Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Media spin machine

Started by Kevin, February 04, 2018, 09:52:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Will be in full force till the usce game.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Davidr295

Bo's show will be nothing but guests saying yes Anderson needs to do better but we can't get anyone better so just be thankful for what we have.

Davidr295

It already started this week with people saying next year's team will be better. Lol. We lose 7 seniors and 80-90% of our production but we will be better. It's laughable.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 04, 2018, 10:13:12 am
It already started this week with people saying next year's team will be better. Lol. We lose 7 seniors and 80-90% of our production but we will be better. It's laughable.

I'd said it before and I'll say it again. A class that's ranked somewhere in the twenties are not the saviors of the program that Mike's cultist want you to believe. Next years team will be mediocre again with a mediocre class.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Davidr295 on February 04, 2018, 10:13:12 am
Truly laughable but most fans fall for it every time. Next year's class is the savior class. Give Anderson two more years.

Look, it's very simple: a head coach with 7 years under his belt at a program is not suddenly going to begin winning the conference and/or going to the Sweet 16 or better. 2 times in the NCAAT in 6 years and both times as a middling seed, losing in 2nd round. Probably not going this year so that will be 2 times in 7 years.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hoglady

Anderson either makes it to the NCAA this year or gets fired.
That should be the line he has to cross to keep his job.

The media can spin it all they want but most won't be buying what they're selling.
There are no excuses for what this team has looked like since conference began.

And I'm an Anderson supporter - I want the team to turn it around and Anderson to keep his job.
But making the NCAA tournament this year should be the minimum job requirement and if you don't you've failed miserably.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogimus Prime

MA don't make the tournament this year and he won't next year, then that's two NCAA tournaments in 8 seasons.

redneckfriend

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 04, 2018, 10:27:06 am

I'd said it before and I'll say it again. A class that's ranked somewhere in the twenties are not the saviors of the program that Mike's cultist want you to believe. Next years team will be mediocre again with a mediocre class.

I wouldn't go that far but I think basically you are right. These recruiting classes are oversold- they just aren't that good. This years was in the mid 30s, next years in the mid 20s (247). Kind of like the football team and with the same results. I just wouldn't call a recruiting class in the 20s "mediocre". It's better than that but not at the level that would make the team a true contender in the SEC.

The real question(s) are can Anderson recruit better than this and is he doing as much as any coach would be able to with the talent he has? I don't know the answer to either question however I suspect recruiting to Arkansas is a lot harder than people believe and I think another coach might be able to do a little better with the talent that can be assembled. I also "think" that the reason for the latter opinion (not know or have evidence for) is  that Anderson is not demanding enough or tough enough to get them to play to their potential as a team. Think Bobby Knight-I'm guessing the toughness factor alone would have made this team a real tough out if he were coaching it.

elksnort

What I would like to Media to do is to ask Mike Anderson why they leave three point shooters wide open, why does offense often times look so stagnant, etc.
Whenever I watched slash listen to the press conferences it's always starts off with Bob Holt's whining ass voice asking some softball question

bkjbearcat

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 04, 2018, 11:25:42 am
I wouldn't go that far but I think basically you are right. These recruiting classes are oversold- they just aren't that good. This years was in the mid 30s, next years in the mid 20s (247). Kind of like the football team and with the same results. I just wouldn't call a recruiting class in the 20s "mediocre". It's better than that but not at the level that would make the team a true contender in the SEC.

The real question(s) are can Anderson recruit better than this and is he doing as much as any coach would be able to with the talent he has? I don't know the answer to either question however I suspect recruiting to Arkansas is a lot harder than people believe and I think another coach might be able to do a little better with the talent that can be assembled. I also "think" that the reason for the latter opinion (not know or have evidence for) is  that Anderson is not demanding enough or tough enough to get them to play to their potential as a team. Think Bobby Knight-I'm guessing the toughness factor alone would have made this team a real tough out if he were coaching it.

That's a myth by the whoa is me MA cultist say. It's NOT harder to recruit at Arkansas. You just have to have a HC and staff that's more then incompetent. That's the issue. MA and staff are just horrible recruiters and developers.  Many of the excuses for poor football recruiting ARE NOT THERE in basketball. Good basketball player will go to private schools  with half the resources Arkansas does. Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, WSU, Butler, VCU, West Virginia are some of the schools that have been to the Final Four since 2010.

Arkansas has the facilities, the resources and recruiting base. Now they just need someone who isn't a PC nostalgia act as HC.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

redneckfriend

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 04, 2018, 11:53:29 am
That's a myth by the whoa is me MA cultist say. It's NOT harder to recruit at Arkansas. You just have to have a HC and staff that's more then incompetent. That's the issue. MA and staff are just horrible recruiters and developers.  Many of the excuses for poor football recruiting ARE NOT THERE in basketball. Good basketball player will go to private schools  with half the resources Arkansas does. Gonzaga, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, WSU, Butler, VCU, West Virginia are some of the schools that have been to the Final Four since 2010.

Arkansas has the facilities, the resources and recruiting base. Now they just need someone who isn't a PC nostalgia act as HC.

Sorry, can't agree with you. You've missed the point. Arkansas isn't easy to recruit to because it sits in the middle of a lot of options that are as good or better. If there were a coach who could bring out the best then it would become a school the better players would look at seriously (and, unlike football, 4*s are not the standard- you need at least one elite player nearly every year). That isn't likely to happen at this point. Much like football, it isn't easy to get that kind of coach (and you'll excuse me if I laugh at the adulation "CCM" is getting without having done a single thing). The ducks have to be exactly in a row for Arkansas to attract a basketball coach good enough to recruit big and win big here and firing Anderson at this point is not the way to do it.

elksnort

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 04, 2018, 12:06:25 pm
Sorry, can't agree with you. You've missed the point. Arkansas isn't easy to recruit to because it sits in the middle of a lot of options that are as good or better. If there were a coach who could bring out the best then it would become a school the better players would look at seriously (and, unlike football, 4*s are not the standard- you need at least one elite player nearly every year). That isn't likely to happen at this point. Much like football, it isn't easy to get that kind of coach (and you'll excuse me if I laugh at the adulation "CCM" is getting without having done a single thing). The ducks have to be exactly in a row for Arkansas to attract a basketball coach good enough to recruit big and win big here and firing Anderson at this point is not the way to do it.
Wrong.
Arkansas has a good a facilities as any school even remotely close by.
They can pack 19k fans who hungry for a winner.
Although Arkansas only has 2.9 million people, there is ENOUGH high d1 talent within the state that can be supplemented by Memphis, Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, etc.
There takes less #s to win in basketball and the hogs still have a great tradition of this.
Heck, even with this current team, a more sophisticated or versatile coach could yield better results and not look so inconsistent.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: elksnort on February 04, 2018, 12:15:19 pm
Wrong.
Although Arkansas only has 2.9 million people, there is ENOUGH high d1 talent within the state that can be supplemented by Memphis, Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, etc.
There takes less #s to win in basketball and the hogs still have a great tradition of this.
Heck, even with this current team, a more sophisticated or versatile coach could yield better results and not look so inconsistent.

Arkansas has never been nationally relevant when they didn't have a elite in state player or players on the roster. Outside of Day, Miller and Mayberry.

HogBreath

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 04, 2018, 12:18:25 pm
Arkansas has never been nationally relevant when they didn't have a elite in state player or players on the roster.
Wasn't Mayberry from Tulsa, Day from Memphis, Big O from Ft Worth?
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

elksnort

Arkansas has never been nationally relevant when they didn't have a elite in state player or players on the roster.
okay. What did I say that disputes This?
In fact, you are helping my case.

elksnort

Quote from: HogBreath on February 04, 2018, 12:21:47 pm
Wasn't Mayberry from Tulsa, Day from Memphis, Big O from Ft Worth?
Exactly. Part of point.
So when Anderson's teams start to suck, then the new narrative is that there not enough talent locally to win.
This is bull crap. There is enough talent with 250 of Fayetteville to supply the hogs with a consistently good basketball team.
Football is another story.

raz1965

I'm very dissiapointed in this team, however a new younger class could certainly be a answer. We need forwards that can hit the open 10 to 12 foot shots an open up the space under the basket with some players that can make moves when it opens. Players certainly make a difference. I see things on the court beyond coaches controll, however defensive adjustment can an should be done to help the current team move into the tourney. If we got a new great coach that would be fine, but it's not gonna happen this year so I hope Mike gets it turned around an it possible he just may. Some times things are not as bad as they seem, a few things here an there can make a huge difference. A fine line between losing  an winning in a tough conference. We shall see.

alohawg

Arkansas has never been nationally relevant when they didn't have a elite in state player or players on the roster. Outside of Day, Miller and Mayberry.

False
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

bkjbearcat

Quote from: elksnort on February 04, 2018, 12:15:19 pm
Wrong.

The, "It's harder to recruit at Arkansas" crap is a excuse Mike's cultist say after guys like Goodwin, Monk and Perry tell him to go fly a kite. It's the big lie. One I hope the new future HC of the Hogs will gladly disprove.

Letsroll1200

HogBreath

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Letsroll1200

HogBreath

swineology

Obviously you never watched a game in the Barn and too young to remember Super Sid, Marvin Delph, Ron Brewer or Darrell Walker.

Coach Sutton had us relevant but just couldn't get us the NC that Nolan did.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 04, 2018, 11:53:29 am

Louisville has the facilities, the resources, the recruiting base, PLUS huge fan support, national recognition, recent national championship and had a HOF coach and  even schools with tradition and history like Louisville have resorted to using strippers and cash to get players.

Hogs only recently got a practice facility and subsequent recruiting classes have been the best of Anderson's tenure here.

Same problem with football except basketball has started to benefit from a bumper crop of instate talent such as Gafford, Hall and Garland and others in the next three or four classes.

Nevertheless, whether CMA or a new guy, Arkansas basketball will be back as a force soon.

Hogs up! Covid down!

Atlhogfan1

This so 7-8 years deep in Nutt-era like.   

Worst case scenario I was worried about years ago starting to play out especially if they don't turn this season around now. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rambo Hog

Central Arkansas has some of the best high school basketball players in the country because the Little Rock School public schools are so bad in football and most of them are playing basketball instead football. Mike Anderson messed up in not having a backup plan for when Perry out the blue decided to go to Mississippi State trying to say his dad's health which we found out was a lie after the Miss. State local media talked to his dad and said nothing was wrong with him. Mike Anderson struggled find another  because basically got lazy  after  got the four players to commit together  he thought he had his class in place and was late in recruiting a lot guys. He replaced Perry with a late bloomer three star that no one knows if he is good or not. 

razorpimp

Ok...well let's just go with what you are saying even though I don't agree....

There have been in state elite players and they are either not offered or lost by Mike...that's another big problem with him....

Look at the top 25, there are lots of Schools is similar situations to Arkansas that are succeeding

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razorpimp on February 04, 2018, 03:44:44 pm
Ok...well let's just go with what you are saying even though I don't agree....

There have been in state elite players and they are either not offered or lost by Mike...that's another big problem with him....

Look at the top 25, there are lots of Schools is similar situations to Arkansas that are succeeding

Walker Robertson Klein weren't Arkansans.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 04, 2018, 01:31:01 pm
This so 7-8 years deep in Nutt-era like.   

Worst case scenario I was worried about years ago starting to play out especially if they don't turn this season around now.
Spot on and I can admit I was wrong to want MA to be here, I just thought he was Nolan lite and he just isn't other than the part where he is too arrogant to recruit hard! This is the exact reason I am so thankful that Malzahn showed his true colors because it would have been HDN part 2....or as you are saying part 3!

Hoggish1

Quote from: hoglady on February 04, 2018, 10:49:18 am

The media can spin it all they want but most won't be buying what they're selling.

And I'm an Anderson supporter - I want the team to turn it around and Anderson to keep his job.
But making the NCAA tournament this year should be the minimum job requirement and if you don't you've failed miserably.

My sentiments, exactly.  Make the NCAA tournament or get fired.  Look at the place we play in and the fan base turn out for a winner.  How many other venues are there like ours anywhere else, outside of UK?

We have the most passionate fans in the conference.

1highhog

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 04, 2018, 12:06:25 pm

The ducks were not all lined up in a row when Broyles hired Sutton to Arkansas.  Arkansas was a terrible place to come when Sutton arrived here, how many of y'all remember what it looked like when he first arrived here?  I'm surprised he didn't run as fast as he could right back to Creighton.  Nolan when he arrived here the foundation was laid, Arkansas was a good basketball school and Nolan took us to the top in his time here.   Years of mismanagement and sorry coaching hires has led to what we have now.  Can we build the program to what it once was, yes!  But it will take a willing AD with a vision to bring this about and willing to not settle for nothing but the best when it comes to hiring the right Coach for the job.  Arkansas, unlike how we are in football, can recruit very well to where we are located, well enough to challenge for SEC titles and National Championships.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: swineology on February 04, 2018, 01:16:53 pm
Obviously you never watched a game in the Barn and too young to remember Super Sid, Marvin Delph, Ron Brewer or Darrell Walker.

Coach Sutton had us relevant but just couldn't get us the NC that Nolan did.

Arkansas boys

hawgfan4life

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 04, 2018, 10:27:06 am

Haters want it both ways.  No way we can be better with loss of upper classmen yet believe any new coach can have instant success and can spout a list of examples.

bigred223

Quote from: hoglady on February 04, 2018, 10:49:18 am

Couldn't agree more.

pigroots

Quote from: 1highhog on February 04, 2018, 05:22:09 pm
The ducks were not all lined up in a row when Broyles hired Sutton to Arkansas.  Arkansas was a terrible place to come when Sutton arrived here, how many of y'all remember what it looked like when he first arrived here?  I'm surprised he didn't run as fast as he could right back to Creighton.  Nolan when he arrived here the foundation was laid, Arkansas was a good basketball school and Nolan took us to the top in his time here.   Years of mismanagement and sorry coaching hires has led to what we have now.  Can we build the program to what it once was, yes!  But it will take a willing AD with a vision to bring this about and willing to not settle for nothing but the best when it comes to hiring the right Coach for the job.  Arkansas, unlike how we are in football, can recruit very well to where we are located, well enough to challenge for SEC titles and National Championships.
Absolutely True....good post

Mike Irwin

February 04, 2018, 09:53:50 pm #36 Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 07:26:50 am by Mike Irwin
Quote from: Kevin on February 04, 2018, 09:52:36 am
Will be in full force till the usce game.
I can only speak for myself but I don't have an opinion on whether or not Mike should be fired.  I'm told that the BOT is out of patience with Mike but they've already forced Long and Bielema out. That's a slippery slope. The NCAA has rules against that sort of thing mainly because at some schools boosters have ended up as board members and gotten themselves heavily involved in athletics. Technically the NCAA can impose sanctions on schools that do that.

They don't usually enforce it but I think Yuracheck is a pretty smart guy. I could see him reminding Steinmetz that it's the AD's job to hire and fire coaches. The BOT's job is to hire and fire chancellors and system presidents.

Any decison on Anderson will almost certainly fall to Yuracheck. I have no clue what his thinking is but it's likely that he's going to want to be around all of his coaches for while before he starts firing people.

To me next year is more likely if Yurachek decides to pull the trigger on Mike. But again, that's a guess not a statement of support for Mike.

1highhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 04, 2018, 09:53:50 pm

I can only speak for myself but I don't have an opinion on whether or not Mike should be fired.  I'm told that the BOT is out of patience with Mike but they've already forced Long and Bielema out. That's a slippery slope. The NCAA has rules against that sort of thing mainly because at some schools boosters have ended up as board members and gotten themselves heavily involved in athletics. Technically the NCAA can impose sanctions on schools that do that.

They don't usually enforce it but I think Yuracheck is a pretty smart guy. I could see him reminding Steinmetz that it's the AD's job to hire and fire coaches. The BOT's job is to hire and fire chancellors and system presidents.

Any decison on Anderson will almost certainly fall to Yuracheck. I have no clue what his thinking is but it's likely that he's going to want to be around all of his coaches for while before he starts firing people.

To me next year is more likely if Yurachek decides to pull the trigger on Mike. But again, that's an opinion not a statement of support for Mike.

Good post Mike, thanks for the comment.

swineology

To me next year is more likely if Yurachek decides to pull the trigger on Mike. But again, that's an opinion not a statement of support for Mike.
Thanks for the input Mike!

GoHogs1091

I for one feel that the local media won't be a spin machine regarding Mike Anderson.

I feel the local media does an excellent job covering the Hogs.

Media in general are not spin machines, and the local media that cover the Hogs are not spin machines.  I can think of only 1 media outlet that is a spin machine, and that is the Faux News Network (aka, the Don Trump propaganda network).

Tejano Jawg

Mike Irwin makes a good point. We just fired our athletic director AND head football coach. That's some serious moving and shaking. Do we follow that up by firing our head basketball coach too?...wow, how scorched-earth does that look?

Those recent events might have bought Coach Anderson another year.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

ArkansasI

Mike Irwin did make a good point. Still, the AD was let go because he totally screwed the finances. Regardless of his accomplishments, Jeff should never have given Bret the financial security he received. It's amazing he didn't develop better relations with the money - given how liberally he spent it.

I thought the north end zone project was premature, too - but that's me just guessing as to whether that may have contributed to Jeff's demise.  My primary point is these colleges must become better stewards of the money they control.

No one was surprised that Bret was terminated. Seemed like much of the media questioned the manner in which it was handled. I thought it was handled perfectly - sparing Bret from that ast press conference was an act of mercy.

I can't imagine anyone would argue that firing Mike would violate any rule. Mike is the second longest tenured basketball coach in the SEC.  The Hogs have a rich basketball tradition, but have not been threatening a conference championship or national relevance in 20 years.

I don't think we make a change, but absent a trip to the Sweet 16 I believe we should turn the program over to a fresh staff. Kentucky and Auburn didn't get in trouble for turning their programs over to cheaters. Alabama and LSU showed far less patience with their coaches than Arkansas has shown for Mike.

This is high priced competition. And the Hogs have two second round appearances for $17M+. The AD would not be considered unreasonable for demanding more return on this investment.

hogman64

why should they fire Anderson........aren't we selling out most all conference games?  Arkansas fans now celebrate getting a 9 seed and going home the first weekend, that is the standard to meet.  the media and the administration don't care if we win an SEC championship and go deep into the tournament, they just sell hope, magazines, tv shows etc  and keep the fans believing and contributing  , seems to be working .. Why in the world would they fire the coach?  I used to drive across the state and back in a night to see Arkansas play basketball , now  I wouldn't drive across town to see them....

hogsanity

Firing Mike is cheap, financially. From what Mike said it might also buy HY some points with the BOT, without them having to get involved. Most fans won't care one way or the other. There will be a few that cry themselves to sleep because the last vestige of 1994 is gone, but most fans just want to have a hope of getting to the ncaat more than half the time, and actually getting past the 1st weekend once in a while too. Bring in a hot young coach will stoke excitement.

What will not bring any excitement is the same old song and dance, and dangling the recruiting class carrot again.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

MountieDawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 04, 2018, 10:33:54 pm
I for one feel that the local media won't be a spin machine regarding Mike Anderson.

I feel the local media does an excellent job covering the Hogs.

Media in general are not spin machines, and the local media that cover the Hogs are not spin machines.  I can think of only 1 media outlet that is a spin machine, and that is the Faux News Network (aka, the Don Trump propaganda network).

Poor guy, if you think the only media that spins is Fox News you may still believe in Santa Clause!
SEC!

redneckfriend

Quote from: 1highhog on February 04, 2018, 05:22:09 pm

You missed something that is more than a little germane in your short history of Arkansas basketball. The scorched earth battle between Richardson and Broyles made Arkansas basketball toxic for good coaches. You may not acknowledge it but that taint lingers. The hiring of Anderson did much to mitigate it. When Anderson is gone in a respectful way (you do understand I hope that Anderson is essentially a Nolan Richardson surrogate in all this) the path will be open for that theoretical AD with vision to make a better hire.

Arkansas is simply NOT a destination job for great coaches (and much of that is due to the recruiting disadvantages- as I expect we will see in this new football regime). Nolan Richardson, an up-and-comer with no real accomplishments, came because Eddie Sutton set the table (Eddie Sutton left because he didn't think the table had enough plates and forks). Bobby Petrino came because Long saw an opportunity and Long, I guess an example of that mythical visionary AD, struck quickly even though everyone knew that when Petrino got things together he would leave for greener pastures. Actually when you look back at coaches only one good coach (and not counting Broyles) ever finished his career here. He was humiliated by the powers that be and struck back in a vengeful and destructive way. That is the history and it matters even now. If that history isn't purged by the manner in which Anderson is treated it will be "wash, rinse, repeat".

HognotinMemphis

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hulk hog

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 05, 2018, 08:57:09 am
You missed something that is more than a little germane in your short history of Arkansas basketball. The scorched earth battle between Richardson and Broyles made Arkansas basketball toxic for good coaches. You may not acknowledge it but that taint lingers. The hiring of Anderson did much to mitigate it. When Anderson is gone in a respectful way (you do understand I hope that Anderson is essentially a Nolan Richardson surrogate in all this) the path will be open for that theoretical AD with vision to make a better hire.

Arkansas is simply NOT a destination job for great coaches (and much of that is due to the recruiting disadvantages- as I expect we will see in this new football regime). Nolan Richardson, an up-and-comer with no real accomplishments, came because Eddie Sutton set the table (Eddie Sutton left because he didn't think the table had enough plates and forks). Bobby Petrino came because Long saw an opportunity and Long, I guess an example of that mythical visionary AD, struck quickly even though everyone knew that when Petrino got things together he would leave for greener pastures. Actually when you look back at coaches only one good coach (and not counting Broyles) ever finished his career here. He was humiliated by the powers that be and struck back in a vengeful and destructive way. That is the history and it matters even now. If that history isn't purged by the manner in which Anderson is treated it will be "wash, rinse, repeat".
Totally disagree. Our current recruiting disadvantage is this staff can't do it. Not toxic on coaches. We have had an opportunity to hire 2 high level coaches since Nolan but we had unique circumstances that prevented both (though technically we hired one for a day.) If you look at all the factors (tradition, revenue, facilities, fan support) this is a top 20 job. It is better than any big 12 or sec job than Kansas and Kentucky historically. Now the question is has the new AD started working the list of names so we are prepared to make the big hire this time.
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: redneckfriend on February 05, 2018, 08:57:09 am

To add on to hulk's rebuttal of your spin:

Nolan was accomplished.  He wasn't first choice either.  Rollie came very close to taking the job after winning the NC at Villanova.

Petrino came because he wanted out of Atlanta and it was made known to Arkansas and Long.

Nolan was fired 16 years ago.  We've dealt with the Nolan/Mike anchor for nearly 20 years.  A few seasons leading up to Nolan's firing debating on whether or not Mike should replace him, 9 years of his success elsewhere and now 7 more seasons as our coach.  How much longer do we have to deal with the anchor now that we've returned to the 1997-2001 program level?  Who needs healing still and why? 

Coaches don't give a darn about this unless it will be used to undermine their program.  Do future coaches have to worry about it?  They know the Arkansas job is one where they will be paid well and have a chance for lots of success if they do their job well.  If outside media members were to pay attention to our program, they would be tell you they believe MA has underachieved. 

bkjbearcat

Quote from: hulk hog on February 05, 2018, 09:38:06 am
Totally disagree. Our current recruiting disadvantage is this staff can't do it. Not toxic on coaches. We have had an opportunity to hire 2 high level coaches since Nolan but we had unique circumstances that prevented both (though technically we hired one for a day.) If you look at all the factors (tradition, revenue, facilities, fan support) this is a top 20 job. It is better than any big 12 or sec job than Kansas and Kentucky historically. Now the question is has the new AD started working the list of names so we are prepared to make the big hire this time.

It's the Big Lie that the Arkansas job is hard and doesn't attract top candidates. Facilities are there. Fan support is there. Recruiting base (Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Western Tennessee) is there. Resources/money is there. Bill Self wanted the job after Nolan was fired. Dana Altman took the job until he spazed out. Unless ADHY completely messes it up, Hogs should get a good name.