Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Golfing in Branson

Started by GolfNut57, March 26, 2015, 11:38:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

So it seems that this year, instead of my normal trip to Daytona Beach for some golf on the FL courses while breathing that good salty air off of the ocean, >:( I may have to resort to vacationing closer to home as in a trip to Branson due to unexpected circumstances. I have never been there so no idea what to expect. So what are the recommendations here? What courses should I play and in what order. I know I am going plan on playing the Payne Stewart course but want to play at least two more out of the following choices of Ledgestone, Thousand Hills, Pointe Royale and Top of the Rock. Is there another course I should take a swing at? I will be going in early June. What say y'all?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Tripod1

Been awhile but Branson Creek is my favorite up there.

HSVhogfan2

Branson Creek is called Buffalo something or other now. It's still very good. Payne Stewart Tribute and it are the 2 best IMO. One called Stoneledge by Siver Dollar City is very good, as well. Pointe Royale is on Green Mountain Drive of off 76 a few miles and is an old course, but still good. Holliday Hills is another original course that is in Hollistor, South of Branson close to the Buffalo course. Top of the Rock is the plushest par 3 course I've ever played and has the best views in Branson. Take a camera to it. It's close to the Buffalo course too. Only one I haven't played is John Dalys course.

If you get a condo and they try to gouge you around Branson Landing, don't be afraid to stay up around Point Royals off Green Mountain Drive. Still close enough to stuff and nice places to stay.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Rendezvous Cook

GolfNut57

Quote from: Rendezvous Cook on March 27, 2015, 09:52:27 am
Sent you a PM. 

www.executivegolfpackages.com

Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to plan my own vacations rather than pay someone else to do it for me.

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on March 27, 2015, 07:04:41 am
Branson Creek is called Buffalo something or other now. It's still very good. Payne Stewart Tribute and it are the 2 best IMO. One called Stoneledge by Siver Dollar City is very good, as well. Pointe Royale is on Green Mountain Drive of off 76 a few miles and is an old course, but still good. Holliday Hills is another original course that is in Hollistor, South of Branson close to the Buffalo course. Top of the Rock is the plushest par 3 course I've ever played and has the best views in Branson. Take a camera to it. It's close to the Buffalo course too. Only one I haven't played is John Dalys course.

Yeah, after I posted last night I did a little checking of the courses there and as I understand it the Buffalo course is supposed to have actual buffalo fenced in there. That should be neat to see. The Par three course is a Nicklaus design and though I don't normally go that route I may this time. Judging by the pics there it does offer some great views.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

jfan01

Top of the Rock is probably one of the nicest par 3 courses in the world, but my understanding is that the rates are also world class. I would have a hard time paying 150 or whatever they charge for a par 3. Especially when there are other very nice full courses nearby for less.

Sir Oinksalot

...Ledgestone and the old Branson Creek (didn't look up the new name) are my favorites.  Then Payne Stewart and the John Daly course.

Thousand Hills on Green Mtn. Dr. is kinda cool because it's so close to the strip.....Point Royal, and Holiday Hills (which I believe is the old
Branson CC) are ok but not in the class of these others...
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Rendezvous Cook

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 27, 2015, 04:24:23 pm
Thanks but no thanks. I prefer to plan my own vacations rather than pay someone else to do it for me.

Yeah, after I posted last night I did a little checking of the courses there and as I understand it the Buffalo course is supposed to have actual buffalo fenced in there. That should be neat to see. The Par three course is a Nicklaus design and though I don't normally go that route I may this time. Judging by the pics there it does offer some great views.

I actually save you money.  The courses and home owners pay me. No fees etc for our players.  And if you're going before May, Buffalo Ridge and Top of the Rock will be closed and most other courses will have areated greens.

root_hawg

Where all do you book Rendevous?

arkmark

Payne Stewart, Buffalo Ridge and Ledgestone are the three top 18 hole courses in the Branson area.  Murder Rock, Daley's former course, is now owned by Johnny Morris and when he purchased it, Branson Creek now Buffalo Run and Top of the Rock, a ton of money was put into upgrades at Buffalo Run and Top of the Rock.  Murder Rock was closed, to reopen at a date to be determined.  I have heard nothing about whether it will reopen this year.

Rendezvous Cook

Quote from: root_hawg on March 28, 2015, 10:23:55 am
Where all do you book Rendevous?

Any where you want to go.  We specialize in Branson and Destin, FL but can book anywhere. 

root_hawg

mhuff

Thousand Hills is just a golf course to hit a ball around. I played it two days and got rained out. It's OK but that's it. It was pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

Rendezvous Cook

GolfNut57

Quote from: jfan01 on March 27, 2015, 08:32:44 pm
Top of the Rock is probably one of the nicest par 3 courses in the world, but my understanding is that the rates are also world class. I would have a hard time paying 150 or whatever they charge for a par 3. Especially when there are other very nice full courses nearby for less.

I checked their rates online today. $115. for nine holes and $65 for a replay. $180. for 18 holes? Believe I will pass as that is ridiculous for a par three course. As you said, there are other nice courses there much cheaper. Guy at the Payne Stewart course told me their current rate right now is just $83. if you play before 11:00. After that it starts dropping incrementally.

b_stackhouse

I would suggest going to Top of the Rock and get in a range session in the evening. Their range is one of the nicest I've ever seen. It obviously isn't as expensive as the par 3 course, but you get to see a lot of the same views.

Me and a couple buddies went up there last summer and it was well worth it. Pretty neat experience.

As far as courses, Ledge Stone is a great place to play. Some really fun holes with drastic elevation changes. The par 3 on the back (15 or 16 I think) has about a 100' drop from tee to green. Fun hole!!

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: GolfNut57 on March 29, 2015, 08:27:29 pm
I checked their rates online today. $115. for nine holes and $65 for a replay. $180. for 18 holes? Believe I will pass as that is ridiculous for a par three course. As you said, there are other nice courses there much cheaper. Guy at the Payne Stewart course told me their current rate right now is just $83. if you play before 11:00. After that it starts dropping incrementally.

At least go to the restaurant and get a pizza. They cook them in an old school wood oven, and they are the bomb! The upstairs restaurant is the best in Branson, IMO.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

jfan01

It was just announced that Coore and Crenshaw will be designing a new course at Buffalo Ridge. Should be phenomenal.

vol_in_ar

Looking for reco's on 4 courses to play...
I was thinking of Buffalo Ridge, (the old Branson Creek) as one of them, but I believe it's still closed..

tia

pigture perfect

I played pointe Royale this week. Back 9 was darn near unplayable because of repairs being made and it being so soggy. I would avoid it this year. Ought to be nicer next spring.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

GolfNut57

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 12, 2015, 04:09:46 pm
I played pointe Royale this week. Back 9 was darn near unplayable because of repairs being made and it being so soggy. I would avoid it this year. Ought to be nicer next spring.

What repairs were they making to the back nine? I plan on being in Branson around the second week in June.

pigture perfect

They are re-doing bunkers on 11 for sure and at least 2 more on back 9, as well as 1 on front. Adding some trees along cart paths as well. It was just holding lots of water in places.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

vol_in_ar

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 12, 2015, 04:09:46 pm

thank you

ricepig

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on May 22, 2015, 05:39:32 pm
A little extra sand trap opens up at Top of the Rock.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/huge-sinkhole-swallow-part-of-top-of-the-rock-golf-course/21048998_33175978

I don't think they should repair it. Just put some sand in the bottom, make a staircase for it and call it a pot bunker.  :)

al2305

I was in Branson this week.  I played Top of the Rock and Buffalo Ridge.  Top of the Rock may be worth it to some people because of the views, the condition of the course and clubhouse.   For me it wasn't simply because it's a 9hole par 3 course.  I just wanted to see it one time.  After taxes it was $140.  It was very nice but I wont be goin back.  After I played I wanted to hit some balls.  I went to Buffalo Ridge. They have a great range and short game area.  You can buy a day pass for $20 to hit balls all day.  If you love to hit balls its a hell of a deal.  Great turf and NXTs for balls.  I played it the next day(Wednesday).  This course is IMO by far the best course in Branson.  And now that Johnny Morris owns it he is spending millions on it to make it off the charts.  I had played it twice since he bought it and it has looked different for the better every time I have come back.  Fantastic views, caves, water features, cedar bridges, and of course real Buffalo grazing off number one tee.  It had rained but the course was still in great condition.
Morris is also completely gutting Murder Rock and putting 2 18 holes courses and a 9 hole course in as well.  Im sure it will be just as nice as Buffalo Ridge.

Payne Stewart is a good course and worth playin, tougher than Buffalo Ridge I think.  But for my money it's Buffalo Ridge every time for me.

GolfNut57

How much were the green fees at Buffalo Ridge? And do you have any idea what the fees are at the Payne Stewart course? Thanks.

al2305

Quote from: GolfNut57 on June 01, 2015, 07:38:53 am
How much were the green fees at Buffalo Ridge? And do you have any idea what the fees are at the Payne Stewart course? Thanks.

Buffalo ridge $99 PS probably like $89 I think

GolfNut57

Oh well.......I decided to go back to Daytona Beach again this year anyway.  :)

sooiebaby

I had the pleasure of playing Payne Stewarts course over the weekend. Beautiful course in pristine condition with a layout that demands sound course management and lots of touch around the greens. Fairways were more forgiving than I expected, but approaches had to be nothing short of stellar for any hope of making par, much less birdie. Greens were faster than anything I've ever played on besides concrete.

Myself and 5 friends went in on a package deal that included a round at the course, and a night in a  2 bedroom, 2 bath Villa that sat not far off the course itself. It was something like $155 per person. Overall, 10/10 would do it again in a heartbeat. Highly recommended.
The problem with todays society is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

arkmark

Quote from: al2305 on June 04, 2015, 02:36:22 pm
Buffalo ridge $99 PS probably like $89 I think

Payne Stewart uses "Dynamic Pricing" for their greens fees.  Right now summe week days start at $99 at 6:30am, drop to $94 at 8:00, to $79 at 11:00 and $69 at 3:00.  Weekend pricing starts at about $110 at opening and fluctuates through out the day, up and down, based on the use rates at various times.  This pricing program will also changed daily and even hourly if play is slow or heavy, depending on weather and so forth.
Check out Payne Stewart Golf Club for information on how it works.  They also have a time for play program.  The earlier you start in the day the faster your expected to play the game, a bit slower towards the afternoon.  Max play time is expected at the slow times to be 4hr 24 minutes.