Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weather event in New England cancels RAW; Smackdown at risk as well. (Conflicting info inside)

Started by Doug, January 26, 2015, 12:14:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

With forecasts calling for upwards of two feet of snow and 60-plus mile per hour winds, the governor of Connecticut has declared a travel ban for his state beginning at 9PM this evening.

It was also suggested by Hartford mayor Pedro Segarra on CNN just moments ago that WWE should cancel Raw due to the travel ban.

Sources:
Quote from: CagedSeats.comhttp://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/1/26/7910657/wwe-raw-smackdown-could-be-in-trouble-due-to-winter-storm-connecticut-boston

UPDATE (12:15 PM ET): PWInsider reports that WWE production crews are packing up at the XL Center in Hartford as the show has been cancelled.  WWE official reports that Raw will air in some form tonight, but there are no details on what will be included at this time.

Quote from: WhatCulture.comhttp://whatculture.com/wwe/wwe-raw-cancelled-tonight-because-of-blizzard.php

Update: For what it's worth, the XL Center website has posted on their events page;

Monday Night RAW will take place as scheduled.

Quote from: InsidePulse.comhttp://insidepulse.com/2015/01/26/wwe-monday-night-raw-for-01-26-2015-canceled-due-to-blizzard-in-connecticut/

WWE is facing a travel ban that has canceled the Monday Night Raw event scheduled for tonight, January 26, 2015.

Word from the XL Center in Hartford, is that WWE's crew are currently packing up the production trucks and that the taping is canceled.

The Smackdown tapings for January 27th are in Boston and also are in jeopardy.

WWE is expected to have an official statement soon.

IMHO, WWE seriously lucked out with this weather event and would be DAMN smart to use this time to revisit their cluster from last night.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Dr. Starcs

I'm sure those ppv purchasers are thrilled with tonight's replay of the rumble. Lol

Buff

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

This was a blessing in disguise for the WWE. The RAW their aired last night helped a lot to build the Reigns v. Lesnar match. Without the delusional Daniel Bryan fans to ruin the moment, Reigns was able to put on a couple of good interviews and went face to face with Lesnar. I think this will help the buildup.

hvsupastar

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 27, 2015, 09:05:35 am
This was a blessing in disguise for the WWE. The RAW their aired last night helped a lot to build the Reigns v. Lesnar match. Without the delusional Daniel Bryan fans to ruin the moment, Reigns was able to put on a couple of good interviews and went face to face with Lesnar. I think this will help the buildup.

except you could hear the producers feeding roman reigns the lines plain as day. 
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Dr. Starcs

Doug

Quote from: Dr. StarcsThat interview was hard to watch.

Me......like.......cookies. Fire......bad!
WAY off topic, but your comment just reminded me of this:

--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Richard_white

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 27, 2015, 11:23:25 am
except you could hear the producers feeding roman reigns the lines plain as day. 

It was pretty funny to watch. Reigns has the dumbest look on his face when he has to talk.

hvsupastar

Reigns - Lesnar might be the new Goldberg - Lesnar.... Reigns can't wrestle, Brock is great but he's the type that needs a dance partner
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 27, 2015, 03:59:18 pm
Reigns - Lesnar might be the new Goldberg - Lesnar.... Reigns can't wrestle, Brock is great but he's the type that needs a dance partner

You mean Lesnar shouldn't just belly to back suplex his opponent 53 time and go for the F5?

That's my knock on him. The only reason he looked good in his match vs The Undertaker was The Undertaker. Since then, his best match was lying outside the ring on a stretcher for half the match.

Just my opinion.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

hvsupastar

Quote from: The Chief on January 29, 2015, 06:55:16 am
You mean Lesnar shouldn't just belly to back suplex his opponent 53 time and go for the F5?

That's my knock on him. The only reason he looked good in his match vs The Undertaker was The Undertaker. Since then, his best match was lying outside the ring on a stretcher for half the match.

Just my opinion.

Well it's wrong.  Brock has had really good matches with HHH and CM Punk since his return.  Both were match of the year canidates actually. Not to mention the dozens of good matches he had before he left in the first place.  Remember the mania match vs Kurt Angle? Brock isn't Shawn Michaels but he doesn't have to be.  He is as athletic of a super heavyweight there has ever been and he needs to look as dominant as possible in every match he is in. 

The problem is with Reigns...  People always say John Cena has the five moves of doom, which is quite an exaggeration for Cena, but for Reigns its pretty accurate.  Superman Punch, Spear has been all I've seen from him since his return.  Lesnar and Reigns are going to have to change things up to just be decent.

Eddie Goodson

The greatest wrestler in the history of the sport has a total of two moves that amounted to a boot off the ropes and a flippin' leg drop. People need to get off this moves crap. Reigns is young and still evolving.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

hvsupastar

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on January 29, 2015, 08:58:07 am
The greatest wrestler in the history of the sport has a total of two moves that amounted to a boot off the ropes and a flippin' leg drop. People need to get off this moves crap. Reigns is young and still evolving.

Yeah I'm not knocking Reigns, what I'm saying is two things 1. He's not ready for that spot he's in, nor has he earned it.  2. I expect Reigns and Lesnar to stink up the joint.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on January 29, 2015, 08:58:07 am

But Hogan also possessed the biggest personality the sport has ever seen.

hvsupastar

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 29, 2015, 09:26:56 am

And had a good understanding of ring psychology

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 29, 2015, 09:26:56 am
I am speaking only to this moves argument that keeps being thrown out. It is not valid. We still have not seen the Roman Reigns to come. A good heel run with Paul Heyman as manager could be just the thing he needs. Rock was in the exact same position as Reigns and a heel run allowed him to become the Rock we know. People should sit tight and just enjoy the show. I will not be shocked to see Heyman turn on Lesnar and help Reigns win the title.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hogsanity

Quote from: hvsupastar on January 29, 2015, 09:26:18 am
Yeah I'm not knocking Reigns, what I'm saying is two things 1. He's not ready for that spot he's in, nor has he earned it.  2. I expect Reigns and Lesnar to stink up the joint.

Do you think the push for RR is because of the lack of young big men, and that the big men they do still have are getting old. Show and Kane are not what they were even 5 years ago. Sheamus can't stay healthy, I can't even remember the last time I saw him in a match. Lesnar is not going to stay around. They have to have a big man around so they can have story lines where a smaller guy like DB or Dolph can feud, the proverbial David vs Goliath good/evil thing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Ragnar Hogbrok

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on January 29, 2015, 09:41:15 am
I am speaking only to this moves argument that keeps being thrown out. It is not valid. We still have not seen the Roman Reigns to come. A good heel run with Paul Heyman as manager could be just the thing he needs. Rock was in the exact same position as Reigns and a heel run allowed him to become the Rock we know. People should sit tight and just enjoy the show. I will not be shocked to see Heyman turn on Lesnar and help Reigns win the title.

Although that single post I made above doesn't allude to it, my argument against Lesnar is much more than his simple move repertoire.  He's missing that special something that Hogan, Andre the Giant, et al had.  If he simply added a gimmick something akin to Hogan's "tired of getting hit fired up comeback," it would be a great start.  Or, to build drama, a set-up move prior to the F5.  Or a "it's finished" ritual.  Something.

Lesnar could be a great power wrestler if he just develops a little more in the way of personality.  He doesn't have to have great mic skills, but he needs something more than a half-smirk smile to really come into his own as a character.  I'm not sure he's bought into being a wrestler at the moment.  It's like he's just doing it again since he's not in the UFC anymore.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on January 29, 2015, 09:41:15 am

They were pointing to a Rollins-Heyman team up a while back. That would look a lot like the CM Punk-Heyman combo from a few years back.

I think Heyman and Reigns could benefit each other. Paul could use Reigns the way he did Lesnar, just in the long run. I just wonder if the fans would also turn on that too, saying it looks just like Lesnar.