Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 04:39:09 am

7-11??

Started by Dillon23, January 17, 2018, 10:43:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillon23

Is that going to be our SEC record?? Just looking at the rest of our SEC schedule and that's what I'm coming up with.  Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

Davidr295

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 17, 2018, 10:43:38 am
Is that going to be our SEC record?? Just looking at the rest of our SEC schedule and that's what I'm coming up with.  Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

I hate to say it but I think you are 100% right.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 17, 2018, 10:47:19 am
I hate to say it but I think you are 100% right.

How can you say that's 100% right? 

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 17, 2018, 11:17:59 am
How can you say that's 100% right?
we would have to go 5-8 the rest of the way and we have 6 more home games and I don't we think we lose another home game because LSU was a fluke and Barford and Beard have learned better from it and you would think we can win at Missouri and at @Ole miss and maybe even @Georgia. So def not 100% correct.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

20gauge

LSU wasn't a fluke. They beat our brains in wasn't any different from Houston. And if it was a fluke we sure tend to have a lot of them.

I'll say this though we shouldn't go 7-11 in Conference play. I consider us lucky to be 2-3 right now. Please don't give me we played good teams, I know this. We are supposed to be a good team as well, haven't played like it lately and we shouldn't have to be sucking out wins at home.

I figure we finish around .500 in league play. Just enough to keep us dancing

LA Football fan

LSU was no fluke and  you had the Missouri game to show you that.  The  hogs were extremely lucky they  pulled that one out after wasting a good start to the  game.   This team MAY win out at home but I would not  count on it until they start playing with more consistency.  SEC coaches have the book on the  hogs and that is playing Barford and Macon tight and limiting their  points and our offense goes in the tank.  When your team lives on 3 point shooting and they refuse to  get the  ball inside to Gafford, it is easy as apple pie to draw up a defense to shut down the Hogs.

hogsanity

Quote from: LA Football fan on January 17, 2018, 11:41:58 am
LSU was no fluke and  you had the Missouri game to show you that.  The  hogs were extremely lucky they  pulled that one out after wasting a good start to the  game.   This team MAY win out at home but I would not  count on it until they start playing with more consistency.  SEC coaches have the book on the  hogs and that is playing Barford and Macon tight and limiting their  points and our offense goes in the tank.  When your team lives on 3 point shooting and they refuse to  get the  ball inside to Gafford, it is easy as apple pie to draw up a defense to shut down the Hogs.

Hogs are only 2 shots away from being 0-5 in the sec.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cardsNhogs

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 17, 2018, 11:22:27 am
we would have to go 5-8 the rest of the way and we have 6 more home games and I don't we think we lose another home game because LSU was a fluke and Barford and Beard have learned better from it and you would think we can win at Missouri and at @Ole miss and maybe even @Georgia. So def not 100% correct.
I was hoping LSU was just a Fluke and then Missouri came in and almost beat us as well. Tenn also looked to have us beat the entire game. We have not looked good at all since the start of SEC play.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dillon23 on January 17, 2018, 10:43:38 am

I think 7-11 is the absolute floor.  Really 8-10.

Ceiling in the 11-12 range still.  The conference does not have any great teams.  All very beatable at this point home or road considering we don't go to Rupp.

With Gak out tonight and Florida short on depth, the Hogs have a chance to make up for one of those losses. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2018, 11:47:18 am

And one shot a way from being 3-2.  Whoaaaaa

DZ

Quote from: hogsanity on January 17, 2018, 11:47:18 am
and 1 shot away from 3-2

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: cardsNhogs on January 17, 2018, 11:50:39 am
I was hoping LSU was just a Fluke and then Missouri came in and almost beat us as well. Tenn also looked to have us beat the entire game. We have not looked good at all since the start of SEC play.

So since Arkansas beat a better team than LSU, you know with certainty that getting blown out by MU wasn't a fluke?

Sorry, I think for LSU not to have been a fluke, the correct logic would require MU beating us by even more than LSU. 

draftkings33

I would take 8-10 right now with a win in the SEC tourney.  I think that would get us in the big dance.

bighog2255

I have us finishing at 9-9 in SEC play. 7-11 would be very disappointing and probably leaves us out of the tournament.

Atlhogfan1

January 17, 2018, 12:54:02 pm #14 Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 01:05:52 pm by Atlhogfan1
How the SEC stacks up vs the other conferences in kenpom's current rankings:

BE

B10

ACC

B12

Amer

P12

SEC
13 Tenn - W - only play once
17 AU - L
28 Florida - only play once
29 UK - only play once
32 A&M
37 Hogs
42 Mizzou - W

51 Bama - only play once

We are 2-1 against the conferences top 7 (other than the Hogs).  Still have home games with AU, UK, A&M.  Road vs Fl, A&M, Mizzou and Bama. 

To this point:

A&M not what we thought they could have been due to injuries and suspenions. 
UK is in a "down" season for them. 
Porter Jr. out, Mizzou isn't what they could have been.
Florida has missed Egbunu.
We've missed Garland.

The last part of the SEC season could be affected by if Porter Jr can make it back, if Egbunu can be effective,if A&M can get it together with everyone returning and UK improves.

OM and USC are more competitive than I thought they might be. 

UGa can be dangerous at home with Maten especially if they can ugly the game with the officials making it a slow physical sloppy game with no flow. 

Trying to predict how this will go is just WAG. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Quote from: bighog2255 on January 17, 2018, 12:36:00 pm
I have us finishing at 9-9 in SEC play. 7-11 would be very disappointing and probably leaves us out of the tournament.

9-9 is disappointing with 6 seniors
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wild Bill Hog

niels_boar

If Arkansas gets the upset tonight, 11 SEC teams will have 2 or 3 losses.  Auburn has a good club, but I doubt that they are going to run away and hide at the top of the standings.  I won't be shocked if 12-6 grabs a share of the regular-season crown.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

hoglady

There's no predicting outcomes in SEC basketball this year.
LSU has dropped their last 2 at home against Alabama and Georgia - I believe that makes 3 straight home losses. Then So. Carolina beats Kentucky last night.

If ya'll can figure out this league this year you should go to Vegas and make a couple of million.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

razorpimp

I'm sick and tired of MA apologists writing about how much we miss Garland, etc...you people are crazy

A 3* freshman guard is going to come in and contribute...the only way he would contribute is with 3-4 fouls a game

But keep spinning away

Plus 9-9 in the SEC with a senior laden team is not good, not good at all

AirWarren

Quote from: DZ on January 17, 2018, 12:04:57 pm
and 1 shot away from 3-2

Hilarious isn't it.

Hogville....home of the original....dramatic male.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: razorpimp on January 17, 2018, 01:55:38 pm
I'm sick and tired of MA apologists writing about how much we miss Garland, etc...you people are crazy

A 3* freshman guard is going to come in and contribute...the only way he would contribute is with 3-4 fouls a game

But keep spinning away

I'm a MA guy and have never said anything about garland but he's a 4 star and better than Hall
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hoglady on January 17, 2018, 01:41:56 pm
There's no predicting outcomes in SEC basketball this year.
LSU has dropped their last 2 at home against Alabama and Georgia - I believe that makes 3 straight home losses. Then So. Carolina beats Kentucky last night.

If ya'll can figure out this league this year you should go to Vegas and make a couple of million.

This

razorpimp

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 17, 2018, 01:58:49 pm
I'm a MA guy and have never said anything about garland but he's a 4 star and better than Hall

Ok 3* 24/7, 4* other sites.....so we can say 3.5* again, 99% chance he doesn't help at all

k.c.hawg

Quote from: razorpimp on January 17, 2018, 02:02:55 pm
Ok 3* 24/7, 4* other sites.....so we can say 3.5* again, 99% chance he doesn't help at all

So the offense should run through Gafford (#47 player) according to all CMA haters but the #58 player Garland would be of no help. F'ng ridiculous statement.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Atlhogfan1

But keep spinning away

Did I get called an MA apologist? :)

Letsroll1200

If Arkansas can win tonight we are right back where we should be.

BallHog1

But keep spinning away

I really hate that you are so sick....and tired...

PonderinHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 17, 2018, 02:09:58 pm
Did I get called an MA apologist? :)
There's a first time for everything!

niels_boar

But keep spinning away

He was rated a 4-star, top-100 by many services.  ESPN had him 58th.  I think all of them had him rated higher higher than Hall, who is now starting.  Hence,  saying that it's crazy that anybody would think that he could contribute is ignoring facts on the ground.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

PonderinHog

Quote from: BallHog1 on January 17, 2018, 02:35:15 pm
I really hate that you are so sick....and tired...
It might be a tumor!

HiggiePiggy

Let's see.  Mike Anderson has only had 1 losing sec conference season.  That was his first year.  I am going to say he finds a way to win at least 10.

Probably 11-7.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

draftkings33

Quote from: razorpimp on January 17, 2018, 02:02:55 pm
Wow have you ever seen Garland play?  He would be getting 22 minutes a night on this team.  Easily.  Get a clue man.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Quote from: Kevin on January 17, 2018, 12:56:27 pm
9-9 is disappointing with 6 seniors

^^^^ THIS.

This was 'supposed' to be the year with Macon & Barford coming back.

Now every time I hear Mike has 'his guys', or any media member saying 'this is going to be a good year', I take it with a grain of salt.  It's like the boy who cries wolf all the time... I don't buy it.

draftkings33

Quote from: gguillo on January 17, 2018, 02:49:34 pm
^^^^ THIS.

This was 'supposed' to be the year with Macon & Barford coming back.

Now every time I hear Mike has 'his guys', or any media member saying 'this is going to be a good year', I take it with a grain of salt.  It's like the boy who cries wolf all the time... I don't buy it.
We lost our top 2 defensive players, 3 starters, 2 of our best scorers.  I'll take 9-9 in a tougher SEC along with our out of conference record.

GuvHog

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 17, 2018, 02:14:44 pm
If Arkansas can win tonight we are right back where we should be.

3-3 is not where the Hogs should be after beating Florida. Sorry, that won't fly. Realistically after beating Florida, they should be no worse than 5-1.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: GuvHog on January 17, 2018, 02:57:50 pm
3-3 is not where the Hogs should be after beating Florida. Sorry, that won't fly. Realistically after beating Florida, they should be no worse than 5-1.
it would be in a lot better place than we are now and we probably move us back to a low 6 high 7 seed

Davidr295

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 17, 2018, 11:22:27 am

Lets win a road game before we start saying they should win several this year....

Davidr295

GuvHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on January 17, 2018, 03:02:27 pm
it would be in a lot better place than we are now and we probably move us back to a low 6 high 7 seed

Agreed, a win over Florida would help but the Hogs still wouldn't be where they should be.

daprospecta

Quote from: GuvHog on January 17, 2018, 02:57:50 pm
And Texas A&M should not be 0-5 in SEC play and Kentucky shouldn't lose to USE-e after all the seniors they lost last year and so on and so on.  We are not where we think we should be but we are still in cruise control for the tourney.  We may have to fight for a 6 or 7 seed but you are going to have to beat a good team to get to the sweet 16, it just is what it is.

Atlhogfan1

But keep spinning away

He would have added depth at guard where we have none.  If he could have contributed just minutes it could have helped.  But granted he is not close to the same level of absence as what A&M, Mizzou or Florida has had. 

GuvHog

Quote from: daprospecta on January 17, 2018, 03:19:30 pm
And Texas A&M should not be 0-5 in SEC play and Kentucky shouldn't lose to USE-e after all the seniors they lost last year and so on and so on.  We are not where we think we should be but we are still in cruise control for the tourney.  We may have to fight for a 6 or 7 seed but you are going to have to beat a good team to get to the sweet 16, it just is what it is.

Say what you want but that 20+ point loss to LSU in BWA is going to hang like a dark cloud over the Hogs heads for quite some time. The fact that LSU has dropped 2 games at home since then makes matters even worse.

daprospecta

Quote from: GuvHog on January 17, 2018, 03:22:47 pm
Say what you want but that 20+ point loss to LSU in BWA is going to hang like a dark cloud over the Hogs heads for quite some time. The fact that LSU has dropped 2 games at home since then makes matters even worse.
It's a bad loss. Every team has them at the end of the year.  Let's look to the future.  We are not playing our way into the tourney at the moment, we are working on seeding. I just get tired of fans moving the target. First it was make the tourney consistently, now it's get past the round of 32.  Why do fans think there is a coach out there itching to come to Arkansas that will consistently make the sweet 16.  I wouldn't come to Arkansas as a coach if I had that kind of clout.  You saw what happened when we fired CBB(which was warranted), we got a coach no one asked for but we are giving him a chance.  We have a good coach.  Unless we know we can get a great coach, be a fan and support our team.

k.c.hawg

Maybe it's just me but I don't see the LSU loss as that big of a disaster. They have beat 4 Top 50 Ken Pom teams and are #58 themselves. Do you want to lose that game.......no!!! But it's not like they are going to be #196 and an awful loss come tournament time. We have to steal a road game against a solid team. Tonight is an opportunity to do that!
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Dillon23

I hope MA does get it figured out and we go on a run.  I just sense that something is not mixing right with this group.  Our offense looks terrible at times and that was one spot I thought we looked good at during the early season.  We have never looked good on D, except for the first 10 minutes of Missouri.  I've been fooled by Mike before, maybe he will fool me again and figure this thing out.

hoglady

The only game we've lost that we really should have won - and the loss still bothers me -  is Ms. St.

(Auburn and LSU played well and certainly were the better team on that given day)
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GuvHog

Quote from: daprospecta on January 17, 2018, 03:33:38 pm
It's a bad loss. Every team has them at the end of the year.  Let's look to the future.  We are not playing our way into the tourney at the moment, we are working on seeding. I just get tired of fans moving the target. First it was make the tourney consistently, now it's get past the round of 32.  Why do fans think there is a coach out there itching to come to Arkansas that will consistently make the sweet 16.  I wouldn't come to Arkansas as a coach if I had that kind of clout.  You saw what happened when we fired CBB(which was warranted), we got a coach no one asked for but we are giving him a chance.  We have a good coach.  Unless we know we can get a great coach, be a fan and support our team.

It's more than a bad loss. Arkansas rarely ever loses by 20+ in BWA to a team like LSU, it just doesn't happen.

As far as consistently making the Big dance is concerned, that hasn't happened under Mike. Making it 2 out of 6 years is not consistently making it.

I'm not calling for Mike's head and won't do so because there are a lot of games left but facts are facts.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 17, 2018, 03:14:57 pm
Logic

Actually the only way to accurately say it would be perfect psychic abilities.