Dame diploma change the course of conversations, open networking doors, and make people more receptive to what I have to say. I guess in short, its a good marketing tool.

MavND1973

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 07:39:01 pm

I do agree that where you got your degree is no substitute for hard work, tenacity, dedication, self-discipline, and integrity. Those values go much further than a name on a diploma. That diploma may have opened doors or started conversations, but my effort and hard work had to keep them open.

Freebrd

Ya think 247 sports will increase his stars from 3 to 4 since signing with ND!!!!   :-\

ricepig

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 27, 2017, 07:43:10 pm
Correct and not correct. I'm certain I could have learned the same business, finance, and accoutning skills at any decent university. I have however, watched the Notre Dame diploma change the course of conversations, open networking doors, and make people more receptive to what I have to say. I guess in short, its a good marketing tool.

Really, I ask for results from people I hire to do work for me, not where they graduated from. Oh well, I could see where it might make a difference in the northeast, or maybe Chicago, I wouldn't think it was that influential in Arkansas. Anyway, it appears Luke has chosen a fine school, I can't wait to visit SB and watch us put a whoopin on the Irish!

195bc

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 07:51:32 pm
Really, I ask for results from people I hire to do work for me, not where they graduated from. Oh well, I could see where it might make a difference in the northeast, or maybe Chicago, I wouldn't think it was that influential in Arkansas. Anyway, it appears Luke has chosen a fine school, I can't wait to visit SB and watch us put a whoopin on the Irish!

The "fraternity"of Notre Dame grads, and the school's reputation, as a whole, will open more doors and provide more opportunities than U of A ever will, throughout the entire country. There is significantly more money in that group. Just look at the endowments. Arkansas' is $1 billion. Notre Dame's is almost $12 billion.

ricepig

Quote from: 195bc on December 27, 2017, 08:12:00 pm
The "fraternity"of Notre Dame grads, and the school's reputation, as a whole, will open more doors and provide more opportunities than U of A ever will, throughout the entire country. There is significantly more money in that group. Just look at the endowments. Arkansas' is $1 billion. Notre Dame's is almost $12 billion.

Not in Arkansas, where most Arkansans tend to work. And they're just Catholics tithing to their church, err school, lol.

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 07:51:32 pm
Certain employers (white shoe investment banks, high end consulting, private equity) recruit out of ND, Ivy, etc. that would never hire a UofA grad. That is just the truth. Maybe the sample size of who you hire isn't a fair representation.

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on December 27, 2017, 08:18:07 pm
Certain employers (white shoe investment banks, high end consulting, private equity) recruit out of ND, Ivy, etc. that would never hire a UofA grad. That is just the truth. Maybe the sample size of who you hire isn't a fair representation.

My son is a UofA graduate and works for one of them, maybe you don't know what you are talking about.

MavND1973

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 08:16:05 pm
Not in Arkansas, where most Arkansans tend to work. And they're just Catholics tithing to their church, err school, lol.

No, they are alums donating to their school.

ricepig

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 27, 2017, 08:24:28 pm
No, they are alums donating to their school.

Sure.......I guess you didn't see the lol, as in a joke???

MavND1973

Quote from: Karma on December 27, 2017, 08:18:07 pm

I think "never" is a grossly overstating it, but it is their primary recruiting ground.

MavND1973

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 08:25:34 pm

No I didn't, both times I read it. My bad. I may be guilty of being pre-conditioned to the "Catholic" stereotypes I so often hear. Usually inaccurate and almost always offensive.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 08:25:34 pm
Nah he went to Notre Dame lol

MavND1973

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 27, 2017, 08:30:33 pm
Nah he went to Notre Dame lol

I'm probably not their most prized graduate. lol

ricepig

Quote from: MavND1973 on December 27, 2017, 08:33:18 pm
I'm probably not their most prized graduate. lol

You need to post more around here, we appreciate those with a sense of humor.

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 08:24:03 pm
My son is a UofA graduate and works for one of them, maybe you don't know what you are talking about.
Me not knowing what I talk about is not a possibility. Which bank/consulting firm/private equity does your son work for?

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on December 27, 2017, 08:46:46 pm
Me not knowing what I talk about is not a possibility. Which bank/consulting firm/private equity does your son work for?

One in Chicago.

MavND1973

Quote from: Wooderson on December 27, 2017, 09:05:17 pm
I wasn't trying to be funny.

I know it must have been rough growing up with parents who were siblings, but don't project your fantasies onto my religion, my family, or my school.

hoggusamoungus

Guess this is the back-up plan.

Arkansas' Dustin Fry reached out to Star City offensive lineman Jax Gasaway on Twitter Wednesday night and plans to see when the January contact period begins.

"He just told me he was going to come see me as soon as recruiting opens back up," Gasaway said.

Fry was the offensive line coach at SMU under Arkansas Coach Chad Morris.

The NCAA contact period which allows college coaches to visit prospects off campus began Nov. 26. The dead period started Dec. 18 and will run through Jan. 11. The contact period resumes the next day.

AirWarren

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 27, 2017, 09:31:05 pm
Guess this is the back-up plan.

Arkansas' Dustin Fry reached out to Star City offensive lineman Jax Gasaway on Twitter Wednesday night and plans to see when the January contact period begins.

"He just told me he was going to come see me as soon as recruiting opens back up," Gasaway said.

Fry was the offensive line coach at SMU under Arkansas Coach Chad Morris.

The NCAA contact period which allows college coaches to visit prospects off campus began Nov. 26. The dead period started Dec. 18 and will run through Jan. 11. The contact period resumes the next day.

He is a big kid.

RazorPiggie

Depends on where Mr Jones plans on living life after football. ND will open him up nationally but if he comes back to Arkansas it isn't going to help him more than a degree and being a former player for the hogs would.

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on December 27, 2017, 09:53:22 pm
Law firm.

I believe the retort is, "that's a very specific answer".

Oklahawg

If I read somewhere that the staff didn't go 100% bullrush on this kid I will be pissed.

I am prepared to be pissed.

===

Maybe ND really is about to return to the big time and I just haven't seen the proof yet.

Good luck to Jones.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Tusks

Bunch of snowflakes.

He was committed to the hogs and then flipped to ND.  Off with his head.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 10:01:47 pm
I believe the retort is, "that's a very specific answer".
I never claimed my employer required an elite background. So not really relevant to the discussion.

Tusks

Thanks to all the ND fans for coming onto the board and telling us all there reasons about how great you guys are and why it's so much better than AR.  Kisses to you.

ND is nothing but a poor mans USCw.

greasy_corner

Quote from: AP85 on December 27, 2017, 01:53:00 pm
Hogs/Miami then irish.

My god, you are me. 

When I was 12 yrs old in 1985. 

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on December 27, 2017, 10:06:34 pm
I never claimed my employer required an elite background. So not really relevant to the discussion.

Nor did I, you made that erroneous claim.

sowmonella

Quote from: tusked on December 27, 2017, 10:10:21 pm
Thanks to all the ND fans for coming onto the board and telling us all there reasons about how great you guys are and why it's so much better than AR.  Kisses to you.

ND is nothing but a poor mans USCw.

100% Hog Fan here but your post is offensive and shows extreme ignorance.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Quote from: ricepig on December 27, 2017, 10:25:14 pm
Nor did I, you made that erroneous claim.
Maybe you should read your last few posts in this thread with a closer eye. You said your son is employed by one of the elite companies I listed with a U of A degree. I just asked which one.

Tusks

Quote from: sowmonella on December 27, 2017, 10:28:08 pm
100% Hog Fan here but your post is offensive and shows extreme ignorance.

hahahahahahahahahaha.  the truth is offensive and ignorant.  off your meds much.

Oklahawg

I know there isn't much to do in Gary, IN (isn't that where ND is located :) ) but the Irish fans who've come here seem to have stirred up the locals.

I locked the thread so we don't wind up in some sort of timeout over involving politics, religion, and recruiting in the same thread.

Slightly off topic, how is it that root for Ivy League college but can't ever root for a private D1 college in anything? The Little Ivy League is even more interesting to me.

And, none of that last paragraph means a hill of beans.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra