Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Le Batard Dismayed With Calipari On ESPN

Started by chiefhawg, June 23, 2016, 10:52:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

John will spend all day promoting the UK program and ESPN somehow see's that as unbiased:

8:00 – 10:00 a.m. – Co-host Mike & Mike (with Towns)
10:00 – 11:10 a.m. – First Take
11:30 a.m. – SportsCenter
12:00 p.m. – Russillo and Kanell
12:30 p.m. – His & Hers
1:00 p.m. – SportsCenter
1:15 p.m. – Highly Questionable
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Jackrabbit Hog

I love LeBatard.  His radio show is the best thing espn radio has going.  It's funny and yes, he's extremely opinionated but not in the way someone like Bayless or Stephen A. is.  His opinions seem to actually follow common sense and they aren't designed to evoke strong responses just to get viewers.  I can see how people wouldn't like him, but I think he's smart and entertaining.

And yes, he's right on about this. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

onebadrubi

He's not wrong at all and says it best, it's not Calipari becasue Cal would be dumb not to take advantage of it.  It's ESPN being in on the deal. 

husker71

On The Young and the Restless today he cameos as a surgeon who comes in and saves a young childs life at the last moment.  Later in the day I understand he will be the center square.

scorekeeper

So is he not going to the draft tonight? Or does he only go if one of his guys are top 5?
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: scorekeeper on June 23, 2016, 04:45:51 pm
So is he not going to the draft tonight? Or does he only go if one of his guys are top 5?

He needs to go, if for no other reason than to tout his amazing development of Skal Labissiere from a potential overall no. 1 pick to someone who may fall into the second round.
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 23, 2016, 05:37:57 pm
....wondering how many people will get that reference.....

The ghost of Paul Lynde did.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: scorekeeper on June 23, 2016, 04:45:51 pm

He's there.  They just showed his grinning slimy snake oil selling arse when Murray got picked. 

Wahls

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 12:17:03 pmHis opinions seem to actually follow common sense and they aren't designed to evoke strong responses just to get viewers.

Stop.

I quit watching LeBatard after he brought Chael Sonnen (UFC) on his show and asked Chael if he was "race baiter" because Chael said Brazillians play with mud. Yeah, Brazil = a race.

Chael made him look really dumb.

LeBatard has this constant need and insecurity to make connections to racial arguments that simply don't exist. I don't give my viewership to people like him and Bomani Jones that feel the need to light a fire and fan the flames.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

RealHog

Say what you want about Calipari, but he is college basketball's Donald Trump: a Master self promoter and can form and represent a brand at an unsurpassed level. Whether you agree with him or not, it's a sight to behold.

MountieDawg

He earns every dollar he makes... Not another coach out there that promotes his program like Cal does.
SEC!

The_Bionic_Pig

At the moment Vanderbilt & LSU have just as many NBA draft picks...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: RealHog on June 23, 2016, 08:33:44 pm
Say what you want about Calipari, but he is college basketball's Donald Trump: a Master self promoter and can form and represent a brand at an unsurpassed level. Whether you agree with him or not, it's a sight to behold.

Oh, don't worry, I will.

Scum bucket...

poloprince

Just heard first take and almost puked at some of the garbage Cal was spewing.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: MountieDawg on June 23, 2016, 08:41:56 pm
He earns every dollar he makes... Not another coach out there that promotes his program himself like Cal does.

Fixt it fer ya.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wahls on June 23, 2016, 08:18:39 pm
Stop.

I quit watching LeBatard after he brought Chael Sonnen (UFC) on his show and asked Chael if he was "race baiter" because Chael said Brazillians play with mud. Yeah, Brazil = a race.

Chael made him look really dumb.

LeBatard has this constant need and insecurity to make connections to racial arguments that simply don't exist. I don't give my viewership to people like him and Bomani Jones that feel the need to light a fire and fan the flames.

I guess I missed the interview to which you refer, probably because I change stations whenever that pseudo sport is the topic.  Anyway, for the most part I find LeBatard's show amusing and entertaining.  The Jones guy you mention, not so much.

To each his own.

Wahls

June 23, 2016, 10:37:35 pm #17 Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:01:09 pm by Wahls
Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 09:06:26 pm
I guess I missed the interview to which you refer, probably because I change stations whenever that pseudo sport is the topic.  Anyway, for the most part I find LeBatard's show amusing and entertaining.  The Jones guy you mention, not so much.

To each his own.

MMA isn't a pseudo sport. It's the fastest growing sport on planet Earth. The UFC alone recieved two bids in the last week to purchase it for 4 billion, with a B, dollars.

But I can also see why you like Le Batard. He is a pseudo journalist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8GocthQZ9g

Mentioned at the middle and end, but watch the entire thing. Not only is it completely moronic point for all the reasons that Chael stated, the idea that Chael singles out black fighters is ridiculous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG5yVTGnP84

Please note, the Noguiera brothers are not black. This is something he does to everyone.

LeBatard manufactures race problems because it gets viewers. Just like CNN. Just like Fox. Just like everyone else. And to say he doesn't is ignorant. He's said numerous times that he wants a show on ESPN that doesn't have anything to do with sports. He is ESPN TMZ.

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 23, 2016, 08:55:29 pm
Speaking of Jones, I've listened to him a bit during my drive home and I have yet to understand why ESPN would put him in the 3 - 6 time slot.  Or any time slot for that matter.

It's completely baffling.
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

root_hawg

I have switched to reading Fox sports on the phone plus just can't stand the personalities on espn anymore

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Wahls on June 23, 2016, 10:37:35 pm
MMA isn't a pseudo sport. It's the fastest growing sport on planet Earth. The UFC alone recieved two bids in the last week to purchase it for 4 billion, with a B, dollars.

But I can also see why you like Le Batard. He is a pseudo journalist.

There is no journalism on ESPN.

Mentioned at the middle and end, but watch the entire thing. Not only is it completely moronic point for all the reasons that Chael stated, the idea that Chael singles out black fighters is ridiculous.

I did. That Chael guy is hilarious! Also, Dead Spin was the one that made the accusation, Le Batard (Le Bastard?) was just asking Chael about it. I thought the whole thing was funny as hell. Chael seemed to definitely be the smartest guy in the room right there.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Wahls

Quote from: FineAsSwine on June 24, 2016, 10:35:45 am
Also, Dead Spin was the one that made the accusation, Le Batard (Le Bastard?) was just asking Chael about it.

Yes, and LeBatard ended the interview saying that, "...you tend to go after the black guys with more verocity" which is basically LeBatard adding on and giving the original point validity.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Wahls on June 24, 2016, 01:17:20 pm
Yes, and LeBatard ended the interview saying that, "...you tend to go after the black guys with more verocity" which is basically LeBatard adding on and giving the original point validity.

The whole interview just had a humorous undertone. I'm not sure LeBat was being serious.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Wahls

Quote from: FineAsSwine on June 24, 2016, 03:20:54 pm
The whole interview just had a humorous undertone. I'm not sure LeBat was being serious.

That's every Chael interview. Look him up.

rickfahr

Bomani is the most intelligent and sharp-witted sports talker in the country. Bar none. If you don't think so, you might want to ask yourself if it's because of the color of his skin. I say this as a white redneck from the Arkansas Delta.

Wahls

Quote from: rickfahr on June 26, 2016, 04:44:48 pm
Bomani is the most intelligent and sharp-witted sports talker in the country. Bar none. If you don't think so, you might want to ask yourself if it's because of the color of his skin.

Oh please.

What about his ongoing fight regarding Native American team names? Like the above photo where he tried to claim that if it offended white people, it must offend Natives? Except it doesn't.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

He's not fact driven. He's drivel driven. And it has nothing to do with the color of his skin, unless you want to also claim I'm racist against latinos like Dan LeBatard, which would then make me racist against my wife. That would be awkward if it were true.

rzrbackramsfan

The Cleveland Indians logo is really bad I must admit.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 26, 2016, 10:37:06 pm
The Cleveland Indians logo is really bad I must admit.

As far as racist goes.

Jackrabbit Hog

I'll bet you like soccer, lacrosse and WNBA too.

onebadrubi

Bomani is the most intelligent and sharp-witted sports talker in the country. Bar none. If you don't think so, you might want to ask yourself if it's because of the color of his skin. I say this as a white redneck from the Arkansas Delta.

Cant be serious.  To be so absolute, then if anyone disagrees they are racist is just well, democrat like actually (for lack of better words). 

Wahls

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 26, 2016, 11:41:10 pm
I'll bet you like soccer, lacrosse and WNBA too.

Aww. Poor baby. Do you feel better, now?

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wahls on June 27, 2016, 12:26:59 pm
Aww. Poor baby. Do you feel better, now?

Naw.  Didn't feel bad to begin with.  Hey, that mixed martial arts stuff just isn't my cup of tea.  Seems like it has a little too much WWE flavor to it.  But I can see how it draws folks in. 

I'm an old fart.  I'll stick with my old fart sports.

Wahls

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 12:44:59 pmSeems like it has a little too much WWE flavor to it.

Explain, because I can't stand the WWE. (I'm genuinely curious)

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wahls on June 27, 2016, 12:45:55 pm
Explain, because I can't stand the WWE. (I'm genuinely curious)

Some of the personalities; that Dana White fellow who seems like a Vince McMahon knock off to me; the back-and-forth some of the "stars" have done between MMA and pro wrestling (Lesner, etc.).  Quite a bit of cross-pollinization between the two.

I loved boxing back when it was relevant.  I managed to derail a thread recently by waxing poetic about the Marvin Hagler v. Thomas Hearns fight back in the '80s.  Admittedly, boxing is so far from a top ten fan sport now that it's sad.  I just see MMA as a poor substitute for it.

Hope that helps.

Wahls

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 01:08:13 pm
Some of the personalities; that Dana White fellow who seems like a Vince McMahon knock off to me; the back-and-forth some of the "stars" have done between MMA and pro wrestling (Lesner, etc.).  Quite a bit of cross-pollinization between the two.

I get that. When this new buyer takes over the UFC Dana's days will be numbered. The way he deals with problems is not how a CEO of a major organization should handle it and has perception issues. With the way you phrased that, I have no issue with your stance because that is a real problem.

That said, Lesnar was one of the best college wrestlers of all time and is a legitimate mixed martial artist, meanwhile CM Punk has no background and has no business in the UFC. Those are the two cross over guys from WWE and they are worlds apart in skill. There are a few cross over guys from the NFL, college football, a few boxers, lots of world champion grapplers.

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 27, 2016, 01:08:13 pm
I loved boxing back when it was relevant.  I managed to derail a thread recently by waxing poetic about the Marvin Hagler v. Thomas Hearns fight back in the '80s.  Admittedly, boxing is so far from a top ten fan sport now that it's sad.  I just see MMA as a poor substitute for it.

Hope that helps.

If you're a fan of high level boxing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vaycom-olQ

Save it, bookmark it, lock it away, save it for a rainy day. These are two very high level, extremely technical guys with next level footwork. Dominick Cruz is a magician that almost never gets hit. That may be more up your alley.

Wahls

Hagler vs. Hearns is a great fight that has been inflated and overrated through the lens of nostalgia.

Leonard v Duran would be one I'd take over Hagler v Hearns.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wahls on June 27, 2016, 01:56:48 pm
Hagler vs. Hearns is a great fight that has been inflated and overrated through the lens of nostalgia.

Leonard v Duran would be one I'd take over Hagler v Hearns.

Leonard v Duran I or II?  The Duran win or the "no mas" fight?

One thing that made Leonard v Duran great was the contrast in styles.  The tactician vs. the brawler.

But what made Hagler v Hearns even greater was that both were vicious punchers and both came out with one thing in mind - be the aggressor and keep the other guy on his heels.  I disagree that it's overrated.  On the contrary, I think it's often overlooked because the glamour boy of the era, Leonard, got most of the spotlight during that time.

Wahls

I.

Here's one thing I will say - I am not old enough to see it live. I don't have all the emotion of the build up or storyline or the suspense of what would happen. I can only view it from what's directly in front of me.

So I will have a different opinion than most that were able to see a lot of these live.

Disclaimer: I am also a bit of a Duran fanboy.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Wahls on June 27, 2016, 02:11:54 pm
Disclaimer: I am also a bit of a Duran fanboy.

Bonus points for your honesty, Wahls.   So was I back in the day.

That was a once-in-a-lifetime era for boxing, especially in the lower weight classes.  At any given moment Leonard, Hagler, Hearns or Duran could have claimed the "best pound for pound boxer in the world" title and the greatest thing was that they all fought each other.  Then you throw in even lighter guys like Alexis Arguello, and it was just a fun time to be a boxing fan. 

I saw the first Leonard v Hearns fight on closed circuit at Slick Willy's in Little Rock.  You couldn't have stirred the people with a stick it was so crowded.  Hearns got robbed in that one.

And I've now successfully derailed another thread.

Wahls

Why can't we have a board for MMA and Boxing here? Seems ridiculous to have a WWE board and not have an MMA/Boxing board.

clutch

Quote from: Wahls on June 27, 2016, 08:20:59 pm
Why can't we have a board for MMA and Boxing here? Seems ridiculous to have a WWE board and not have an MMA/Boxing board.

It seems ridiculous that there are any grown men watching WWE period.

Wahls

hobhog

I listened to his show one day on a long interstate road trip. I thought I liked the guy but his take on college football is sickening. He thinks it's all about kids playing football and that education portion of it is a joke and waste of time. He was highly offensive to me and extremely jaded and uneducated in his views of 95% of college athletes. I guess he hangs around the "U" too much.

Wahls

Quote from: hobhog on June 28, 2016, 02:20:32 pm
I listened to his show one day on a long interstate road trip. I thought I liked the guy but his take on college football is sickening. He thinks it's all about kids playing football and that education portion of it is a joke and waste of time. He was highly offensive to me and extremely jaded and uneducated in his views of 95% of college athletes. I guess he hangs around the "U" too much.

There was a guy on Reddit that was a tutor at the University of Georgia that said he tutored two football players over a 4 year span that simply couldn't read. He didn't ask about how they got their ACT score because he didn't want to know. They both went on to play in the NFL.

When I hear stuff like that, it certainly gives credence to the idea that they're being used and that their college education was a waste of time. Sad deal. That issue isn't as black and what as it seems.

But Bomani is still a dunce.

hobhog

Quote from: Wahls on June 28, 2016, 02:24:23 pm
There was a guy on Reddit that was a tutor at the University of Georgia that said he tutored two football players over a 4 year span that simply couldn't read. He didn't ask about how they got their ACT score because he didn't want to know. They both went on to play in the NFL.

When I hear stuff like that, it certainly gives credence to the idea that they're being used and that their college education was a waste of time. Sad deal. That issue isn't as black and what as it seems.

But Bomani is still a dunce.

My wife tutored Eric Dickerson at SMU and he was a dunce. He was obviously there just for football. That doesn't mean that's the case for the other thousands of players that will never go pro.

They are not being used. They are taking advantage of a scholarship to get an education, with some ignoring the opportunity.

Wahls

Quote from: hobhog on June 28, 2016, 07:24:10 pmThey are not being used. They are taking advantage of a scholarship to get an education, with some ignoring the opportunity.

If you are accepted to a major university and cannot read, you are being used. Period. You cannot possibly take advantage of higher education if you can't read and that university is obviously bending standards to get you there anyway.

hobhog

Quote from: Wahls on June 28, 2016, 07:26:25 pm
If you are accepted to a major university and cannot read, you are being used. Period. You cannot possibly take advantage of higher education if you can't read and that university is obviously bending standards to get you there anyway.

Agreed. But what percentage are you talking about? 1-2%? Does the kid stand a chance if he stays home and works at the local McDonalds? He's getting an opportunity.

Not fair to throw every student athlete in the "can't read and is being used " box when it's the exception and not the rule.

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on June 23, 2016, 12:17:03 pm
I love LeBatard.  His radio show is the best thing espn radio has going.  It's funny and yes, he's extremely opinionated but not in the way someone like Bayless or Stephen A. is.  His opinions seem to actually follow common sense and they aren't designed to evoke strong responses just to get viewers.  I can see how people wouldn't like him, but I think he's smart and entertaining.

And yes, he's right on about this.

First and probably last thing we will ever agree upon.