Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Haven't watched wrestling since I was in 6th grade...

Started by PorkRinds, April 09, 2015, 10:26:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRinds

but I watched a documentary on the Iron Sheik last night on Netflix, and it was outstanding.  He's had some seriously rocky times recently, but has now achieved someone of a following because of his Twitter account and some good marketing.  You wrestling fans would likely get a real kick out of it if you haven't seen it already.  He also said someone offered him 100k to break Hulk Hogan's leg in the match that sparked Hulk's rise to the top.

Doug

Sheikie Baby has a *very*... uhh.... interesting Twitter presence. I don't follow him, because I don't need to see F bombs slathered on my screen, but I do keep an eye on him. Definitely hilarious at times. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

PorkRinds

Quote from: Doug on April 09, 2015, 11:36:27 am
Sheikie Baby has a *very*... uhh.... interesting Twitter presence. I don't follow him, because I don't need to see F bombs slathered on my screen, but I do keep an eye on him. Definitely hilarious at times. :)

The guy is a character, for sure.  I had no previous info about his back story before I watched the documentary.  He's an interesting guy.  His crack habit made him even more interesting.  Gladly he seems to have cleaned up his life a bit.

zane

RIP LSUfan

PorkRinds

Quote from: zane on April 09, 2015, 02:30:26 pm
The doc is on my to watch list

Do it.  Like I said, I'm not even a wrestling fan and haven't been for 20+ years, but it was pretty great.

TomasPistola

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2015, 10:26:32 am
but I watched a documentary on the Iron Sheik last night on Netflix, and it was outstanding.  He's had some seriously rocky times recently, but has now achieved someone of a following because of his Twitter account and some good marketing.  You wrestling fans would likely get a real kick out of it if you haven't seen it already.  He also said someone offered him 100k to break Hulk Hogan's leg in the match that sparked Hulk's rise to the top.

Verne Gagne is the one that wanted to pay him to break Hogan. It was in payback for Hogan not wanting to stay in AWA and marry Verne's daughter and make a bunch of little wrestling robots.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

PorkRinds

Quote from: TomasPistola on April 09, 2015, 03:05:07 pm
Verne Gagne is the one that wanted to pay him to break Hogan. It was in payback for Hogan not wanting to stay in AWA and marry Verne's daughter and make a bunch of little wrestling robots.

Yep.  That's the one.  Shiek said "Verne tell me go in that ring, break Hogan's funking leg, and bring the belt back to Minnesota." or something to that effect.

Boll Hawg

Just watched the documentary, pretty good stuff.  Sad to see him hobble around.  He's obviously not in very good health, but he's outlasted the vast majority of other wrestlers. 

Father, Husband, Teacher, Veteran

PorkRinds

Quote from: Boll Hawg on April 21, 2015, 01:47:22 pm
Just watched the documentary, pretty good stuff.  Sad to see him hobble around.  He's obviously not in very good health, but he's outlasted the vast majority of other wrestlers.

I honestly can't believe he's alive with all the drugs and alcohol he's done.  But yeah, it was a great doc.

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Jim

DeltaBoy

What these guys and gals go through to entertain us is unbelievable at times I disliked the Iron Shiek so much back in the 1980's that I would have ran him down in a cross walk if given a chance.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 23, 2015, 09:39:24 am
What these guys and gals go through to entertain us is unbelievable at times I disliked the Iron Shiek so much back in the 1980's that I would have ran him down in a cross walk if given a chance.

He played the role quite well, for sure.  But he loves America as much as anyone.  His real life persona was completely different and he was loved by others in the business evidently.