Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pacific Northwest

Started by kibster, June 15, 2016, 12:58:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kibster

My wife and I will be taking our third trip to the PNW in September and are wondering if anyone has any "musts" to either do or eat.  This is mainly a foodcentric vacation (for me anyway) so I am always looking for places to eat (although I have picked many places out already and have reservations).

We are flying out to Portland for two nights, then to Cannon Beach for two nights, drive up to the San Juan Islands for a night, back down to Seattle for two nights, then a quick stop in Denver for a night for a concert at Red Rocks, then home. 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Boog41

Elliotts is a great place, on the water, in Seattle.

www.elliottsoysterhouse.com

For fine dining in Seattle, it's hard to beat Canlis.

www.canlis.com

Pink Door is also great.

www.thepinkdoor.net

kibster

Quote from: Boog41 on June 15, 2016, 01:22:11 pm
Elliotts is a great place, on the water, in Seattle.

www.elliottsoysterhouse.com

For fine dining in Seattle, it's hard to beat Canlis.

www.canlis.com

Pink Door is also great.

www.thepinkdoor.net

Have you been to Canlis?  It was between there and Altura for dinner one night and I am leaning toward Altura.

I will check in to the other two.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

HawgWild

Are you taking the ferry over from Anacortes to the SJ islands? I'd suggest taking the ferry back through Port Townsend (where Officer & Gentleman was filmed many moons ago) and then down to Bainbridge Island for the ferry into Seattle. Beautiful view of the city coming into dock and right there at the market. Be sure to tour the Market. Don't forget to duck when they throw the fish!

Where are you staying in Seattle?

Drive up to Ecola State Park just north of Cannon Beach for some really nice views back to the city and Haystack Rock.

kibster

Quote from: HawgWild on June 15, 2016, 01:47:05 pm
Are you taking the ferry over from Anacortes to the SJ islands? I'd suggest taking the ferry back through Port Townsend (where Officer & Gentleman was filmed many moons ago) and then down to Bainbridge Island for the ferry into Seattle. Beautiful view of the city coming into dock and right there at the market. Be sure to tour the Market. Don't forget to duck when they throw the fish!

Where are you staying in Seattle?

Drive up to Ecola State Park just north of Cannon Beach for some really nice views back to the city and Haystack Rock.

for the San Juan Islands we are staying at Willows Inn on Lummi Island (which is considered one of the top restaurants in the US and a definite bucket list place for me).  Although I do need to check in to using some of the ferries to get back down to SEA. Our first trip in to Seattle we arrived on the ferry from Bremerton  We are doing an AirBnB place two blocks from the market and I love that area.

We are actually staying in Arch Cape just south of Cannon Beach.  My wife and I got married on that beach a little over nine years ago.  I like Arch Cape because it is really remote and peaceful,  but close enough to Cannon Beach that I can go in to town to eat and "be a tourist" but can get away from tourists when we like.

Boog41

Quote from: kibster on June 15, 2016, 01:25:44 pm
Have you been to Canlis?  It was between there and Altura for dinner one night and I am leaning toward Altura.

I will check in to the other two.

Yes, I have eaten at Canlis. Fine dining without being stuffy. Great views also.

HawgWild

You could take the ferry from Port Angeles over to Victoria for "high tea" at the Fairmont! Just kidding.

I was stationed up there in the Army for a couple of years. Loved it. Been back a few times. Can't get enough of the place. Most of my suggestions would take you away from Seattle. There used to be a small theater next to Pike Place Market. We saw "Reefer Madness: The Musical". Crazy play. A few years later it finally made it off Broadway in New York.

kibster

Quote from: HawgWild on June 15, 2016, 02:22:00 pm
You could take the ferry from Port Angeles over to Victoria for "high tea" at the Fairmont! Just kidding.

I was stationed up there in the Army for a couple of years. Loved it. Been back a few times. Can't get enough of the place. Most of my suggestions would take you away from Seattle. There used to be a small theater next to Pike Place Market. We saw "Reefer Madness: The Musical". Crazy play. A few years later it finally made it off Broadway in New York.

I want to hear suggestions away from Seattle!  We like to go off the beaten path.

kibster

Quote from: Boog41 on June 15, 2016, 02:21:16 pm
Yes, I have eaten at Canlis. Fine dining without being stuffy. Great views also.

May see if I can convince the wife to go to Canlis.  For some reason I thought they were closed on Mondays and I would have to pick between Altura and Canlis, but I can swing both now.  Just have to convince her to go to a fifth big ticket meal on the trip.

HawgWild

From Port Townsend you could drive over to Port Angeles and up along Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. From the top you can see Victoria on a clear day. It's not that much further but a beautiful drive on over to Sol Duc Hot Springs.

Have you ever been to Snoqualmie Falls. It's east of Seattle, about 30 miles. If you're old enough to remember Northern Exposure, it was filmed in Roslyn and that's another 30 miles down the road.

DLUXHOG

Olympic National Park.... do it!   
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hawgrunner

Quote from: HawgWild on June 15, 2016, 03:01:07 pm
From Port Townsend you could drive over to Port Angeles and up along Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. From the top you can see Victoria on a clear day. It's not that much further but a beautiful drive on over to Sol Duc Hot Springs.

Have you ever been to Snoqualmie Falls. It's east of Seattle, about 30 miles. If you're old enough to remember Northern Exposure, it was filmed in Roslyn and that's another 30 miles down the road.

Spent some time up in the area on business working in Bremerton both during summer and winter months I'd have to agree with this very good idea.

bennyl08

Skillets on Capital Hill in Seattle is a good place. Not your downtown area eating place. I live in the PNW area, but honestly, not much of a foodie.

Now, if you are looking for hikes or scenic drives, I can give you more than you have time for. However, food wise, I doubt you'll be going down to Salem or Corvallis or Tri-cities Washington. If you can afford the extra time, I'd highly reccomend you at least drive up the Columbia River Gorge from Portland, then cross the river and head up the Rainier, camp there, then go to seattle. That way, you can get some extreme bang for your buck in scenery. Namely, you get to see Portland and the breweries there. Then the rain forest and scenery of the gorge before hitting the eastern NW high desert which is very scenic in it's own right IMO. You get good views of Hood and St. Helens on a clear day, views of the 500+ foot Multnomah falls, then get to see the tallest mountain in the cascaded in Rainier before going back to seattle.

Of course, you turn a 3 hour drive into a 7 hour drive in the process plus whatever stops you want to make.

As for food, find some taco trucks. Better tacos than you can ever find in Arkansas by far. Salmon is to die for up here. Seafood in general is pretty solid. Basically, seafood, asian, and hispanic food are the three staples in the NW. There actually some really good bbq at certain places, but typically in smaller towns.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: kibster on June 15, 2016, 02:25:46 pm
I want to hear suggestions away from Seattle!  We like to go off the beaten path.

Head down to Portland and hit up the Columbia River gorge. Great hiking trails abound. Also, if you were to make it down to south Oregon, Crater Lake is fantastic.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

The OTR

Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on August 15, 2016, 09:22:44 pm

Head down to Portland and hit up the Columbia River gorge. Great hiking trails abound. Also, if you were to make it down to south Oregon, Crater Lake is fantastic.

there's a great breakfast restaurants there, one of the best around. Can't think of the name though..

kibster

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on August 16, 2016, 02:34:12 pm
there's a great breakfast restaurants there, one of the best around. Can't think of the name though..

In the Columbia River Gorge or near crater lake?  I won't get down to Crater Lake, but will be in the Gorge area.

razr70

In Portland we enjoyed Ringside Steakhouse and Mucca Osteria.

BR

Portland has a ton of great place... Check out some of spots Dinners, Drive Inn's & Dives have went... We have done a lot of them up there, ALL GREAT... A German Rest in Tacoma is freakin awesome, that was on there..  Just google it,iot will give you list of places..
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

HogHolio

If you are looking for views Portland City grill is a nice restaurant with great views as it is on top floor of one of the buildings. I'd probably hit the bar and happy hour for apps. and then go somewhere else for dinner, as the food doesn't rival the view and is priced like it does. 
Ringside as someone else mentioned is really good, if your looking a little more casual/reasonable and like Italian I'm a fan of Nostrana. To be honest there are a ton of great restaurants in PDX. During the day I always like to hit up the food trucks and get a little variety.

I've stayed at Skamania lodge near Columbia river gorge and enjoyed the stay. Can get in a nice round of golf there as well.  Also a must is on the cascade locks side of the gorge is an ice cream shop (kind of a old school soda fountain shop). They have soft serve ice cream with like a thousand flavors that is a must do. Trust me when I say get the small!  I really am not a big fan of ice cream, but this is worth the experience.

I've only been to cannon beach a couple times and don't remember the food. I will say campfire on the beach is a must though! Nothing better than the cool salty pacific air and a fire on the beach with a cold brew looking at the Goonies monolith... 

theFlyingHog

I keep hearing about some place with good coffee up there. Starbucks or some such.

I really like Oak Harbor area. Well, I like most of the state from Leavenworth and west. Not easy. I hate east of Leavenworth. I always end up around Pasco and it suuuucks

Cobbler

If you haven't already reserved your ferry spot to the San Juans, I would go ahead and do that. Nothing worse than getting stuck for 3-4 hours waiting on a ferry.

https://secureapps.wsdot.wa.gov/Ferries/Reservations/Vehicle/default.aspx

bennyl08

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

kibster

It was a fantastic trip.  Weather was amazing (high mid 70s, no rain).  Couple nights in Portland, couple nights in our favorite place to stay on the coast (where I watched the Hogs beat TCU with my tv only a couple feet from the beach watching the sunset), a night on Lummi Island for what is considered one of the top destination restaurants in the country, Seattle for a couple nights, then a quick layover in Denver on the way home for a Jason Isbell concert at Red Rocks (I would not recommend a 21 hour visit to a city after 8 nights of travel, exhausting and coupled with all the rental car issues and hotel issues, glad I didn't murder someone).

Food was fantastic.  One of the best meals of my life was in Seattle, real solid food the entire trip.

kibster

Going to bump this thread.  Wife and I are headed back to the Pacific Northwest next week.  This time we will start in the Willamette Valley in Oregon for a few nights, then head out to the Oregon Coast for a three nights, then up to Port Townsend, WA to see that area.  Never been on that part of Washington.  Always stayed in Seattle and north of there, so exited to see two areas I have not previously seen (Port Townsend and Willamette Valley).

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on October 07, 2019, 03:20:27 pm
Going to bump this thread.  Wife and I are headed back to the Pacific Northwest next week.  This time we will start in the Willamette Valley in Oregon for a few nights, then head out to the Oregon Coast for a three nights, then up to Port Townsend, WA to see that area.  Never been on that part of Washington.  Always stayed in Seattle and north of there, so exited to see two areas I have not previously seen (Port Townsend and Willamette Valley).

Post pics, would love to see them.  ImHogginIt sent me a link to a place he's stayed on the Oregon coast and that's on our bucket list.   It'll either be next year or the year after. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

kibster

Would be curious what place he sent you.

I have a place that is absolutely wonderful. Will be our fifth time at this place.

Boarcephus

Quote from: kibster on October 07, 2019, 06:40:13 pm
Would be curious what place he sent you.

I have a place that is absolutely wonderful. Will be our fifth time at this place.

This is the place.  I can see myself sitting on the patio watching the storms come in after walking the beach digging clams.  If yours is better than this, I'd love to see it.

https://www.a1beachrentals.com/booking/seamist/1215-51631

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 07, 2019, 07:22:58 pm
This is the place.  I can see myself sitting on the patio watching the storms come in after walking the beach digging clams.  If yours is better than this, I'd love to see it.

That is a public beach access down below. The entrance was a little too sandy for many vehicles and it was fun drinking and watching the ways people would try and get themselves unstuck. You simply can't beat that price for the view anywhere. We pay a ton more when we stay in California or on the East coast.

kibster

Quote from: Boarcephus on October 07, 2019, 07:22:58 pm

That is a good looking place, especially if you are bringing the family.  Here is where I stay:
https://oceanpoint-inn.com/
It is only a three room place and we always stay in the One Bedroom Suite.  Perfect for a getaway with just the wife.  The website doesn't really do it justice. It is a "public" beach, but there is no place for parking, so no one is ever there.  Also, there is no light pollution, so a great place to watch the starts.  Last year we watched a meteor shower on the beach.  Lastly, it is about 5 minutes away from Cannon Beach, which is a touristy area so has everything else you could really want.

Here are a couple photos from some of my trips:
(sunset)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpA57W7FGmF/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

(my breakfast brought to room each morning, this doesn't include my wife's)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKL143Ljm-7/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

(notice the hogs game)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKMqGNGDtl_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Boarcephus

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 08, 2019, 01:10:25 am
That is a public beach access down below. The entrance was a little too sandy for many vehicles and it was fun drinking and watching the ways people would try and get themselves unstuck. You simply can't beat that price for the view anywhere. We pay a ton more when we stay in California or on the East coast.

This place has intrigued me since the day you sent the link.  Our 40th Anniversary is next year and we may just very well find a place for the new pup, fly out there and spend 5 or 6 days.  Head north one day, south the next and generally just sight see.  Probably will never go back but want to do it once plus we're not getting any younger and now's as good a time as any. 

Boog41

I am not going to be able to offer any help on Oregon. I'm going to be watching this thread though to see if anyone posts about Willamette Valley. Pinot Noir is my drink of choice and I really want to go to this area.

Now if anyone needs help with Sonoma pinot country, I've been more times than I can remember and have tons of suggestions there.

ImHogginIt

October 08, 2019, 11:22:38 pm #31 Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:41:13 am by ImHogginIt
Quote from: Boarcephus on October 08, 2019, 05:19:24 pm
This place has intrigued me since the day you sent the link.  Our 40th Anniversary is next year and we may just very well find a place for the new pup, fly out there and spend 5 or 6 days.  Head north one day, south the next and generally just sight see.  Probably will never go back but want to do it once plus we're not getting any younger and now's as good a time as any.

I loved the location overlooking the beach down below and just staring out across the pacific. We went in mid October a few years ago and it was only like $150 a night for 4 nights. Simply can't beat that bargain for any decent place on an ocean and we've been all over the country at different places over the years. If ya don't like that house there are others just as reasonable in Oregon. Here are a few pics I took

kibster

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 08, 2019, 11:22:38 pm
I loved the location overlooking the beach down below and just staring out across the pacific. We went in mid October a few years ago and it was only like $150 a night for 4 nights. Simply can't beat that bargain for any decent place on an ocean and we've been all over the country at different places over the years. If ya don't like that house there are others just as reasonable in Oregon. Here are a few pics I took

Those are some great photos.  I love that coast.

And a total Luddite question - How do you post photos like that?  Are you hosting them somewhere or directly uploading to HV?

Boarcephus

Quote from: ImHogginIt on October 08, 2019, 11:22:38 pm

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  How do you beat this view?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: kibster on October 09, 2019, 07:53:07 am
Those are some great photos.  I love that coast.

And a total Luddite question - How do you post photos like that?  Are you hosting them somewhere or directly uploading to HV?

Directly loading from my computer

kibster

razr70

Quote from: Boog41 on October 08, 2019, 05:43:21 pm
I am not going to be able to offer any help on Oregon. I'm going to be watching this thread though to see if anyone posts about Willamette Valley. Pinot Noir is my drink of choice and I really want to go to this area.

Now if anyone needs help with Sonoma pinot country, I've been more times than I can remember and have tons of suggestions there.

There is Lange Estate Winery and Vineyard in Dundee, Oregon that we have visited and enjoyed. They have some very nice Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

Boog41

Quote from: razr70 on October 10, 2019, 04:04:04 pm
There is Lange Estate Winery and Vineyard in Dundee, Oregon that we have visited and enjoyed. They have some very nice Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.

Thanks razr. I've started a file on places to go.

kibster

Back from our trip and it was wonderful as always.  Started the trip in Wine Country for a couple nights and stayed at a great B&B.  Then out to the coast for a few nights to stay at "our place" that we always go to.  Then up to Olympic National Park for a couple days and stayed at Port Townsend and I really enjoyed that area.  Had never been to it.  Then down to Seattle for a night nice dinner and fly home the next morning.

We were really lucky to hit peak fall foliage so that was nice. The weather also cooperated for the most part and never had a day that we couldn't walk around, even though there were small spurts of rain most days.