Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Curtis Dunlap commits to...

Started by Wildhog, July 18, 2017, 06:09:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

...Florida.  He was pretty much the only OL with a big time offer sheet that we had a chance with.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on July 18, 2017, 06:13:36 pm
Not surprised at all.

Well I'm not surprised, either.  If they aren't from Arkansas, or we're not FAR AND AWAY their best offer, Kurt Anderson ain't getting them.
1909/1964/1965/1977

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: Wildhog on July 18, 2017, 06:15:49 pm
Well I'm not surprised, either.  If they aren't from Arkansas, or we're not FAR AND AWAY their best offer, Kurt Anderson ain't getting them.

Yup yup
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

tophawg19

of course your not, you wouldn't have posted if he committed to the hogs . there wouldn't be anything negative in that
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 18, 2017, 06:37:21 pm
of course your not, you wouldn't have posted if he committed to the hogs . there wouldn't be anything negative in that

Huh?  I posted in the Ty Evans thread that I was thrilled to get him.  Literally a few hours ago.
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

Why not give Kurt time to establish himself before bashing him. he has already done well in keeping the Arkansas line guys home and in a limited class numbers it's an uphill battle . why not stay positive till we see the class play out .

Wildhog

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 18, 2017, 06:48:29 pm
Why not give Kurt time to establish himself before bashing him. he has already done well in keeping the Arkansas line guys home and in a limited class numbers it's an uphill battle . why not stay positive till we see the class play out .

Not bashing him.  This isn't personal.  He had very little experience when we hired him and that inexperience is evident.  I hope he gets better but I'll believe it when I see it.
1909/1964/1965/1977

tophawg19

my point exactly . from what recruits are reporting , they are impressed with him when meeting and discussing the game and position with him. he is a guy who is developing relationships with coaches and players . I think if the other Arkansas O-linemen commits we may be through with that spot .

Großer Kriegschwein

WH is fairly even keeled when it comes to his opinions.

He is absolutely right in that CKA had very little substantive recruiting experience in college. We knew that when we hired him. He may very well turn into an Ed Orgeron that speaks English, but right now he is building experience recruiting in a place that isn't that easy to recruit to.

Productive offensive linemen is not an area we can't afford to whiff too much on. That happened too much in the first couple years BB was here.
This is my non-signature signature.

HogFoo

Quote from: Wildhog on July 18, 2017, 06:55:21 pm
Not bashing him.  This isn't personal.  He had very little experience when we hired him and that inexperience is evident.  I hope he gets better but I'll believe it when I see it.
i have to agree with you.  I said about the same thing on Anderson a while back and lots of people got their panties in a wad.  I just feel that if Pittman was the #1 coach/recruiter, then we should have went to next on the list and went down the list until we found someone.  But instead we went with someone who really had no recruiting experience and other than what, 6or 7 games as an asst. coach for the bills? not much coaching experience either.      I mean, the guy seems nice and ive heard he does know what he doing.  But, being as how OL is probably the most important position in a Bielema coached team.  I dont believe that you take a chance on someone here.  You go get someone who was a known person and who had a history of being a great coach/recruiter.  Then when you find that person, you pay whatever the hell it takes to get them to come to arkansas and then you make them sign a no-compete clause! 

i really truly hope that Anderson proves me wrong.  But, i just dont see it happening.  Everytime i see an out of state top OL guy that we are after now.  I can pretty much mark them off the list as ever coming to arkansas.  it sucks.  but, it is what it is. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

tophawg19

Listen to what the O-line recruits are saying about him. All are coming away impressed with his knowledge and teaching ability.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: tophawg19 on July 18, 2017, 07:31:48 pm
Listen to what the O-line recruits are saying about him. All are coming away impressed with his knowledge and teaching ability.

I don't doubt it. He was an NFL coach. If he was a DA he wouldnt have been there 30 minutes.

On a scale from Nutt to Orgeron........he's sitting at about Klenakis.   

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 18, 2017, 07:27:14 pm

He is absolutely right in that CKA had very little substantive recruiting experience in college. We knew that when we hired him. He may very well turn into an Ed Orgeron that speaks English, but right now he is building experience recruiting in a place that isn't that easy to recruit to.

Productive offensive linemen is not an area we can't afford to whiff too much on. That happened too much in the first couple years BB was here.

Maybe stars don't mean as much as we think?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on July 18, 2017, 07:44:18 pm

Did I mention anything about stars?

I said productive. That's all that matters to me.

I don't know if Austin can survive another season like 2016. He got blown up more last year than I did during OIF 2, lol.

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 18, 2017, 07:46:06 pm
Did I mention anything about stars?

I said productive. That's all that matters to me.

I don't know if Austin can survive another season like 2016. He got blown up more last year than I did during OIF 2, lol.

Most would assume more stars would mean more productive? The first two years we had more stars, that's all. AA is tough, he'll be ok.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on July 18, 2017, 07:54:02 pm
Most would assume more stars would mean more productive? The first two years we had more stars, that's all. AA is tough, he'll be ok.

Maybe stars do matter, just a little then.

Austin shouldn't have to be Chuck Norris-tough for 75% of our passing situations.

factchecker

So which player should we start at right guard next season:

Option A:  No stars, only offers from D2 schools, walk-on

Option B: 4 stars, offers from multiple P5 schools including Bama, Auburn, Florida, Miami, Michigan etc., transfer from Texas
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on July 18, 2017, 08:08:40 pm
So which player should we start at right guard next season:

Option A:  No stars, only offers from D2 schools, walk-on

Option B: 4 stars, offers from multiple P5 schools including Bama, Auburn, Florida, Miami, Michigan etc., transfer from Texas

The one that wins the job......

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on July 18, 2017, 08:12:38 pm
The one that wins the job......

Amen.

I do agree that you fair a better chance with higher quality recruits.  Usually more stars = better quality.  However, there are plenty examples of players getting bumped because of where they call home.  Same goes for certain players being overlooked.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

AirWarren

This.

JIHawg

In general, no one in particular, it might help to not appear to pee in your pants to get some negative information on here, including a teasing subject line only to turn out negative.

Our best shot at having a good offensive line is to develop home grown 4th and 5th year jrs and srs.  They can be as good as first and second year 5 stars. 

MuskogeeHogFan

While I know that we were all disappointed in the performance of the O-Line last year, I'm not sure that any of us are qualified to evaluate Anderson's performance or ability as an O-Line Coach at this point, especially given the fact that he is more of a teacher of detailed skill and technique than Pittman was in his time here.
Go Hogs Go!

greenie

Quote from: JIHawg on July 18, 2017, 09:10:13 pm
In general, no one in particular, it might help to not appear to pee in your pants to get some negative information on here, including a teasing subject line only to turn out negative.

Our best shot at having a good offensive line is to develop home grown 4th and 5th year jrs and srs.  They can be as good as first and second year 5 stars.

Agreed.

When have we ever effectively recruited out-of-state players, at any position, better than we have during Bielema's tenure?  Honest question.  IMHO, in order for us to land a 4* player from out of state, 9 times out of 10, that player has to have some connection to the Hogs (like Bumper Pool) or some other form of situational luck (like when Miami was in such disarray while recruiting Alex Collins and Denver Kirkland).  I'm sure our staff did all they could to convince Dunlap to leave his home state. I'd love to hear what some think they could have done to land him.

Wildhog

Quote from: JIHawg on July 18, 2017, 09:10:13 pm

Totally pissed all over myself.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HogFoo

well, when those guys start signing with arkansas(not just the in state arkansas kids) and when our OL plays like it needs to play for Bielema's offense to work.  Then i'll be satisfied.  Who knows, maybe it'll look 10x better this season.

BUT, If our OLine doesnt look better this season then what will everyones feeling be on anderson? 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Wildhog

Quote from: HogFoo on July 19, 2017, 12:36:38 am
well, when those guys start signing with arkansas(not just the in state arkansas kids) and when our OL plays like it needs to play for Bielema's offense to work.  Then i'll be satisfied.  Who knows, maybe it'll look 10x better this season.

BUT, If our OLine doesnt look better this season then what will everyones feeling be on anderson? 

Concerned about LT, but I think the OL as a whole will be better. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

rhames

To be fair....has a recruit ever been like " that coach has no idea what they are talking about "

" I didn't really get good vibes from coach x from school y"

Not saying Anderson can or can't get it done but I wouldn't give a lot of credence to what a recruit says.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

The_Iceman

Similar to the other Coach Anderson.

rljjr

It's not February. I'll worry about it then.

holeinthewall

Dunlap will have to get his weight in check if he is going to be a big time player. 

prattville pig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 18, 2017, 07:27:14 pm

We had the best o-line recruiter in the nation the first few years CBB was here
Life's too short to last long.

ricepig

Quote from: prattville pig on July 19, 2017, 09:30:36 am

I'd say he was top 5-10 for sure.

Pork Ranger

Pretty sure every single recruit out there says these things about their position coach

3kgthog

Being personable is one thing. Being persuasive is another. Anderson may not be the latter.

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

Hawgndaaz

Let me step in and say this. He needs to get guys drafted. That's your best recruiting tool.

azhog10

But none are so impressed they want to play for him.....

tusksincolorado

Quote from: HogFoo on July 18, 2017, 07:29:26 pm
i have to agree with you.  I said about the same thing on Anderson a while back and lots of people got their panties in a wad.  I just feel that if Pittman was the #1 coach/recruiter, then we should have went to next on the list and went down the list until we found someone.  But instead we went with someone who really had no recruiting experience and other than what, 6or 7 games as an asst. coach for the bills? not much coaching experience either.      I mean, the guy seems nice and ive heard he does know what he doing.  But, being as how OL is probably the most important position in a Bielema coached team.  I dont believe that you take a chance on someone here.  You go get someone who was a known person and who had a history of being a great coach/recruiter.  Then when you find that person, you pay whatever the hell it takes to get them to come to arkansas and then you make them sign a no-compete clause! 

i really truly hope that Anderson proves me wrong.  But, i just dont see it happening.  Everytime i see an out of state top OL guy that we are after now.  I can pretty much mark them off the list as ever coming to arkansas.  it sucks.  but, it is what it is. 

How many OOS linemen did we sign last year and recruit the year before? I thought we got an Iowan, and a guy from South St Louis....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

factchecker

Quote from: tusksincolorado on July 19, 2017, 12:59:44 pm
How many OOS linemen did we sign last year and recruit the year before? I thought we got an Iowan, and a guy from South St Louis....

Anderson got Dalton Wagner (Illinois), Shane Clenin (Missouri), Kirby Adcock (Arkansas), and Ty Clary (Arkansas) last class.

Wagner had offers from Vandy, Illinois, Indiana, and Louisville.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on July 19, 2017, 11:58:34 am
Let me step in and say this. He needs to get guys drafted. That's your best recruiting tool.

Definitely plays a huge part.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

But I thought that was the new strategy.  Just get blue collar, lunch-pail type OL who want to get dirty.  Supposedly, those types usually aren't guys with memorable offer sheets.   
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

wildhogman

Quote from: Surfing8 on July 19, 2017, 10:31:16 am
So -
You're implying none of the posters here are qualified to evaluate Anderson's performance or ability as an O-line coach, but then you follow it up by stating he's more of a teacher than Pittman was?
Ironic Freudian Slip Syndrome?
You didn't address this to me, however having a poster with a son on the team has its advantages. Search Fanonthehill's post. He basically has said as much from the first practice Anderson had with his kids. Big on technique more so then Pittman was. 
The jury is still out after only one year. We will see how the O-line performs this year.   

ImHogginIt

and his olines here have been less than impressive

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quick, call Noah Gatlin and let him know that his 2 SEC / 16 FBS offers aren't good enough. While you're at it do the same for Luke Jones (2/12). They obviously don't have multiple "big time" offers because a career internet coward couldn't possibly be wrong, could they?

sowmonella

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on July 20, 2017, 06:48:37 am
Quick, call Noah Gatlin and let him know that his 2 SEC / 16 FBS offers aren't good enough. While you're at it do the same for Luke Jones (2/12). They obviously don't have multiple "big time" offers because a career internet coward couldn't possibly be wrong, could they?
Fantastic post. Could not be any more correct.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

razorbacker3

Well, Pittman didn't get him either.

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on July 18, 2017, 07:44:18 pm

Johnny Gibson agrees with you.

Piggfoot

Quote from: Wildhog on July 18, 2017, 06:09:14 pm
...Florida.  He was pretty much the only OL with a big time offer sheet that we had a chance with.
Why post this? I thought this forum was about Razorback recruiting and Commits?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Piggfoot on July 20, 2017, 10:16:07 am
Why post this? I thought this forum was about Razorback recruiting and Commits?

Um...because he was an Arkansas recruit.