Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Archie Goodwin

Started by crabeyes, October 25, 2012, 01:02:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 13, 2012, 11:26:08 pm
LOL, surely you are being sarcastic.  In a pinch, I could buy a homer's convoluted view that BJ is better ...

...but "wouldn't fit MA's system" ... that's gold.
Well....he would certainly fit Mike's system without question. Long arms and likes to run. I do agree that right now BJ is a better player. Archie has the potential to be a first round pick but not right now he doesn't. I think he also made a mistake choosing UK since he is being forced to play the point. He looks out of position and confused at times.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on November 13, 2012, 11:43:33 pm
Well....he would certainly fit Mike's system without question. Long arms and likes to run. I do agree that right now BJ is a better player. Archie has the potential to be a first round pick but not right now he doesn't. I think he also made a mistake choosing UK since he is being forced to play the point. He looks out of position and confused at times.

I'll put it this way:  Right now, BJ is a better player (when playing), but Archie is a better prospect.

It's hard to argue that Archie made a mistake choosing UK, especially after a couple games, and especially given that his teammates are new as well.  I think both of these kids will have outstanding years and will be fun to watch.

Danny J

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on November 13, 2012, 11:51:48 pm
I'll put it this way:  Right now, BJ is a better player (when playing), but Archie is a better prospect.

It's hard to argue that Archie made a mistake choosing UK, especially after a couple games, and especially given that his teammates are new as well.  I think both of these kids will have outstanding years and will be fun to watch.
I think BJ has the same upside as Archie. Just because Archie is at UK doesn't mean he has better upside. BJ in his first few games already looked like a better player than Archie. He is a better gall handler and shooter. They are the same height but Archie is maybe a bit heavier. BJ is a lot more explosive off the dribble and more smooth getting to the rim. I would take BJ all day long and not because I am a Razorback fan.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on November 14, 2012, 12:10:25 am
I think BJ has the same upside as Archie. Just because Archie is at UK doesn't mean he has better upside. BJ in his first few games already looked like a better player than Archie. He is a better gall handler and shooter. They are the same height but Archie is maybe a bit heavier. BJ is a lot more explosive off the dribble and more smooth getting to the rim. I would take BJ all day long and not because I am a Razorback fan.
Archie is a little taller, about an inch. Though BJ makes up for being 6'3 by having his 6'8 wingspan.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on November 14, 2012, 12:10:25 am

Your views are well-stated and I respect your opinion.  I just disagree entirely. 

kingofdequeen

Lulz.

dude, BJ's good.  But Goodwin is next level.  That dude is unstoppable going to the rack.  too physical.

who else runs oop plays for their PG? 

Cure

Right now UK has no offense, a big group of talent, running a pickup offense without any rhythm. When they do, it will get real ugly. Archie attempted to posterize Mason twice, very aggressive going to the rim. His ball handling skills were sufficient and he got a chance to score a bit, even not being able to play off the ball.

BJ is the truth, but him and Archie are two different type of scorers. I can't wait to see both of them flourish this season.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

ballinhog

Would of loved to have seen this years hog team with Harris and Goodwin.

The_Iceman

Quote from: ballinhog on November 14, 2012, 03:45:54 am
Would of loved to have seen this years hog team with Harris and Goodwin.

First Team: Young, Wade, Goodwin, Powell, Mickelson

Second Team: Madden, Scott, Harris, Qualls, Clarke

....NASTY!!! Didn't happen though....

Dogtown Donkey

Even I won't pretend that not snagging Archie was a big deal for the Hogs. I also won't pretend B.J. Young has a brighter future. B.J. compares favorably to players like Jason Terry and Monta Ellis.....Archie Goodwin compares favorably to players like Dwyane Wade. Archie just has more potential than B.J. There's no way around it.

I thought he looked okay play the point last night. Made some mistakes but that's understandable. Took several bad shots but you're going to get that from players like him. He seems to be getting the most scrutiny/criticism from Calipari (from what I've seen), but that usually a good thing.

Still don't see Kentucky being a title contender this year. I think the Elite 8 is their absolute ceiling, but you really can't complain if you're a Kentucky fan and that's a down year.

catfanNar

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 14, 2012, 09:27:20 am
Even I won't pretend that not snagging Archie was a big deal for the Hogs. I also won't pretend B.J. Young has a brighter future. B.J. compares favorably to players like Jason Terry and Monta Ellis.....Archie Goodwin compares favorably to players like Dwyane Wade. Archie just has more potential than B.J. There's no way around it.

I thought he looked okay play the point last night. Made some mistakes but that's understandable. Took several bad shots but you're going to get that from players like him. He seems to be getting the most scrutiny/criticism from Calipari (from what I've seen), but that usually a good thing.

Still don't see Kentucky being a title contender this year. I think the Elite 8 is their absolute ceiling, but you really can't complain if you're a Kentucky fan and that's a down year.
I think you are right about the elite 8 but that really would be ok. Can't go to the final four every year lol. I was not unhappy about the loss lastnight.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: catfanNar on November 14, 2012, 09:56:16 am
I think you are right about the elite 8 but that really would be ok. Can't go to the final four every year lol. I was not unhappy about the loss lastnight.

We'd all kill for Elite 8 or Sweet 16 to be a down year.

catfanNar

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 14, 2012, 10:42:57 am
We'd all kill for Elite 8 or Sweet 16 to be a down year.
CMA is gonna get you there

MountieDawg

Quote from: Niels Boar on November 14, 2012, 04:16:06 pm
UK's guards, including Goodwin, got outplayed badly by Duke.  Duke beat them with a couple of 6' 10' forwards and a bunch of guards.  UK pretty much got torched on D.  Duke scored nearly 1.2 points per possession.  UK was mediocre to bad in all defensive categories.  In particular, Curry had a huge 160 offensive rating as compared to Goodwin's 97.  UK's frontline lit up Duke, but Duke's forwards played just well enough for their guard dominance to be decisive.

Maryland also scored over 1 ppp against UK.  The Terps' scoring efficiency was actually less against Morehead St. Last year's UK squad came out of the gate smothering teams on D.  Kansas scored only 0.89 ppp against UK in their second game.  It's early, but this team has a much further way to go to become an outstanding defensive team than last year's bunch.

Did they change the scoreboard and find a new way to calculate who wins and loses? There isn't a team in college right now that could compare to Kentucky's NC team last year, nor could Kentucky's team the 1st week of the season last year! As the season goes on,Noel should know he is tall enough that he doesn't have to leave the ground to block a shot until it leaves the shooters hand and Cal should stop 4 players at a time trying to block one shooters shot! The biggest thing I think Kentucky will struggle with is 3 point FG percentage. Wiltjer and Mays are the only consistent outside shooters right now!
SEC!

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: MountieDawg on November 14, 2012, 04:46:58 pm
The biggest thing I think Kentucky will struggle with is 3 point FG percentage. Wiltjer and Mays are the only consistent outside shooters right now!

And they, for some reason, won't pass Wiltjer the ball. Maybe it was just Archie's lack of comfortability at the point. It seemed like he either ended up taking to the hole himself or driving in and looking for Noel in the paint. Wiltjer is probably their best player right now so they have to get him involved.

Cure

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 14, 2012, 05:36:47 pm
And they, for some reason, won't pass Wiltjer the ball. Maybe it was just Archie's lack of comfortability at the point. It seemed like he either ended up taking to the hole himself or driving in and looking for Noel in the paint. Wiltjer is probably their best player right now so they have to get him involved.
I'd take Poythress over any of them at this point. Plays like an absolute man out there, just wish he'd kick his motor into gear for the entire game, along with his defensive intensity.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

BleedsBlue

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 14, 2012, 05:36:47 pm
Quote from: MountieDawg on November 14, 2012, 04:46:58 pm
Did they change the scoreboard and find a new way to calculate who wins and loses? There isn't a team in college right now that could compare to Kentucky's NC team last year, nor could Kentucky's team the 1st week of the season last year! As the season goes on,Noel should know he is tall enough that he doesn't have to leave the ground to block a shot until it leaves the shooters hand and Cal should stop 4 players at a time trying to block one shooters shot! The biggest thing I think Kentucky will struggle with is 3 point FG percentage. Wiltjer and Mays are the only consistent outside shooters right now!

Great synopsis.  That is what I like about Razorback fans.  They know their sports.  OT, but I hope you can jumpstart your FB program with a home run coaching hire!

MountieDawg

Quote from: BleedsBlue on November 14, 2012, 06:48:50 pm
Great synopsis.  That is what I like about Razorback fans.  They know their sports.  OT, but I hope you can jumpstart your FB program with a home run coaching hire!

Bleed Blue I am a big fan of both, my dad was from Kentucky but I have spent most of my life in Arkansas! I do try to look at both teams realistically... Petrino and Cal made me think they could beat anyone but Petrino had to ruin that for Hog football!
SEC!

Iwastherein1969

November 15, 2012, 04:51:03 am #118 Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:54:09 am by Iwastherein1969
got some sobering news for you people who think Archie Goodwin is a one and done....he may not even be a 3 and done....I'd take BJ Young over Goodwin 6 days a week and twice on Sunday

ad: Bobby Portis will make the NBA before Archie,and if by some chance Bobby doesn't, Portis will, for sure, be a more accomplished pro than Archie
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 15, 2012, 04:51:03 am
got some sobering news for you people who think Archie Goodwin is a one and done....he may not even be a 3 and done....I'd take BJ Young over Goodwin 6 days a week and twice on Sunday

ad: Bobby Portis will make the NBA before Archie,and if by some chance Bobby doesn't, Portis will, for sure, be a more accomplished pro than Archie

Archie is projected top 20 in the 2013 draft.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 15, 2012, 04:51:03 am

2 years tops for Archie.

I would only be slightly surprised if he was one and done. The talent is there. I've been saying for a long time that he's more likely a 2 year player, but if he can develop PG skills, I could easily see him as 1 and done. If he can do that, I'd take him over Austin Rivers. He was a top 10 pick in a (projected) deeper draft.

HOGSWEAT

Archie is always going to get bashed on here... but the talk of him being self-centered is bogus. His decision was family-oriented. He was/is a big Razorback fan.

When was the last time we had a player drafted in the NBA? Sonny Weems? or was it earlier?

Smithian

Quote from: AR Taco04 on November 15, 2012, 09:41:10 am
Archie is always going to get bashed on here... but the talk of him being self-centered is bogus. His decision was family-oriented. He was/is a big Razorback fan.

When was the last time we had a player drafted in the NBA? Sonny Weems? or was it earlier?
Goodwin falls in the Rotnei Clarke category for me.

I understand their decision, but I wish they hadn't made it.

All we can do is focus on accomplishing at a level that makes them wish they had chose differently.

Dogtown Donkey

Big Razorback fans don't go play basketball for Kentucky. Coming to Arkansas wouldn't have kept him out of the NBA. NBA players generally aren't made at the college level. They're usually pretty accurately identified at the HS level (at least when talking about players of Archie's caliber). Arkansas just falls into "other" category of schools who occasionally send players to the NBA because they don't generally get NBA talent. Archie has the talent, so it wouldn't matter where he would have went.

And we're going to have a 1st round pick this year in B.J. Young. Things are changing for the Razorbacks.

The decision was Archie's to make, and he made it. Can't argue with that. Just not going to accept the "he's a big Razorback fan/it was just business" line. A big, life-long Razorback fan would have signed with Arkansas and been part of the re-emergence under Mike Anderson. A casual, "yeah, I like Arkansas because I'm from here" fan goes to Kentucky. That's the only issue I have with the whole thing at this point. People saying he was/is a huge Razorback fan. Not having it.

HOGSWEAT

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 15, 2012, 10:26:22 am
Big Razorback fans don't go play basketball for Kentucky. Coming to Arkansas wouldn't have kept him out of the NBA. NBA players generally aren't made at the college level. They're usually pretty accurately identified at the HS level (at least when talking about players of Archie's caliber). Arkansas just falls into "other" category of schools who occasionally send players to the NBA because they don't generally get NBA talent. Archie has the talent, so it wouldn't matter where he would have went.

And we're going to have a 1st round pick this year in B.J. Young. Things are changing for the Razorbacks.

The decision was Archie's to make, and he made it. Can't argue with that. Just not going to accept the "he's a big Razorback fan/it was just business" line. A big, life-long Razorback fan would have signed with Arkansas and been part of the re-emergence under Mike Anderson. A casual, "yeah, I like Arkansas because I'm from here" fan goes to Kentucky. That's the only issue I have with the whole thing at this point. People saying he was/is a huge Razorback fan. Not having it.

A die hard Razorback fan can put his family before sports, and a good man should. It's not about "getting in" to the NBA. The difference money wise in being undrafted and being a first round pick is HUGE. It's guaranteed money.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: AR Taco04 on November 15, 2012, 10:43:34 am
A die hard Razorback fan can put his family before sports, and a good man should. It's not about "getting in" to the NBA. The difference money wise in being undrafted and being a first round pick is HUGE. It's guaranteed money.

You seriously think Archie Goodwin would go undrafted if he came to Arkansas? I can't believe this is even being brought into the argument.....

nwarazfan

This is a fallacy and families who buy into it are foolish.  Calipari is a great salesman.  But these kids of Goodwin's talent could go almost anywhere including skipping college basketball and playing internationally and it wouldn't affect their NBA future as far as their play if they are as good as has been projected.  Perhaps their maturity would be tested and maybe that is where a coach like Cal helps.  But this idea that they can't go to a program like Arkansas and expect to be a lottery pick is ridiculous.  He could go to a juco and be a lottery pick the way the NBA teams are drafting.  Where he plays while he waits his year is almost irrelevant again if he is truly that good or at least doesn't show he has major flaws unseen before. 

Horsesrus

Another factor to consider regarding Kentucky and the extra exposure is the endorsement deals these guys get so early in their careers.  Those deals can be pretty lucrative and sometimes greater than their salaries for playing.  I agree that the NBA will find the good players no matter where they are playing, but Nike and Adidas tend to look for the glamour kids at schools like Kentucky, Duke, etc. for their big endorsement deals.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Horsesrus on November 15, 2012, 12:22:46 pm
Another factor to consider regarding Kentucky and the extra exposure is the endorsement deals these guys get so early in their careers.  Those deals can be pretty lucrative and sometimes greater than their salaries for playing.  I agree that the NBA will find the good players no matter where they are playing, but Nike and Adidas tend to look for the glamour kids at schools like Kentucky, Duke, etc. for their big endorsement deals.

That is a fair point.

But we're still talking about a likely lottery pick either way.

sunalmighty79

Maybe he felt like that kid Anton Beard, thinking that Cal could use him better in his system. he would have gotten drafted coming out of Arkansas, but Kentucky does have better perks, Cal has better connections and he might just flourish more under Cal. Which is why I made the comment i made, but which coach do you think would better polish his skills?

Iwastherein1969

Calipari is bound and determined to make a 1 out of Archie...he's a two....Calipari is not a teaching coach, never has been and he will keep Archie at UK at least two years if Cal continues this PG experiment with Archie....I don't give a damn about what service has Goodwin picked in the lottery next season....this experiment that Calipari has making Goodwin a PG at the college level will only slow the process down....Cal is great when he recruits, plays the guys at their natural positions and then rolls the balls out for practice....anytime Cal feels the need to teach, that's when problems start

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 15, 2012, 08:49:02 pm
Calipari is bound and determined to make a 1 out of Archie...he's a two....Calipari is not a teaching coach, never has been and he will keep Archie at UK at least two years if Cal continues this PG experiment with Archie....I don't give a damn about what service has Goodwin picked in the lottery next season....this experiment that Calipari has making Goodwin a PG at the college level will only slow the process down....Cal is great when he recruits, plays the guys at their natural positions and then rolls the balls out for practice....anytime Cal feels the need to teach, that's when problems start

He'll move over to the 2 once Harrow comes back from illness. Might still play some point with him in the lineup, but Harrow's a former 5 star PG so he'll be running the point most of the time.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 15, 2012, 09:01:45 pm
He'll move over to the 2 once Harrow comes back from illness. Might still play some point with him in the lineup, but Harrow's a former 5 star PG so he'll be running the point most of the time.
I watched all-access UK the other night and 1/3rd of the program was Calipari all over Archie's ass about the decisions he must learn to play the point....PG's, like QB's are created in the womb somehow, they are a breed apart....and you either got it or you ain't got it...and yes, I worded the prior thought EXACTLY like I wanted

jamie72921

Quote from: Horsesrus on November 15, 2012, 12:22:46 pm

Yep, Blake Griffin went to OU and you never see him endorsing anything but Anthony Davis gets all the gigs.
Bless your heart

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on November 15, 2012, 09:07:36 pm
I watched all-access UK the other night and 1/3rd of the program was Calipari all over Archie's ass about the decisions he must learn to play the point....PG's, like QB's are created in the womb somehow, they are a breed apart....and you either got it or you ain't got it...and yes, I worded the prior thought EXACTLY like I wanted

I don't disagree with what you said, and I saw the All-Access show as well. But Ryan Harrow is going to run the point for UK. It appears Archie wants to be a PG, but they're not going to win with him running the point and that's going to end up being more important to Calipari. Archie will get some plays run for him at the point, but Harrow will be the PG the vast majority of the time once he's healthy.

Horsesrus

Quote from: jamie72921 on November 15, 2012, 09:50:51 pm
Yep, Blake Griffin went to OU and you never see him endorsing anything but Anthony Davis gets all the gigs.

Griffin's initial shoe deal was for $400k per year.  John Wall's was $5 million per year.  I'm guessing Anthony Davis got a deal closer to Wall's than Griffin's.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-wallreebok060910

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: k.c.hawg on November 16, 2012, 09:56:44 am
Wow! Where have you been?

After jumping over the end of a Kia sedan to win the 2011 Sprite Slam Dunk Contest, Griffin signed an endorsement deal with the automaker.

Over the course of his short career, he has already endorsed products for Subway restaurants, AT&T, Panini America and Vizio electronics.

His salary may be low, but Griffin probably has more endorsements than any other second-year player in NBA history.

He was being sarcastic.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on November 16, 2012, 10:00:02 am
He was being sarcastic.

Well I'll have to write this off as me just being stupid. I've been reading the thread over several days and  I misinterpreted his point/post. My apologies to the poster. I find it hard to believe that people in the thread think a lottery talent is going to get missed if he is at Arkansas. Likewise with endorsements. Shrewd business people do not hold a bias against a school. They are paid to go find players and endorsers.....their careers depend on them finding players/endorsers. If you are good, it's coming.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Horsesrus

To clarify my statements in this thread, I am not saying a lottery talent at Arkansas, Oklahoma, Murray State or Central Arkansas won't be found by scouts and the NBA.  I'm saying the exposure a kid gets at those schools pales in comparison to what a kid will get at Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina and schools of their ilk.  I don't believe someone will get drafted out of slot by going to one of the big name schools, but I firmly believe the marketing opportunities and exposure created at the big name schools serve a player well in those early endorsement deals and can have slight benefits in draft position.  How they eventually perform in the NBA will tell the tale going forward of how much money they make in salary and endorsements long term, but if you don't think there's an advantage to the exposure ESPN gives to the kids at big name schools, we'll have to agree to disagree.

jbcarol

Archie Goodwin was carried off the court by Mays after going down with an apparent leg injury inside a minute to go against Morehead State.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

MountieDawg

That kept Arhie Goodwin from become the 2nd player in Kentucky basketball history to record a triple double! He had 22 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists in a 104 to 75 victory over LIU. He could have made a big difference against ASU for the Hogs tonight!
SEC!

BigSexyHog

Big Freakin deal.  I could care less about Archie and how many pts, rebounds, etc
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

MountieDawg

Quote from: BigSexyHog on November 23, 2012, 10:33:19 pm
Big Freakin deal.  I could care less about Archie and how many pts, rebounds, etc

Arkansas basketball and Arkansas football teams have to keep the top players from its own state especially when they are some of the top players in the country if they want to be competiting for championships.
SEC!

jbcarol

Ole Miss' Murphy Holloway and Kentucky's Archie Goodwin are the SEC's men's basketball players of the week.

Holloway, a 6-foot-7 senior forward, averaged 19 points, 8.5 rebounds and 2.5 steals in wins over McNeese State and Lipscomb. He became the 34th player in Ole Miss history to score 1,000 career points with a 15-point night against McNeese State, shooting 7-of-7 from the floor. He scored a season-high 23 points and pulled down eight rebounds in just 24 minutes against Lipscomb. Holloway leads the SEC in field-goal percentage at 71.7 percent.

Goodwin, a 6-4 freshman guard, was named the SEC's freshman of the week after averaging 25 points, 7.5 rebounds and 6.5 assists in wins over Morehead State and LIU Brooklyn. His career-high 28 points against Morehead State marked the seventh-highest total for a freshman in Kentucky history. He nearly had a triple-double in the Brooklyn win, posting 22 points, 9 assists and 9 rebounds.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

In his pre-Notre Dame press conference this afternoon, Coach Cal said Archie Goodwin is Kentucky's point guard.  Cal said Harrow's return to the team gives them two options at the point guard spot.  "My best teams have had two point guards," he said.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com

jbcarol

Goodwin was held to 3 points on 1-7 from the field with 7 rebounds and five assists as UK lost to Notre Dame in the Joyce Center 64-50.

labb

Alabama     59

Kentucky    55

Home cooking

booth1249

UK fans not too happy with Archie right now. 

That's the chance you take with one and dones.

You never know who is going to produce and who is not.

Cats could seriously be an NIT team this year.

jry04

Quote from: booth1249 on January 22, 2013, 10:46:51 pm

Their name keeps them in the discussion, but we have a better resume than they do.

uncle bubs

Quote from: booth1249 on January 22, 2013, 10:46:51 pm

I hope so man, I want the one-and-done system to fail. I'd like for these kids to either go pro right out of high school or have to stay in school for a couple of years. However, I can see pros and cons from both sides.
God bless the Boston Mountains.