Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Juco from New Mexico JC is at Arkansas this weekend

Started by nwahogfan1, March 29, 2015, 12:33:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

nwahogfan1

Angelica De Paulo, 6'1 who plays the 4/5 spot.  She averages 16 ppg and 6 rpg. MVP of her JUCO  region.

Any news about her visit?

outlawhogeywells

I know that they are taking her to the catfish hole tonight.  If you want to help support please show up around 5 to 515.  show up and be loud and proud

flippinhogmana

actually a couple scheduled wasnt there?  Depaulo 6-1 wing, and a 6-3 center from Mo?  Was reported by a reliable source over two weeks ago and intel checked out.  So, isnt there two?  More interested in the second.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

flippinhogmana

The other girl averages 17+ ppg, 11+ rpg, and 2+ blks pg
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: flippinhogmana on March 29, 2015, 01:56:48 pm
The other girl averages 17+ ppg, 11+ rpg, and 2+ blks pg
HS or JUCO? 

Lets fill the place up Hog Fans and make some noise. 

MoHog74

Appreciate the info and updates that anyone can provide.   :razorback:

hog63

The other JUCO big will not be in for a visit until April sometime

psycHOGlogist

Thanks for the info. Any scoop on how the visit went?

flippinhogmana

Paulo is the best player on a good team, but she is also 6-1.  So is Wolff, Swenson, Bailey, and Zimmerman.  Even if she were to commit, and Bailey were not to use her last year of eligibility, she would still be one of four at that height.  Unless we can start stacking them and playing two of them as one, we need bigger girls instead, especially if it is true about Powell transferring.

Scott7703

Wolff and Jackson can more than hold there own. I think the added depth at guard is gonna be a problem causer. I look for a lineup of brooks, Danberry, monk, Jackson and Wolff to cause major problems for opposing teams.

Also what about West?

flippinhogmana

April 01, 2015, 03:26:17 pm #10 Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 03:36:21 pm by flippinhogmana
Quote from: Scott7703 on April 01, 2015, 03:07:20 pm
Wolff and Jackson can more than hold there own. I think the added depth at guard is gonna be a problem causer. I look for a lineup of brooks, Danberry, monk, Jackson and Wolff to cause major problems for opposing teams.

Also what about West?

West is 6-2 and I don't really know if she is ever going to be that mobile (I don't think she has or will fully recover from her knee injury).  That being said, we are never going to be an elite team if WE DON'T GET MORE HEIGHT!!!  I don't care how 'active' we are at the guard and forward position.  We wont even finish .500 in our own conference unless we get bigger.

I don't think the lineup you suggest is going to cause many problems for good teams, with all respect, if it were to ever happen.  There is not outside shooting in it, nor enough height, hence also not enough defense against really good teams as well.  They will just outman us and go over us as Baylor, South Carolina, etc., did.

Jd tried that smaller, faster lineup after we beat Missouri for our first win (when they also had their biggest player hurt).  We went three straight games with a guard only lineup start (well with Jhasmin Bowen who was 6-1).  0-3, two of which we could have won, if we had started Jackson (who can hold her own unless she is discouraged) and pursued a different strategy.  I don't think Dykes will fall in love with it again.  Sure we will do match-ups sometimes, but match-ups and quickness doesn't negate height (not if the tall players are also quick and good, like elite players are).

hog63

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 01, 2015, 03:07:20 pm

Also what about West?

You have to get bigger and stronger. Good to great guards grow on trees in the SEC but the great teams have one or two big ones that rule the paint. We played or tails off all year helping down on the other teams bigs with guards off the ball because JB just wasn't big enough. That is not a knock on JB it's just facts, she had to have help.

Unless he doesn't get a big one he will not play the 4 guard lineup regularly. If he has to play that way my expectations of success will be low.

Scott7703

Quote from: hog63 on April 01, 2015, 03:59:55 pm
You have to get bigger and stronger. Good to great guards grow on trees in the SEC but the great teams have one or two big ones that rule the paint. We played or tails off all year helping down on the other teams bigs with guards off the ball because JB just wasn't big enough. That is not a knock on JB it's just facts, she had to have help.

Unless he doesn't get a big one he will not play the 4 guard lineup regularly. If he has to play that way my expectations of success will be low.

We had a really good year by Arkansas women's basketball standards and had no depth. I don't personally think we HAVE to have a 6'4 player to continue to improve and win basketball games. We needed players to take pressure off Jackson and brooks and we added that. A couple "sharp shooters" works be nice and I'm not sure Bostad doesn't end up being an above average outside threat for us.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 01, 2015, 09:04:11 pm
We had a really good year by Arkansas women's basketball standards and had no depth. I don't personally think we HAVE to have a 6'4 player to continue to improve and win basketball games. We needed players to take pressure off Jackson and brooks and we added that. A couple "sharp shooters" works be nice and I'm not sure Bostad doesn't end up being an above average outside threat for us.

The boldened portion of your quote says everything.  Hogs63 and I are talking mars and you are talking venus.  The best year (if you are going to use "Arkansas Women's basketball standards") that I can remember in a while was a couple of years ago when we were 8-8 in conference and went to the second round of the NCAA.  How is this year so much better?

In fact we havent been relevant either in our conference or national since Christy Smith.  Is that the sort of "standard" you want these next few years to compare to?  Your standards are not my standards, nor your ways and what you seem to be willing to accept what I have in mind and hope for.

Scott7703

Quote from: flippinhogmana on April 01, 2015, 09:14:48 pm
The boldened portion of your quote says everything.  Hogs63 and I are talking mars and you are talking venus.  The best year (if you are going to use "Arkansas Women's basketball standards") that I can remember in a while was a couple of years ago when we were 8-8 in conference and went to the second round of the NCAA.  How is this year so much better?

In fact we havent been relevant either in our conference or national since Christy Smith.  Is that the sort of "standard" you want these next few years to compare to?  Your standards are not my standards, nor your ways and what you seem to be willing to accept what I have in mind and hope for.

You aren't being reasonable though. We aren't turning into UCONN or Tennessee overnight. No doubt it would be great to go out and add 2 girls each year that are 6'3+ and game changers but that isn't realistic right now. This will take time to build and my point was we had a great year by the current standards with a fort year coach am under manned team. Adding depth is the first step in my opinion. Next you go out and add height, shooters and someone to replace JJ.

At the end of the day I want to be in the national title picture every year but at this point I have chosen to temper my expectations and be realistic.

psycHOGlogist

No one is saying we need to add 2 6'3" game-changers each year. That's just exaggeration to try to make your point. We absolutely need to get some solid 6'3"-ish players. We have no significant height.

It has to start somewhere, and if a team with no real returning bigs (over 6'2") can't recruit one, then that's a problem.

psycHOGlogist

Here's an article from the New Mexico newspaper about de Paulo. Sounds like our competition is primarily Southern Miss?

http://www.abqjournal.com/563111/sports/de-paulo-is-heavily-recruited.html

(You might have to answer a couple stupid questions before the site allows you to see the article.)

Scott7703

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 01, 2015, 10:22:25 pm
No one is saying we need to add 2 6'3" game-changers each year. That's just exaggeration to try to make your point. We absolutely need to get some solid 6'3"-ish players. We have no significant height.

It has to start somewhere, and if a team with no real returning bigs (over 6'2") can't recruit one, then that's a problem.

Wasn't trying to exaggerate the point at all. I just don't see it being as easy as you do to go out and add quality size.  We aren't going to turn into an elite team/program overnight. Same principle applied to recruiting. I'm sure our coaches have worked there butts off trying to add height/size to the team and may still add a couple late. My question is, do you add a "big body" just because we have the room or do you wait until next season and add player(s) who you know will help out?

Scott7703

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 01, 2015, 10:41:16 pm
Here's an article from the New Mexico newspaper about de Paulo. Sounds like our competition is primarily Southern Miss?

http://www.abqjournal.com/563111/sports/de-paulo-is-heavily-recruited.html

(You might have to answer a couple stupid questions before the site allows you to see the article.)

Appears she is picking up a lot of interest late.

Who is the second player that is supposed to be visiting?

psycHOGlogist

This one - later this month.

http://statefaircc.prestosports.com/sports/wbkb/2014-15/bios/cooley_alecia_uogq

Can't find any articles about her (yet).

Here's a link with more info:
http://statefaircc.prestosports.com/sports/wbkb/2014-15/players/aleciacooley2fwj

And one last news item about her AA Honorable Mention selection:
http://www.sfccmo.edu/pages/1068.asp?Item=3876

And I don't think it's easy to recruit bigs, per se. It just is a necessity to improve the program. I'll take one, for starters.

flippinhogmana

Scott7703

Scott7703

Quote from: psycHOGlogist on April 01, 2015, 10:51:16 pm
This one - later this month.

http://statefaircc.prestosports.com/sports/wbkb/2014-15/bios/cooley_alecia_uogq

Can't find any articles about her (yet).

Here's a link with more info:
http://statefaircc.prestosports.com/sports/wbkb/2014-15/players/aleciacooley2fwj

And one last news item about her AA Honorable Mention selection:
http://www.sfccmo.edu/pages/1068.asp?Item=3876

And I don't think it's easy to recruit bigs, per se. It just is a necessity to improve the program. I'll take one, for starters.

Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on the two above mentioned possibilities?

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 02, 2015, 08:08:50 am
Thanks for the info. What are your thoughts on the two above mentioned possibilities?
When is she coming in and who else has offered?  Great stats. She has only been playing BB since the 9th grade so she is still learning the game but right now with over 17ppg and almost 12 rpg at a JUCO are excellent stats.

nwahogfan1

Any names on those HS girls over 6'1 who can help?

hog63

Quote from: Scott7703 on April 01, 2015, 09:04:11 pm

Right now you have no one on the roster that can play 20 mins a game and be a big body inside. This year you had a 6'1" JB that would bang with anyone. Next year at this point you have DeDe West who can play in a few games like OU this year and give you a few minutes but against teams that really move the ball she just can't help you. No one else on the roster is that type of player. None of the 6'1" players signed in this class is that type. You have to find a kid that is willing to get beat on alot and be willing to dish out a beating. You just don't have that. Plus not having Berna to help down will hurt ALOT more than people realize. She usually defended the other teams weakest offensive play to allow her to help down and get in passing lanes which she was very good at.

The bottomline on this issue is you need at least one "big" signed every year or at least every 2 yrs in this league. They don't grow on trees and we need that first one to help bring success for others to come later. You cannot win in this league without size. Look at SC for example in the SEC tourney. We played our butts off and played them very well on the outside but when we pulled within 7 with about 7 mins to go. What did they do? They set those Big monsters down low with those big paws up in the air and we could not stop it causes we had no one big enough.

The other thing bigs gives you is the ability to extend your defense because you have that shot blocking goalie back there to cover up defensive breakdowns.

MoHog74

Quote from: hog63 on April 02, 2015, 10:07:03 am
The bottomline on this issue is you need at least one "big" signed every year or at least every 2 yrs in this league. They don't grow on trees and we need that first one to help bring success for others to come later.

Excellent analysis of the situation.  Bowen and Berna both made contributions that don't show up in the box score.  :razorback:

jackflash

All the other SEC women teams are recruiting height. If we want to win big and play with South Carolinas of the world. We are going to have to get bigger

hog63

Keep in mind also Mo Wolfe will fight you to the death. She's a beast in there but she is 6 ft and playing against 6'4" kids she's not going to win that battle most time. Plus you need her playing against the other teams 3 or 4 player.

razorjack

It want happen over night but feel Coach JD will get the job done.  It took Dawn Staley 3 years before SC started winning big.  Have been told that there are 4 girls 6'4" in the next signing class that he is recruiting very hard and feels like will get a couple of them. Hope he gets at least 1 or 2 of them.  Since this recent signing has so many guards wish he could get all 4 of them.

hog63

Quote from: razorjack on April 02, 2015, 12:19:15 pm
It want happen over night but feel Coach JD will get the job done.  It took Dawn Staley 3 years before SC started winning big.  Have been told that there are 4 girls 6'4" in the next signing class that he is recruiting very hard and feels like will get a couple of them. Hope he gets at least 1 or 2 of them.  Since this recent signing has so many guards wish he could get all 4 of them.

No question it will take time. We are talking more so short term for next year hoping not to take a backstep.

psycHOGlogist

I don't have any thoughts, really. All I know is what I've read in the links. Would love to get them both, if for no other reason than a) some size on the interior, and b) balancing out the scholarship situation (so everyone coming in isn't a freshman).

jackflash

I am please with the way the program is going. Jimmy has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know. When I post about needing more height its because I think it will make Jimmy job that much easier. I do think Jimmy can gets us to a NC game.

flippinhogmana

There is supposed to be a big on campus this weekend for an official.  Hope she enjoys baseball and gets a lot of love...she is a good one.