Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Raw lately

Started by Big Papa Satan, October 13, 2014, 09:43:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: spiritof92 on November 20, 2014, 12:42:33 pm
I hate to say it but the biggest problem with the product is a portion of the fanbase that have come along over the last 10-15 years.  Most of them (which I talk with every day on a big wrestling board) look at pro wrestling as a competitive sport.  Their focus is on the ring and think 20-30 minute matches are more important than characters and gimmicks.  If a wrestler can't work a 30 minute match, release them in their opinion.  If a guy is muscular or big they automatically hate them. 

Their perfect idea of a wrestler is plain looking, bad to average on the mic, and runs around the ring at 100 MPH for 30 minutes.  They think mat work is kicking your opponent in the shin 50 times.  That somersaults, moonsaults, and diving out of the ring is technical skill (rather than acrobatic).  They rage at the thought of a headlock, wristlock, bearhug, armbar... as they see it as being lazy.   If you only employ 5 or 6 moves but they are all high spots you are a god to them.  If you only employ 5 or 6 moves and they are power moves they consider you slow and clumsy.

Anyone that has been around long enough knows these long matches absolutely kill ratings.  Need to go back to the 10 minute time limits (sans the main event) and put more focus on promos, backstage, brawls/matches with promo lead-ins, ect...   Pro wrestling when done right is about larger than life characters doing things that the rest of decent society can only dream about doing.  That's how we escape for 2-3 hours.  Not by watching the guy that works at Subway trade kicks and slaps with the guy that works at Radio Shack.
You hit the nail on the head. That's what I loved about wrestling. Now, it's boring and has been for a while.

The_Iceman

They need to develop more factions on Raw. Get more groups of stars to align together so that more neutral feuds emerge. Back in the day, there was the Corporation, Ministry of Darkness, Nation of Domination, and D-X.

jbcarol

Monday Night Raw has seen its share of ups and downs throughout the year of 2014, but I believe that the show ended the year on a high note.

QuoteSeth Rollins forced John Cena's hand and made him give The Authority (Triple H and Stephanie McMahon) back its power...

What's going to change with The Authority around? They're going to start the show every week just like they've done for the past 16 months and talk for 20 to 25 minutes about mostly nothing and they're going to announce a couple of matches that could have been announced in a much more succinct fashion by the announce team.

Daniel Bryan enters the Royal Rumble...

Ryback promo...

We now know what motivates Ryback and what his purpose is. He talked about all of the setbacks he faced in his career and how he persevered to become the star he is today.

I just don't understand why the WWE doesn't do this for more characters. Why don't more people, especially babyfaces, get a chance to tell their real stories? It only adds depth to the characters, which is essential to creating an emotional connection with the fans...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

tahlahog

Worst raw ever! I'm done!

jbell96

That Raw last night was the worst I've seen since the week after Summerslam when they had Cena destroy Bray to make him look strong after Brock decimated him.

The_Iceman

Terrible. I seriously think those writing this show have gone insane. They are ruining the Ascension. Adding Rollins to the match makes no sense. And they brought the Authority back waaay too soon.

Jim

It was absolutely wretched to sit & watch.  I'm beginning to think that as brilliant as TripH is at NXT (allegedly), he's just doing all he can to tank the main roster.  Whoever the main man is in creative, whether its VKM himself or a roster of ego centric buffoons (ala Paul Levesque), they need to be forcibly and rapidly expunged from being anywhere near the TV script again.  The flow of programming is so disjointed and unwatchable, you'd have to imagine this is either going to give Impact an immediate boost in ratings (which then causes WWE to hit the turbo button in the right direction) or large quantities of wrestling fans are going to jump ship, leaving Vince with nothing but an audience of 14 & under.

Speaking of programming...is it just me or does the audio guy in the back need to be fired immediately?  If it's one thing I absolutely hate, it's when someone in the ring is firing off a passionate promo and calls someone out only to have said performer (or the beginning of a clip) be delayed to an uncomfortable level.  Case in point...

Triple H is calling out the guys who supported Cena down to the ring.  First one up...Erick Rowan.  (side note...his entrance music couldn't excite a blue tick hound).  We waited like 5-9 seconds before we even heard his music.  Hello?????  Follow the script, audio guy!  When you know your boss is going to call someone down and you wanna highlight it with his music, BE READY WITH THE MUSIC!!

Just one of a hundred momentum killers going on within the WWE right now.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Jim on January 06, 2015, 02:03:29 pm
It was absolutely wretched to sit & watch.  I'm beginning to think that as brilliant as TripH is at NXT (allegedly), he's just doing all he can to tank the main roster.  Whoever the main man is in creative, whether its VKM himself or a roster of ego centric buffoons (ala Paul Levesque), they need to be forcibly and rapidly expunged from being anywhere near the TV script again.  The flow of programming is so disjointed and unwatchable, you'd have to imagine this is either going to give Impact an immediate boost in ratings (which then causes WWE to hit the turbo button in the right direction) or large quantities of wrestling fans are going to jump ship, leaving Vince with nothing but an audience of 14 & under.

Speaking of programming...is it just me or does the audio guy in the back need to be fired immediately?  If it's one thing I absolutely hate, it's when someone in the ring is firing off a passionate promo and calls someone out only to have said performer (or the beginning of a clip) be delayed to an uncomfortable level.  Case in point...

Triple H is calling out the guys who supported Cena down to the ring.  First one up...Erick Rowan.  (side note...his entrance music couldn't excite a blue tick hound).  We waited like 5-9 seconds before we even heard his music.  Hello?????  Follow the script, audio guy!  When you know your boss is going to call someone down and you wanna highlight it with his music, BE READY WITH THE MUSIC!!

Just one of a hundred momentum killers going on within the WWE right now.

Its frustrating when you see fans write up these beautiful mock scripts and matches up to Wrestlemania, and then see the junk the WWE actually gives us. The only person they are even doing a slightly decent job with is Rusev. His promo with the Rock a few weeks ago was awesome, and makes me wish they would meet at Wrestlemania.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Watched Raw on Hulu last night.  I fell asleep watching it.  Rambling monologues, boring matches, and gaps of time where it looks like no one knows what's going on.

Starting a Sting vs. the Authority is the only way to save WWE, in my opinion.  And they would probably screw up that story line, as well.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

jbell96

Guys, what we see on Raw is Vince's vision, Trips can give as much input as he wants, but at the end of the day Vince makes the final call.

Jim

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 06, 2015, 02:52:42 pm
Its frustrating when you see fans write up these beautiful mock scripts and matches up to Wrestlemania, and then see the junk the WWE actually gives us. The only person they are even doing a slightly decent job with is Rusev. His promo with the Rock a few weeks ago was awesome, and makes me wish they would meet at Wrestlemania.

YES!!  Again...a perfect way they ruined great heat and a cool rub / push the Rock gave Rusev.  This was one of those "moments" of 2014 and now as we start 2015, most of us forgot it ever happened.  Sad.  Another wasted opp.

Richard_white

The good news is that tonight can't get any worse than last week.

jbell96

Aside from Cena vs Rollins to start the show, the Macho Man induction announcement, and Rollins laying out Cena and Lesnar to end the show, last night was also blah.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jbell96 on January 13, 2015, 01:22:52 pm
Aside from Cena vs Rollins to start the show, the Macho Man induction announcement, and Rollins laying out Cena and Lesnar to end the show, last night was also blah.

What the hell is Creative doing with Reigns on the mic? They are about to destroy all the momentum he has built by making him look like an idiot...just like the Ascension.

Richard_white

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2015, 03:47:09 pm
What the hell is Creative doing with Reigns on the mic? They are about to destroy all the momentum he has built by making him look like an idiot...just like the Ascension.

The Ascensions will be jobbers by SS.

My biggest problem is what are they doing to Dean Ambrose?

hvsupastar

These pre written promos are unbelievably bad. I couldn't wait for the Reigns Big Show segment to end. Both guys sounded awful.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

SwinerBock

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2015, 03:47:09 pm

WTH was that last week, when he was standing in the middle of the ring facing (I forget who) and trying to work the mic, then he looks at the camera off to the side and winks?  As if he just delivered the next "pipe bomb" in WWE history.  He says it best when he says nothing at all.  I mean, frick, just turn him heel and let him be a Heyman guy if that's the best he can do on the mic.

toshortrock

the problem i have and tired of it,is triple h comes out every monday and have cena wrestling 2 to 4 people,,well after months of it,,i'm tired of watching the samething,,so i turn the damn thing off
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

vandybuff

What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

BigSexyHog

Doesn't sound like I am missing much.  Kinda sucks cause I used to really enjoy wrestling.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

The_Iceman

Quote from: BigSexyHog on February 08, 2015, 07:15:04 pm
Doesn't sound like I am missing much.  Kinda sucks cause I used to really enjoy wrestling.

If you want to watch good wrestling, tune into NXT. Triple H is running the creative down there, and is embarrassing Vince on how well its going.

Alot of people can't wait for Vince to step down and let HHH run the show. A recent main event match:

jbell96

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 19, 2015, 09:38:49 am
If you want to watch good wrestling, tune into NXT. Triple H is running the creative down there, and is embarrassing Vince on how well its going.

Alot of people can't wait for Vince to step down and let HHH run the show. A recent main event match:

NXT alone makes the 9.99 for the network worth it.

The_Iceman

Adrian Neville: "The Man Who Gravity Forgot"

I think HHH is keeping him away from the main roster so Vince won't ruin him.

Eddie Goodson

Jon Stewart promo tonight was good stuff.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Hogwop

Haven't watched any RAWs since I started my new job, been DVRing them, just haven't had time (or desire) to watch. I will, however, be watching last night's RAW just to see Jonny (stewart) boy out there. Dude is hilarious so I imagine his spot will be entertaining if nothing else. I kinda hope he, I don't know, DDTd someone just because the mental picture I get of tiny little Leibowitz putting anyone on the mat just brings a smile to my face. Talk about a burial tho
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on March 03, 2015, 04:09:06 am
Jon Stewart promo tonight was good stuff.

The fans are ridiculous though. I think the internet is really hurting wrestling. The rapid fans have too much access to backstage knowledge.

If you give someone a babyface, they'll eventually get bored of him and want him heel. And if you give them a heel, they'll get bored and want him as a face.

And then there are the people who will never be happy unless Daniel Bryan is the champion 365 days a year, all the while bashing Cena for being "Superman" and boring.

zane

RIP LSUfan

Eddie Goodson

Exactly Iceman. HHH was dead on in the shot he took at internet fans last night when he was talking to Booker T last night.

Folks better get ready they are going to turn Daniel Bryan heel. I see it sooner rather than later too. This know it all irrational behavior by twenty something male fans is getting old real fast. They've quit being fans and started thinking they are actually driving the ship. The quicker they stop with this CM Punk crap and trying to hijack promos, the better the product will be.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

Doug

Daniel Bryan = heel within a week after Wrestlemania.

Book it.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Jim

Yet again another confusing RAW to me.

You bury your WM main eventer (RR) to the "face" (SR) even though Seth isn't in the main event and RR continues to face a chorus of boos.  Why aren't you protecting your "chosen one" (who cares if he speared Seth off the top turnbuckle and Superman punched Big Show for the 84th time) and having him go over ALL matches from here on out and build up his rep?  If anything, it shows me they're opening another door to make the ME a 3 way dance OR make it quite obvious that Rollins cashes in the briefcase immediately the main event, defeating RR and setting up the obvious Rollins / Orton feud.

Also, the poor IC title looks so dissed right now as it's now looking like a 6 man tourney to win the real belt.  Talk about negating the past history of the Intercontinental strap.

However, if anyone can weave together any sort of coherent story line and gasp across the finish line at WM, it's Vince & his crew.  We'll see if he comes thru again or if the whole thing goes up like the Hindenburg.

Richard_white

Someone I knew was there last night.  He was telling me that pretty much since RR came out the first time, they were chanting you can't wrestle. 

I like RR and with given time he can be the #1 guy.  But not right now IMO. Seth is someone who IMO could be pushed to be the guy and have major fued with Orton/Ziggler/Bryan/Ambrose until next year WM.  And by then hopefully either RR is way more polished on the mic and better in-ring worker.

When he wins at WM I hope their is a turn...maybe Heyman.

RD

Quote from: Doug on March 03, 2015, 02:38:06 pm

Book it.
There is absolutely no way that happens. Douglas that is almost as insane as John Cena turning heel.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: RD on March 03, 2015, 06:58:59 pm
There is absolutely no way that happens. Douglas that is almost as insane as John Cena turning heel.
It is coming.

The_Iceman

Quote from: RD on March 03, 2015, 06:58:59 pm

John Cena as a Heel would be awesome for the WWE. However, it won't happen. He would be amazing on the mic as a Heel. He could help put over many of the young face stars.

jbell96

There is no way on God's green earth Daniel Bryan is turning heel after Wrestlemania. I love heel D-Bry, but no way it is going to happen, Vince doesn't care about him enough to give him something meaningful to do.

hvsupastar

Over the last few years I've certainly grown to appreciate Cena more than I used to.  Heel Cena would be best for business and would actually get him over more than he's been since the first match with Rock. 
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

The_Iceman

Quote from: hvsupastar on March 04, 2015, 08:40:04 am
Over the last few years I've certainly grown to appreciate Cena more than I used to.  Heel Cena would be best for business and would actually get him over more than he's been since the first match with Rock. 

He would be perfect as a Heel, and he has all the motivation to turn on the fans. The fans would probably end up embracing him though, which might be weird.

Cena with a smug, arrogant persona on the mic feuding with Bryan, Reigns, Ambrose, Ziggler, a face Orton, a returned Cody Rhodes, and maybe even some of the young NXT Stars like Neville and Zayn would be great for the company and really utilize Cena at this point in his career.

Jim

Agreed.  The biggest argument I hear as to why they DON'T turn him heel is his outside charity work with the kids.  I'm sorry but I'm not buying this.  HHH is the biggest heel (along with Steph) going and yet he breaks kayfabe all the time to show he's a pretty decent guy.

YouTube the Connor / WWE video before last year's WM.  It will bring a grown man to cry, especially when you see heel & face alike surrounding the ring as Connor punches H in the kisser, to which Trips sells beyond perfection.  Steph even cries at the end of it in a legit, heartfelt moment.

There's also the shot recently where H turned and embraced a young Cena fan who was upset that Cena was being triple-teamed by the Authority.  He doesn't have to do that kind of thing but he does and is still able to spread the WWE brand while bringing good will to the kids.

Cena could also do that even though I get how his "edge" might not be as sharp if he did a FHT (full heel turn).  Still, as Hogan reinvented himself with Hollywood Hogan & the NWO, Cena could easily get another 5-7 years of life into his name / character by adding some kind of unique twist to it.

Jim

Here's that vid on Connor. 

zane

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 04, 2015, 09:04:57 am
He would be perfect as a Heel, and he has all the motivation to turn on the fans. The fans would probably end up embracing him though, which might be weird.

Cena with a smug, arrogant persona on the mic feuding with Bryan, Reigns, Ambrose, Ziggler, a face Orton, a returned Cody Rhodes, and maybe even some of the young NXT Stars like Neville and Zayn would be great for the company and really utilize Cena at this point in his career.

This

RIP LSUfan

who knows

Man that video was beautiful
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

who knows

If you didn't see...they inducted that little kid into the WWE hall of fame. .. pretty awesome
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

hogsanity

Quote from: who knows on March 10, 2015, 03:15:01 am
If you didn't see...they inducted that little kid into the WWE hall of fame. .. pretty awesome

Be advised to have something to wipe the "eye sweat" with when you watch it.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Jim

That video STILL gets to me even after watching it at least 6-7 times.  What a great gesture from the WWE.  I doubt there'll be a dry eye on the stage that night, especially with it being called the "Warrior Award". 

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

RD

Quote from: Doug on March 03, 2015, 02:38:06 pm

Book it.
Sorry Doug, I had to bring this back up :D

Doug

Week's not over... lol.

Now... shut it before I tombstone yer ass! ;)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

RD

Quote from: Doug on April 01, 2015, 12:55:50 pm
Week's not over... lol.

Now... shut it before I tombstone yer ass! ;)
this made Roman look strong bwahaha

Ragnar Hogbrok

I watched the 90 Hulu version of Raw. Was there no mention or photo of Sting at Mania? It's like they didn't address that storyline at all. Is that the plan? Push Sting vs Trips at Mania to maximize revenue and figure something else out from there?
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

The_Iceman

They changed Adrian Neville to just "Neville" and put him in a purple cape.