Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's common knowledge...

Started by Overtheroadtruckdriver, March 21, 2015, 03:25:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Overtheroadtruckdriver

That Dean Smith dabbled in professional wrestling back in his hay day as Mr. Wrestling II. 

One can only wonder how well his teams might have done had he devoted all his time to coaching and didn't goof around with the four corners offense as a tribute/clue to his time in the squared circle.

Other than Chuck barris, game show host/spy, can anyone think of another coach or athlete as accomplished in two professions?

On another note I hope we beat the crap out of Carolina tonight for our sake and for the sake of Buck Robley, whose bitter feud with wrestling II and his lifelong devotion to the state of Arkansas.  (For those that don't know Buck lived in Arkansas until his death.)

It's dues day and I hope our team understands that little nugget of history before taking the floor tonight.  Go hogs!

King

fanofthehog

Wait, are there still people who deny that Dean Smith was Mr. Wrestling II?!?!?!?!?

fanofthehog

By the way, Johnny Walker is a liar.

ronmahony

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

PonderinHog

Didn't one of our former coaches play a little pro football and basketball?

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: PonderinHog on March 21, 2015, 04:18:50 pm
Didn't one of our former coaches play a little pro football and basketball?

And a little stagger lee?

Pulled(PP)pork

this is all I got, and he is now a sportscenter celebrity

PP

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on March 21, 2015, 04:56:47 pm
this is all I got, and he is now a sportscenter celebrity

PP

Dean smith is rolling over in his grave at that comparison, pulled.

Boardon Hamsay

Wear Schoonover lettered in 4 sports and had a role in the movie "Maybe It's Love" while attending the UofA. He was president of his senior class and had the highest GPA that same year. He was then an assistant coach while going to law school at the UofA. Then he spent 3.5 years in the Navy; leaving as a captain. Then he went to work for the government.

I contend that had he not been so busy with other things, Pocahontas' own Wear Schoonover would have been one of the greatest wrestlers to enter the squared circle. Probably would have invented the pile-driver and flying elbow too.  Could have even wrestled under the name, Pocahonkytonk Man.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.