Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I am not trying to be an alarmist, but . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, July 22, 2015, 04:51:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

. . . this is the kind of thing that could be a death sentence to Mike Anderson's regime.  And I like Mike - really have wanted for him to succeed for many reasons, not the least of which is that I think he's a nice guy trying to do it the right way.  I don't think you'll find one post I've made criticizing Mike on this site - because I've been on his side all the way.  And I still like him.

But the timing couldn't be worse for him.  After slowly bringing along our program, with progress every year, the fan base has (for the most part) been patient as he finally got us back to what most of us consider the minimum standards for Arkansas Basketball.  Then . . . you lose a first-round talent that had given the message for the last year that he planned to stay, and his "Robin" who also left (not that I begrudge them that opportunity) . . . and then, lose your one big man recruit . . . and then lose 3 other players to a serious charge - including one of the 2 or 3 best returning players.  Well - it's a disaster, by any standard.

It feels quite a bit like the day Petrino fell off of his motorcycle.  Dramatically different situation in the particulars and what it says about the respective coaches.  But, in it's impact on the program, very similar, I'm afraid.

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

jjdlc

No, it isn't a death sentence, but how he handles the situation, and the recovery will tell us a lot.  The fan base isn't going to be ok with another 4 year rebuild.

WizardofhOgZ

Breems,

I said "for the most part".  Quoting one poster does not make that incorrect.

And, I'm aware that there are several who have been unhappy with the speed of our "recovery" under Mike.  Most of them post right here.  But I'd wager that 80% (give or take) of our fans are OK with what he has done the past 4 years.  Not all of them are "enthusiastically behind him all the way".  But between that and "think he's doing a pretty good job" and "generally think he's done OK", probably something in that neighborhood.

Conversely, my gut is that they "think he's generally done a bad job and needs to improve this year of should be gone" and "needs to go now" (before today's news), I'd say that group is maybe 10-20%.

Hence, "most of our fans".

hoglady

Anderson and the program desperately need 2016 to be a huge recruiting class.
The arrest of these 3 makes that recruiting 1000x harder.
MA essentially just lost his biggest positive to recruits and parents (to me anyway) - that he has a good program with players that go to class and stay out of trouble. Right or wrong that persona just took a huge hit today.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

NLRHog92

Any chance we had at having another season to build on quickly got flushed down the toilet. Love Mike, but this is going to be too hard to recover from. He was already in a hole by BP and MQ leaving since it didn't appear he was ready for them to with no backup plan that was successful. Then one guy who you did get and have in mind to help spread production doesn't pan out (should have been looked into better.) FELONY charges for 3 guys, who ruined their foreseeable lives even more so than this season. I know DT wasn't going to play this year, but AB was a starter, and JW a likely one too and a Sr. Lost over a fifth of the team in 1 day. ONE DAY! Oh yea, you also lost 5 players in the offseason, and had a scholarship open that went unfilled. Majority of system is designed on fast play and having capable bodies with fresh legs to rotate accordingly. As it stands right now, we have 9 guys.

1. Trey Thompson. Didn't play extensive minutes in any game.
2. Dusty Hannahs. First year to suit up for the Hogs.
3. Jabril Durham. Inconsistent and now thrust into starting PG role.
4. Anthon Bell. Very sporadic shooter, but at least have gotten better as a defender.
5. Manuale Watkins. Former walk-on, limited offensive game. Will be counted on to play a lot of minutes.
6. Moses Kingsley. Taken tiny steps forward every year, now has to make a LEAP and live up to his ranking.
7. Keaton Miles. Hurt majority of last year, many don't expect him to put it together and contribute much again, but going to need him to.
8. Jimmy Whitt. Might be a starter first game, incredible talent, but a lot more pressure on him now. First year in the program.
9. Willy Kouassi. Sr Grad transfer, first year with program. Not much offensive game, but will now likely log more minutes, even if he is to be a defensive stopper.

Not even sure we can run what CMA traditionally and wants to run. May be playing a LOT more zone. And highly, highly unlikely we can land Monk now. Sad, sad day...

Smithian

Quote from: NLRHog92 on July 22, 2015, 05:43:19 pm
Any chance we had at having another season to build on quickly got flushed down the toilet. Love Mike, but this is going to be too hard to recover from. He was already in a hole by BP and MQ leaving since it didn't appear he was ready for them to with no backup plan that was successful. Then one guy who you did get and have in mind to help spread production doesn't pan out (should have been looked into better.) FELONY charges for 3 guys, who ruined their foreseeable lives even more so than this season. I know DT wasn't going to play this year, but AB was a starter, and JW a likely one too and a Sr. Lost over a fifth of the team in 1 day. ONE DAY! Oh yea, you also lost 5 players in the offseason, and had a scholarship open that went unfilled. Majority of system is designed on fast play and having capable bodies with fresh legs to rotate accordingly. As it stands right now, we have 9 guys.

1. Trey Thompson. Didn't play extensive minutes in any game.
2. Dusty Hannahs. First year to suit up for the Hogs.
3. Jabril Durham. Inconsistent and now thrust into starting PG role.
4. Anthon Bell. Very sporadic shooter, but at least have gotten better as a defender.
5. Manuale Watkins. Former walk-on, limited offensive game. Will be counted on to play a lot of minutes.
6. Moses Kingsley. Taken tiny steps forward every year, now has to make a LEAP and live up to his ranking.
7. Keaton Miles. Hurt majority of last year, many don't expect him to put it together and contribute much again, but going to need him to.
8. Jimmy Whitt. Might be a starter first game, incredible talent, but a lot more pressure on him now. First year in the program.
9. Willy Kouassi. Sr Grad transfer, first year with program. Not much offensive game, but will now likely log more minutes, even if he is to be a defensive stopper.

Not even sure we can run what CMA traditionally and wants to run. May be playing a LOT more zone. And highly, highly unlikely we can land Monk now. Sad, sad day...
Well that is depressing.

rzrbackrob

Big Mike Anderson fan
Most likely in minority, but I'm ok with a couple of year rebuild from here.

Today has been brutal day for Hogball.
Good is the enemy of great

TNhawgfan

I'm not on board with a three plus year rebuild. You get paid millions for a reason
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

CallThemHawgs!

Quote from: rzrbackrob on July 22, 2015, 05:48:26 pm
Big Mike Anderson fan

Couple year rebuild from here? I mean, whatever... not like we can fire him and find someone better.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TNhawgfan on July 22, 2015, 05:51:28 pm
I'm not on board with a three plus year rebuild. You get paid millions for a reason

Agreed. If this season tanks, and the 2016 class is pitiful, you have to fire him. You can sell the new coach on a complete rebuild with a 2 year pass. We tried it with Mike once, he shouldnt get a second chance.

DownTownHawg

Quote from: rzrbackrob on July 22, 2015, 05:48:26 pm
Big Mike Anderson fan

I'll support him for however long it takes . Like you said though , Rough Day

Woo Pig

Danny J

Quote from: hoglady on July 22, 2015, 05:09:03 pm
Anderson and the program desperately need 2016 to be a huge recruiting class.
The arrest of these 3 makes that recruiting 1000x harder.
MA essentially just lost his biggest positive to recruits and parents (to me anyway) - that he has a good program with players that go to class and stay out of trouble. Right or wrong that persona just took a huge hit today.
Exactly right....better get rid of some dead weight on the staff and replace it with a guy who can work the summer league/AAU circuit and has established connections. Fan base is NOT going to wait 3-4 more years to make it back to the NCAAt and I don't care who disagrees with that statement. That is reality. Better go get a recruiter in a hurry.

Mick Hogger

Mike isn't going anywhere unless he was printing the money. Nolan survived a 4 man rape accusation and the program kept moving forward after. 3 years later we had a Nat'l Championship.

Recruit, recruit, recruit.
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

jjdlc

Quote from: Danny J on July 22, 2015, 06:11:18 pm
Fan base is NOT going to wait 3-4 more years to make it back to the NCAAt and I don't care who disagrees with that statement. That is reality. Better go get a recruiter in a hurry.

You are absolutely right about that.  But that isn't guaranteed to happen.  How CMA handles this situation and next season will make or break him.

Danny J

Quote from: jjdlc on July 22, 2015, 06:19:20 pm
You are absolutely right about that.  But that isn't guaranteed to happen.  How CMA handles this situation and next season will make or break him.
Very true....I think the fan base was going to give him a throw away year this year and was waiting on a big recruiting class for 2016 but we really need to wait and see how the arrests play out mainly with Beard. He and Whitt are the two players you just can't afford to lose.

mhuff

Quote from: Mick Hogger on July 22, 2015, 06:12:22 pm
Mike isn't going anywhere unless he was printing the money. Nolan survived a 4 man rape accusation and the program kept moving forward after. 3 years later we had a Nat'l Championship.

Recruit, recruit, recruit.

My criticism of MA has been on coaching decisions and recruiting. I do no hold this setback against MA. I consider it an aberration. I have even said that I don't care so much for the results of this next season as I DO the recruiting results of next year. I know parents aren't going to be happy with this; however, it may open up some spots for immediate playing time.

I made mistakes when I was young. Nothing of this magnitude, but each person has to be accountable for his or her actions. Innocent until proven guilty.

Hogusta National

I'm also in the not waiting 2-3 years to 'rebuild' or even get back to the tourney.  I initially wasn't on the 'hire' MA bandwagon like a lot of people were, but once that decision was made, I was fine with it.  I just haven't been satisfied with what I've seen on the court.  I've had season tics since MA was hired, but gave them up this season.  Boy am I glad I did.  Not that I won't go to a few games this year (of course maybe not now), but I didn't see the return on my investment so to speak.

Now this day happens.  The criminal charges will take care of themselves, but like a lot of the above comments, I have been sorely disappointed in MA's apparent lack of an even decent plan in the wake of losing BP and MQ - there seemed to be no plan at all even though 'We're always recruiting!'.  I also have a problem with the two lower assistant coaches.  I'm not sure what either of those guys do to tell you the truth or what they even bring to the table.  TJ was mentioned at one time as being a decent recruiter, but who has he brought in.  All I see is the coaches nephew and that's it.  And Zimmerman appears to be nothing more than the staffs designated twitter/social media guy.  I just don't see what they bring to the table.

I know it sounds like I'm piling on, but I'm just unloading my thoughts on the whole bball situation.  Right now, I'm just happy I didn't buy tics.  Will free me up to go watch Coach Dykes as he continues to build a program essentially from scratch.  Thanks for reading (listening).  Just had to get it off of my chest.

Steef

quote author=Tim link=topic=595189.msg9786465#msg9786465 date=1437598194]
Well with what has transpired in the last 30 minutes, is it okay to complain?
[/quote]

Quote from: Tom Bennett on July 22, 2015, 03:53:32 pm
About the situation? Yes. About Mike? No.

sickboy

All I know is that our program is ten million times better off than when Anderson walked in the door. Add to that that -- we just had the best season we've had in years.

Until we start taking a step back on the court, then I'll remain supportive. I'm not going to join any bandwagon one way or the other in the middle of the summer.

jaredkr

Mike has never been the long term answer to the program. His inability to adjust his coaching style and inability to recruit well doesn't equate to long term success. He was a doing a decent job and a great job as far as PR. I hate to say it because he is as classy as they come, but he isn't better X and O coaching than HDN...but HDN could recruit better
I am Ray Finkel

hoghappy

Ok, I'm in the minority I guess, but if Mike is the man of integrity I think he is, he will not hesitate to dismiss this trio if he knows them to be guilty. I would rather have a clean reputation than a great team. I will give him more time. I would not consider that throwing kids under the bus.

moses_007

Mike needs Bielema and Pittman to handle basketball recruiting for him.  He'd better get off his duff and sign three more players right now.

These three that got in trouble are history.

aloha_kid

Quote from: jjdlc on July 22, 2015, 05:00:55 pm
No, it isn't a death sentence, but how he handles the situation, and the recovery will tell us a lot.  The fan base isn't going to be ok with another 4 year rebuild.

It will be four years anyway ... minimum.

jjdlc

Quote from: aloha_kid on July 22, 2015, 07:52:08 pm
It will be four years anyway ... minimum.

You don't know that.  There is no guarantee that this next season is going to be the unmitigated disaster that many here seem to believe.  CMA has more talent left to work with than his first season here, and probably the second.  The 2016 recruiting class is also very fertile.  My point is, the opportunity is there for CMA to get this back on track quickly, it just remains to be seen if he can do it.  It is a mighty big IF. 

WarPig88

The difference between where we are today and where we were when MA got here isn't talent alone.

The biggest part of the rebuilding process was having to work with a group of kids who were not recruited or previously trained to be mentally or physically tough.

The kids we have on the team today fit that mold so there won't be any waste of time trying to get guys to fit into something weren't made for.

The guys that here now are capable of providing leadership to younger/newer guys in the program instead of relying on the younger/newer guys to learn what it takes to win all the close games we did this past season as they go.

There most likely will be a lag with the hits we took today, but it won't be a long lived one.

BigSexyHog

There is no 1,2 or 3 year pass.  Sorry for those that keep wanting to wait.  If we are/were back after so many of ya'll proclaimed we are then we don't need a rebuilding year.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

WarPig88

Quote from: BigSexyHog on July 22, 2015, 08:39:29 pm
There is no 1,2 or 3 year pass.  Sorry for those that keep wanting to wait.  If we are/were back after so many of ya'll proclaimed we are then we don't need a rebuilding year.

Were you in a coma this past season?

nwahogfan1

I was expecting more from an Arkansas coach.  Maybe not a whole lot more but more.  Especially in recruiting.  For Mike to be successful he needs to sign better players.  He is making over 2 million a year and we fans deserve better. 

November signing period needs to be loaded with studs.

We will see.

WarPig88

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 22, 2015, 09:02:47 pm
I was expecting more from an Arkansas coach.  Maybe not a whole lot more but more.  Especially in recruiting.  For Mike to be successful he needs to sign better players.  He is making over 2 million a year and we fans deserve better. 

November signing period needs to be loaded with studs.

We will see.

Heath was probably our best recruiting coach but unfortunately most fans are more concerned with winning games than recruiting class rankings.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: jjdlc on July 22, 2015, 08:03:23 pm
You don't know that.  There is no guarantee that this next season is going to be the unmitigated disaster that many here seem to believe.  CMA has more talent left to work with than his first season here, and probably the second.  The 2016 recruiting class is also very fertile.  My point is, the opportunity is there for CMA to get this back on track quickly, it just remains to be seen if he can do it.  It is a mighty big IF. 
At this point his first year had more talent than year 5 will have.

The Hogfather

jjdlc

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on July 22, 2015, 09:20:23 pm
At this point his first year had more talent than year 5 will have.

Seriously?  Go compare the rosters.

ADavisTheGOAT

Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Kevin

Wonder what this thread would look like if our head coach was not mike Anderson. Quite a bit different I bet
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

poloprince

Please stop with the death of a regime nonsense. It isn't happening.
$PoLoPrInCe$

greasy_corner

Quote from: Kevin on July 22, 2015, 09:45:33 pm
Wonder what this thread would look like if our head coach was not mike Anderson. Quite a bit different I bet

I agree. It would be quite a bit worse. 

Letsroll1200

I can't wait for next season for the Razorback program! This team will respond to this adversity!!!! I'm excited that MA is the head coach and he will continue to put a great product on the court.

It will be his most challenging  job as a coach but this guy will get his players to believe.

RazorPiggie

So we're ok with rebuilding after 1 NCAA win in 4 years next year will be 5? I find that unacceptable.

j-mann

its a sad day for mike  but i wouild try to be wisc  or UVA south  and try to recruit guys that can hit J basically 5 pat B i would hit Miss and bama  TX hard play man to man play in the 60's points wise    and i wouild save 1 to 2 spots for Arkansas kids to walk on  :razorback:
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

WarPig88

Quote from: Kevin on July 22, 2015, 09:45:33 pm

I would bet you wouldn't be in it trying to gin up hate toward the coach for one thing.

j-mann

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 22, 2015, 10:36:03 pm
So we're ok with rebuilding after 1 NCAA win in 4 years next year will be 5? I find that unacceptable.
+ 1   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Slater

The program has improved every season Mike Anderson has been head coach, not sure what people want or realistically expect. This is not good, but Coach Anderson does not need to get abused for this. Mike Anderson is an excellent basketball coach and an even better person, makes me proud to have him as head coach. Hopefully some others feel the same way.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

sickboy

Quote from: Slater on July 22, 2015, 10:51:02 pm
The program has improved every season Mike Anderson has been head coach, not sure what people want or realistically expect. This is not good, but Coach Anderson does not need to get abused for this. Mike Anderson is an excellent basketball coach and an even better person, makes me proud to have him as head coach. Hopefully some others feel the same way.

Completely agree. Mike Anderson has done a fantastic job. No sane person can honestly entertain the idea that his seat is even remotely hot.

Nipsey Mussle

July 22, 2015, 11:33:33 pm #45 Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 12:06:32 am by BBsTheMan
Damn guys, step away from the ledge. We just finished a 27 win season and although Hogville has us at 0-4003 next season, we haven't actually played a game yet. Also, here's a newsflash, the 3 involved could easily still get back on the team. Thomas wasn't playing this year anyway, and it's a very real possibility that Beard and Jacorey get back on the team and simply miss a few games. We are a long way from November, lots of wounds can heal between now and then. AND Kapita may very well come and play here in 16-17. I'd hate to be positive and all, but he may be able to spend the year honing his craft and come in as a better overall player.

I swear, you guys (Not necessarily you Wizard) underreact to good news and overreact to bad news.

Nipsey Mussle

hawginbigd1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 22, 2015, 11:33:33 pm
Damn guys, step away from the ledge. We just finished a 27 win season and although Hogville has us at 0-4003 next season, we haven't actually played a game yet. Also, here's a newsflash, the 3 involved could easily still get back on the team. Thomas wasn't playing this year anyway, and it's a very real possibility that Beard and Jacorey get back on the team and simply miss a few games. We are a long way from November, lots of wounds can heal between now and then. AND Kapita may very well come and play here in 16-17. I'd hate to be positive and all, but he may be able to spend the year honing his craft and come in as a better overall player.

I swear, you guys (Not necessarily you Wizard) underreact to good news and overreact to bad news.
Since sec tourney where has the good news been that was under reacted on? Seriously down on the roster and recruiting already, today just makes that seem as a paper cut compared to a 77 stitch gash. These are serious charges, we either lose them or we are saddled with being that program! Can you say Florida State?

WilsonHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on July 22, 2015, 10:36:03 pm

Am I "okay" with it? No, not at all. I'd much rather be pre-season top 5, win 30+ games, and make a Final Four run.

I'd also like to be wealthy enough to retire and never have to work again.

Neither is going to happen, and so I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/