Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strategy in the 2nd inning Friday night?

Started by WhenPigsFly, March 28, 2015, 09:17:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WhenPigsFly

Runners on 1b and 2b, none out, one run in but still down 3-1.  McAfee up, who had 3 hits in previous game, sac bunts to bring up Gosser, who's hitting .190.

Why give up an out there to bring up the weakest hitter in your lineup?  All it did was give OM a chance to get out of the inning,  which is exactly what happened.

And do we assume DVH made that call, even tho he had already been tossed at that point?

WilsonHog

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on March 28, 2015, 09:17:20 am
Runners on 1b and 2b, none out, one run in but still down 3-1.  McAfee up, who had 3 hits in previous game, sac bunts to bring up Gosser, who's hitting .190.

Why give up an out there to bring up the weakest hitter in your lineup?  All it did was give OM a chance to get out of the inning,  which is exactly what happened.

And do we assume DVH made that call, even tho he had already been tossed at that point?

I miss James McCann.

hogman64

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on March 28, 2015, 09:17:20 am

I  thought maybe it was the Ole Miss coach who made the call , sure was a good one for them........made no sense whatsoever.   I felt that way BEFORE Gosser had one of the  worst at bats in college baseball history.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogman64 on March 28, 2015, 09:27:50 am
I  thought maybe it was the Ole Miss coach who made the call , sure was a good one for them........made no sense whatsoever.   I felt that way BEFORE Gosser had one of the  worst at bats in college baseball history.

I have no problem with the sac bunt call in that situation, IF the next move is to bring Carson Shaddy to the plate.

PorcineSublime

This has been a point of contention for me for years. That and taking walks with men in scoring position, when hittable pitches are seen during the AB, and the next guy up is batting .190. However, I have had to learn to just let it go because that is the way this team will play whether i like it or not. I agree with the OP though it was  a puzzling approach. 
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hogman64

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 28, 2015, 09:34:03 am
I have no problem with the sac bunt call in that situation, IF the next move is to bring Carson Shaddy to the plate.

That would have made it at least a debatable move but with TK looking shaky I still would have liked to have seen McAfee get an at bat.....Bramlett to me just didn't look all that great last night, if the league figures it out to quit swinging at his high fast ball out of the strike zone he is going to have trouble getting people out IMO....I  honestly think we swung at more balls than strikes last night when he was in the game...

JoeyCapital

I don't know if dvh is into advanced stats and all that goes along with following those, but playing that situation the way he did goes along with following those rules.

With runners on 1st and 2nd with 0 out you have about a 61% chance to score a run. With 2nd and 3rd and 1 out your odds go up to about 67%.

I have no clue if he plays stats like that or goes with his gut, but that move looked to be the former.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

SPAL

It was too early for tiny small ball. You already have a runner in scoring position, so let the guy swing. He could have moved them over in several wat, but he also could have driven a run in.

But remember, DVH wasn't making the call.....Jake Wise did. He was promptly removed the next inning.

BroyledNutts

The guys on the radio last night were talking about those two ABs - what they said, and I realize 1/2 of who's talking is Rick Schaeffer, is that with no out you move the runners over, even if it wastes Mac's AB, because if he flies or grounds out it would still move the guys over - then you have 1 out - but it takes away the double play - Gosser, not being terribly fleet of foot, is then out of danger of hitting into a DP and ending the inning. If Mac was allowed to swing there and strikes out, it puts the pressure on Gosser to produce at the plate, and the theory is you want him to take his weaker AB with guys on 2nd/3rd - hoping he might pop out, driving in the run on 3rd. Their words.

That's a LOT of what ifs at work.

I think that's complete parp - take your chances with Gosser's AB and let Mac swing it - a base hit produces a run there, and an out might still move everybody up. Stay aggressive - passive baseball is for the bigs...and even they wouldn't let a better hitter bunt in that situation.

tennesseehogwild

FWIW....It was one of the few times lately we have executed a sac bunt perfectly ;D

BroyledNutts

Quote from: tennesseehogwild on March 28, 2015, 11:28:47 am
FWIW....It was one of the few times lately we have executed a sac bunt perfectly ;D

There you go pointing out the good things when I'm trying to gripe.....  ;D

WhenPigsFly

Quote from: golf2day on March 28, 2015, 11:12:37 am
I don't know if dvh is into advanced stats and all that goes along with following those, but playing that situation the way he did goes along with following those rules.

With runners on 1st and 2nd with 0 out you have about a 61% chance to score a run. With 2nd and 3rd and 1 out your odds go up to about 67%.

I have no clue if he plays stats like that or goes with his gut, but that move looked to be the former.

Yes, but does it not decrease your chances of scoring more than one run in that inning?  I would hate to think that with two on and no one out that we are only playing for one run.

hogman64

Quote from: golf2day on March 28, 2015, 11:12:37 am

I would sure put more stock in those %'s if they were compiled over 1,000 situations of McAfee being the bunter and Gosser the batter, I feel like the %'s would change under that scenario.........

JoeyCapital

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on March 28, 2015, 11:59:51 am
Yes, but does it not decrease your chances of scoring more than one run in that inning?  I would hate to think that with two on and no one out that we are only playing for one run.
I didn't look those #'s up, but I bet you're right. Your odds of scoring more than one probably do go down playing it that way.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

JoeyCapital

Quote from: hogman64 on March 28, 2015, 12:01:12 pm
I would sure put more stock in those %'s if they were compiled over 1,000 situations of McAfee being the bunter and Gosser the batter, I feel like the %'s would change under that scenario.........
Agreed.

lookawayquick

Not a fan of small ball.  Moneyball says eliminate the bunt, don't take a bat out of a hitter's hands. No way you take the bat out of a hot hitting McAfee's hands to put Gosser in a production situation. Has Gosser's hitting regressed this year?  Looks out of sync. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogman64 on March 28, 2015, 09:27:50 am
I felt that way BEFORE Gosser had one of the  worst at bats in college baseball history.
I have seen several batters swing at a pitch that hit them, but only because the ball moved a whole lot.  That was the first time I can recall a hitter swinging at a pitch with little to no movement that was clearly going to hit him.  Did Gosser not know the scouting report?  Bramlett probably threw 95% fastballs last night and has been at like 85% on the year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: lookawayquick on March 28, 2015, 05:27:38 pm
Has Gosser's hitting regressed this year?  Looks out of sync.
Or are we seeing the real Gosser at the plate?  Remember he only had 25 ABs after his RS was pulled and hit well, but followed it up a summer down in Texas where he hit around the Mendoza line.  He did draw a lot of walks, but he struggled otherwise.

Hogbaseballforlife

UCA - why are so negative toward Gosser?  Every post I have read from you has only been been negative toward him.  I thought you weren't supposed to bash players?  I know this will be removed, but I just don't understand why the negativity.  Maybe he did have a bad at bat, but stop being so negative toward him every time his name comes up.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Hogbaseballforlife on March 28, 2015, 07:43:25 pm
UCA - why are so negative toward Gosser?  Every post I have read from you has only been been negative toward him.  I thought you weren't supposed to bash players?  I know this will be removed, but I just don't understand why the negativity.  Maybe he did have a bad at bat, but stop being so negative toward him every time his name comes up.
I am not always negative towards Gosser.  I think he is our third best option behind the plate on this team.  He is really struggling at the plate and he leaves a lot to be desired behind the plate IMO.  While Pennell isn't special behind the plate, he does an adequate job back there.  Shaddy is not very good defensively, but his bat is very good.

How am I bashing Gosser?  I feel like I am completely in the rules of Hogville in what I have said.  I'm sure someone would have pointed out that I am out of line by now.  And did you watch his AB last night?  Sure, he could have struck out anyway, but the way he did made it one of the worst ABs by a Hog in a long time.  It was one of the missed opportunities that could have led to a sweep.

Scott7703

Quote from: ucahogfan on March 28, 2015, 08:10:18 pm
I am not always negative towards Gosser.  I think he is our third best option behind the plate on this team.  He is really struggling at the plate and he leaves a lot to be desired behind the plate IMO.  While Pennell isn't special behind the plate, he does an adequate job back there.  Shaddy is not very good defensively, but his bat is very good.

How am I bashing Gosser?  I feel like I am completely in the rules of Hogville in what I have said.  I'm sure someone would have pointed out that I am out of line by now.  And did you watch his AB last night?  Sure, he could have struck out anyway, but the way he did made it one of the worst ABs by a Hog in a long time.  It was one of the missed opportunities that could have led to a sweep.

I agree with all of this. Nothing personal against him but he has shown me nothing that would make me sit Pennell to play him. Just my opinion of course.

SPAL

I didn't see it as bashing him.

To be clear, stating that a batter is struggling at the plate or had a bad at bat or got fooled on a breaking ball is part of discussing baseball.

If he starts saying the batter sucks, is an  idiot, or talking about his momma....I'll show him the door.

I know a lot of newcomers check out this forum and see civil debates and it is a culture shock to them. But nowhere have I seen bashing. I.promise, if I do.....it will be dealt with.

SPAL

Besides, UCA is one of us. He has been here and brings great info. He knows what he is doing.

jry04

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 28, 2015, 09:21:00 am
I miss James McCann.
Or even Baxendale. It is a shame he had such a poor attitude. He is hitting .426 in 47 ABs at Crowder this year. Was one of our better hitters last year before his injury.

ucahogfan

Quote from: jry04 on March 28, 2015, 08:21:31 pm
Or even Baxendale. It is a shame he had such a poor attitude. He is hitting .426 in 47 ABs at Crowder this year. Was one of our better hitters last year before his injury.
Could Bax handle being a full-time catcher in the SEC?  I think he is best suited to be a DH because of his bat, but he had a lot of room for improvement behind the plate.

I agree it is a shame that he is no longer with the program, but our lineup is just fine without him.

Scott7703

Quote from: jry04 on March 28, 2015, 08:21:31 pm

Would love to still have Blake here and right in the middle of the hogs lineup. Like UCA said though not sure where he fit in on the field.

Knot2brite

First, UCA and I disagree on a lot of things...Gosser is one of them. Second, UCA uses and interprets facts , as he sees them, on why Gosser is not the best option at catcher. That isn't bashing if you use intelligent thought and back it up with solid information. Third, UCA has been here, done that and got the tshirt on knowing our players and coaches. Bashing is a whole other thing....and I am not giving an example. Read more...post less until you are more familiar with us
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

WilsonHog

No, this won't be removed.

We don't allow bashing of players; what UCA said was not bashing. Let me illustrate the line for you.

This is bashing:

"Gosser sucks. He's horrible."

"Gosser is a waste of a scholarship."

"Gosser should transfer."

This is not:

"Gosser is hitting below the Mendoza line. He can't be our best option back there."

"That last AB by Gosser was pitiful."

"Gosser seriously struggles to hit off-speed pitches."

If the last three statements are out of bounds, then baseball cannot be discussed.

SPAL

Quote from: mrp on March 28, 2015, 11:49:29 pm
Only one explanation for this......

THIS.  IS.  HORN. BALL!!!!

Have you watched us play this year? Your post seems to indicate you haven't. Besides, DVH had been tossed and was not a factor in this game.

Kevin

Bunt then pinch hit didn't like Gosser batting there
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

woodhog14

After reading your post history, I assume you are a parent of Gosser or someone related to him?

Hogbaseballforlife

Nope...neither one.  I just don't like seeing individual players getting bashed.  Maybe bashed is the wrong word to use.  Maybe criticize is a better word.  I get on this site a lot and have for a long time.  I just don't post very often.  I enjoy reading UCA's statistics and can appreciate that.  What I don't understand is why do you take individual players and criticize them?  Do you not think that some players, parents, or friends read these posts?  Would you say the same thing to that player to his face?  I just don't get if you are as big of a Hog baseball die hard as you post, then why be so critical.  What's the point?  Let's face it...all these players are great players or they wouldn't have a Razorback uniform on.  Why do we as fans have to criticize?  To hear ourselves talk as if we could do any better??  I know I will be blasted by some for my post and that's fine....I just find it sad that whether you realize it or not, being critical of kids only causes controversy.  Maybe that's the point is to cause controversy, and if so you have succeeded.  I just think you need to consider that social media has strong implications whether good or bad.  It makes me sick when people are criticized for whatever the reason.  This doesn't just go for for baseball, this is any sport.  Why is that when a player or coach does something well it is just expected, but the minute they screw up, the horns come out.  I just don't get it.

Scott7703

Quote from: Hogbaseballforlife on March 29, 2015, 09:06:12 pm
Nope...neither one.  I just don't like seeing individual players getting bashed.  Maybe bashed is the wrong word to use.  Maybe criticize is a better word.  I get on this site a lot and have for a long time.  I just don't post very often.  I enjoy reading UCA's statistics and can appreciate that.  What I don't understand is why do you take individual players and criticize them?  Do you not think that some players, parents, or friends read these posts?  Would you say the same thing to that player to his face?  I just don't get if you are as big of a Hog baseball die hard as you post, then why be so critical.  What's the point?  Let's face it...all these players are great players or they wouldn't have a Razorback uniform on.  Why do we as fans have to criticize?  To hear ourselves talk as if we could do any better??  I know I will be blasted by some for my post and that's fine....I just find it sad that whether you realize it or not, being critical of kids only causes controversy.  Maybe that's the point is to cause controversy, and if so you have succeeded.  I just think you need to consider that social media has strong implications whether good or bad.  It makes me sick when people are criticized for whatever the reason.  This doesn't just go for for baseball, this is any sport.  Why is that when a player or coach does something well it is just expected, but the minute they screw up, the horns come out.  I just don't get it.
m

Very good post. The one thing I would say is in most cases to me it is more discussion of the game rather than a blatant attempt to belittle any one player. Also, when playing a major college sport it is just nature of the beast for performance to be discussed. Not saying I agree or disagree but just the fact of the matter.

SPAL

Well, why even have message boards? Why even discuss the game? Good lord, this is tame. If people get their feathers ruffled because Joe Somebody on a message board thinks said player struggles hitting a breaking ball, maybe college sports isn't for them.

I'm not trying to be mean but I talk to several parents via PM who tell me they appreciate our fandom and they appreciate this forum and the way it is ran. I welcome and encourage any and all parents and/or family members to reach out to me if they feel someone has crossed a line.

I assure you bashing will not be tolerated. I have and will continue to delete posts and posters that cross that line. But stating facts and using stats, it won't go away. That is the game. I am sorry that it offends you. If you are a family member, please send me a PM and talk to me about it. Like I said, several do and I do everything I can to accommodate them and encourage them. But I can't and won't sensor the conversation.