Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So what do we make of U. Meyer cancelling on Damian Williams tonight?

Started by JIHawg, January 22, 2006, 10:57:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

What will be the PR reason given, and what is the real reason?  Supposedly trying to reschedule for next Friday.  Trying to outflank Houston?  Or not waste a trip?

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Thrilbilly

Trey Biddy reported at 10:30 tonight that Meyer was in Williams home as he was speaking!

bigred7987

SAUhogfan

Hogwild07

So what exactly is happening?  Are u saying Meyer is in in DW's house as we speek?  Maybe Damian is offically decommitting.

Kilgor

gatorbait.net says:

Rain "...pushed back the flight and Damian has a student council meeting in the morning. It will occur sometime during the week."

http://florida.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=865&tid=67270200&sid=&style=2

How reliable is that? I don't know.

The Pulse

Yep I watched Trey Biddy also report tonight on KARKs Razorback Nation Pig Trails that coach Meyer was talking with Damian "as we speak" he said.

_Collin1

Quote from: Thrilbilly on January 22, 2006, 11:00:15 pm
Trey Biddy reported at 10:30 tonight that Meyer was in Williams home as he was speaking!

Biddy said they were on the phone....
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

Scott O.

That portion of the show was taped.  The Meyer info didn't come until after the taping.

Thrilbilly

Quote from: Scott O. on January 22, 2006, 11:35:22 pm

That portion of the show was taped. The Meyer info didn't come until after the taping.
IC

FLKeysGuy

Damian quoted about the Meyer visit in a scout.com interview today:

"He was supposed to come Friday but that's not going to work. I have a student council commitment to do. We'll have to reschedule."

dmhog v2.0

Quote from: SAUhogfan on January 22, 2006, 11:04:27 pm
How am I supposed to go to sleep with all of this going on?

Close your eyes, remember that it's just an 17-18 year old kid, pretend that you have a life, and you'll be asleep faster than you think.

Kilgor

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: Kilgor on January 22, 2006, 11:41:20 pm
Ok, so was he there tonight (Sunday)?

The article was posted on Scout.com at 10:07 PM CST tonight.  I doubt Meyer has been in NWA this weekend.

Kilgor

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on January 22, 2006, 11:46:37 pm
Quote from: Kilgor on January 22, 2006, 11:41:20 pm
Ok, so was he there tonight (Sunday)?

The article was posted on Scout.com at 10:07 PM CST tonight. I doubt Meyer has been in NWA this weekend.

Thanks, I thought you might know someone with personal knowledge of the situation... ;D

JIHawg

He cancelled Sunday, for some unknown reason, and suggested Friday, to which Damian said he has a student council committment.  Now that's going to go over big with your possible future head coach  "Coach, I can't meat with you next Friday, I have to go to student council."

This is great.

dmhog v2.0

I woudn't want anyone "meating" with me either. I like the coo, not the dude-piston.

Kilgor

whatsshakinbacon

I'm liking this turn of events....To cancel a date with your future head coach for something like this is unheard of...

;D ;D ;D

Anybody else feeling pretty good right now?

Bacon out...

hogman64

Yes i think it is good for us... I mean at this point if Damien is definitly going to Florida why wouldnt he just say........"Coach dont worry about it.. I am coming........ see you when i get there".. I thikn we have a chance....

Ugly Uncle

Can we schedule another student council meeting for next week?
Retired Radio Host

jrw11475

preunions

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on January 22, 2006, 11:54:48 pm
I'm liking this turn of events....To cancel a date with your future head coach for something like this is unheard of...

;D ;D ;D

Anybody else feeling pretty good right now?

Bacon out...

ya- pretty lame excuse if you ask me... i like our chances!

FLKeysGuy

Not to be a buzz kill, but Damian said he had a 'student council commitment to do.'  Uh, if he's not breaking that commitment, why should we think he'd break the BIG commitment he made?  And how do we know that he hasn't called Meyer and said, "Coach dont worry about it.. I am coming........ see you when i get there"

I haven't talked to anyone involved, so don't get overly depressed.  It's just that I haven't seen anything that really shows me that the scales have tipped in our favor with Damian.  We'll just have to wait and see how this plays out.  In the meantime, I'll have my fingers crossed.

hogman64

we dont know you are right, but the closer we get to signing day ,  and he is still planning to make a visit, or sees the need to make a visit whichever you want to say..........i guess that just gives me hope, i would think his time would get more valuable daily .............

hogfan1

Between the student council and that terrible thunderstorm (more like steady light to medium rain) that kept Meyers plane away, this is starting to look pretty good.  I am trying not to get to excited, but a student council meeting?  How long do those last?  Not long enough that you couldn't fit in a meeting with Meyer.  And yeah, it rained here today, but it wasn't a flight cancelling kind of rain.  Still, just trying not to get to excited.

CiriusPorker

Quote from: hogfan1 on January 23, 2006, 12:22:44 am
Between the student council and that terrible thunderstorm (more like steady light to medium rain) that kept Meyers plane away, this is starting to look pretty good.  I am trying not to get to excited, but a student council meeting?  How long do those last?  Not long enough that you couldn't fit in a meeting with Meyer.  And yeah, it rained here today, but it wasn't a flight cancelling kind of rain.  Still, just trying not to get to excited.

i agree...i've had a lot of experience with these types of "councils"...that is a sad excuse for turning down a visit..that did NOT happen..kids cancel those things all the time to 'study'...or 'celebrate'

let's get real..

hogsno1

I read on another board yesterday that Mack Brown was coming to visit Damian this week. That too was a rumor. If Mack comes to visit, that tells me the Florida committment is shaky, and uncertain.

Calling All Hogs

curioushog42

:o

I hate to sound like a pessimist, but a student council meeting! Come on, i believe it more to it than that. The meeting was schedule for Sunday not Monday. Maybe he cancelled because of rain, but that highly unlikely. I really believe Mustain, Ben, Norman, Coach Gus and the other recruits had an effect on Damian during the schedule visit Friday and Saturday. Another thing to keep in mind is how the commentator was giving Coach Nutt credit for his coaching in the east/west shrine game and how that big reciever almost won the game for the east team with 6 second left. I'm sure DW and the others was watching the game. I could be wrong, but i doubt it. Signing day is next wednesday. The longer Coach Meyer waits, the better the chances for the Hogs.

FLKeysGuy

I guess I just read it differently.  I didn't read "student council meeting".  I read "commitment'.  Who knows what that means.  Maybe it's an out-of-town function.  Again, I try not to read too much into things.  What I find more encouraging than the whole thing about whether or not Meyers comes is that Damian is friends with Ramone Broadway and London Crawford who were on campus this past weekend.  In that same interview he was quoted as saying, "I didn't go on an official visit, I just went to hang out with my friends Ramone Broadway and London Crawford who were on visits to U of A. It really wasn't a visit for me whatsoever."   Perhaps if the Hogs get commitments from those two, Damian might want to "hang out" with his friends for four years.  ;)

SwineOnTheLine

i really think that DW is trying to find a way out of this without upsetting anyone.He probably took the visit for MM sake ,and for Gus.The way i read into the article on Scout,i say he's Florida bound.

The Springdale star answered the burning question that everyone has been asking. Is there any chance that Damian de-commits from Florida and goes to Arkansas?

"I don't know. There's a chance of anything but I'm still committed to Florida."

Williams insisted that he was a Gator and nothing at this point has made him consider not honoring that pledge.

arthurhawgerelli

I'm not sure where they got the "student council committment" thing.  Maybe they meant Beta Club Convention, which is this weekend.  With a 4.0, Williams is more than likely involved with the SHS Beta Club, and you guys can do like me and ask your smart cousin what a Beta Club convention is.

hog caller

good grief. the first article i read said Damians farther called UB and told him the weather on the hill was to bad to fly in to. so they needed to rechedule UB"S visit.

what do you make of that

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

TennesseeRaz

i agree...i've had a lot of experience with these types of "councils"...that is a sad excuse for turning down a visit..that did NOT happen..kids cancel those things all the time to 'study'...or 'celebrate'
let's get real..

I have too.  I used to be SHS student council pres.  We NEVER cancelled to study or celebrate.  Having said that, I have NO idea where Williams is going.

brooks74

I can't wait until next Wednesday when we don't have to freak out about rumors and crap and we will know who all we have and we can talk about facts and not rumors!

The real Hogules

It just makes NO sense to me to invite a couple of your friends to come and check out the home state university that you won't be attending.
I have a feeling that after Crawford and the other kid have made it back home and had time to think about their visit, Damian will call and they will talk and come to some kind of group decision.
I have NO idea what that decision could possibly be, but apparently they came and checked out the UofA because of DW, so I'd hope that they ALL want to sign up!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

FLKeysGuy

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 23, 2006, 10:03:45 am
It just makes NO sense to me to invite a couple of your friends to come and check out the home state university that you won't be attending.
I have a feeling that after Crawford and the other kid have made it back home and had time to think about their visit, Damian will call and they will talk and come to some kind of group decision.
I have NO idea what that decision could possibly be, but apparently they came and checked out the UofA because of DW, so I'd hope that they ALL want to sign up!

Who said Damian invited them?  I understood that they were in Fayetteville on an official visit and Damian went up there to see them while they were in town.

Lanny

Quote from: arthurhawgerelli on January 23, 2006, 08:21:00 am
I'm not sure where they got the "student council committment" thing. Maybe they meant Beta Club Convention, which is this weekend. With a 4.0, Williams is more than likely involved with the SHS Beta Club, and you guys can do like me and ask your smart cousin what a Beta Club convention is.

I don't have a smart cousin
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Tomhog™

Quote from: FLKeysGuy on January 23, 2006, 10:06:16 am
Quote from: The real Hogules on January 23, 2006, 10:03:45 am

Who said Damian invited them? I understood that they were in Fayetteville on an official visit and Damian went up there to see them while they were in town.

Were they 'official'?  I thought they were 'secret'.... ;D

jkcrunch

Urban Meyer cancelled the visit due to weather he will be in Springdale Friday this week. 

Biddy

That segment was pre-recorded...just before we found out weather wouldn't allow Meyer to make the trip.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Biddy on January 23, 2006, 02:47:39 pm

That segment was pre-recorded...just before we found out weather wouldn't allow Meyer to make the trip.

Hey Biddy,

Tell us what you've recorded for tonight's 10:30 news!

;D ;D

Bacon out...

dirthog

was that thunder sunday night or was it HDN with his hammer building that fence we've heard about
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

dirthog

"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

dirthog