Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intro and KBTR

Started by guppyman, November 07, 2015, 11:03:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

guppyman

Hey guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I graduated from the UA about 7 years ago and moved to Houston.

A little about myself. I started flying about 5 years ago. I've accumulated about 250 hours or so in those 5 years. I have a Beechcraft Sundower. Most of my hours are in the Sundowner and a C172 sprinkled in with some Piper Warrior and Cherokee 235 time.

I've been working on the IR, but life keeps getting in the way. I hope to finish it someday. I did pass the written about 6 months ago so I guess I'm on the clock.

I like my little plane. It is slow, but it is really comfy.

Anyhow, I have tickets to the LSU game. We plan to fly over there. Any advice flying into KBTR? I'm a little nervous flying into the "Big" airport. I fly out of an uncontrolled field, Pearland (KLVJ). I'm okay with our little controlled airports in Houston. I do plan to go in on Friday so that should make it a little better. I'll be leaving on Sunday.

Any advice would be appreciative.

Thanks!

Bill

theFlyingHog

I flew into BTR for the 08(?) game. Don't remember anything special about it. Got there an hour before kickoff and there wasn't much ramp space wherever it was I parked. Staff was nice enough. Had a cousin going to school there so traded a fifth for a ride to the stadium and back

theFlyingHog

As for going into a "big" airport, I study the heck out of the airport diagram before lighting the fire. It's not so big an airport that they'll have 50 freqs like IAH so I try to to kinda memorize the freqs beforehand so I don't have to rely on hearing it from the controller as much. And don't be afraid to tell tower or ground that you're unfamiliar, I know guys that do that all the time no matter what so they are less likely to screw up