Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Talk of UALR football gaining momentum

Started by Sweet Feet, July 24, 2017, 12:28:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hog of steele

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 05, 2017, 07:01:26 pm
The Citadel wants to talk to Jeff Long about scheduling another game soon.  ;)

Could you imagine how embarrassing that loss is if it was UCA? No upside to that.

Ben

Quote from: hog of steele on October 05, 2017, 02:35:52 pm
The fact that you have to make this post is why UA will not play ASU. You lost and now you have to deal with UCA fans crowing about UCA. There aren't a ton of those but its obnoxious and from the outside, it looks like a legit argument. I love UCA. I even went there for a while. ASU is clearly a better program. But you have to deal with this until you put a proper thumping on them.

Nothing to gain for ASU. You shouldn't have played them.
i get the mindset since broyles instilled it in the fans. But if every college had this mindset, college sports would be absolutely boring. a real competetive program is not going to be worried about what the other fanbase says if they win, to the point they want to avoid and run from them like cowards. they are simply going to shut them up the next go around. A true champion doesn't run from anyone
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hog of steele on October 06, 2017, 10:35:34 am
Could you imagine how embarrassing that loss is if it was UCA? No upside to that.

Jack Crowe says Hi.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Sweet Feet

DeltaBoy

They hired a firm to do a study so it is getting serious.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ben

It is getting serious. It's one thing for LR officials and powers to want an alternative for the Hogs not using WMS anymore. It's another when the students complete a 1000 vote petition for the cause, along with LR natives wanting it to happen. That petition spiked things into gear.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

Sweet Feet

The legislative approved everything. The feasibility study is now about to roll.

Arkstfan

It is a math problem.

UALR charges a higher student athletic fee than AState and currently only sponsors 14 sports and awards around 105 scholarships (about 15 below what the NCAA permits for the sports they have).

To be FBS, they have to sponsor 16 sports and award a minimum of 200 scholarships.

If you add it all up, UALR's ANNUAL operating budget has to increase by a minimum of $7 million just to be a competitive Sun Belt program.

That's every single year spending $7 million more than they currently spend and they already have a high athletic fee.

Now in addition to that.

They have to have offices to house 10 full time coaches, four GA's, a director of video operations, and a football director of operations. I'm assuming they can make room where they are for another assistant SID.

They need 10 meeting rooms. One for each position coach and one capable of handling the entire team.

They need a weight room capable of handling at least 105 more players than they currently serve with their weight facility.

They need training and treatment rooms to handle the 10-20 players nursing injuries during the season.

They need a place to practice that is preferably on or adjacent to campus and the coaches offices.

They need academic space for tutors to run study halls and individual academic work for around 105 more athletes than they currently have.

All together they need a capital outlay of roughly $20 million.

Now I think UALR can raise $20 million to get all the facilities they need, in 2017 dollars they got $30 million for the Jack Stephens Center.

It's the $7 million ringing up every year and almost assuredly rising that is going to be the problem.

I'm not positive but I think UALR only offers full cost of attendance in men's and women's basketball.

But the budget they have right now most years has them battling ULM for the most last and next to last place finishes in the Sun Belt across the 14 sports they offer. Most Sun Belt schools are offering full cost of attendance in all 16 to 18 sports they offer and are awarding 100% of their allowed scholarships which UALR only does in men's and women's hoops, volleyball and baseball. The other 10 sports are not full funded.

Getting the UA board to bless football is going to be a battle of how much of the annual operating budget increase the board is going to demand be in the bank before approving football.

UAB had to have one year in the bank and two more years covered by pledges before they added football and when the gap in funding grew, they pulled the plug on football until the locals pledged enough to cover the gap.

hog of steele

The stadium situation has to help. War memorial is old but it's big for a non power 5 stadium. I wonder what they can hope to make on a stadium deal.

Arkstfan

Quote from: hog of steele on October 23, 2017, 05:00:17 pm
The stadium situation has to help. War memorial is old but it's big for a non power 5 stadium. I wonder what they can hope to make on a stadium deal.
Upside is they don't need a capital outlay to obtain a stadium. Downside is there will be rent, reduced concession and parking revenue compared to having a stadium.

twistitup

Quote from: Arkstfan on October 23, 2017, 07:41:19 pm
Upside is they don't need a capital outlay to obtain a stadium. Downside is there will be rent, reduced concession and parking revenue compared to having a stadium.

As long as they serve FP errrthing will be just fine.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Ben

DeltaBoy

Sweet Feet

Moves are being made! Im glad the students worked on that petition! That was the pushing factor needed

Sweet Feet

GolfNut57

Quote from: Sweet Feet on January 20, 2018, 10:06:17 pm
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2018/jan/20/buying-in-20180120/

A big write up in today's paper

Article said that to get it going it would take all of Little Rocks support to do it and not just UALR students.

IOWs, they have little chance of it coming to fruition.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

hog of steele

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 21, 2018, 12:34:51 am
Article said that to get it going it would take all of Little Rocks support to do it and not just UALR students.

IOWs, they have little chance of it coming to fruition.

I thought the telling part was that UALR was shrinking. You cannot commit to football if that trend continues.

DeltaBoy

UALR needs to get to recruiting more students

hawkhawg

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 22, 2018, 08:42:47 am
UALR needs to get to recruiting more students

Isn't UALR, UCA, and A-State all about the same size.

hog of steele

Quote from: hawkhawg on January 22, 2018, 10:02:31 pm

Apparently yes. But there are some important differences. UCA has more on campus students. Those are the kind of kids who would attend football games. UCA is growing. The long trend for UCA has been steady growth. But, probably most important thing is that UCA is playing 1aa. And, they have grown into that slowly.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hawkhawg on January 22, 2018, 10:02:31 pm

Same size in what regard? Size of campus? On campus students? Or total enrollment? Campus wise I gotta believe ASU is bigger than the other two. And definitely bigger than UALR as to students living on campus.

holeinthewall

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 23, 2018, 02:54:32 am
Same size in what regard? Size of campus? On campus students? Or total enrollment? Campus wise I gotta believe ASU is bigger than the other two. And definitely bigger than UALR as to students living on campus.

I would agree with all that.  UALR is a hell hole.  Little on campus housing.  Awful area of the city. No student college life to speak of. Declining enrollment.

UCA I could see drawing well for football games if they moved up and had some decent teams come to Conway. You can be from west little rock to Conway in under 30 minutes.

GolfNut57

Quote from: holeinthewall on January 23, 2018, 08:32:46 am
I would agree with all that.  UALR is a hell hole.  Little on campus housing.  Awful area of the city. No student college life to speak of. Declining enrollment.

UCA I could see drawing well for football games if they moved up and had some decent teams come to Conway. You can be from west little rock to Conway in under 30 minutes.

and if they got rid of that godawful purple/gray turf.  :puke:

DeltaBoy

Quote from: holeinthewall on January 23, 2018, 08:32:46 am

\

I been on campus at least once a year and the neighborhood is no where as nice as it was when I got out in 1991.  But is not a hell hole.

hog of steele

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 23, 2018, 08:37:15 am
and if they got rid of that godawful purple/gray turf.  :puke:

It is horrendous. The good news for everybody is that it cannot be replaced. They got a special deferment from the rules about grass color because they had purchased but not installed it. The deferment only lasts the life of the turf. When they replace it, it will have to be traditionally colored grass.

I don't see UCA having the clout to get an exception beyond that.

GolfNut57

Quote from: hog of steele on January 23, 2018, 04:34:02 pm
It is horrendous. The good news for everybody is that it cannot be replaced. They got a special deferment from the rules about grass color because they had purchased but not installed it. The deferment only lasts the life of the turf. When they replace it, it will have to be traditionally colored grass.

I don't see UCA having the clout to get an exception beyond that.

Wonder how long the lifespan of that turf is?

twistitup

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 23, 2018, 10:04:33 am
\

I been on campus at least once a year and the neighborhood is no where as nice as it was when I got out in 1991.  But is not a hell hole.

...and it's not a s-hole
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

Quote from: twistitup on January 24, 2018, 05:03:39 am
...and it's not a s-hole

It a nice campus and I would go back if I lived in LR and needed another degree.

Sweet Feet

ark30inf

Not afraid of this. We would get a free game in LR every other year and a nice visitor crowd at home every other year.  The rivalry aspect would get us a bit more media attention in Central Arkansas and probably help our student recruitment efforts.  We currently recruit nationwide and so would UALR.  You can't run around scared of things.  If this thing was some sort of danger, we would never play Memphis. But we love playing Memphis and would never run from them.  I'm afraid this would hurt UCA a bit as an FCS in terms of attention. But they do a lot of Texas recruiting so they also would be ok.  That said, it would be a difficult road for UALR and they better have their finances ready. It ain't easy.f