Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nominees for the most hated figure in Arkansas sports ?

Started by Tusks, July 24, 2017, 04:30:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggish1

bosshog84

bosshog84

Curles & Costello are neck and neck but Costello probably gets the nod since his call prevented us from possibly winning a natty

hogcard1964

Everyone is all up on Nutt.

How is he any different than our last 2 coaches?

...not counting JLS.

texas tush hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 25, 2017, 09:18:37 am
Everyone is all up on Nutt.

How is he any different than our last 2 coaches?

...not counting JLS.

If you don't know, you would never understand.

Hogopolis

In defense of Nutt.  I do not understand people's continued hatred for Nutt.  Did Arkansas have some horrible games in his ten years? Yes.  Did they have horrible games under Holtz, Broyles, Hatfield? Yes.  Miami came to the rock under Hatfield and destroyed the Hogs.   You could make an argument that Holtz had talented enough teams to win SWC titles but didn't get it done.  But the Nutt haters act as if Nutt is alone in not winning conference titles.   8 bowl games in 10 years.   3 SEC championship games (only 1 other in the 15 years in the sec not coached by Nutt).  A Reggie Fish fumble for winning the sec championship vs Florida.  Numerous instant classic wins, miracle on markham 1 and 2.  Beating Tennessee 28-24.  His last game is an Arkansas classic victory over #1 LSU.   It's time people stop being butt hurt over the Springdale 5 and Gus.  Was Nutt the best coach? No.  Does he deserve more credit by the Arkansas fan base? Yes.  Perhaps the biggest villain in Arkansas history should be Broyles.  He ran off Holtz.   He ran off Hatfield.   He ran off Eddie Sutton.  He hired Houston Nutt.  The Nolan Scandal and the demise of the basketball team.  It's time to embrace the warm memories of the past and let go of bitterness.   We are to forgive 70x7, I'm pretty sure that includes football  (no I don't think Broyles is a villain, if Arkansas sports had a my Rushmore he would be on it, I was just making a point).

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Hogopolis on July 25, 2017, 09:52:58 am
In defense of Nutt.  I do not understand people's continued hatred for Nutt.  Did Arkansas have some horrible games in his ten years? Yes.  Did they have horrible games under Holtz, Broyles, Hatfield? Yes.  Miami came to the rock under Hatfield and destroyed the Hogs.   You could make an argument that Holtz had talented enough teams to win SWC titles but didn't get it done.  But the Nutt haters act as if Nutt is alone in not winning conference titles.   8 bowl games in 10 years.   3 SEC championship games (only 1 other in the 15 years in the sec not coached by Nutt).  A Reggie Fish fumble for winning the sec championship vs Florida.  Numerous instant classic wins, miracle on markham 1 and 2.  Beating Tennessee 28-24.  His last game is an Arkansas classic victory over #1 LSU.   It's time people stop being butt hurt over the Springdale 5 and Gus.  Was Nutt the best coach? No.  Does he deserve more credit by the Arkansas fan base? Yes.  Perhaps the biggest villain in Arkansas history should be Broyles.  He ran off Holtz.   He ran off Hatfield.   He ran off Eddie Sutton.  He hired Houston Nutt.  The Nolan Scandal and the demise of the basketball team.  It's time to embrace the warm memories of the past and let go of bitterness.   We are to forgive 70x7, I'm pretty sure that includes football  (no I don't think Broyles is a villain, if Arkansas sports had a my Rushmore he would be on it, I was just making a point).

Good post!

I don't think all that many really hate HDN but it's kinda like a comedy that keeps given if you know what I mean.  He's our Dumb and Dumber, seem we can go on and on forever off his antics. 😊

kp72204

Quote from: phadedhawg on July 24, 2017, 05:32:51 pm
Bobby Petrino's motorcycle?
Co-Sign. Nice out the box thinking. He might have paid for something but it wasn't recruits!!! LOL

pigture perfect

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 24, 2017, 11:01:42 pm
I'm usually pretty open to opposing viewpoints but can't figure this one out no matter how hard I try.  How is the 2006 recruiting class and Gus Malzahn an impossible situation?  C'mon, man!  Just get out of the way!
The impossible situation was started by Nutt being forced to hire Gus by the ptb, so that we could make sure the HS POY was firmly committed. Then the MAN who was the true ptb, pulled back on his support of the system Gus ran. When a routine position change occurred, the fans, media and parents became involved. Much of this just happens in coaching. It ain't fun. The Nutt and staff didn't handle it well by becoming his own defender. Simple. He should have never been forced to hire someone who didn't fit his system. That was what was impossible. I was relieved when he resigned, just not Ecstatic like many were. And then he went to a division rival. Not good.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Vantage 8 dude

Personally I'll take a different approach. While I may not have cared for some of the stuff that was done or how things might have ended with coaches like HDN, CBP and "Smiley", I honestly try not to "hate" anyone. There's way too much of that in this world in any event; not trying to be some type of saint or whatnot, however, just letting go of the anger and rage sure makes it easier to deal with the (other) natural challenges of life.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on July 24, 2017, 06:48:26 pm
John White is the root of all evil. He nearly destroyed everything athletics. No one else is even close.

I still remember him saying you keep answering the question you wished they would have asked instead of the question they asked till they go away.  He and Nutt were quite the pair. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hog.goblin

Lets fix a couple of those incorrect statements:

Holtz won a shared SWC title in 1979 that led to a Sugar Bowl, but I believe Houston actually represented the SWC in the Cotton Bowl.

Nutt went to 2 SEC Championship Games, not 3.  The only reason we were in the the 2002 game is that we finished in a 3-way tie for 2nd and replaced the West Champion Alabama who was ineligible.

There were many on-field decisions that Nutt made that had me scratching my head.  You are correct, all coaches have them, but he made his memorable with his behavior.  However, most of my disdain for Nutt was his off-the-field decisions and the way he simply carried himself.  I cringed every time someone put a mic in his face.

HogShat

Quote from: PorkSoda on July 24, 2017, 09:27:01 pm
Jessica Dorrell's boyfriend, (not the one with the motorcycle, the other one).

FIFY

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: JIHawg on July 24, 2017, 08:42:59 pm
This is what I remember about John White-he put up with Hootie much too long and paid him 3 million to leave, got rid of John McDonnell, totally mishandled the Nolan debacle, hired a horrible women's athletic director and women's basketball coach, what else?

Refused to let the AD hire Bill Self as the basketball coach after Nolan was fired when that's who he wanted. He insisted on Stan Heath instead. It goes without saying that we all know why......

ChicoHog

Quote from: CFB_Fanatic on July 25, 2017, 12:39:15 pm
Refused to let the AD hire Bill Self as the basketball coach after Nolan was fired when that's who he wanted. He insisted on Stan Heath instead. It goes without saying that we all know why......
That is by far the number one reason to hate John White.  He is definitely in my top 3 if not numero uno!

hobhog

Quote from: J-Five on July 25, 2017, 07:21:36 am
Frank Broyles is my pick...

So you hate people responsible for National Championships?

I'll go with.....BP. He's just a jerk.

Letsroll1200

Houston Nutt was a solid coach. He did a lot of good and his record is better than the current coach on the Hill.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on July 25, 2017, 07:59:11 am
Tom Penders. He's still lurking around Barnhill and I think it's time to send him back to Texas.
I still think he was one of the worst coaches of all time as far as using the talent he had.  He just rolled out the ball and didn't ever make adjustments it seemed.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on July 25, 2017, 03:32:43 pm
Houston Nutt was a solid coach. He did a lot of good and his record is better than the current coach on the Hill.
You need a reality check.  Watch the Mitch Mustain documentary on Amazon and do some research on his shenanigans and you may change your mind.  Good motivator and salesman but not a good coach or developer of men.  Did he ever have an assistant coach in all his years become a college head coach anywhere?  Maybe he did but I can't think of any. 

Hawgboy64

1 Huston Nutt
2 Jimmy Sexton for getting Nutt the buyout
3 The ref that called the pass interference vs, SMU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pL2iwLfybw

"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

JIHawg

Nutt's greatest sin was being a hypocrite.  He used the religion schtick, but his phone records showed on Christmas Eve night, he texted a buxom TV host 24 times.  As the team was getting ready to take the field at the Capital Bowl, he texted said host.  You get the pattern and idea.

He thought of himself as an offensive genius, when he really wasn't very good at offensive play calling, and played scared.

He had an opportunity to fix everything if he would have just sacrificed his ego and let the Gus thing work.  Mitch was 7-0 when he benched him in favor of a very mediocre qb.  That season was then down the tubes, losing to Bielema in the Capital bowl with McFadden, Jones and Hillis.

There's a lot more, such as his horrible treatment of Mitch, almost ruining his life, but you get the idea.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on July 25, 2017, 08:59:29 pm
1 Huston Nutt

#3 is Horton Nsersta. 

WizardofhOgZ

. . . and while we're at it, let's not forget Preston Watts, the Tennessee grad who made two controversial calls late in the Liberty Bowl game vs. the Vols that cost us that game.

First, on a McClard FG that would have taken us to a 16-7 lead with about 5 minutes to go, he called holding on one of our linemen when - in fact - the Vol defender had grabbed our OL and pulled him down. 

Then, after we punted and held Tennessee to punt back to us, we fumbled near the Vol sideline and even though our lineman stood up and handed the ball to the official, Watts rules it was Tennessee's ball.  They went on and scored the winning TD from there.

Even Tennessee players involved in the game admit we were screwed.  Read this:

http://knoxblogs.com/volhistorian/2014/12/20/loads-controversy/

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hawgboy64 on July 25, 2017, 08:59:29 pm
1 Huston Nutt

I was at that game.  Horrible, horrible call.  Then we completely tanked our last game vs Texas.  At least we beat UF in the Bluebonnet bowl!

Hogwild

In defense of Nutt.  I do not understand people's continued hatred for Nutt.  Did Arkansas have some horrible games in his ten years? Yes.  Did they have horrible games under Holtz, Broyles, Hatfield? Yes.  Miami came to the rock under Hatfield and destroyed the Hogs.   You could make an argument that Holtz had talented enough teams to win SWC titles but didn't get it done.  But the Nutt haters act as if Nutt is alone in not winning conference titles.   8 bowl games in 10 years.   3 SEC championship games (only 1 other in the 15 years in the sec not coached by Nutt).  A Reggie Fish fumble for winning the sec championship vs Florida.  Numerous instant classic wins, miracle on markham 1 and 2.  Beating Tennessee 28-24.  His last game is an Arkansas classic victory over #1 LSU.   It's time people stop being butt hurt over the Springdale 5 and Gus.  Was Nutt the best coach? No.  Does he deserve more credit by the Arkansas fan base? Yes. 

One thing that I noticed that when it comes to Houston Nutt, Arkansas fans are very passionate about their feelings toward him.  It also seems to me that the opinions regarding Nutt, seem to vary dramatically between in state and out of state fans.  I've read things on here from informed posters, that as an out of state fan I wasn't aware of concerning Nutt. 

Record wise he has been the best coach we have had since joining the SEC.  Nutt went 42-38 against SEC opponents, our other 5 coaches have combined to go 48-71-2.

Hugo Bezdek

Houston Dale Nutt for being a slimey POS snake oil salesman. Never should have been hired. Never should have kept his job after 2004 or 2005. He's petty and vindictive. I've always suspected he had dirt on UA and extorted his buyout from us. This whole situation with Ole Miss makes me believe it more. And to top it off he's got the arrogance of Steve Spurrier and not a tenth the talent.

Sed76

John L. Smith. Just the thought of that guy turns my stomach. Pitched himself to Jeff Long as the perfect candidate to fill in for the year then proceeds to take a top 25 team and lose game after game. If the losing wasn't bad enough we had to listen to garbage like "smile" every week. We weren't going to win a championship that year like some in the media was predicting but to not even make a bowl was just mind blowing. Of course after the fact it came out that he was letting the inmates run the asylum and didn't give a rat's behind. He should have been shown the door after that ULM disaster. Could have had the same results letting someone from the stands fill in as coach. Just sickening.

HardingHog

Quote from: tusked on July 24, 2017, 10:52:41 pm
I still don't see the relevance of Monk.  Sure he's relevant because it was a UK poll, but other
than Monk bringing up the hate, no one on the boards talks about him, same with Calipari.

The fact that Judd got into the deal tells you all you need to know that this was just a UK ego massage.

A true wild card would be White or some of the refs that have screwed the Hogs. 

Similar with the coaches, Saban, Gus, Hootie, Patrino make the list before Calipari.

Again I call a UK mental masterbation.

The polls were done by John Nabors. He's an Arkansas guy. He took suggestions on twitter and made a 16 person bracket from the most popular suggestions. This is where it started:

https://twitter.com/YourNaborJohn/status/887408597927419904
https://twitter.com/YourNaborJohn/status/887408767054295040
https://twitter.com/YourNaborJohn/status/887409005018189825
https://twitter.com/YourNaborJohn/status/887409402654986243

Dr. Starcs

Glad he included Tyus Edney. That little midget cost us back to back. Screw Mizzery for letting him go coast to coast to beat them earlier in the tourney.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 26, 2017, 06:32:12 pm
Glad he included Tyus Edney. That little midget cost us back to back. Screw Mizzery for letting him go coast to coast to beat them earlier in the tourney.
Good point but we also had a 10 point lead in that game and choked it away. 

Medic821

Torqued pork

July 27, 2017, 03:34:51 am #83 Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 03:55:18 am by Torqued pork
Quote from: hobhog on July 25, 2017, 02:33:26 pm
So you hate people responsible for National Championships?

I'll go with.....BP. He's just a jerk.
Sadly, there are plenty of simpletons who truly believe Broyles fired coaches because they were TOO successful while here. Yes, they really are that stupid.

harrisburghog

Quote from: hawganatic on July 25, 2017, 07:30:23 am
^^THIS^^

Without John White Nutt doesn't happen at Arkansas.  We probably hire Tubberville and our program (for better, possibly worse) takes a different trajectory.  And then the smugness of the way he chastised the fanbase when Nutt was fired. 

He just had a horribly bad affect on the program.

He is the root  cause of issues that plague the program to this day.

Bacons Rebellion

I don't hate Nutt.  I disliked him greatly when he was in high school, and thought he was a coward slinking away to Oklahoma State in the night and I'm glad he's not our coach, but I don't really hate him.

I hated Preston Watts. He purposely threw what was admittedly a fairly meaningless bowl game to his team. But with that act, Preston Watts showed the worst qualities of a human being and what abuse of power can do.

Preston Watts is dead. I like that. I hope his grandchildren read this.

rupert

Although I hate to hear fans blame the officials for losses,  Preston Watts deserves to be very high on this list....

Video of that game showed no evidence on any holding  that took away the game clinching field goal and the television broadcast showed our player handing the ball to the official (Mr. Watts) who then turned and signaled Tennessee ball

hogbud

vandybuff

Quote from: ChicoHog on July 24, 2017, 10:40:52 pm
John Nabors did this on his SEC Country podcast last week.  He had 16 entries and he did it bracket style.  The Final four were Petrino (from the Ex-coaches bracket-yes he got more votes than Nutt amazingly), Calipari (from the opposing coaches bracket), Ashley Judd ( from the wild card bracket which included Costello and Curles) and Malik Monk (from the opposing players bracket).  Monk barely beat Calipari in the final vote.

Nabors thought, and I agree with him, because the vote is on twitter it skus very young and most of these are more recent and UK basketball is very hated among Arkansas fans so they got 3 of the final four entrants.  He was shocked and so was I that Nutt lost to Petrino but it may be because that was almost 10 year ago. 

Nabors is really good.   The guy has a great voice and would be an outstanding baseball play by play guy if he has those skills.  His tone, phrasing, enunciation is fantastic.  I hope he gets more opportunities than this podcast deal. 

why is ashley judd hated?
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

vandybuff

What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

JIHawg

Quote from: hogbud on July 29, 2017, 04:11:23 pm
Lady bball players who kneel during anthem

Take a look at the third verse.  It advocates for slavery.  Frances Scott Keys owned lots of slaves, and he didn't like it when they fought for the other side in exchange for their freedom.  That's what the third verse is about.  I'm not sure that excuses sitting down during the Anthem, but I can see where they have an objection to that third verse.

popcornhog

Quote from: tusked on July 24, 2017, 04:30:00 pm
Its summer, and balls hot so why not.

Some radio station in kentucky says its Monk.  I wouldn't even put him on the list.

My nominee is Nick MF Saben.

I'd think Nutt #1 by far. Or whoever made the Pepsi decision.

What does Nick Saban even have to do with Arkansas?
WPS

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: JIHawg on July 29, 2017, 09:14:24 pm
Take a look at the third verse.  It advocates for slavery.  Frances Scott Keys owned lots of slaves, and he didn't like it when they fought for the other side in exchange for their freedom.  That's what the third verse is about.  I'm not sure that excuses sitting down during the Anthem, but I can see where they have an objection to that third verse.

When did they start singing 3 verses at the games? Lol

JIHawg

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 29, 2017, 09:55:19 pm
When did they start singing 3 verses at the games? Lol

Then there's this:

There's a reason that The Star Spangled Banner wasn't made our official National Anthem until 1931. That's because to the people of his time, Key's poem (and later anthem, when it was set to the tune of a British drinking and womanizing song) was largely a subject of ridicule.
The man who wrote "home of the free" five times in the Anthem was from a family who grew rich from human bondage. The abolitionists then, whom Key fought in court and beyond, did not forgive him for it.

Medic821

kp72204

I don't recall seeing Paul Bear Bryant on this list, or the guy who didn't hire Jimmy Jones!!!!

porkurina

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 25, 2017, 10:08:02 am
Good post!

I don't think all that many really hate HDN but it's kinda like a comedy that keeps given if you know what I mean.  He's our Dumb and Dumber, seem we can go on and on forever off his antics. 😊
nope, I hate Nutt

DeltaBoy

JAPAN! cause they cost us getting Bear Bryant!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

If I hate anything, I believe its our system.  Arkansas seems to have a knack for having upper management capable of wrecking everything below them in the system.  The personnel many wish to list was hired by big egos and personal axes to grind individuals who way too often have the authority but not the ability to find and hire the correct fits. 

That said, Hootie is my leadoff hitter for most disrespected but does play on a quality team of idiots and near idiots who should never have been hired in the first place.

We are a middle of the pack program in many sports because of who we bring in to coach the sport.  When Broyles was young and middle age, he was able to attract quality people, but he got old and his wings got clipped (WHITE) and you can see the results daily.  I know many on here do not agreed with me but attitude is far greater than weight, speed, talent, etc..  DESIRE, and refusing to be denied which creates fire in the belly and is the first and foremost thing the ground troops need.  Throw in talent, speed, correct weight and you done built yourself a star.  Many cannot have raw talent, be super fast and carry the weight but nearly everyone can have or be trained to have fire in the belly.