Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lol at Finebaums show today

Started by checkraiser88, January 02, 2018, 02:09:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

checkraiser88

They are talking about how Gus's contract was an overreaction, and the LSU fans want everyone fired starting with the AD..Good stuff

Grag T

Lots of Awburners today are already wanting an expensive divorce from Malazan.  It's pretty hilarious.  ;D
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

hogsanity

Quote from: Grag T on January 02, 2018, 02:14:57 pm
Lots of Awburners today are already wanting an expensive divorce from Malazan.  It's pretty hilarious.  ;D

And no one saw that coming- ha ha ha ha ha.

The week before Gus decided to $tay at Aub, everytime his coming here would come up I would tell my wife how I hoped that did not happen. She would ask why i hated him so much. I said I did not hate him, I just hated how over hyped he was.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

redleg

Be careful what you wish for. Especially if your name rhymes with Bauburn.   :o
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

hogsanity

Quote from: redleg on January 02, 2018, 02:25:48 pm
Be careful what you wish for. Especially if your name rhymes with Bauburn.   :o

I am nit sure how many Aub fans actually were wishing he would stay. I think the admins did not want to deal with the fallout from dismissing a coach that had just beaten Ga and Bama when both were ranked #1. I have to think there were some in the admin that would not have been disappointed with a loss to Bama because they wanted to get rid of Gus. Now they are stuck in a worse position.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawginbigd1

Where you at Gus bussers LOL! We may or may not be better off, but it won't cost us another 50-60 mill and 8 years to move on if it doesn't work out!

LZH

I actually think that some Auburn money guys just didn't want to take the chance of Gus leaving them and catching lightning in a bottle in Fayetteville. If they didn't have an ace in the hole for a head coach, they'd rather overpay to keep him and take their chances.

HamboFirstBlood

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 02:24:27 pm

The week before Gus decided to $tay at Aub, everytime his coming here would come up I would tell my wife how I hoped that did not happen. She would ask why i hated him so much. I said I did not hate him, I just hated how over hyped he was.

My old man I had the same conversation. He is a big time Gus Busser and thought it was odd that I didn't share his excitement for him. Told him I think he's a decent coach but very overrated. I would have been fine with him but I wouldn't have been doing backflips like some people would have.

Hawghiggs

I think we actually got the better coach. Morris might not be a renowned coach. But he has plenty of connections in Texas and wants to prove himself. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Isn't it all so ironic? Malzahn wanted to leave to "come home" because he felt he was unappreciated at Auburn. Allegedly he even went to the extent of flying the wife to NW Arkansas to engage a Realtor and look for a house, in order to sell his level of seriousness to the Auburn Administration. That was a relatively small investment in selling his intent and she got to visit old friends in the process.

Meanwhile his Agent took certain unofficial Arkansas representatives on a tour of what would be required (financially and control wise) to "bring good ol Gus home". The bait was set and Gus dangled it in front of the Auburn Administration after beating hated rival Alabama, in the Iron Bowl. Had he not beaten Alabama, he and his Agent might have opted to actually come to Arkansas (their fall-back position) for a boat load of cash and more control than he would have had at Auburn. Either way it turned out, Gus couldn't lose.

So he gets his new contract and more power, promptly loses the SECCG and then worse than that, loses to UCF in a bowl game.

The only winners here were Malzahn, Jimmy Sexton and probably, Arkansas. Got to hand it to Sexton though, this is the kinda stuff that he gets paid to produce.
Go Hogs Go!

Polecat

Gus on the sidelines often has a look on his face like he's constipated. Between that and constantly rubbing, picking, wiping his nose, I'm pretty sure I'd get sick of watching all that if he were my coach
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

grayhawg

I'm glad Auburn is tied to Gus with big contract and buyout instead off us.

NoogaHog

Quote from: HamboFirstBlood on January 02, 2018, 02:39:15 pm
My old man I had the same conversation. He is a big time Gus Busser and thought it was odd that I didn't share his excitement for him. Told him I think he's a decent coach but very overrated. I would have been fine with him but I wouldn't have been doing backflips like some people would have.

Yep, I had the same conversation with my father-in-law (Auburn fan) over Thanksgiving. My in-laws love him at Auburn, so they can be happy with him.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Torqued pork

I just hope those poor folks enjoy watching the NCG. Bless their hearts.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Grag T on January 02, 2018, 02:14:57 pm
Two is a lot? 

247Hog

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 02, 2018, 03:01:56 pm
Yep, I had the same conversation with my father-in-law (Auburn fan) over Thanksgiving. My in-laws love him at Auburn, so they can be happy with him.

Have you asked them lately if they still like Gus?
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

NoogaHog

Quote from: 247Hog on January 02, 2018, 03:11:00 pm
Have you asked them lately if they still like Gus?

No, I actually haven't talked to them in a couple of weeks. I'll have to reach out to them.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

SemperHawg

Quote from: grayhawg on January 02, 2018, 02:57:51 pm
I dunno about tied, those idiots are dumb enough to fire him first year of his contract.

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 02, 2018, 02:45:12 pm
I think we actually got the better coach. Morris might not be a renowned coach. But he has plenty of connections in Texas and wants to prove himself. 
Connections don't win sh$t.  CCM best moment of his entire resume is that he helped recruit DeShuan Watson from Gainseville, GA (60 miles away) and coached him for one year.  He better to be able to recruit 5*s because he has never shown an ability to get more out of a player than the recruiting services predicted. 

247Hog

Quote from: NoogaHog on January 02, 2018, 03:23:39 pm
No, I actually haven't talked to them in a couple of weeks. I'll have to reach out to them.

Curious to see what they feel the same about Gus as they did at Thanksgiving.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogsanity on January 02, 2018, 02:24:27 pm

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The problem Gus had was his best player on offense getting hurt and his OC not being able in any way shape or form to coach around it.  His new OC, whom he swears by, is piss poor, in my opinion.  I can see Gus and Aubbie losing the SECC game one week after getting Johnson hurt, but by Bowl time, there should have been a solid backup to Johnson and there wasn't.  Thats on Gus. 

But, because we have so many folks on here that know football and know it well, who would you believe Auburn could get that has an in place resume anywhere near Gus for the same money.  I don't want your opinion, I'm looking for facts.  So who with facts included?

Waldron_Hog

Quote from: Polecat on January 02, 2018, 02:52:25 pm
Gus on the sidelines often has a look on his face like he's constipated. Between that and constantly rubbing, picking, wiping his nose, I'm pretty sure I'd get sick of watching all that if he were my coach

Don't forget the putzy smacking of his gum.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on January 02, 2018, 03:49:00 pm
The problem Gus had was his best player on offense getting hurt and his OC not being able in any way shape or form to coach around it.  His new OC, whom he swears by, is piss poor, in my opinion.  I can see Gus and Aubbie losing the SECC game one week after getting Johnson hurt, but by Bowl time, there should have been a solid backup to Johnson and there wasn't.  Thats on Gus. 

But, because we have so many folks on here that know football and know it well, who would you believe Auburn could get that has an in place resume anywhere near Gus for the same money.  I don't want your opinion, I'm looking for facts.  So who with facts included?

So, you are upset that Gus didn't get hired at Arkansas?
Go Hogs Go!

Tejano Jawg

I was always 50-50 on Gus, I would believe it when I saw it. BUT...after all the reports of the unofficial courtship on our part, I was mostly amused when Auburn gave him the big extension. Quite a turnaround from the AU higher-ups.

The first thing I thought was how they truly deserved each other. Following AU's Iron Bowl win, we can all smile about ending the season with 2 losses. So I imagine—EXCEPT FOR THE BIG CONTRACT (LOL)—everything is back to normal with Gus and AU. Those guys are the college football equivalent to the relationships of Billy Martin and the NY Yankees, and Liz Taylor and Richard Burton.

Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

latrops

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 02, 2018, 02:51:37 pm
Isn't it all so ironic? Malzahn wanted to leave to "come home" because he felt he was unappreciated at Auburn. Allegedly he even went to the extent of flying the wife to NW Arkansas to engage a Realtor and look for a house, in order to sell his level of seriousness to the Auburn Administration. That was a relatively small investment in selling his intent and she got to visit old friends in the process.

Meanwhile his Agent took certain unofficial Arkansas representatives on a tour of what would be required (financially and control wise) to "bring good ol Gus home". The bait was set and Gus dangled it in front of the Auburn Administration after beating hated rival Alabama, in the Iron Bowl. Had he not beaten Alabama, he and his Agent might have opted to actually come to Arkansas (their fall-back position) for a boat load of cash and more control than he would have had at Auburn. Either way it turned out, Gus couldn't lose.

So he gets his new contract and more power, promptly loses the SECCG and then worse than that, loses to UCF in a bowl game.

The only winners here were Malzahn, Jimmy Sexton and probably, Arkansas. Got to hand it to Sexton though, this is the kinda stuff that he gets paid to produce.

I don't give Sexton that much credit for Gus' big deal.  Gus was as good as fired after the LSU loss.  Had Auburn not beaten Alabama, he likely comes to Arkansas for somewhere around 5 million a year while Auburn makes no effort to keep him.

Beating Alabama changed everything.  Suddenly Gus had unexpected leverage and 2 schools willing to give hum big money.  It would be difficult for an agent to mess that perfect scenario up.

Ex-Trumpet

Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: latrops on January 02, 2018, 04:04:34 pm
I don't give Sexton that much credit for Gus' big deal.  Gus was as good as fired after the LSU loss.  Had Auburn not beaten Alabama, he likely comes to Arkansas for somewhere around 5 million a year while Auburn makes no effort to keep him.

Beating Alabama changed everything.  Suddenly Gus had unexpected leverage and 2 schools willing to give hum big money.  It would be difficult for an agent to mess that perfect scenario up.

Don't kid yourself, Sexton recognized the opportunity that was presented because of the circumstances and leveraged it to its full extent to maximize what Gus (and Sexton) could get out of the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Sexton who suggested that Kristi Malzhan should fly to NW Arkansas and engage a Real Estate Agent to look for homes. Not that they were ever really interested, but she did play her role in it all and it was apparently, pretty effective. JMO
Go Hogs Go!

deedster84

Gus hit the lottery when they beat Georgia, soundly, the first time and then Bama. Their fans were loving Gus. They were going to the playoffs. Great players returning and better recruits coming in. Going to be a dynasty. Signed that long term deal and promptly lost the next 2 games.

Arthur pigby sellers.

I can't laugh to hard knowing my first choice for the job is still coaching in Memphis

BassinHawg

I hope Gus killed any chance of getting the Arkansas job in the future by opting to stay at Auburn. He had his chance and gave Arkansas a Big Middle Finger. May the Gus Bus go off a cliff.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

rzrbk4life

Quote from: BassinHawg on January 02, 2018, 04:35:46 pm
I hope Gus killed any chance of getting the Arkansas job in the future by opting to stay at Auburn. He had his chance and gave Arkansas a Big Middle Finger. May the Gus Bus go off a cliff.

I think there's no way Gus will ever be the coach for the U of A after all that transpired. He sold his soul to AU and will go down with them
Let's call those hogs!!!!

colbs

He's a good coach but IMO not $7M good.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 02, 2018, 03:33:31 pm
Connections don't win sh$t.  CCM best moment of his entire resume is that he helped recruit DeShuan Watson from Gainseville, GA (60 miles away) and coached him for one year.  He better to be able to recruit 5*s because he has never shown an ability to get more out of a player than the recruiting services predicted. 

What about Cortland Sutton?  He was a 3 star wide receiver that some have projected top 5, but definitely a 1st rounder.  Not too bad coming from SMU.
Retired Radio Host

SooieGeneris

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 02, 2018, 03:33:31 pm

3 star Courtland Sutton, future 1st round NFL pick, says "Hey!"
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

sowmonella

Quote from: colbs on January 02, 2018, 04:52:02 pm

If by "good coach" you mean nose pickin hypocrite then I agree.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

kingofdequeen

it really was some wonderful administrative wizardry to bid the auburners into a hillbilly auction that we had no intention of winning.   Will put Aubbie back years.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kingofdequeen on January 02, 2018, 05:08:23 pm
it really was some wonderful administrative wizardry to bid the auburners into a hillbilly auction that we had no intention of winning.   Will put Aubbie back years.

Just keep believing that. It wasn't the intent of those interested in hiring Gus.
Go Hogs Go!

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 02, 2018, 05:25:21 pm
Just keep believing that. It wasn't the intent of those interested in hiring Gus.

Yeah the BOT was willing to mortgage the future of Razorback football to get Gus, who in my opinion is a slightly better than average coach.  They probably still would if given half a chance.

HeyHogs

Laugh it Up Hogville!  Ever heard of the pot calling the kettle black?

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: colbs on January 02, 2018, 04:52:02 pm
I get the market but things are just getting out of hand.  If we were consistently in the playoff maybe I would feel different but in the meantime is anybody $7m good? 

Justagp

Quote from: grayhawg on January 02, 2018, 02:57:51 pm
Me too!

Albert Einswine

Quote from: deedster84 on January 02, 2018, 04:26:21 pm
Gus hit the lottery when they beat Georgia, soundly, the first time and then Bama. Their fans were loving Gus. They were going to the playoffs. Great players returning and better recruits coming in. Going to be a dynasty. Signed that long term deal and promptly lost the next 2 games.

It was a very Houston Nutt season for 'ol Gussy.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Kevin

Just imagine what it will be like to go back to Atlanta first game of next season and lose to Washington
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Kevin on January 02, 2018, 06:05:46 pm
Just imagine what it will be like to go back to Atlanta first game of next season and lose to Washington

Could very well happen.

Dark Helmet Hog

Auburn fans are saying it's the worst 10 win season they have ever seen. LOL

onebadrubi

Quote from: 12247 on January 02, 2018, 03:49:00 pm

Ummm did you watch the game?  You obviously love Gus and are here to protect him because you are wrong so many ways. 

Gus and the OC aren't that great of buddies, I mean after all Gus was not letting him do his job for the first half of the season.  They got better when it was said that Gus was told to let the OC callt he plays.  Gus was pulling a hootie to the OC basically. 

Cam martin was a refreshment to Johnson int he bowl game.  They just tried to be cute, like opening play of the game they took a shot and it failed.  They could not control the line, they played finese football when they should have lined up and tried to tire out the UCF defense.  Heck, it was their game plan and it was public knowledge that gus was cocky and thought he could save his premier back in Johnson for the fourth quarter.  Well little did the idiot know he would be having ot throw it around in the 4th no to lose the game.. ooppps he lost anyways because his all world transfer QB threw a pick six then with 30 seconds left on 1st or second down he threw a can of corn in the end zone that was fielded by the left fielder. 

Cam martin ran it 6 times for 24 yards.  They only ran the ball 30 times out of like 80 plays, I'd bet they wish they would have ran Johnson more often early on and used martin a little more than 1.5 times a quarter. 

racinghog

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on January 02, 2018, 05:01:53 pm
What about Cortland Sutton?  He was a 3 star wide receiver that some have projected top 5, but definitely a 1st rounder.  Not too bad coming from SMU.
So UU are you saying we just hired a guy from a bad program? If he is all that seems there would be more Sutton's there.

247Hog

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 02, 2018, 05:39:28 pm
Yeah the BOT was willing to mortgage the future of Razorback football to get Gus, who in my opinion is a slightly better than average coach.  They probably still would if given half a chance.

It's so crazy to look at everything and realize how much Gus is like HDN. Gus seems to always wanna feel loved, just above average coach, under performs on offense even though it's his background, won't let his offense coordinator run the offense, get in the headlines by having a big win, only to follow up by some poor performance that deflates the fan base. Kinda funny in a way.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on January 02, 2018, 06:22:41 pm
Auburn fans are saying it's the worst 10 win season they have ever seen. LOL

Very much akin to Nutt's 2006 ten win collapse of a season.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker