Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama Fan Friend Tells me Arkansas Will Not...

Started by Hog Waller, March 05, 2018, 12:27:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hog Waller

Beat Alabama (Saban), Auburn (Malzahn), LSU (Orgeron), or A&M (Fisher) with Morris as our HC for the next 5 years because we will not be able to recruit well enough, and that Morris is not or will ever be able to out coach the afore mentioned coaches.

Honestly, I thought my friend was just being cocky after a few bourbons, but he is dead serious.  He's not some blowhard, rather he is well educated and follows college football closely. 

I personally think he is full of crap, that with the right coach we can beat teams/coaches like the ones mentioned regardless of our recruiting rankings...our history has proven this.  What say you?  Have the times changed so much that we will never be able to compete with the top echelon of the SEC West again, or do we really need to consider taking our ball and playing somewhere else?

PORKULATOR

And he remains a friend after said Bourbon caused dickery? Screw that guy.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

RME

I'm gonna let the dude coach a couple games before I start having an existential crisis.

Hog Waller

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 05, 2018, 12:31:20 pm
I'm gonna let the dude coach a couple games before I start having an existential crisis.

My feelings too.  I think Morris has a decent chance to bring a new attitude to this program...something we lost when CBP was fired.  I also think we will see a different type and better conditioned athlete than what we were seeing with CBB.

HiggiePiggy

I'll agree on Alabama, the other schools though I disagree.  Alabama is head and shoulders above the west. No one else in the west is.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HogX

Once he threw Orgeron into that conversation, his credibility went out the window.

elksnort

Hell, this team from 2017 could/should have defeated A&M, but did not because of coaching.

Without even seeing his team on the field, Morris and staff> Bielema and staff.

Hog Waller

Quote from: HogX on March 05, 2018, 12:38:35 pm
Once he threw Orgeron into that conversation, his credibility went out the window.

Yea, I started laughing when he mentioned Ed.  His reasoning there is based purely from a recruiting standpoint, same with Malzahn/Auburn.

AirWarren

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on March 05, 2018, 12:31:20 pm

Haha. You're a hog fan. 24/7 crisis mode.

Nashville Fan

Might have had a legit argument until he threw Coach O out coaching AR. I think LSU is the one that has always been beatable regardless of the coaches. Too many ups and downs with LSU.
Pittman or Bust!

Hog Waller

Quote from: Nashville Fan on March 05, 2018, 12:41:03 pm
Might have had a legit argument until he threw Coach O out coaching AR. I think LSU is the one that has always been beatable regardless of the coaches. Too many ups and downs with LSU.

I believe the same holds true with Auburn.

Sed76

We will see. As terrible as Bielema was he managed to beat Gus once and LSU a couple of times. Should have beat A&M pretty much every year and was a fumble away from beating Bama in 2014. I would have just told that Gump to remember what opinions are like.

BearsBisonsBoars

He may be right about recruiting, at least consistently. There will be years where we're close enough though.

As for coaching, he couldn't be more wrong and I hope you told him so. Saban is the only unquestionably better coach on that list. Gus might be better, but in my opinion, he's more lucky than good. That's why they win the big ones occasionally but can never seal the deal.

The rest of the West is a clown show at this point. Eaux and Jimbo?  Seriously? Get out of here.

Morris is in the top five best coaches in the SEC if his track record is any indication. I personally peg him at fourth - behind Smart and Mullen but ahead of Gus.

GoHogzzGo

Could have said the same with Dan Mullen. He won regardless. Recruiting is important, but coaching is most important, by far.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

wildturkey8

The Bama game in Fayetteville is definitely one to attend. 

Steef

Quote from: Hog Waller on March 05, 2018, 12:27:18 pm
Beat Alabama (Saban), Auburn (Malzahn), LSU (Orgeron), or A&M (Fisher) with Morris as our HC for the next 5 years because we will not be able to recruit well enough, and that Morris is not or will ever be able to out coach the afore mentioned coaches.

Honestly, I thought my friend was just being cocky after a few bourbons, but he is dead serious.  He's not some blowhard, rather he is well educated and follows college football closely. 

I personally think he is full of crap, that with the right coach we can beat teams/coaches like the ones mentioned regardless of our recruiting rankings...our history has proven this.  What say you?  Have the times changed so much that we will never be able to compete with the top echelon of the SEC West again, or do we really need to consider taking our ball and playing somewhere else?

None of those four coaches will still be at those schools in five more years.

Least of all Saban.

We dont know how good/bad Morris is. But three of those coaches are known to be beatable.

So....meh.

Hog Waller

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 05, 2018, 12:47:27 pm
He may be right about recruiting, at least consistently. There will be years where we're close enough though.

Would agree.  We will probably always not be able to out recruit them, but we have always shown to be close enough.

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on March 05, 2018, 12:47:27 pm
Gus might be better, but in my opinion, he's more lucky than good. That's why they win the big ones occasionally but can never seal the deal.

Gus might be better, but he has shown a tendency to outsmart himself and look pretty bad on the field.

FutureMan

"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

imtad16

My thoughts exactly. Putting Orgeron with those guys is hilarious. He is a top assistant and a great players coach that can motivate, but even with top talent he is going to drive LSU into the ground. I just don't think he can handle managing the whole program.

HogFoo

well, as my dad used to say about someone who may be highly educated, they may be smart but they dont have common sense. Here's the deal,  Morris already is bringing in better talent than probably any coach weve had in years. This last recruiting class would have been in top 20 if we had as many schollies to give out as most of the other schools rated ahead of us. We had the highest rated class with 2nd fewest recruits, only Stanford had higher ranking with fewer recruits sign.  Morris is bringing in higher caliber talent on visits as well. And has deep ties to texas , one of the regions bielema never utilized very much at all. 

Im not worried at all about getting recruits here. Im also not worried about coaching either. Morris, as most will find out ,is ever bit as good as Petrino was! Except, major difference, morris isnt a dbag, and actually likes recruiting! Petrino never did!   With that said, the only coach on the list that we'll have battles with and probably not win as much as we lose too, is Saban.  Gus isnt special, we all know that.  Jimbo fisher?  What a joke. Did anyone not see what the former FSU player posted about jimbo and staff?  Saying how he didnt learn a thing or any technique feom them?   So yeah, not worried about him and im especially not worried about the humped over goofball ed ogre at lsu.  How he is a head coach is baffling.  Morris will be 10x ED is as well as the rest other than Saban.

I believe chavis will be out to prove he isnt done yet. They are going to be able to get the players he wants too! Look at what they are hot after right now. Its DBs and DEs.  He wants guys who can go single man cov. So he can bring the heat and collapse the pocket, make the qb run or give to RB in a hurry. Thats his basic design.  Of course then having our LBs finish them once they are flushed.  We are getting great talent at those positions too! They gonna build depth.  Dfense will be good. Mark my words! 

And offense, forgedddabouddditttt!!  We had talent all over the team. Some people think we were devoid of it entirely. That is wrong.  The biggest question will be like always OL. But, they are gonna be in shape finally. Lose that "bulldozer " weight which will make them quicker to be able to step in front of those DEs, or pick up blitzes.  I believe the OL will be very manageable this year. I believe we have great WRs, great RBs and we'll involve our TE again. They kind of got lost last year.  And , luckily we have good QBs. Unlike, some of the schools mentioned, we have QB s stacked up with more coming. Still cant understand how Lsu never has a great QB!  Or bama even. That Hawaii kid looks great tho.  We all know about Gus as well. His entire schheme depends on QB. Thats his downfall!  Thats why i am glad he did what he did. Which, he'll have a good one who knows the system this year, but then back to turdville where they will fire his ass within 3yrs.

So yeah i believe your friend is full of poop!  Morris will be a great coach here, while getting better and better talent. It would not surprise me if he puts together. A top 15-20 recruiting class this season! Especially if we can get to 8wins+ 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

jgphillips3

How does he know what our recruiting will be?  Wish he could show me those future classes so I would know not to pay attention.  Also, I guess he didn't notice Petrino going toe to toe with pretty much everybody with the same level of recruiting we currently have.  His take is reasonable, and he might be right, but to say anything with certainty now is just pure foolishness.  Almost sounds like he's afraid we will get there.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 05, 2018, 01:00:08 pm
How does he know what our recruiting will be?  Wish he could show me those future classes so I would know not to pay attention.  Also, I guess he didn't notice Petrino going toe to toe with pretty much everybody with the same level of recruiting we currently have.  His take is reasonable, and he might be right, but to say anything with certainty now is just pure foolishness.  Almost sounds like he's afraid we will get there.

Snapping to keep the elepahants Razorbacks away.

Al Boarland

I think we have a punchers chance to win any game, but I would not pick us to win over any team that recruits better than we do.  Talent wins 9 times out of 10 and it's not like we have some kind of savant coach that is head and shoulders over anyone else sans Ogre.

Al Boarland

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 05, 2018, 01:00:08 pm

Recruiting is a different monster since Petrino was walking the sidelines.  The SEC was landing damn near everyone on the ESPN 300 for a period of time.  That is starting to shift, but there are still programs that we have to play that are more stockpiled with talent than in the Petrino era.

phadedhawg

Your "friend" is probably just jealous that even after another national championship, nobody wants to hear about Alabama.  Instead conference media is more interested in the new faces and new places.  Saban is old news, Alabama being the favorite, old news.  Nobody gets excited about old news. 

That's why your buddy is salty.  It has nothing to do with us or Coach Morris.  It's just no one cares what's happening in Alabama and Bama fans think they are the center of the college football world.

swinemaster

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 05, 2018, 01:04:45 pm
I think we have a punchers chance to win any game, but I would not pick us to win over any team that recruits better than we do.  Talent wins 9 times out of 10 and it's not like we have some kind of savant coach that is head and shoulders over anyone else sans Ogre.

We will never have an overall talent advantage over those teams.  But in some years we will be more talented at the right positions to beat them.  See Petrino years. 

Screw Bama know-it-alls.  Just because their team is good doesn't mean they are more knowledgeable fans.

1highhog

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on March 05, 2018, 12:37:44 pm
I'll agree on Alabama, the other schools though I disagree.  Alabama is head and shoulders above the west. No one else in the west is.

I disagree with this, but I'll have to wait on judging Morris until I see his coaching ability.  With Bielema as coach we came very close to beating Alabama, so I see no reason why Morris couldn't beat any of the teams the OP mentioned plus Bama as well.

Al Boarland

Quote from: HogFoo on March 05, 2018, 12:59:37 pm
well, as my dad used to say about someone who may be highly educated, they may be smart but they dont have common sense. Here's the deal,  Morris already is bringing in better talent than probably any coach weve had in years. This last recruiting class would have been in top 20 if we had as many schollies to give out as most of the other schools rated ahead of us. We had the highest rated class with 2nd fewest recruits, only Stanford had higher ranking with fewer recruits sign. 

This statement assumes everyone else he would have signed would have been highly rated with no fillers.

Al Boarland

Quote from: swinemaster on March 05, 2018, 01:21:48 pm
We will never have an overall talent advantage over those teams.  But in some years we will be more talented at the right positions to beat them.  See Petrino years. 

Screw Bama know-it-alls.  Just because their team is good doesn't mean they are more knowledgeable fans.

You could be right.  I just base my pre-season W/L records based on talent and have been pretty accurate.

tbhogfan

Anyone who thinks that Ed Ogeron is going to outcoach any D1 football coach is simply living in a fantasy world. 

Dude's a great recruiter who is two games below .500 as a HC. 
Go Hogs!

sowmonella

Ask your friend if he would be willing to put his money where his mouth is?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

farmhawg

He scare.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Piggfoot

There is a lot of truth in what your friend is saying but not because of coaching excepting Saban. The schools he mentioned have without a doubt a recruiting advantage. It remains to be seen how Morris will compare.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Buff

Was he able to say all of that with his sister's tongue in his mouth, or did he pass her off to a cousin for 30 minutes?

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Torqued pork

Why would anyone be friends with a Bama fan? They're to be loathed.

HogFoo

Quote from: Al Boarland on March 05, 2018, 01:33:10 pm
This statement assumes everyone else he would have signed would have been highly rated with no fillers.
well as trey biddy said, and i agree with, if we'd just hit our average with players we had and filles the class, we would have had a top 20 class. It does not mean if we got the top rated players, just avg.of the players we were getting. So, could  Morris have did that? Yes. There were lots of high rates players that wanted to be hogs and we disnt have schollies for. So yeah,  Morris could have dis it. And it would have been the highest rated class since Nuttsack had that 16th/17th rates class back in what 03? 

Like i also mentioned, i wont be surprised if Morris has a top15 class this season either! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Inhogswetrust

What do you mean he isn't a blowhard? He's a Bama fan thus he is by definition a blowhard.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RME

Everyone in this thread who is annoyed --- remember this next time y'all see those fans of ours that pull for the "S-E-C!"

parallaxpig

Since he can see into the future, who's he got winning the Arkansas Derby? Now that would be useful information.........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Pudgepork

Every team has trubble with bama. The others, not so much.   I think worry is creeping in

steveaustin69

Quote from: Pudgepork on March 05, 2018, 02:47:31 pm
Every team has trubble with bama. The others, not so much.   I think worry is creeping in

They've got what?

cram224

We could be one special player away from beating anybody, needs to be a QB. I look at Va Tech, they wasn't much until M Vick showed up. Led the team to NC game. They have been above average since. Ga hadn't won anything until H Walker showed up. I've always thought the years we had Dmac we should have been better. Nutt just never really knew what kind of talent he had. Never expanded the passing game which would have helped. We just had the worst QB for throwing play action over the top of the defense.

redhogchilipepper

Never say never. Ole Miss mustered up a good enough Offense to beat them. State did as well. I think Morris is at least as good as the escort loving coach Ole Miss had.
:puke:

Pudgepork

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 05, 2018, 02:48:23 pm
They've got what?

Trubble.   Say it as you read it.  It will come to you.  Literally, as it does all of us

HawgTide

Nailed it. Maybe his friend can't handle his liquor

steveaustin69

Quote from: cram224 on March 05, 2018, 02:48:40 pm
We could be one special player away from beating anybody, needs to be a QB. I look at Va Tech, they wasn't much until M Vick showed up. Led the team to NC game. They have been above average since. Ga hadn't won anything until H Walker showed up. I've always thought the years we had Dmac we should have been better. Nutt just never really knew what kind of talent he had. Never expanded the passing game which would have helped. We just had the worst QB for throwing play action over the top of the defense.

You mean the VT that went 37-11 the four seasons prior to Vick?

LRhawg926

my thoughts exactly...

Nashville Fan

Quote from: Hog Waller on March 05, 2018, 12:42:32 pm
I believe the same holds true with Auburn.
and A&M for that matter. It is very likely that they have only been relevant because Texas has been irrelevant. A winning coach at Texas could upset the balance of power in Texas. aTm would have an expensive coach with a little lesser talent. Guess what I am saying is that SEC does not solve the aggie problem. People would rather go to Austin instead.
Pittman or Bust!

Busta_Nutt

Quote from: cram224 on March 05, 2018, 02:48:40 pm

Va Tech had decent success prior to Vick. They finished in the Top 25 in 5 of 6 years before he took over (1999).